Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Season 3 Thread -- Simon, Demi Lovato, Paulina Rubio & Kelly Rowland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X Factor -- Season 3 Thread -- Simon, Demi Lovato, Paulina Rubio & Kelly Rowland

Old 09-11-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

The award-winning international phenomenon THE X FACTOR is back. In Season Three of the hit competition series hosted by Mario Lopez, THE X FACTOR judges will travel the nation searching for talent 12 years old or over - both solo artists and vocal groups; who are willing to brave the panel for a chance to make their dreams of becoming a superstar come true. Auditions for THE X FACTOR were held this spring in Los Angeles, CA; Charleston, SC; New Orleans, LA; Long Island, NY; and Denver, CO. Contestants will audition in front of THE XFACTOR judges, including Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato, and an audience of thousands. This will be the ultimate test to prove they have the vocal ability, charisma and stage presence it takes to become a global superstar or breakout music act and win a recording contract with Syco/Sony Music. Those contestants who survive the first auditions will be divided into four categories. Each category will be mentore dby one of the show's judges. Not only is it a competition between the hopefuls to stake their claim for the coveted win, but it's also a showdown among the judges as to whose acts will dominate the competition and make it to the finals. The judges may have their say in how the competition progresses, but it will be up to America to decide who ultimately has THE X FACTOR. THE X FACTOR (USA) has discovered winners Tate Stevens and Melanie Amaro and several other breakout stars, including Emblem3, Fifth Harmony, Carly Rose Sonenclar, Rachel Crow and Chris Rene, who all have signed to record labels. Last season, the show featured guest mentors Justin Bieber, Marc Antony, will.i.am and Nick Jonas, and performances by musical superstars One Direction, Taylor Swift, Alicia Keys, Bruno Mars, Leann Rimes ,Pitbull and Little Big Town. THE X FACTOR originated in the U.K. and has discovered global superstars such as One Direction, Leona Lewis, Cher Lloyd and JLS. Artists discovered by THE X FACTOR format have sold more than 100 million records worldwide, including 110 No 1's,270 Top 10 records, and 500 Top 50 releases. THE X FACTOR (USA) airs in 191 countries and local versions of "The X Factor" are commissioned in 41 territories. THE X FACTOR was created by SycoTelevision and is produced by Syco Television and FremantleMedia North America. Rob Wade and Nigel Hall are executive producers for Syco Television. Trish Kinane, Richard Holloway and Andrew Llinares serve as executive producers for FremantleMedia North America.

THE X FACTOR's Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato are joined by new judges Grammy Award-winning artist Kelly Rowland and global pop sensation Paulina Rubio, as well as returning host Mario Lopez, as they travel the nation searching for talent 12 years old or over - both solo artists and vocal groups - who are willing to brave the panel for a chance to make their dreams of becoming a superstar come true. Don't miss the highly anticipated return of the show that discovered fan favorites Fifth Harmony, Emblem3 and Tate Stevens in "Auditions #1," the first part of the two-night Season Three premiere of THE X FACTOR airing Wednesday, Sept. 11 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (X-301) (TV-14 D, L)

Judges: Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio

Host: Mario Lopez

So who's coming back for 3rds? At least the Khloe Kardashian train wreck is over and Mario Lopez is a solo host. Britney sucked as a judge last year too. I did like Demi Lovato, so I'm glad she's back.

So far, the U.S. version of this show has been a huge disappointment as far as finding a viable recording artist. 2 years later, Melanie Amaro still has no album out and Tate Stevens does have an album out, but it's made zero impact in sales.

The grand prize is only a $1M contract now.
Old 09-11-13, 12:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The X Factor -- Season 3 Thread -- Simon, Demi Lovato, Paulina Rubio & Kelly Rowl

Originally Posted by DJariya
So far, the U.S. version of this show has been a huge disappointment as far as finding a viable recording artist. 2 years later, Melanie Amaro still has no album out and Tate Stevens does have an album out, but it's made zero impact in sales.
Fifth Harmony has actually been the most successful act from the show so far, as their first single "Miss Movin' On" actually cracked the Hot 100 (peaked at #76, currently at #95). Not a huge triumph but better than either of the winners.
Old 09-11-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The X Factor -- Season 3 Thread -- Simon, Demi Lovato, Paulina Rubio & Kelly Rowl

^^ I did like Fifth Harmony. They gained a lot of momentum towards the end of season 2 and I think performing with Demi Lovato in last season's finale helped them.
Old 09-11-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Simon Cowell on a talk show recently. He looked horrible! Looked like his face was all pumped up with collagen and saran wrapped. Scary.
Old 09-12-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of everyone, I have to admit I'm susprised Astro never put out anything. He had that one guest starring role on Person of Interest, but no CD that I've seen. Chris Rene put out a CD (and a few videos). Emblem3 put out "Chloe". I've seen Carly Rose Sonenclar in the news a bit. I think she's working on a CD. I saw Beatrice Miller in a movie and had to check to confirm it was her (she did Pumped Up Kicks with Carly). But there hasn't really been what I'd call a breakout from the show.

Jeffrey Adam Gutt is back this season. He did "Hallelujah" last season and it was one of the performances I saved. I'm not always into "rock" singers, but he definitely won me over. I was surprised and disappointed when he didn't make it last season. I'm glad to read he's back.

I haven't watched this season yet, but I agree with the net positive of dropping Britney and Khloe. I wouldn't have minded keeping LA, but I can understand why that change happened.
Old 09-12-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

new judges seem like a better fit
Old 09-12-13, 10:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not 100% sold on Rubio yet... she sort of feels like a poor-man's Shakira right now but maybe she'll grow into the role. Kelly Rowland is a nice fit.

The thing that will be most vital is that these mentors actually give a damn once the live shows start. Britney and L.A. both seemed to be only half-heartedly interested in the competition by the end of last season and they had the top two acts on the show! And their disinterest reflected negatively on the show, in my opinion. These mentors need to be passionate about their acts for this to work, and there needs to be a real sense of *friendly* rivalry (because the nasty nitpicky sniping of season one isn't good either).
Old 09-16-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

I only had time to see watch episode 1 from last week.

Liked Kelly Rowland, agree that I'm not sold on Paulina Rubio. She does come across as a older, poor mans Shakira.

The 54-year old black woman was good, but I just read a few reports that she actually had a singing career and recording deal back in the 80's. Apparently the show and her are getting some shit because this competition is supposed to be about finding new stars, not resurrecting washed-up careers.

I liked the half blind, 13 year old disabled girl. She sang that Carrie Underwood song really well.
Old 09-16-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
The 54-year old black woman was good, but I just read a few reports that she actually had a singing career and recording deal back in the 80's. Apparently the show and her are getting some shit because this competition is supposed to be about finding new stars, not resurrecting washed-up careers.
This isn't a new criticism -- either for this show or the genre in general. I haven't watched yet, but do you remember the name of the artist? I haven't read the complaints yet, but it sounds similar to the complaint about Stacy Francis back when she was on the show. Her response? "How many of the people complaining knew my name before I did X Factor?"

There have even been complaints on American Idol (Carly Smithson), and we know the situation on The Voice (Javier Colon had a deal and CD, amongst others). All these shows have people who've been in the industry in one form or another before. There is absolutely no requirement that they've never had exposure to the industry. The main requirement is that they're not currently under contract.

In other news, Emblem3 was on Arsenio Hall's new show the other day. Still not a breakout, though. At least not yet.
Old 09-18-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Too bad they don't take a closer look at parts of groups that actually have some talent. The sister duo that just got done, Kelly at least noticed that the younger sister was more with it than the older sister, who couldn't recognize a tune if it was hand-delivered to her with a certificate of authenticity. Every note she sang was an egregious error of monumental proportions. Her singing was so bad, the concept of Music itself looked back on its own history and asked where it went wrong.
Old 09-19-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen the episode yet, but let's say you're 100% correct in your humorous assessment. What does it say for the younger sister's musical judgment that she chose to tie herself to her older sister while auditioning for a show with a million dollar prize for winning? There's a lot more to being a successful recording artist than having singing talent.
Old 09-19-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Too bad they don't take a closer look at parts of groups that actually have some talent.
I think in the group auditions they should be willing to separate the bad singers from the good and offer them a chance to go on. Would make for some good drama.
Old 10-03-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Paulina Rubio has been a disaster. They were cutting out her comments (if there were any that were substantial) last night. Kelly Rowland is great though.
Old 10-03-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
I think in the group auditions they should be willing to separate the bad singers from the good and offer them a chance to go on. Would make for some good drama.
most of the groups are frankensteined‎ together from the rejected single singers anyway.
Old 10-03-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

That 4-chair challenge is sure letting some good singers go early. I still don't know how "Santa" got a chair.
Old 10-04-13, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ellona Santiago - Clarity (Zedd)

Skip to around 1:30 for the performance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xn3a6DYhwIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't expect her to win, but as far as a person I enjoy listening to, every week she remains in the show is a win as far as I'm concerned.

Victoria Carriger "To Make You Feel My Love" is my Jeffrey Adam Gutt of this year in terms of an older singer that got let go that I'd have preferred stay. She had no chance of winning, but I enjoy hearing her sing.
Old 10-04-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm very surprised she let Ashley go. I would've bet money she was a lock.
Old 10-04-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That 4-chair challenge is sure letting some good singers go early. I still don't know how "Santa" got a chair.

Honestly, I think each judge did well with their final four so far. Love the crowd getting into the action, yelling their choices and booing the bad ones.

And Santa makes for good tv. He'll be fun to watch until he's voted out later on.
Old 10-04-13, 08:52 AM

He didn't
Old 10-04-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by disneyguy
He didn't
Yes, he did. He didn't finish there but he still got a chair.
Old 10-04-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, he did. He didn't finish there but he still got a chair.
From what I've seen (and remember) so far, the first 4 get chairs regardless as there's no cost to giving them one. Nobody wants to make a decision until the format of the show forces them into it. It only gets interesting when the chairs are full and they have to pull a switch. We'll see what Simon does.

Other thoughts...

I like that even though they got rid of the judges houses this season, we still basically have a round of Unplugged performances.

Putting Santa through actively annoyed me. Luckily it was remedied. It'll be interesting to see how Demi handles Rion Paige as the show progresses.

I watched the episode #3x05 again to see Wesley Mountain, the guy who was panting over Kelly Rowlands. There was something both unnerving and also cute about it. That aside, one of the reasons I like these shows is I don't listen to music radio much anymore and it's nice to be exposed to newer songs (and sometimes artists) I may like.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ToB32CjqhhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikahC
It'll be interesting to see how Demi handles Rion Paige as the show progresses.
It's easy to pull for someone like Rion. She's cute and has a nice voice. But does she have a chance of really becoming a star? Outside of blindness, I can't think of many big stars with physical handicaps. Or at least ones that are fairly obvious to see.
Old 10-04-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the points you make are why I'm interested to see how it plays out. One of Demi's criteria is she wants to look at someone and see a star. I don't know if that's what she sees with Rion, or if she just sees someone who is passably talented and who she admires for overcoming her physical disabilities. Looking at the people in the chairs after Rion performed, I got the feeling they all felt they were at a disadvantage because of her story.
Old 10-04-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was thinking the same thing. You could almost see it in their faces.
Old 10-10-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Have a sit" It sure was genius making Paulina a judge, she's worthless. I've only seen a couple episodes this season, but wow was the talent lacking for the boy contestants last night. THere's maybe 2-3 good ones out of the thousands that tried out. THey showed 4 of the groups last night, basically the 3 country boys that were solo artists was the only good act. The 3 young black girls are pretty good, but not ready and there's no market for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.