Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

English transplant Stuart Pritchard (Stephen Merchant, The Office) is a web designer who owns a house. Jessica (Christine Woods), his attractive tenant, is a struggling actress and aspiring web series writer-director. After learning that Courtney (Sarah Wright), a pretty ingénue who is rehearsing with Jessica, will be going to the opening of a posh nightclub, he manages to get on the guest list.

Written by Stephen Merchant & Lee Eisenberg & Gene Stupnitsky; directed by Stephen Merchant.

Trailer:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wPEYvhOL_dI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8 episode 1st season
Old 09-29-13, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Really liked the comedy shows HBO has been doing the last few years, Veep, Family Tree, Life's Too Short. I have high hopes for this.
Old 09-29-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

I'll give this a shot.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Really liked the comedy shows HBO has been doing the last few years, Veep, Family Tree, Life's Too Short. I have high hopes for this.
Yep, they've been entertaining. Veep is surprisingly excellent. Family Tree was good. Life's Too Short was good - even though Gervais continues to follow his template (The Office (UK) and Extras).
Old 09-29-13, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Never even heard of this show...is this a 6 episode one and done show?
Old 09-29-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Never even heard of this show...is this a 6 episode one and done show?
Read post #1, It's 8

Hopefully Merchant's character gets to mingle with lots of hot chicks.

Already a fan of Christine Woods.
Old 09-29-13, 11:37 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually think Merchant is more talented than Gervais

I saw Merchant's stand up show, also called Hello Ladies (get hold of it if you can) and it was hilarious

I am hanging out for this show.
Old 09-30-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Definitely enjoyed this. A little slapsticky, but fun nonetheless.
Old 09-30-13, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was a US airing of his stand up show (which Desmond pointed out had the same title), so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this is a sitcom. Love me some Smerch. Can't wait to get some time to watch it.
Old 09-30-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Merchant killed it during the lip sync off on Fallon last week.

Spoiler:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R4ajQ-foj2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-01-13, 03:40 AM

Good to hear it was good, thanks for the youtube heads up

I'm gonna save all eps and watch this show in one go at the end
Old 10-01-13, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2

Spoiler:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R4ajQ-foj2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

got home from work and watched this clip. It was sooo funny, i was rofl. All three of them were great !
Old 10-01-13, 07:20 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I really liked this. It started off a bit slow, but there's a great payoff at the end in the club.

I have a thing for Christine Woods, so I am happy to see her in a starring role here.
Old 10-01-13, 08:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The biggest problem with this show is that the lead character is such an insufferable jerk I have no desire to see him succeed.
Old 10-01-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
The biggest problem with this show is that the lead character is such an insufferable jerk I have no desire to see him succeed.
Is he?

He just seemed like a lonely nerd to me.

I don't think an insufferable jerk would have done all the nice things he did during the episode.
Old 10-01-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Merchant has always come off as a bit of a prick to me, but you know, in a lovable way.
Old 10-01-13, 12:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I love Stephen Merchant - I like him better than Gervais, I find him way more likeable.

Have you seen the lip sync contest he did with Jimmy Fallon and Joseph Gordon Levitt? Amazing stuff.

I enjoyed the show, I like the lead girl, I liked her from that one show that was cancelled with Olivia Munn
Old 10-02-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I didn't find him an "insufferable jerk". Kinda awkward and trying a little to hard.

I enjoyed the show. I like the relaxed pace, not feeling pressured to have all kinds of jokes right off the top. The club scene was great, I fell off the couch laughing at the final humiliation of the condom in his pocket being revealed.

I might enjoy this better if I wait a couple months so I can have all the episodes together. I really wished I had the second episode to watch after the first.
Old 10-03-13, 01:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally watched this last night.

My biggest complaint is that it's more frustrating than funny. Merchant's character isn't as much of an insufferable jerk as he is a clueless dolt. Just can't quite wrap my head around that part -- seems a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-03-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't feel very British unlike everything Gervais is involved in, probably because of the two writers from the US version of The Officer being involved.

Merchant's character isn't as much of an insufferable jerk as he is a clueless dolt
I think that's the point of his character. He's so clueless when it comes to dealing with women and being liked that you laugh and cringe at his attempts to become close to them. I think it's relate able because most of us at some point in time have known someone like that(or are someone like that).
Old 10-03-13, 05:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

A grown man who gets suckered into buying drinks for a table of strangers to the tune of 1k? Just hard to wrap my head around it I guess. Like I said, just kind of frustrating to watch and to think there really are guys like this out there (yikes).
Old 10-03-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I would call Stuart an insufferable jerk yet, but he sure treated his best friend like a piece of shit.
Old 10-03-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2

Spoiler:

Levitt was amazing as well. In fact the entire thing was the best thing I think I have seen on Fallon's show.
Old 10-03-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Curb Your Enthusiasm fan?
Old 10-04-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Loved it. The club scene was epic cringing at its best. In for the season
Old 10-04-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I enjoyed this. Will continue to watch.

I think Stephen's clueless is partially due to his desperation. He's desperate enough that it blinds him to the situation he puts himself in. He's basically trying too hard. And I do agree that he's definitely a bit of a prick - at least the way he treats Wade. The character isn't far off from David Brent - embarrassing, lonely, a bit clueless and dickish.

It seems he's most funny, charming, honest and human when he's alone with Jessica.

Loved the awkward scene when they arrive outside the club. The car door, crawling out the drivers side, struggling to carry Kives and toss the keys past the valet.

Also liked how he was about to tell the one chick "you can fuck off" but pulled back in time.

Wade pull outs his notebook (at a club no less) to show a picture of his separated wife to a chick who didn't really wan't to see it in the first place.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.