Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Chef: New Orleans (Bravo) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/02/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Top Chef: New Orleans (Bravo) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/02/13

Emmy and James Beard Award-winning series Top Chef is back and heads to New Orleans. This season kicks-off with a new pre-premiere digital video series, Padma’s Picks. Padma’s Picks gives one of New Orleans’ most talented chefs the opportunity to cook their way on to the actual show. Host and Judge Padma Lakshmi visits some of The Big Easy’s most celebrated establishments to find 10 of the best and brightest chefs from New Orleans. These chefs will then battle head-to-head to make it to the finale of Padma’s Picks with the ultimate winner earning a coveted spot on this season’s cast.

Returning to the judges table in NOLA for Top Chef Season 11 are lead judge Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Hugh Acheson, and New Orlean’s own Emeril Lagasse, alongside host Padma Lakshmi. This season will up the ante against the backdrop of the gastronomically diverse city of New Orleans -- and the chefs will be tasked with serving up food for top entertainers, culinary stars and celebrity guest judges including: Jon Favreau, Lea Michelle, Anthony Mackie, Questlove, Leah Chase, Paul Prudhomme, Jacques Pepin, David Chang, John Besh, and Eddie Huang as well as local legends Kermit Ruffins and Dr. John.

Additionally, Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen, the Emmy-winning, groundbreaking digital video series hosted by Tom Colicchio, returns for its third season. Each week, two eliminated cheftestants face-off to compete for the ultimate prize -- redemption and a spot in the Top Chef finale.

Premieres tonight. Anyone have time for this? Better yet, anyone still interested or are all of you so backed up?

I haven't watched Top Chef regularly since the NY season. Kind of lost interest during the Texas season and didn't have time for Seattle.

Going to try to come back for the new season tonight, but it's going to be hard.
Old 10-02-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Top Chef: New Orleans (Bravo) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 10/02/13

I'm backed up, and I haven't liked some of the creative direction in the last couple seasons, but I watch with the family so I'm in.

Thanks for starting the thread! (I know you start almost all the threads, but still...)
Old 10-02-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still watch it. It's nothing great but I enjoy it. With Esquire you can certainly get your fill of Top Chef reruns now too.
Old 10-02-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was all about this show in seasons 4 - 8 and then nothing. I don't know if All Stars was just a good stopping point or if Texas really did wreck it.
Old 10-02-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Coming off a surprisingly good Masters season I'm worried about a let-down here but I'll watch purely based on the NOLA location.
Old 10-05-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Love how the "sexy chef" said people think he's a douchebag. Yep, that's what I was thinking!

That person who said she's used to just taking orders and not making decisions is either getting a dramatic edit or making an early exit.
Old 10-05-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm backed up, and I haven't liked some of the creative direction in the last couple seasons, but I watch with the family so I'm in.
The monitor in backroom where the judges hashed out their decisions was another poor direction. Really broke up the editing and pace needlessly.

On the whole I thought this episode was weirdly edited as well. I know that early episodes suffer from too many contestants to focus on, but I could never get a clear sense who was making what and why the glamour shots of the dishes looked so different to what was being served.

I was iffy going in this year, so I'm giving it a couple more weeks.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-05-13 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap, I forgot this was starting. I am usually a sucker for cooking shows and this used to be my all-time favorite. I didn't even bother with Texas though (and didn't like the last Masters at all). I am debating catching it on a rerun or just giving to whole season a pass.
Old 10-05-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Crap, I forgot this was starting. I am usually a sucker for cooking shows and this used to be my all-time favorite. I didn't even bother with Texas though (and didn't like the last Masters at all). I am debating catching it on a rerun or just giving to whole season a pass.
Bravo repeats the hell out of this show. You should be able to catch a repeat of episode 1 this week before episode 2 starts unless you don't have time to pick it up.
Old 10-05-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bravo repeats the hell out of this show. You should be able to catch a repeat of episode 1 this week before episode 2 starts unless you don't have time to pick it up.
Yeah, I know, just trying to figure if it is worth it. How was the episode?
Old 10-06-13, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife asked a question that I didn't know the answer to -- how does Bravo decide whether a particular chef goes on this show or Masters? One of the chefs this season (Carlos Gaytan) has a Michelin Star. He's competing against a sous chef (Patty Vega) who, as davidh777 notes, is used to taking instructions, not calling the shots. How is that fair?
Old 10-06-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The playlive polls at the bottom of the screen are obnoxiously big.
Old 10-06-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Thought it was a good start. Focus was about the food and not petty drama.

Ramon was the right pick. His "Thai" dish looked awful and adding ice made it even worse.

The setting this season and the unique ingredients should make things interesting I think.

The blonde Aussie girl Janine is cute. At least there is that.
Old 10-09-13, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The blonde Aussie girl Janine is cute. At least there is that.
She goes so far beyond cute, IMO. Unbelievably gorgeous. I can't remember a girl on TV I was more in love with.

Surprisingly, my wife did not love her.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Love how the "sexy chef" said people think he's a douchebag. Yep, that's what I was thinking!
Sorry bro, but when you're a dead ringer for 1955 George McFly, I think you're overstating your looks.
Old 10-11-13, 05:54 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I like the group of chefs, I think it could be a good season.

I find it borderline hysterical how Padma acts sometimes. She is certainly attractive but she is no where near as hot or important as she thinks she is.
Old 11-11-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

This season is forgettable so far. Both good and bad. It's not so awful as to inspire howls, like in the Texas season. But nothing noteworthy, none of the chefs has blown me away yet.
Old 11-11-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
This season is forgettable so far. Both good and bad. It's not so awful as to inspire howls, like in the Texas season. But nothing noteworthy, none of the chefs has blown me away yet.
Yeah, I agree with this. TC used to be my most anticipated show each week. I haven't felt that at all this season. Maybe because TC Masters just got finished? I think the one guy left from NOLA has the best chance to take it.
Old 11-12-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NOLA guy (Justin) does seem like a contender. Nina and Carrie also seem very strong.

I do have to remember that this occurs every season, because it takes a while to know the chefs and their styles and be interested in what they're doing. But this season seems particularly bland.
Old 11-12-13, 12:11 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

It's been not great at all - there is less and less talk of the food or cooking.
Old 11-12-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they seem to be showing less of judge's table. But I'm not sure if that's a function of where they are in the season; as the chefs get whittled down, it might be easier to show more of that.
Old 11-14-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Stephanie continues to amuse me every week.
Old 12-30-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here we are with only 7 left, and the season is still very boring. I have no drastic complaints, the challenges aren't awful, the chefs seem talented, but there's nothing much to discuss.
Old 12-30-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the show has basically become horribly stale and overly pretentious at every turn. This will most likely be my final go with it.
Old 01-09-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm pretty irritated about tonight's results. So they have an immunity challenge at final 6. Then they force them into a group challenge where, based on the judges comments, two chefs have at worst the second and third best dishes of the night, but the third chef single-handedly costs them the challenge. Of course, he has immunity and can't go home.

This late in the game either there shouldn't be immunity, or there shouldn't be group challenges. It should be about getting the best chefs to the finale.

Of course, I'm a little in love with Stephanie so my reaction probably should be viewed through that prism.

Last Chance Kitchen results
Spoiler:
Boo!
Old 01-09-14, 05:13 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'm pretty irritated about tonight's results. So they have an immunity challenge at final 6. Then they force them into a group challenge where, based on the judges comments, two chefs have at worst the second and third best dishes of the night, but the third chef single-handedly costs them the challenge. Of course, he has immunity and can't go home.

This late in the game either there shouldn't be immunity, or there shouldn't be group challenges. It should be about getting the best chefs to the finale.

Of course, I'm a little in love with Stephanie so my reaction probably should be viewed through that prism.

Last Chance Kitchen results
Spoiler:
Boo!
Yeah, it was the most annoying episode ever. First of all it is incredibly dumb to have immunity when only 6 left, and stupendously dumb when you have 2 3 man teams. Really the judges needed to call a mulligan and say "dude, you get a chance in LCK but we are not sending one of these chefs home because you made 2 piles of crap because you had immunity". It was not dramatic or shocking it was dumb.

I did like the dynamic between the 2 chefs though. It may have been totally fake, but their trashing each others teams dishes was kinda funny.

I swear Stephanie is on the show to make people think she is straight. It's pretty funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.