Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Highalnder 2-Film Set: Anniversary Edition

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about this...

1) Which version of the first film is included in this pack? I read reviews for the standard American release, and it seems like a rush job. I don't like to import movies, but I heard there was an "Immortal Edition" Blu-Ray from the UK that's a lot better, by a company called Optimum.

2) Which versions of "The Quickening" are included? I hated the theatrical release, and I know there's at least two more out there, one called a Renegade Version.

Amazon currently lists the Optimum UK version at 24 pounds + shipping from a third party, or $38.50 US. Any better ideas?
Old 09-28-13, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Highalnder 2-Film Set: Anniversary Edition

Might need to browse around for that info. Have you googled for it?
Old 09-28-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I own that UK Blu-ray of the first highlander - I have the steelbook version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-B...rds=highlander

It's also a region B release, so you won't be able to play it on a non-region free Bu-ray player.

I own the Renegade Cut of the second film and that one was released by Lionsgate here:

http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-2-B...s=highlander+2
Old 09-28-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

It's my understanding that the BD in that boxset is the Director's Cut which is also available separately and that part 2 is the third cut of the movie (also available separately).

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I own the Renegade Cut of the second film and that one was released by Lionsgate here:

http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-2-B...s=highlander+2
That's not the renegade version. That's the third cut of the movie with brand new special effects and a minor action sequence removed (when Virginia Madsen killed all the security guards prior to the final sword fight of the movie).

This is the Renegade Version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Hig...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Keep in mind that the Renegade Version is devoid of special features.
Old 09-28-13, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want the best picture and audio for the first film, without paying a hefty premium. I'm also interested in the 80-minute documentary from the UK disc; is it any good?
Old 09-28-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's my understanding that the BD in that boxset is the Director's Cut which is also available separately and that part 2 is the third cut of the movie (also available separately).

That's not the renegade version. That's the third cut of the movie with brand new special effects and a minor action sequence removed (when Virginia Madsen killed all the security guards prior to the final sword fight of the movie).

This is the Renegade Version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Hig...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Keep in mind that the Renegade Version is devoid of special features.

Never new about no 3rd cut of part 2. Dafuq?
Old 09-28-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I just want the best picture and audio for the first film, without paying a hefty premium. I'm also interested in the 80-minute documentary from the UK disc; is it any good?
I liked it. Here's a review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Highla...y/5417/#Review
Old 09-28-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never new about no 3rd cut of part 2. Dafuq?
Yeah it was a big deal at the time because they redid the special effects (some new statues during the prologue and shield is now blue instead of reddish). However, no one knew about the slight edit until it was released.

Oh and I misspoke about the Renegade Version BD. It's not the same cut as found on the Renegade Version VHS/DVD. It's actually the third cut with a slightly better transfer than the Lionsgate BD but devoid of any special features.
Old 09-28-13, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I'd argue that it isn't a film that will ever look amazing on BD. Not to say it can't look good either.

One thing I've learned from going somewhat international with my buying habits is that... Sometimes to the get best of what you love...you need to throw it all in. Granted... all my BDs are Region Free or Region 1. Some of those Asian films though have me wanting to break the region barrier down for myself to just get it in it's proper form.
Old 09-28-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish i knew what you guys were talking about. There was only one Highlander movie.
Old 09-28-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I wish I knew what you guys were talking about. There was only one Highlander movie.
Indeed!
Old 09-28-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I own that UK Blu-ray of the first highlander - I have the steelbook version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-B...rds=highlander

It's also a region B release, so you won't be able to play it on a non-region free Bu-ray player.
Yea, I have that SteelBook too. It's pretty bad-ass, but I do believe it is region-free.

Here is the actual link: Highlander Immortal Edition
Old 09-28-13, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like that myself, but it doesn't have the great commentary from the 10th anniversary version....which is a big deal breaker.
Old 09-28-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Yea, I have that SteelBook too. It's pretty bad-ass, but I do believe it is region-free.

Here is the actual link: Highlander Immortal Edition
You're right.
Old 09-28-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'd like that myself, but it doesn't have the great commentary from the 10th anniversary version....which is a big deal breaker.
True, but the U.S. version, which is also the director's cut has the commentary and that can be had for $6.97 off of Amazon.
Old 09-28-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I have the US release. I'm glad they used the UK theatrical cut for the US BD rather than the US director's cut. For those that don't know, the US director's cut completely redid the sound design. Although the quickening sequences sounded much more badass on the US director's cut, they removed musical cues and exchanged them for "wooshing" sound effects (which fans of the TV series call the buzz) to make it seem more like the TV series.

Those "wooshes" where also added to the Renegade Version of Highlander 2: The Quickening and then removed for the third and final cut of that sequel.
Old 09-28-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I have the US release. I'm glad they used the UK theatrical cut for the US BD rather than the US director's cut. For those that don't know, the US director's cut completely redid the sound design. Although the quickening sequences sounded much more badass on the US director's cut, they removed musical cues and exchanged them for "wooshing" sound effects (which fans of the TV series call the buzz) to make it seem more like the TV series.

Those "wooshes" where also added to the Renegade Version of Highlander 2: The Quickening and then removed for the third and final cut of that sequel.
That, I did not know. Now I have to get the US cut of the first film, because I'm stupid like that.
Old 09-29-13, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That, I did not know. Now I have to get the US cut of the first film, because I'm stupid like that.
Only the US director's cut (not to be confused with the US theatrical cut) of Highlander has the new sound mix and it's only available on VHS/DVD. I will say the sound design for the quickening sequences is far more bombastic than that found in the US and UK theatrical cuts but I hated the wooshing and loss of the musical cues.

This is the DVD with the US director's cut (the one with the alternate soundmix): http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Imm.../dp/B00005RYL9

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-29-13 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-29-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only the US director's cut (not to be confused with the US theatrical cut) of Highlander has the new sound mix and it's only available on VHS/DVD. I will say the sound design for the quickening sequences is far more bombastic than that found in the US and UK theatrical cuts but I hated the wooshing and loss of the musical cues.

This is the DVD with the US director's cut (the one with the alternate soundmix): http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Imm.../dp/B00005RYL9
So this one doesn't have it?

http://www.amazon.com/Highlander-Dir...rector%27s+cut
Old 09-29-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. That's actually the UK theatrical cut with the original sound effects and musical cues. As I said, the version with the wooshing and more bombastic explosions is exclusive to VHS and DVD.
Old 09-29-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. That's actually the UK theatrical cut with the original sound effects and musical cues. As I said, the version with the wooshing and more bombastic explosions is exclusive to VHS and DVD.

I think I even had the DVD at one point but sold it when I went with BD. Gonna have to get used for $4 shipped then.
Old 09-29-13, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but the U.S. version, which is also the director's cut has the commentary and that can be had for $6.97 off of Amazon.
The US version doesn't have the commentary.
Old 09-29-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
The US version doesn't have the commentary.
Wow, then I'm totally lost right now. What a clusterfuck. My old LDs of the remastered versions of both films had the commentary tracks.
Old 09-30-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Wow, then I'm totally lost right now. What a clusterfuck.
Yeah, me too. Reading this thread is utterly confounding for someone who isn't intimately familiar with all the cuts of each film. I think it would be helpful if someone with the time and inclination to do so could make a list of each version and what they do or don't include (sound effects, bonus features, transfer quality, etc.).
Old 09-30-13, 11:50 AM
Banned

Rocshemp?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.