Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NBC

Old 09-26-13, 09:36 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. TV and DC Comics are on a roll this development season with a third high-profile project. Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, has sold to NBC with penalty. It is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros.’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

The character, which first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros. has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.

Constantine joins Warner Bros. TV/DC’s The Flash at the CW, a spinoff from hit Arrow, and a Gotham City/Commissioner Gordon drama at Fox, which has a series commitment. WME-repped Goyer has co-written The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Man Of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. On TV, he is the creator/executive producer of Starz’s Da Vinci’s Demons. WME-repped Cerone is the creator/executive producer of Canadian drama Motive, which aired on ABC this summer and is awaiting a second-season renewal.
So does that mean were less likely to get that Dark Universe film?
Old 09-26-13, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NB

Nice.
Old 09-26-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NB

Originally Posted by dex14
So does that mean were less likely to get that Dark Universe film?
It was already unlikely since it was a Guillermo Del Toro project and he has so many.
Old 09-26-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Not sure about this.

I've long said that a Hellblazer series on HBO would be the fuckin' bomb.
Old 09-26-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

NBC? Blah. This should be on cable or pay TV. Although, I guess Hannibal is pretty great on NBC. It could go either way.
Old 01-14-14, 09:09 AM

It is a big day for Warner Bros TV and DC Comics. On the heels of Fox confirming its Batman drama Gotham is going to series this morning, NBC has greenlighted a pilot for Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories. The project, which had a script commitment with penalty, is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

John Constantine, who first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.
Old 01-14-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Oh please make him American again!
Old 01-31-14, 10:06 AM

Neil Marshall (The Descent) is set to direct NBC’s drama pilot Constantine, from Warner Bros TV. Based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond. The project was written by Daniel Cerone from a story by him and David S. Goyer. In TV, Marshall recently helmed the opening as well as the third episode of Michael Bay’s Starz pirate drama Black Sails and an episode from the upcoming fourth season of HBO’s Game Of Thrones.
Old 02-22-14, 07:38 AM

Welsh actor Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior) is finalizing a deal to play the lead in NBC’s drama pilot Constantine, from Warner Bros TV. Based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, the project centers on John Constantine (Ryan), an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond. John Constantine is described as a working-lass Londoner with rakish good looks, scruffy blond hair, deadpan humor, and signature trench coat, who has been studying the dark arts since he was a teenager. When the daughter of a late friend is targeted by demons, Constantine steps in to save her. The project was written by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros’ feature DC adaptations who has co-penned The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Man Of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman.
Old 02-22-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

So on NBC means it'll either be way watered down or cancelled within a season. This should have been on basic cable or a premium channel I agree.
Old 02-22-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
So on NBC means it'll either be way watered down or cancelled within a season. This should have been on basic cable or a premium channel I agree.
Hannibal
Old 02-22-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily agree, NBC's ratings are so poor that they don't play by the same rules anymore of the other broadcast networks. I have no idea how Hannibal passed standards and practices. Dracula was pushing the edge of what is allowable skin on network television.
Old 02-22-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Hannibal
That's what I'm hoping for but I seriously doubt we'll get another show like that from NBC.
Old 02-22-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I did sort of forget about Hannibal but I also haven't watched that. Is it really anything that's very boundary pushing? I thought from what I heard it was basically a crime procedural.
Old 02-22-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did sort of forget about Hannibal but I also haven't watched that. Is it really anything that's very boundary pushing? I thought from what I heard it was basically a crime procedural.
Actually, the crimes of the week are filler and usually resolved quickly (almost in the background). The real meat of each episode is a character study of Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter. Also, the show is usually quite gruesome. I'm surprised it's not rated TV-MA. But then, neither was The Walking Dead until some moms got their panties in a bunch.
Old 02-22-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Not familiar with the actor, but at least they cast a Brit this time.
Old 02-22-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Low rated (in the US) and quite graphic, but it lives on.
Old 02-22-14, 05:25 PM
Suspended

The Atlanta Falcon's QB is branching out into acting I guess.
Old 02-22-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
The Atlanta Falcon's QB is branching out into acting I guess.
Well after leading my fantasy team to a championship two years ago, he seemed to have taken this past season off. May as well do something worthwhile with his time.

I'm trying to figure why they made Constantine a woman. The story says she's a "working lass Londoner." First a black Johnny Storm, now this.
Old 03-05-14, 12:10 PM

True Blood alumna Lucy Griffiths has been cast as the female lead opposite Matt Ryan in NBC’s drama pilot Constantine, from Warner Bros TV. Also cast in the project, based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories are Lost alum Harold Perrineau and Charles Halford (True Detective). Constantine centers on John Constantine (Ryan), an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond. When Liv (Griffiths), the daughter of a late friend, is targeted by demons, Constantine steps in to save her. Griffiths’ Liv is an offbeat young woman tired of her ordinary life who comes to discover that she has the ability of seeing the supernatural world among us, which makes her a key player in the battle between good and evil. Liv teams up with Constantine to save lives, master her power, and learn more about her late father. Perrineau will play Manny, an authoritative angel assigned to watch over Constantine who has the power to step into other people’s bodies, and although he is meant only to observe, Manny will not hesitate to help out if he can save a life. Halford will play Chas, Constantine’s oldest friend and staunch companion who possesses powerful survival skills that might possibly be supernatural. Constantive was written by Daniel Cerone from a story he co-penned with David S. Goyer. British actress Griffiths, repped by DBA, Principal Entertainment LA and UK’s Hamilton Hodell, is coming off a two-season co-starring turn on True Blood as Eric’s (Alexander Skarsgard) sister Nora and previously starred as Maid Marian on the BBC drama Robin Hood. APA-repped Perrineau most recently co-starred in The Best Man Holiday and completed David Ayer’s Sabotage.
Old 03-05-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Eh... I dunno about that synopsis. Sounds pretty formulaic... a sidekick and potential romantic interest, a guardian angel, Chas as more than a chauffer...

But with how great Hannibal turned out, all bets are off.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-13-14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good
Old 03-13-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On the heels of that, studio-released press shot:

Old 03-13-14, 10:48 AM

Not bad... better than Keanu.

Old 03-13-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

That... looks like John Constantine

Well done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.