Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why no more receivers with built in AC outlet?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Recently upgraded receivers and noticed they dont seem to make them anymore with an AC out on the back. I used to keep my sub plugged into the back of my previous receiver so it would power on every time i'd turn on the receiver. Now obviously without the AC out it powers on when it gets the LFE signal from the receiver. Problem is, when listening at low volumes the sub is constantly shutting off. Seems like the only way to keep this from happening is to crank the channel level all the way up for the sub on the receiver. Any other solutions besides always leaving it on?
Old 10-05-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Why no more receivers with built in AC outlet?

I got my Onkyo 705 back in late 2007 and it has an AC and a PHONO. It seems like 2008-2009 was when they started to release receivers with less "old school" attachments. It sucks. Now if my receiver conks out I'll have to go through a secondary market to get something that will fit my needs.
Old 10-05-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I hate that they keep dropping features from receivers like this. I've just left my subwoofer turned on all the time for the past 3 years and it hasn't died yet, and I also have the sub level on the receiver as high as it will go so the sub will get the highest signal possible.

I bought my Pioneer receiver mainly for the excellent upconversion to 1080p of analog sources- hope there'll at least be an external box I can buy to do this in the future if they drop that capability from receivers.
Old 10-05-13, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I got my Onkyo 705 back in late 2007 and it has an AC and a PHONO. It seems like 2008-2009 was when they started to release receivers with less "old school" attachments. It sucks. Now if my receiver conks out I'll have to go through a secondary market to get something that will fit my needs.
In 2007, they were definitely still including this feature. I actually just bought the Audio Technica LP120 turntable that has a built in pre-amp. However, according to numerous reviews, it is supposed to sound much better with the pre amp removed which of course i cant do because my receiver has no phono input with a pre amp.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I hate that they keep dropping features from receivers like this. I've just left my subwoofer turned on all the time for the past 3 years and it hasn't died yet, and I also have the sub level on the receiver as high as it will go so the sub will get the highest signal possible.

I bought my Pioneer receiver mainly for the excellent upconversion to 1080p of analog sources- hope there'll at least be an external box I can buy to do this in the future if they drop that capability from receivers.
Youve had your sub on for 3 years straight? How could the internal amp not have burnt out? Also, doesnt the bass overpower all the other channels with it turned all the way up?? BTW, I have a Pioneer also VSX-1122.
Old 10-05-13, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
In 2007, they were definitely still including this feature. I actually just bought the Audio Technica LP120 turntable that has a built in pre-amp. However, according to numerous reviews, it is supposed to sound much better with the pre amp removed which of course i cant do because my receiver has no phono input with a pre amp.

Youve had your sub on for 3 years straight? How could the internal amp not have burnt out? Also, doesnt the bass overpower all the other channels with it turned all the way up?? BTW, I have a Pioneer also VSX-1122.

I was given a "budget" turntable (which can be found in the Vinyl Thread in the music section) and it sounds great coming through my receiver.

I've had my powered subwoofer for almost 15 years. I got it when The Ghost and the Darkness came out on LD. It's 100 watts. As long as you take care of your shit the speakers will last you a loooooooong ass time.

I do not turn up the LFE channel. It's right where it's supposed to be.
Old 10-05-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several thoughts to various posts.....

- A sub through that crappy AC passthrough? I would avoid, although my sub is actually more powerful than my receiver, so maybe it's different....but I'd check the AC power levels, regardless. This is why they've been dropped, they aren't all that great. Nice place for an external fan, though, for cabinet cooling.
- One solution for one problem: Turn the LFE up in the receiver to make sure the signal is high enough for auto-on to work, then turn the volume down on the sub itself. Assuming you have those options.
- Phono preamps on Amazon start at $14. And that's probably higher quality than half the ones built into receivers.
- DVDO Edge is a great external scaler, currently $400.
Old 10-06-13, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Several thoughts to various posts.....

- A sub through that crappy AC passthrough? I would avoid, although my sub is actually more powerful than my receiver, so maybe it's different....but I'd check the AC power levels, regardless. This is why they've been dropped, they aren't all that great. Nice place for an external fan, though, for cabinet cooling.
- One solution for one problem: Turn the LFE up in the receiver to make sure the signal is high enough for auto-on to work, then turn the volume down on the sub itself. Assuming you have those options.
- Phono preamps on Amazon start at $14. And that's probably higher quality than half the ones built into receivers.
- DVDO Edge is a great external scaler, currently $400.
I disagree. I've always powered subs with the AC out on my receivers and have never had an issue. I also disagree they dropped them because they "arent all that great". Most people used them to power other components in their systems so everything would power on with the receiver. Being that most of these components are now obsolete (EQ's, cassette decks, tuners, etc) this is most likely why they are not made anymore.

As far as your solution, yes it would work. However, every time I'd want to use the receiver for something other than movies i'd have to go back to the sub and turn the gain back up again.
Old 10-06-13, 03:12 AM

Is there some type of device that plugs into the wall where you can plug in both the receiver and sub and have the sub turn on automatically with the receiver?
Old 10-06-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
As far as your solution, yes it would work. However, every time I'd want to use the receiver for something other than movies i'd have to go back to the sub and turn the gain back up again.
Why? It should be set up for everything, it's the same receiver. I should clarify: You may not need to turn the LFE all the way up. When I did this, I turned it up until I was sure the auto-on would always function, then I did the rest of the volume setup with the sub's volume control. Not sure offhand of what level it is in the receiver, not there to look it up atm.

And yes, there are sensing power strips where there is a 'main' outlet, and slave outlets that turn on with it. First one I found, never used it personally:
http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG...er+strip+slave
Old 10-06-13, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why? It should be set up for everything, it's the same receiver. I should clarify: You may not need to turn the LFE all the way up. When I did this, I turned it up until I was sure the auto-on would always function, then I did the rest of the volume setup with the sub's volume control. Not sure offhand of what level it is in the receiver, not there to look it up atm.
Because I keep the sub volume much higher on the receiver when listening to music then I do when watching movies. I just switched from auto on/off to on so it's always on.
Old 10-06-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess we have different viewpoints on audio and electricity.