TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Lost" outline leaked.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
"Lost" outline leaked.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3967988.html

It's a very interesting read; make sure you download the pdf at the end of the article.

The original outline/writer's guide, seemingly written after the pilot was filmed but before the season one was written, is a very different creature from what the series eventually became.

Some things are still there, like the "hatch" and "others," and even some things that later showed up like the submarine and people parachuting onto the island.

There's barely any mention of flashbacks, which eventually became a huge part of the show, and it seems most of the story time was to have centered around survival and the characters adapting to their new situation. Walking Dead without the zombies.

It also seems that the original plan for the "monster" was that it was some sort of security system protecting either parts of the island or certain things hidden there, and that it was indeed some sort of machine, some kind of cousin to The Prisoner's Rover.

Of the thirty 'stories' briefly outlined, very few of them made it to screen, though bits and pieces are recongnizable.

One thing caught my eye, though:

The beauty of this long and storied past is that one thing has nothing to do with the other - there is no "ulltimate Mystery" which requires solving.
Well, that's one thing that didn't change through over the series' six year run...
Old 09-23-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: "Lost" outline leaked.

I remember a bunch of writers ended up abandoning the show because ABC wanted a never ending series rather than a show with an actual conclusion in mind. It seems there was a lot more to which objected.
Old 09-23-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3967988.html
It also seems that the original plan for the "monster" was that it was some sort of security system protecting either parts of the island or certain things hidden there, and that it was indeed some sort of machine, some kind of cousin to The Prisoner's Rover.
Yes, The Smoke Monster I believe was originally supposed to be a "security system". It was referred to as a security system a couple of times once specifically by Juliet & again by Ben I believe. It was obvious the writers didnt know which direction to go with it so they turned it into something that made no sense whatsoever at the end.... just like the rest of the show.
Old 09-23-13, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Yes, The Smoke Monster I believe was originally supposed to be a "security system". It was referred to as a security system a couple of times once specifically by Juliet & again by Ben I believe. It was obvious the writers didnt know which direction to go with it so they turned it into something that made no sense whatsoever at the end.... just like the rest of the show.
I think it was first referred to as a "security system" by Danielle Rousseau, the crazy French lady, in season one.

As late as season two, you can still sort of see that they were setting "The Others" up to be the Dharma Initiative people, with Mr Friendly wearing a fake beard held on with Dharma brand theatrical glue, and Mr Friendly quoting Alvar Hanso.
Old 09-23-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

David Fury pretty much revealed this lack of a plan and final strategy from the very beginning, after he left the show. He said almost everything was being made up as they went and that many of the supposed connections within episodes were being thrown in with no ultimate direction.

It did work for five magical seasons, it's too bad they punted on a coherent solution in season six.
Old 09-23-13, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I haven't really thought about this show much since it concluded. I enjoyed it as it aired, but the ending was very disappointing.

I guess I didn't need a single explanation for everything, and I would have been okay with some loose ends if the conclusion was at least marginally satisfying on its own terms. As it was, I just thought it was awful and pretty much ruined the whole series. The entire final season was pretty much incoherent.
Old 09-23-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

If "the monster" was part of a security system, why did it kill the pilot (or was it the co-pilot) and leave most everyone alive and able to wander around the island? Allow strangers to stick to the beach but kill those entering the forest.

I guess that's why I'm not a Hollywood writer
Old 09-23-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Great show that could not deliver what was a great setup

It failed miserably ...

It could have been one of the all time greats

Instead it's just an also ran...
Old 09-23-13, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first five seasons are still great in my opinion. The season five final was perfect.

It also began that whole trend of big concept network shows (leading to Heroes, and all that other crap) so it's definitely made a name for itself, even if the finale disappointed.
Old 09-23-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So it wasn't "An airplane crashes on a "deserted" island... (we'll wing the rest as we go along )" ?
Old 09-23-13, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think it was first referred to as a "security system" by Danielle Rousseau, the crazy French lady, in season one.
Thats right, but she was speculating. Juliet also said it was a security system, and being that she was with the others, youd figure she would know what it was.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
The first five seasons are still great in my opinion. The season five final was perfect.

It also began that whole trend of big concept network shows (leading to Heroes, and all that other crap) so it's definitely made a name for itself, even if the finale disappointed.
I agree, however, no matter how good or bad the show was as a whole, the finale killed it. Everything lead to that final episode and there was no payoff.
Old 09-23-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

The closest thing I can compare Lost to is a Stephen King novel. Great until the last 100 pages where the ending ruins the entire thing.
Old 09-24-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The closest thing I can compare Lost to is a Stephen King novel. Great until the last 100 pages where the ending ruins the entire thing.
Incidentally, Stephen King writes his novels without an ending in mind until he gets there. Make of that what you will...
Old 09-24-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Incidentally, Stephen King writes his novels without an ending in mind until he gets there. Make of that what you will...
Not surprised at all.
Old 09-24-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Lost thread? OK.

Lost changed television forever. It inspired writers from one of the best shows in the last decade. All kind of shows, not just sci-fi.

Some seasons were almost perfect, some others weren't that great. Last season sucked is the consensus. I think people is split in the finale, I actually liked the final episode.
Old 09-24-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I had no problem with the finale, and actually a good chunk of the final season wasn't that bad - it was a fun adventure - I think people just had too lofty of expectations for the outcome.

The brothers storyline, the light, and the whole episode with Allison Janney was just awful.

I mentioned this the other day in another thread, but I had a couple friends who hated the finale, and while discussing it kept bringing up that they were dead the entire time on the island. I honestly have no idea how anyone interpreted the finale like that, unless they just skimmed over the final 15 minutes.

It was a tremendously ambitious series and it largely pulled it off, I hope in 10 years they decide to touch up the CG and re-release it on whatever collectible format is available. Will probably be ready to watch it again by then, maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-24-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the complain I hate the most "they were dead the entire time on the island!!!". Because yeah, that's not true.
Old 09-24-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does seem like the Purgatory scenario was a guiding endgame for Lost's writers for a couple of seasons. It was only when the entire fan community guessed it that they deviated from using the concept.
Old 09-24-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The purgatory scenario was the entire fan community's guess from the get go.
Old 09-24-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, that was pretty much the theory from the pilot.

Lost drove 90 yards down field for the winning touchdown and fumbled on the 10 yard line. That being said, I did like the sideways 'purgatory' flashes of season 6, it was everything else island related that was just pointless and unwatchable.
Old 09-24-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The purgatory scenario was the entire fan community's guess from the get go.
Sometimes the obvious answer is the best one. So what if everyone figured it out. It would have been better than what they did where that ridiculous island was real and the normal life they entered later wasn't.
Old 09-24-13, 03:53 PM

I mentioned this the other day in another thread, but I had a couple friends who hated the finale, and while discussing it kept bringing up that they were dead the entire time on the island. I honestly have no idea how anyone interpreted the finale like that, unless they just skimmed over the final 15 minutes.
I heard a lot of people mention that as well. Reasons I believe people think this are...
1 People in general are stupid
2 How many people do you actually think sit through an entire TV show and put their full attention on it? Most people will mess around with their phones, ipads, etc while watching TV taking their attention away from whats going on.

I had no problem with the finale, and actually a good chunk of the final season wasn't that bad - it was a fun adventure - I think people just had too lofty of expectations for the outcome.
I had a BIG problem with the finale. I was never into a show as much as I was with Lost (except maybe for The Sopranos), but for me, the finale killed the entire show. The entire flash sideways thing with them all dead and meeting each other in "the afterlife" to "move on" was ridiculous and had nothing to do with the story at all. It was filler and a manipulative way to end the show with some drama. So many plotholes in the last episode. Desmond was in the ditch where the light was, they had to pull him up with a rope to get him out. Then Jack somehow gets out by himself which leads to him giving Hurley the magical drink of water so he would become the islands protector. When Jacob made Jack the protector, he went through a ritual talking in a foreign language going through some kind of speech. When Jack did it, he took an empty bottle, filled it from the stream and said "drink this". I can come up with a lot more but i blocked this show out.
Old 09-24-13, 04:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That document seems more in line with the "everything will have a scientific explanation" claim they were making during season 1.
Old 09-24-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think the LOST finale works simply because they didn't do a checklist of explanations, but instead went for something emotional.

Then again, I also love The Sopranos finale for similar reasons. I like series that don't feel the need to wrap everything in a bow for their viewers.
Old 09-24-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think the LOST finale works simply because they didn't do a checklist of explanations, but instead went for something emotional.

Then again, I also love The Sopranos finale for similar reasons. I like series that don't feel the need to wrap everything in a bow for their viewers.
That worked for the Sopranos because it was a very different show. LOST was Barnum at its finest. They claimed they had answers all along, and the ultimate answer was they were pulling it out of their asses.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.