Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

**Moviefan2k4's Official Film Review Thread**

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, all.

This is where I'll be posting written reviews for films of my choosing, for (civil) comment and (constructive) criticism. I will not be taking any requests, and insults or personal attacks will not be addressed.

So, here we go, starting with one of my all-time favorites...

"Back to the Future"

Starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, and Thomas F. Wilson
Released by Universal Pictures / Rated PG

Summary

The year is 1985, and Marty McFly's life is a relational disaster of epic proportions. His weak-willed father George is relentlessly bullied by boss Biff Tannen, driving his mother Lorraine to alcohol as a coping mechanism. Their marriage was born of pity rather than love, affecting their children: loner Marty, all-business Dave, and obsessive Linda. Marty's classmate Jennifer Parker loves him very much, but the only person who truly understands him is shunned scientist Emmett "Doc" Brown. Early on a cold October morning, Doc summons Marty to the local mall for the unveiling of his latest creation...a time machine, built into a DeLorean sportscar. Powered by plutonium, it allows all occupants to visit any era they wish. Filming the first test for his "nutcase" friend, Marty soon learns that Doc swindled some Libyan terrorists for the DeLorean's radioactive power source...and within minutes, they arrive with a vengeance. Shooting Doc dead on the spot, the villians pursue Marty as he flees in the DeLorean...but things get really weird moments later, when a farmhouse suddenly replaces the mall's parking lot.

Narrowly escaping the paranoid antics of crazed farmer "Old Man" Peabody, Marty realizes the impossible has happened; he's traveled back 30 years to 1955! Faced with a major culture shock, Marty's early experiences with this "new world" are thrown into overdrive, after meeting a very familiar young man at a local cafe: 17-year-old George McFly. Bullied by 18-year-old Biff Tannen, George flees, pursued by Marty...only to lose sight of him on a residential street. Falling leaves alert Marty to George's presence in the branches of a nearby tree, where he's using binoculars to spy on someone in another house. Losing his grip and falling, George is almost hit by an approaching car, but Marty intervenes to save his life. Knocked unconscious, Marty awakes hours later in a strange house. Initially comforted by the sound of a woman's voice, he's snapped back to reality by the mention of 1955. The one speaking to him is none other than 17-year-old Lorraine Baines, whose father Sam hit Marty with his car! Fleeing after realizing the romantic interests of his "mother", Marty goes to the only person left available...a much younger Emmett Brown.

Immediately skeptical of Marty's claims, "Doc" is soon convinced after the "future boy" accurately describes the scientist's mental revelation surrounding time travel. Things go from weird to worse though, when Doc learns Marty has interrupted the original histories of his teenage "parents". With just one week remaining until a natural event capable of sending Marty home occurs, the youngster is forced to try and repair the past, restoring his future before its too late...

Review

The brainchild of writer/producer Bob Gale and writer/director Robert Zemeckis, "Back to the Future" was the first of its kind: a film about time travel where the protagonist was capable of changing events to better their outcome. Most art forms dealt with this concept in a dark and depressing way, such as H.G. Wells' classic novel "The Time Machine", or episodes of "The Twilight Zone" television series. Ironically, both those sources inspired Gale and Zemeckis when they wrote what has now become a classic example of American cinema, blending comedy and drama in a thought-provoking way. Gale's main question regarding the tale was simple: if you attended high school with your parents as a fellow student in their era, would you be friends with them? As the hero of this tale, Marty McFly gets that answer and so many more.

The film is typical of many stories told in the 1980s, briefly focusing on such topics as materialism and politics, but most of its running time is devoted to a then-new twist on the old "fish out of water" formula. What separates "Back to the Future" from most other comedies of the era is a profound lack of obscenity. Some crass language and sexual issues are presented, but the tension is relieved by the fact that Marty doesn't share Lorraine's intentions, since he knows she will one day be his mother. This element actually stalled the film's production for several years, because its lack of overt crudeness was a turnoff to most major studios, while the implied "incest" angle incurred the wrath of The Walt Disney Company. In 1984, Robert Zemeckis' success directing "Romancing the Stone" finally gave him some leverage with Universal Pictures, and "Back to the Future" became the biggest hit of the following year, grossing almost $384 million on a $19 million budget! The film also made a major star of actor Michael J. Fox, best known at that point to TV audiences from the hit sitcom "Family Ties", and launched the careers of Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, and Thomas F. Wilson. Christopher Lloyd's performance further cemented his reputation as a comic genius, which was first demonstrated in the 1970s TV show "Taxi".

Last edited by moviefan2k4; 09-22-13 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-13, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: **Moviefan2k4's Official Film Review Thread**

Why do you do a massive summary?
Old 09-22-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

This thread will be locked shortly.
Old 09-22-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
This thread will be locked shortly.
Supermallet would have locked it by now.
Old 09-22-13, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Why do you do a massive summary?
If you'd asked me two weeks ago, I don't think I'd have had much of an answer for you. My brain has always gone much faster than my body, and I now think it might be due to my Asperger's syndrome. My writing affects how I think, with tons of details...but all too often, I speak in circles, trying in vain to express everything in my head with words.
Old 09-22-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't believe those ages listed are canon.

Please revise.

Not enough exclamation points.
Old 09-22-13, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I don't believe those ages listed are canon.
Zemeckis said on the DVD extras that Marty was supposed to be the same age as his parents in the past, which would make all three 17 years old. Biff is one grade above George and Lorraine, which would make him 18.
Old 09-22-13, 09:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That is funny your movie summary is longer than your review. It's Back to the Future, everyone knows what the hell it is. Nix the summaries.
Old 09-22-13, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well from what I quickly see your review itself has issue. The concept of going back in time to better an outcome is older than BTTF. Terminator did it before. Your last bit in the 1st review paragraph should be "and so much more." Not "many more" unless you forgot to finish off the sentence with something.

Also your review isn't a review. It's mostly just point out stuff about the film and the production. That's not a review. A review consists an analysis of the film text. You didn't.

Also what Zemeckis said isn't "canon" cuz there's not much to flesh that out. I haven't seen this film in years, it's a great film but I don't care for it. Soooooo unless ages were talked about. You don't have to be 18 to be a senior in HS. You can also be 17. So that kind of tears apart your age point.

I'm not sure what your education or age level is but is recommend to understand the concept of film analysis/criticism. Break down the text, know the audience it wants to get, understand context of the time released, keep objective, and etc.

Your review isn't a review. I didn't read that Phantom one you posted but if it's like this you're wasting the readers time and intention to learn critical details on the subject matter.

I'm on my phone but that's what I got from a quick read of it. I hate going to this site on my phone. Damnit DVDtalk, get on an app, you lazy bastards.
Old 09-22-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm awaitimg your review on Salò
Old 09-22-13, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod Note: We don't allow movie review threads dedicated to a single user as they don't tend to generate good discussion. I suggest you put your reviews in existing threads related to the films in question instead, or create one if it doesn't exist. Locking thread.