Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Jack Frost" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 16

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Jack Frost (1997)

Selected by Trevor

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Jack Frost" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 16

This is like a mash up of Child's Play and Friday the 13th The Series. Shannon Elizabeth in an early role is fun until she gets "iced". Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old 10-16-13, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

This is a movie where it wants to be "so bad it is good" but I felt 90% of the humor fell flat and the effects aren't very good. Acting is eh and story is dumb. I saw this years ago and didn't remember much about it. Now I know why.

I will say that a few of the kills are interesting (Jack Frost can shoot ice daggers out of his hand) but that is about the best thing I can say about it. Can't wait to rent Jack Frost 2! Yep, they made a sequel that appears to have even lower remarks than this one.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 10-16-13, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I can't even express how much I loved this. As soon as it started, with the little girl voice and the story by the uncle, I knew this was my kind of movie. Over the top, totally ridiculous - in the very best way. I doubt any movie for the rest of the challenge will come close to topping this.
Old 10-16-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was promised Michael Keaton.
Old 10-16-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
This is a movie where it wants to be "so bad it is good" but I felt 90% of the humor fell flat and the effects aren't very good. Acting is eh and story is dumb...
I agree with this. Jack Frost is a potentially cool popcorn fluff idea and the best thing the film makers did was playing the story straight to keep it semi-serious, tongue in cheek. Instead of letting the corny imagery run it's course they invented some silly back story and focused on really un-necessary exposition (some plot it good but they seemed to explain every nuance of this killer snowman). It's a cute idea, but more of a short film skit than feature.

It seemed like some of the shots were more close up than wide (to compensate for lower production?) giving the film a weird headshot spaghetti western appearance at times. [Edit: On YouTube]

I liked the fake ending, fake endings rule.

On the subject of holiday horror films... someone seems to have made a Thankskilling 3?
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
I was promised Michael Keaton.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This was only a year since my last watch and it was one of my favorite discoveries from last year. Definitely held up and wasn't bored for a moment. It gets everything right and is a fantastic horror comedy, which feels a bit more eighties in its schlock than some other films of the period. I also do recommend the sequel, which is a ridiculous step down in production values (Jack doesn't appear nearly as much) but still delivers on the icy charms.
Old 10-17-13, 09:51 AM

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I can't even express how much I loved this. As soon as it started, with the little girl voice and the story by the uncle, I knew this was my kind of movie. Over the top, totally ridiculous - in the very best way. I doubt any movie for the rest of the challenge will come close to topping this.
So far, I prefer Severance, but this was definitely a great second!
Old 10-17-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I love movies like this. This feels like something I'd stay up late and watch Joe Bob Briggs talk about on a Saturday when I was in high school. I appreciate a good horror comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously, and I found this to have quite a few amusing moments. My favorite was probably when Jack Frost kept shoving the woman's head in the Christmas balls and hung her as an ornament.

I liked the fake-out endings, there were at least 2 or 3, and the T-1000 moments of water seeping through doors. So are we all in agreement that Jack was using the carrot nose as a dick so he could rape Shannon Elisabeth? I'm not sure if that's too dark or hilarious.

Was anybody else amused at the end by Sam repeatedly dunking his young child in anti-freeze? It's great that they figured out what could kill the monster, but I assume anti-freeze is dangerous to accidentally consume.
Old 10-17-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is always a fun one to watch. Been a while for me; I remember buying this in 1998 I believe.

I'm surprised Netflix didn't have it letterboxed. I compared the streaming picture to my DVD and even though the DVD isn't anamorphic, the framing and overall look was much more pleasing.
Old 10-17-13, 06:23 PM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I'll be a dissenting vote and say how absolutely sub-mediocre I thought that this was. There's obviously some talent both in front of and behind the camera, and they squander it on a killer snowman film? Really? PCBreakdown said that she knew from the opening voiceovers that she was going to like it; I immediately knew from the faked little girl voice that I was going to dislike it. With material like this, you've really got to go all out to sell it and make it work, and I never felt that the filmmakers had enough trust in their concept to do that. So we get stupid, sometimes non-sequitur wisecracks from the least believable snowman on this side of a department store window. It wasn't awful; it just wasn't necessary.
Old 10-18-13, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It felt that the movie tried to be too serious at first, but abandoned that and went full camp in the second half. I found it to be pretty fun. The snowman was really fake, but I think that was the point.

The rape scene was a bit much, but it was obvious they were using a dummy for most of it, so it almost became a wash. Likewise when Sally was killed--I think there were using one of the Barbie styling doll heads to mash her 'face' into the ornaments. The kid getting dunked in the antifreeze was something else. And did I hear right that Sam put antifreeze in his oatmeal? WTF? Is he trying to kill his parents?

This is a good background movie that has some funny moments. It's enjoyable enough.
Old 10-18-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
And did I hear right that Sam put antifreeze in his oatmeal? WTF? Is he trying to kill his parents?
He said he didn't want his Dad to get cold. Probably the best line in the whole stinky movie.
Old 10-19-13, 04:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm a gluten for holiday horror (see what I did there?), so I enjoyed it and was really surprised to find that so many of you did as well. I expected much more vitriol.

That was Shannon Elizabeth? Neat. I can't remember what other stuff I've seen the sheriff in, but I know I liked him a lot in something else.

And Undeadcow, I watched Thankskilling recently and it's perhaps the worst film I've ever seen. I can't wait to see 3, the second film in the series.
Old 10-19-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I can't remember what other stuff I've seen the sheriff in, but I know I liked him a lot in something else.
He was in a memorable episode from the first season of the X-Files. He played a former partner of Scully's whose body was possessed by the ghost of bank robber killed during a heist.
Old 10-19-13, 06:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
He was in a memorable episode from the first season of the X-Files. He played a former partner of Scully's whose body was possessed by the ghost of bank robber killed during a heist.
That must be it, thanks! One of my favorite shows ever, and I've seen season one several times.
Old 10-19-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
That must be it, thanks! One of my favorite shows ever, and I've seen season one several times.
Same here, it was driving me crazy so I had to stop the movie to find out where I recognized that guy. The episode was called Lazarus, one of my favorite episodes from the first season. Of course my favorite is a toss up between Ice and Between the Sea... and Squeeze. Gah, it's hard picking favorites with that show.
Old 10-19-13, 07:57 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I thought that sheriff seemed oddly familiar too; it's funny the impact a TV series guest role can have on people