Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother - Season Premiere - "The Locket" / "Coming Back" - 9/23/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - Season Premiere - "The Locket" / "Coming Back" - 9/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 07:48 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Season 9, Episode 1
Episode Synopsis: In the Season 9 premiere, it's Robin and Barney's wedding weekend on Long Island, where the couple make an unsettling family discovery, while Marshall is winging it back East for the big day, but runs into some problems, and Lily has a confrontation with Ted over his long-standing attachment to Robin. Original Air Date: Sep 23, 2013
Season 9, Episode 2
Episode Synopsis: Robin is concerned about how Barney will take bad news about his brother, while Marshall scrambles to find transportation to the wedding, and an uncomfortable Ted deals with flying solo in a romantic hotel. Original Air Date: Sep 23, 2013
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GvGINTSU2AI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final season, which will take place over the course of Barney and Robin's wedding.

In last year's finale, we met The Mother:
Spoiler:

Last edited by dex14; 09-23-13 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - Season Premiere - "The Locket" / "Coming Back" - 9/23/13

I really wanted to NOT watch this season. But the completion nut in my says I have to. Sigh.
Old 09-23-13, 10:07 AM

Re: How I Met Your Mother - Season Premiere - "The Locket" / "Coming Back" - 9/23/13

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I really wanted to NOT watch this season. But the completion nut in my says I have to. Sigh.
I know it's been rough to get through the last 2 years or so... but I have some hope for this season.
Old 09-23-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think the show has been all that bad. It's more misses than hits but overall I still find it enjoyable. I'm looking forward to this season. They're putting an interesting spin on it and I'm hoping they pull it off.

I actually think the set up is the most logical way to end the show. We spend the season getting to know and (hopefully) like the mother and think she's perfect for Ted and it still ends with Ted meeting her for the first time.
Old 09-23-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
It's only about ten hours of my life to finish this show. What the hell after watching the first 80 hours.
Old 09-23-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
It's only about ten hours of my life to finish this show. What the hell after watching the first 80 hours.
Pretty much.
Old 09-23-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kinda excited to have the show back. I still like the characters. I think the premise of the final season sounds interesting. I'm anxious to see it play out, although a little less now, since we've met the mother.

Still, I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks with some snark when the show stumbles a bit.
Old 09-23-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely love this show and will be completely crushed once it's over. Easily one of the best comedy sitcoms airing now, especially with some of that shit that's out there now. Just like any other show, they have their off episodes now and again, but even the really bad episodes have the LOL moments. Hope the series ends on a high note.
Old 09-23-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah, for a long time this was the only "normal" comedy I watched. It's come a long way from being near cancellation in Season 1.
Old 09-23-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really enjoyed the opener(s)
Old 09-23-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

FINALLY! Somebody met the fucking mother!!!
Old 09-23-13, 09:13 PM

I really liked the 2 episodes. I think this new format is going to help.
Old 09-24-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I was worried about the format but they really delivered. I mean it's not "can't miss" tv, but it was good.

At first I didn't like the mother, , maybe because she was new, but she won me over. Her interaction with Lilly was good. But wow! She and Ted have really great chemistry together. You really believe them as a couple in real life. That fast forward was just perfect.
Old 09-24-13, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yep, I was worried about the format but they really delivered. I mean it's not "can't miss" tv, but it was good.

At first I didn't like the mother, , maybe because she was new, but she won me over. Her interaction with Lilly was good. But wow! She and Ted have really great chemistry together. You really believe them as a couple in real life. That fast forward was just perfect.
Yup. The final scene was great. For a second, I couldn't believe they were showing us interactions with the two them before ACTUALLY showing them meeting... but I really liked it. It's a good way for us as an audience to grow to like the character. I really feel that this was the best way for the series to end, and not just having Ted meet her and fade to black.
Old 09-24-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup. The final scene was great. For a second, I couldn't believe they were showing us interactions with the two them before ACTUALLY showing them meeting... but I really liked it. It's a good way for us as an audience to grow to like the character. I really feel that this was the best way for the series to end, and not just having Ted meet her and fade to black.
Agree with both. I was expecting a meet, then that's it. To see their future interaction will be nice.
Old 09-24-13, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agree with both. I was expecting a meet, then that's it. To see their future interaction will be nice.
It seems, from what the creator's have said, that is what they were intending, had it ended last year.
Old 09-24-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This season is off to a solid start

Weird that both this and Always Sunny are in their 9th season, and also weird that they're both off to great starts after several seasons of just being passable.

I do hope they keep up with the flash forwards, it's about the most likable I've seen Ted in this show.
Old 09-24-13, 08:41 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed both episodes to kick of the final season. I like that it appears that they are going to give us each character meeting the mother. I liked her interactions with Lily on the train and giving us bits of why the mother and Ted are a great match (the things that Ted does that drove Lily crazy in the car and that the mother secretly was revealed to like). Ted's nickname for being a slow driver was perfect for him.

Digging the idea of the final season taking place over just one weekend. And agree about the future scenes with Ted and the mother as a way to show the payoff from the series.
Old 09-24-13, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoyed the start, my only concern is Marshall...hoping he's not on a road trip all season long.
Old 09-24-13, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by aktick
Enjoyed the start, my only concern is Marshall...hoping he's not on a road trip all season long.

It's an 18 hour drive... so I'm expecting him to atleast be away for 6 to 8 episodes.
Old 09-24-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was really good too.

The mother seems to fit perfectly. Her interactions with Lilly were great as were the future scenes with Ted.

Happy to see their final season off to a good start. I think we're in store for a good one (though I'm sure there will be some misses along the way). They don't have to dick around with any side stories this season and have a directionless Ted. They can move straight to the end and it should make for better storytelling.
Old 09-24-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's an 18 hour drive... so I'm expecting him to atleast be away for 6 to 8 episodes.
18 hour drive in a car with reasonable gas mileage, he's in a Monstrosity which gets .5 mpg.

Oh no wait, a Monstrosity Sport and that gets .6 mpg.

Old 09-24-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emachine12
18 hour drive in a car with reasonable gas mileage, he's in a Monstrosity which gets .5 mpg.

Oh no wait, a Monstrosity Sport and that gets .06 mpg.

fixed.
Old 09-24-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my doubts about the mom (expected someone with a bigger name) but she is cute and last night she was funny. My brother pointed out she kind of looks like Lily.

Honestly the show was hit and miss. So sick of this Ted/Robin thing. Can't wait to see him finally get over her. The lady with Marshal, though, gosh I hope she is out of the show soon. Love Wayne Brady. Glad this show is finally coming to a close. Lost that magic touch.
Old 09-24-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I thought it was a decent start.

I like that in the first episode someone already met the mother... and the narrator keeps referring to her as the mother. I feared they were going to skirt around announcing her as the mother until Ted met her.

I also liked that we're getting to know the mother and we get to see Ted interact with her in the future - it makes her a real character and not feel like a random nobody at the end of the series.

I didn't know what to make of the mother seeing her in last season's finale, but she's already grown on me (although I'm not a fan of the teeth). She's kinda cute and I like the character - the turning point was the sumbitch dialog.

Just realized, we never find out her name - do we?

I'm still clinging to my theory that Ted stood up the mother on a blind date (arranged by a 100% match at Love Solutions) in the first season to be with Robin.

Last edited by Coral; 09-24-13 at 09:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.