Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Scanners II: The New Order" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Scanners II: The New Order (1991)

Selected by SethDLH

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: "Scanners II: The New Order" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Watched this on VHS last year

My thoughts:

This movie is better than it has any right to be as a cash grab direct to video sequel. It was good enough that for years after that I would rent any iteration of direct to video releases, most with disappointing results as I recall. While there is no one to Ironside levels in this cast it has a solid story with flavors of Bronson & Akira. Also there has something about secret government projects I have always loved, especially when they inevitably have to go rouge.
Old 10-18-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: "Scanners II: The New Order" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 21

I binged this on my Xbox and if you have Xbox Live, you can rent this thru them, CinemaNow, and some new Target rental app.
Old 10-21-13, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Scanners II: The New Order was really good. It's so over the top with nonstop action. The 90s soundtrack (even the rock ballad credits song) was fun. The Scanners are over powered and the film isn't shy about taking what was a climax of the original and makes it a routine part of the show, but it really works. I'm told Scanners III: The Takeover isn't as good, despite having the same director, and it's a shame they don't seem to have directly continued the series. These people sure do like to explode up people's heads, I think I lost count.
Old 10-21-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

edit:wrong thread
Old 10-21-13, 08:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The classic original is on YouTube as well; making it a double (triple perhaps?) feature this morning.
Old 10-21-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed the sequel. I think the original is good but one of Cronenberg's weakest films from that era and found the sequel to be just as entertaining due to how far over the top it managed to go while being better than a cheap cash-in.
Old 10-21-13, 09:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised, and it enjoyed it almost as much as the original.

The third one stunk though. The dramatic grimaces the rivals gave each other near the end there had me laughing out loud.
Old 10-21-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

From the opening credits I get a creeping suspicion that Canada had something to do with this movie.

You know what I'd like to see, a helpless dying puppy. Oh perfect, thanks movie!

Ah yes a... headphones bar? WTF?

Canadian movies feature villains that are well-dressed men with large glasses and soft voices.

"Have a nice day, sir." Has to be one of the lamest close-up come backs in movie history.

25 minutes into the movie and not a single head has exploded.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-21-13 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, there we go.

Things are getting serious in this movie, I hope Justin Timberlake makes it out okay.

"Nobody knows what happened to your parents... they're both dead.."

David's family seems like nice folks, something tells me they're going to live a long happy life.

Nah, fuck that! Those bastards crossed the line, it's time to call up the rest of N Sync and get revenge!

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-21-13 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 11:23 PM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Meh. Exactly what I expected--no surprises, a few money shots, a sufficiently long running time. It wasn't unwatchable by any means, but I can't think of any reasons to recommend it to anyone, either.

I'm ticked off at myself for getting sleepy and having to bail on Lake Mungo--I had abandoned the Challenge last year before its subset night, so I never got around to watching it. I was really enjoying it, but I only made it twenty minutes in before I started nodding off. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.
Old 10-21-13, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fairly good sequel, though I still prefer the original. It's cool to see David Hewlett from Stargate Atlantis in an earlier role. The only thing earlier I have seen him in was the Friday the 13th the Series episode he did about a supernatural comic book or something.
Old 10-22-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm ticked off at myself for getting sleepy and having to bail on Lake Mungo--I had abandoned the Challenge last year before its subset night, so I never got around to watching it. I was really enjoying it, but I only made it twenty minutes in before I started nodding off. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.
I thought Lake Mungo was great, one of my favorite viewings from last year's challenge. It's worth another attempt.
Old 10-22-13, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it's ironic how the baddie scanner ends up so "well done" in the end because he later becomes Raw.

Somebody will get it.
Old 10-22-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Honesty not a big fan of the original Scanners. This one I felt quicker-paced and more go-for-broke in the entertainment dept. I've been kind of digging some of the '90s horror that I originally overlooked.
Old 10-24-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The third one stunk though. The dramatic grimaces the rivals gave each other near the end there had me laughing out loud.
That's my problem with all of these movies. The overacting, wacky looks they have to give just always takes me out of these movies.

I am not a fan of the first movie and actually liked this movie more...though that isn't saying much. And are we sure this movie is from 1991? It looked more 1985 to me. It moved at a decent pace for a little bit but kinda dragged in the middle.

Not a movie I will revisit.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 10-24-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
And are we sure this movie is from 1991? It looked more 1985 to me.
That's cause it's Canadian. 90s Canada = 80s USA.
Old 10-27-13, 03:09 PM

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cproaps
It's cool to see David Hewlett from Stargate Atlantis in an earlier role...
I didn't recognise him at all. It wasn't until I saw his name on the credits that I was inspired to look him up as one of those 'I feel sure I know that name...' moments.

Never seen Scanners, but on the strength of this, I shall aim to soon. I enjoyed it. The plot seemed full of annoyingly-obvious holes (why continue to help? Why not use your powers against the crazy-conspiracy people?, etc.) but it held together well enough and was compelling.

I liked that after effectively giving the main villain several kinds of brain damage, the main Scanner-chap says 'no more killing' and wanders off with no apparent repercussions...