Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Blood Diner" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 23

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-13, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Blood Diner (1987)

Selected by cwileyy

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 10-24-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Blood Diner" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 23

Blood Diner feels like b-grade splatter gore for the slacker generation with constant hit or miss humor, at times being wonderfully eccentric but others feeling too casual even obnoxious. Some of the oddball humor helped create a fun party atmosphere but also softened any suspense and blunted some of the black humor (instead of being clever parts resorted to campy silliness). The over-acted played for laughs intensity of Blood Diner hits the ground running and doesn't stop. None of the characters were really very likeable so sometimes it came across as disjointed (just a bunch of murderous sight gags). I wish Blood Diner played things a little more serious at times.

As an unofficial (?) follow-up/remake to H.G. Lewis' Blood Feast, Blood Diner worked and was ironic. "Blood buffet" instead of blood feast is a funny re-imagining. The egyptian re-incarnation subplot seemed to highlight how obliviously disconnected the killers were instead of seeming creepy or intense like the original.

Shitaar!
Old 10-08-13, 10:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I watched this one early by accident and really hope that my OCD doesn't compel me to sit through it again.
Old 10-22-13, 11:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

The video attached to the link above has been deleted. I found another copy here on YouTube.
Old 10-23-13, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a first time watch for me and I absolutely loved it. The hit or miss humor was mostly extra base hits for me. Of the 75 horror films I have watched so far this month, this is in my top 10 is one I plan on revisiting often if it holds up. Thanks for picking it for the subset since I wouldn't have likely ever gotten to this otherwise.
Old 10-23-13, 12:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope everyone enjoys this one! Sure, it's silly but I have a TON of fun watching it and it usually makes the rounds in my DVD player every Halloween season.
Old 10-23-13, 02:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

All of the humor was miss for me. Probably the worst film of the month for me.
Old 10-23-13, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried ......I honestly tried to make it through this...film....can only take so much self abuse
Old 10-23-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Second time watch for me and I do like this one. It's got the mix of '80s style with the absurdity of earlier HG Lewis (which I'm not much of a fan of). Love its colorful look and the fact that you have no idea where it's going. This was a tougher sit watching it alone than when I saw it at a get together with like-minded friends a couple years back. Think it needs a certain "audience" feel to work well.
Old 10-23-13, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
As an unofficial (?) follow-up/remake to H.G. Lewis' Blood Feast, Blood Diner worked and was ironic.
I felt the same thing. Though it NEVER directly references Blood Feast, and has no dedication of any kind in the credits, there is obviously a connection. The boys "Egyptian" uncle's tombstone says he died in 1962. Blood Feast was released in 1963, so the death of its "Egyptian" serial killer fits the reference. And there's the Ishtar, Eetar, and Sheetar thing as well.

So, taken as a "sequel", Diner would make an interesting double feature with Feast for next year's challenge.
Old 10-24-13, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Within the first 5 minutes, I thought this would be unbearable.....But I got hooked once the lowrider head-stomp occured (Yeah, I'm weird like that)

This was a much-needed jolt of absuridity that I needed after a day of my smallest output. And I didn't think it would be possible to run into a movie that surpassed the boobage-meter of my viewing of Blood Sabbath!!!

One obvious thing that I couldn't shake off was that "Jackson" happened to look a little too much like Janet Jackson.
Old 10-24-13, 03:59 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

This movie was rotten. There is no hope for some of you.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
One obvious thing that I couldn't shake off was that "Jackson" happened to look a little too much like Janet Jackson.
I'm sorry, but what the hell kind of accent was this "actress" trying to pull off? Sometimes she sounded Jamaican, sometimes she sounded British, sometimes she sounded Midwestern. She was awful.

Did anyone else notice that one of the young brothers at the beginning was played by a girl? For me, that was certainly the weirdest aspect of the film.
Old 10-28-13, 10:49 AM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Blood Diner feels like b-grade splatter gore for the slacker generation with constant hit or miss humor, at times being wonderfully eccentric but others feeling too casual even obnoxious.
Yes, that about sums it up. I felt like it should have been better than it was, and was therefore a just slightly more disappointed than entertained. It wasn't bad by any means, it was just underwhelming and should have been better.
Old 10-28-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This movie was worthwhile just because of the Uncle Brain character. I thought he was hilarious, they way he would casually insult his nephews was great. I also enjoyed the one brother getting amped up every time he saw wrestling on TV.
Old 10-31-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

Well, my reason for being so late on posting a review is because I started watching this movie on Youtube, got around 45 minutes in and was really liking it but hating the Youtube quality. Looked it up for a dvd release and supposedly Wal-mart has a copy of it with 5 other horror movies for 5 bucks (and the copy they included was the unrated copy). Cut to my hitting a few Wal-marts over the last week (a place with I loathe), but never finding a copy. Had to finish the last 45 minutes on Youtube last night.

That being said, I really like this movie. Thought it was bizarre, demented and hilarious at the same time. A true , so bad it is good movie. The dubbed voices and dialogue were fantastic and this movie was my kind of weird.

Hopefully I will find a copy eventually at a Wal-mart but just may have to order it from them ($8.50 if you order it). http://www.walmart.com/ip/Horror-Col...creen/21130949

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****.

My rating might bump up to 4 stars once I see a watchable copy. The quality on youtube was horrific as usual. And I loved the soundtrack!
Old 11-04-13, 08:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
This movie was worthwhile just because of the Uncle Brain character. I thought he was hilarious, they way he would casually insult his nephews was great. I also enjoyed the one brother getting amped up every time he saw wrestling on TV.
I'm tempted to look at the dates and see whether Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and the (comic and) TV version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles could possibly have inspired/been inspired by this film... seems unlikely, but mildly possible!