Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad Unanswered Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Breaking Bad Unanswered Questions

Now that it's over, is there any pressing issues from the course of the series that you wish the writers had explored more?

For me, I'd still liked to have seen more about how a brilliant mind ends up teaching high school chemistry.

I don't think the show ever explicitly mentioned it, but I assumed that there was a love-triangle thing at Gray Matter and that was the reason Walt left. And I'd buy the explanation that after leaving Gray Matter, things just never worked out for him, career-wise.

But in the cold open flashback in "Full Measure," we see Walt and Skyler with a realtor looking at the house they end up buying. In that flashback, Walt works at Sandia Labs and appears to have quite a promising future. So something significant happened at Sandia Labs that led him to the path of a H.S. science teacher.
Old 09-30-13, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad Unanswered Questions

Why Hank's mineral fixation?
Who exactly was Gus before drug kingpin?
Why couldn't anyone have a baby on the island?
Old 09-30-13, 05:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Gus Fring -- Steven Bauer tells him "I know who you REALLY are" but we (the audience) never find out.

Giving his wavering accent, I think that's he's Buggin' Out from Bed Stuy.
Old 09-30-13, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

What made Los Pollos Hermanos chicken taste so good?
Old 09-30-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty incredible when other than the one posed in the OP I can't think of a single significant unanswered question.

There are little ones like why did Mike leave the force?
Old 09-30-13, 06:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6092069.story

'Breaking Bad' finale: Top 10 unanswered questions

Sunday's series finale, "Felina," might have been too tidy for some critics, but it certainly didn't tie up every narrative loose end in the "Breaking Bad" universe. There are still plenty of questions we'll never see answered. Here are a few of the most pressing:

1. Did Huell ever make it out of that motel room? If not, we at least hope the place has free HBO -- or, uh, AMC.

2. What is Saul up to? Is he really living a quiet, anonymous life in Nebraska? If so, what happened to all his tacky ties?

3. Where is the rest of Walt's fortune? Walt shot Uncle Jack in the head before the nasty old buzzard could tell him where he'd stashed those barrels full of cash. So where are they? And will the government get the money once the cache is discovered?

4. What really happened with Walt at Gray Matter? This is the grandaddy of all unanswered "Breaking Bad" questions. We know Walt was pushed out of the company and forced to turn to teaching, but we'll never know why, exactly -- or if Walt's resentment of Gretchen and Elliot was at all justified.

5. Just who was Gus Fring, really? Walter's greatest nemesis claimed to be a Chilean national who emigrated to Mexico in 1986, and later to the United States, but as Hank (may he rest in peace) once pointed out, there are no records of him ever living in the South American country. Once he gets involved with the Mexican cartel, Gus escapes execution at the hands of Don Eladio's henchman Tio Salamanca because of who he is back in Chile -- a strong suggestion that he was associated with dictator Augusto Pinochet.

6. Is Marie still a klepto? The last time Marie's kleptomania resurfaced, she stole a souvenir spoon from an open house while Hank was recovering in the hospital near the beginning of Season 4. Given the stress she's been under lately, we're guessing her shoplifting compulsion may return.

7. What will happen to Jesse? Sure, he was pretty ecstatic to flee the neo-Nazi compound; who wouldn't be? But, sadly, the good mood probably won't last long. Don't forget: That videotaped confession, in which he 'fesses to a whole litany of crimes, is still floating around somewhere, and Jesse no longer has Saul to work his legal magic or help him disappear. (See item No. 2) And even if Jesse manages to escape with impunity, he's still one damaged soul.

8. What happened to Brock? Given the fate of his poor mother, we hope little Brock stumbles on those barrels of Walt's cash (see item No. 3) and finds himself a good therapist.

9. Oh, yeah, and what about Ted? The last time we saw Skyler's hapless boss and former lover in the first episode of Season 5, "Live Free or Die," he was in the hospital with severe head trauma following an unfortunate incident involving Saul's goons, an unpaid IRS bill and a loose area rug. Did Ted, and his business, ever recover?

10. Most urgent of all: Why would anyone drink camomile tea with soy milk and Stevia? Seriously, that's disgusting.
In addition to #6, was it ever explained what the fascination or significance was with the color purple?
Old 09-30-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Tio Salamamca"

facepalm
Old 09-30-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My thoughts

1. Did Huell ever make it out of that motel room? If not, we at least hope the place has free HBO -- or, uh, AMC.
Yes. He was in that hotel room because he believed Walt was coming for him. When Walt went on the run, there was no need for protection. Now that Walt is dead, there's definitely no need for protection.

2. What is Saul up to? Is he really living a quiet, anonymous life in Nebraska? If so, what happened to all his tacky ties?
I'm satisfied with the hints that he's managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska.

3. Where is the rest of Walt's fortune? Walt shot Uncle Jack in the head before the nasty old buzzard could tell him where he'd stashed those barrels full of cash. So where are they? And will the government get the money once the cache is discovered?
Would Jack really need to hide that money? I'm sure it's probably at his compound somewhere. Although that compound brings up another unanswered question. For the entire show, they had to be sneaky about where to cook. In the RV, in a superlab hidden under an industrial laundry facility, inside bug bombed houses. Yet Jack's gang just set up shop in a Quonset Hut like it was no big deal.

4. What really happened with Walt at Gray Matter? This is the grandaddy of all unanswered "Breaking Bad" questions. We know Walt was pushed out of the company and forced to turn to teaching, but we'll never know why, exactly -- or if Walt's resentment of Gretchen and Elliot was at all justified.
Walt's "I'm in the Empire business speech to Jesse makes me think that Walt was not pushed out of Gray Matter, but he left on his own. If Gretchen and Elliot ever did something to make Walt's feelings justified, I'm sure the writers would have gone into that in a bit more detail.

5. Just who was Gus Fring, really? Walter's greatest nemesis claimed to be a Chilean national who emigrated to Mexico in 1986, and later to the United States, but as Hank (may he rest in peace) once pointed out, there are no records of him ever living in the South American country. Once he gets involved with the Mexican cartel, Gus escapes execution at the hands of Don Eladio's henchman Tio Salamanca because of who he is back in Chile -- a strong suggestion that he was associated with dictator Augusto Pinochet.
I'm satisfied with the hints that Fring had some sort of connection to Pinochet's regime.

6. Is Marie still a klepto? The last time Marie's kleptomania resurfaced, she stole a souvenir spoon from an open house while Hank was recovering in the hospital near the beginning of Season 4. Given the stress she's been under lately, we're guessing her shoplifting compulsion may return.
If the show stopped showing her stealing shit, I assume she got the kleptomania under control. Now that she's a widow, maybe she'll start stealing stuff again.

7. What will happen to Jesse? Sure, he was pretty ecstatic to flee the neo-Nazi compound; who wouldn't be? But, sadly, the good mood probably won't last long. Don't forget: That videotaped confession, in which he 'fesses to a whole litany of crimes, is still floating around somewhere, and Jesse no longer has Saul to work his legal magic or help him disappear. (See item No. 2) And even if Jesse manages to escape with impunity, he's still one damaged soul.
If there was anything about this show that I'm glad they left open ended, I'm glad it's Jesse's story. Does he go to Alaska? Does he end up behind bars for his role in everything? Does his reckless driving out of that compound end up in a horrible collision? Jesse was so broken, I don't see him having a happy ending, but maybe he looks at his release as a chance to move his life down a happier path.

8. What happened to Brock? Given the fate of his poor mother, we hope little Brock stumbles on those barrels of Walt's cash (see item No. 3) and finds himself a good therapist.
Brock's being taken care of by his grandmother.

9. Oh, yeah, and what about Ted? The last time we saw Skyler's hapless boss and former lover in the first episode of Season 5, "Live Free or Die," he was in the hospital with severe head trauma following an unfortunate incident involving Saul's goons, an unpaid IRS bill and a loose area rug. Did Ted, and his business, ever recover?
I don't really care about Ted. I'm assuming his ending was not a happy one.

10. Most urgent of all: Why would anyone drink camomile tea with soy milk and Stevia? Seriously, that's disgusting.
agreed.
Old 09-30-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Gus Fring's background remains the biggest mystery IMO. An article I read earlier today mentioned that it was a good bet that Gus was a big time politically connected guy in Chile, hence the cartel backing away from him at first. No evidence to support anything though.

The writing was on the wall, or at least hinted at, regarding why Walt left GM. Gretchen went with Elliot and Walt eventually cashed in and left for 5K.

Mike's story of sticking a gun in a suspect's mouth, and Hank threatening to dig around regarding his background, indicated that Mike was probably outed as a dirty cop. No surprise.

Ted probably still in Hospital and Brock probably went with his grandmother who was seen in an earlier episode.

I don't consider Marie's proclivities, clothing color or kleptomania, to really be an unanswered question. She was always rather quirky.

Personally I think Jesse not being wanted for questioning is the biggest hole, as Marie would spill it to the DEA that he was working with Hank.
Old 09-30-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
For me, I'd still liked to have seen more about how a brilliant mind ends up teaching high school chemistry.

I don't think the show ever explicitly mentioned it, but I assumed that there was a love-triangle thing at Gray Matter and that was the reason Walt left. And I'd buy the explanation that after leaving Gray Matter, things just never worked out for him, career-wise.
I might be wrong but I think this was semi answered in one of the early episodes. I believe it was around season two or so when Gretchen confronted Walt about letting his family believe that her and Elliott were taking care of his medical bills. They met at the restaurant and had a fight over him involving her in his lie. Then Walt brought up things from the past and it sounded like they had an argument at one point in time in the past and wound up leaving her which I assume led to their breakup and I would guess probably subsequently Gretchen and Elliott getting together and Walt eventually leaving. We didn't get a definite answer but I think it can be sort of pieced together.
Old 10-01-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

who called the cops at the end?
Old 10-01-13, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
who called the cops at the end?
The M60 isn't the most quite gun around, I would assume SOMEBODY had to hear it
Old 10-01-13, 11:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

While the camp was likely isolated, I'm sure those M60 rounds were heard from a distance.
Old 10-01-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

They had a falling out. It happens. And then Walt never had the confidence, connections, or people skills to start up another company or place himself in another one. Walt may be a brilliant scientist, but he lacked the skill set needed to navigate through a corporate environment, so he ends up an underachiever. He was fortunate enough to have been in with the right group of people in his youth, but once he was out of school and fell out with Gray Matter, he was cut off from his 'circle' and on his own.

Gus was one of the Chicago Boys. This could have been a fascinating backstory.
Old 10-01-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They had a falling out. It happens. And then Walt never had the confidence, connections, or people skills to start up another company or place himself in another one. Walt may be a brilliant scientist, but he lacked the skill set needed to navigate through a corporate environment, so he ends up an underachiever. He was fortunate enough to have been in with the right group of people in his youth, but once he was out of school and fell out with Gray Matter, he was cut off from his 'circle' and on his own.
But he seemed to bounce back pretty well after Gray Matter when he worked at Sandia Labs
Old 10-01-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a few from the first few episodes. After Walt & Jesse split after the first cook, Hank (maybe it was another cop/fed) finds Walt's mask in the desert and says they will have it analyzed. Don't remember anything happening with that. I also seem to remember they had an idea an RV was involved but nothing happened with that until Hank found out about the RV at that gas station.
Old 10-01-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
There is a few from the first few episodes. After Walt & Jesse split after the first cook, Hank (maybe it was another cop/fed) finds Walt's mask in the desert and says they will have it analyzed. Don't remember anything happening with that. I also seem to remember they had an idea an RV was involved but nothing happened with that until Hank found out about the RV at that gas station.
Didn't the lab analysis reveal that it was the property of Walt's high school? That's how Hank starts the trail by going to Walt's school and discovering that lab equipment had been stolen.
Old 10-01-13, 12:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always wondered how Gail specifically became involved with Gus. How did they meet? He certainly didn't seem the type to rub shoulders with the criminal underworld.
Old 10-01-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I've always wondered how Gail specifically became involved with Gus. How did they meet? He certainly didn't seem the type to rub shoulders with the criminal underworld.
I always just assumed that Gus "sponsored" him and probably paid for his education.
Old 10-01-13, 01:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Walt & Gretchen were a couple at one time, so I assume her falling in love with Elliott was the reason Walt left Gray Matter.

I remember they specifically said Gale won a scholarship from Gus in Season 3 I think.
Old 10-01-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Walt & Gretchen were a couple at one time, so I assume her falling in love with Elliott was the reason Walt left Gray Matter.

I remember they specifically said Gale won a scholarship from Gus in Season 3 I think.
Like I said it was mentioned in a season two episode I believe that Walt and Gretchen had broken up and it sounded like it was Walt's fault. I think they had some kind of a fight at her parent's cabin or something if I remember the details and he left her. The details are sketchy but I would guess that Elliott and her were friends as well and after her and Walt broke up they got together at some point. It's not hard figuring out that Walt was maybe bitter over that or there were bad feelings there between the three and he either left on his own or was driven out.
Old 10-02-13, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
But he seemed to bounce back pretty well after Gray Matter when he worked at Sandia Labs
Don't remember the specifics of the Sandia Labs gig, but might he have been an underling there and he felt he should be top dog, but since he wasn't a founder, that wasn't really going to happen.

As a teacher, he would be the top dog for 30 students (yes, I realize there's a principal/school board/other things, but for the 50 minutes of class, he is king)
Old 10-02-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

True but in that case he could have also taught at a University. Must have been a reason he was at a HS as opposed to that.
Old 10-02-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I find questions like these pretty funny. They are very inconsequential in the scheme of things. This show tied up all the most important loose ends and left hardly any secrets unexposed. In a day when we have shows like LOST that bring up one mystery after another with no explanation, I'm thrilled that Breaking Bad is breaking that trend and has produced a five season show with extremely satisfying closure on all fronts. THIS is the way a story should be told.
Old 10-02-13, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Other unanswered questions:

We know Walter's middle name is Hartwell. Did we ever find out Skyler's middle name?
Did Jesse's brother graduate from marijuana to harder drugs?
Is the woman who is in the room next to Tio Salmanaca at the nursing home OK? Did she survive the explosion? Did she mention seeing Walt to anybody?
Did that guy who pushed Kuby off the tracks during the train heist scratch his bumper?

And, of course, who spray-painted "Heisenberg" on the wall of the White residence?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.