Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why can't I use my old set up on the Panasonic TC-P50S64?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the 64 from Costco and I'm thinking I'm in a lot of trouble. We used to have a 42" Panasonic plasma from maybe 4 years ago. The Sony blu-ray player was connected to the back of the Panny and coaxial was used for audio, hooked up from the back of the Sony to an old JVC receiver. We were happy with that. We didn't need anything special in the bedroom. Lossy sound was perfectly fine by us. So, all we really wanted to do was to upgrade in size to the 50". Well, it's been a nightmare, but let me only discuss what appears to be the worst part. For some reason, this new tv locks out my blu-ray player's option to select DTS. I don't know how that's even possible, it's not grayed out, it's just not there anymore. So now when we play a blu-ray player we have two terrible choices. 1 is that we listen using the tv's speakers and, for some reason, doing that the sound is ridiculously low. Turning it all the way to 99 and it's still not going to be loud. Or it somehow defaults through my old receiver to only linear PCM/pro logic and I get stereo sound that's also awful. What's happening? I switched out tvs and this new tv somehow has the ability to tell my blu-ray player what it can and can't do. On my other plasma, it recognized what to do and it played lossy DTS sound and now it doesn't. And even through the HDMI straight to the plasma, the sound we hear is dramatically lower than regular television sound. Streaming decodes just fine, so Netflix is perfect and, while I think the sound on this new model while using the regular speakers, is worse than my four year old 42" model, at least I can watch television and hear things. I seem to have no way of using my blu-ray player anymore unless I go with the Linear PCM and that's not an option. I don't want to put a home theater in my bedroom or really change much of what we had. We just wanted a bigger television. Can someone PLEASE tell me what might be going on, why and if there's any solution that isn't difficult and/or pricey? I have a feeling I'm going to have to return it and that really sucks because Costco was selling it for $599.99 and you can't beat that. We upgraded because of the price and the glowing reviews. So, do I need to return it or is there some kind of "trick" that will allow me to work around this problem? Thanks!!!
Old 09-08-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why can't I use my old set up on the Panasonic TC-P50S64?

Turn off the interlink. Appears to be called HDAVI.