Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WBO (9/6-9/8): Riddickulousness...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 12:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ck-no-1-623644
Box Office: 'Riddick' No. 1 Friday With $7.3 Million; 'Butler' Set to Cross $90 Million

The threequel topped the Friday box office with $7.3 million, putting it on course for an $18 million to $19 million weekend. Pre-release tracking had suggested the Universal release would open north of $20 million, although Universal was more conservative in its estimate.

Lee Daniels' The Butler continues to do strong business as it heads into its fourth outing and will cross the $90 million mark sometime on Sunday. The historical drama -- released by The Weinstein Co. and starring Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey -- is expected to earn $8.1 million for the weekend.

Spanish-language comedy Instructions Not Included placed No. 4 on Friday as it expanded into more than 700 theaters for a projected weekend in the $6.6 million range. The movie is from Lionsgate and Pantelion Films.

Diesel now owns the rights to the Riddick character, an intergalactic ex-con who can see in the dark.

Riddick was independently financed for $38 million, with Universal picking up U.S. distribution rights. The studio also released the first two films in the franchise.

In the latest outing, Riddick has been left for dead on a hostile planet and grows ever stronger as he fights off his enemies. The movie also stars Jordi Molla, Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Dave Bautista, Bokeem Woodbine, Raoul Trujillo, Nolan Gerard Funk and Karl Urban.

Riddick opens in 22 international markets this weekend, including the U.K. and Hong Kong.

At the specialty box office, Salinger opened to $26,633 from four theaters in New York and Los Angeles for a location average of $7,408.
Old 09-07-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: WBO (9/6-9/8): Riddickulousness...

Good for Riddick. I expected to to be one of those sci-fi movies that opens at #5.
Old 09-07-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Good for Riddick. I expected to to be one of those sci-fi movies that opens at #5.

I wonder if this is considered a disappointed opening. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it's a step in the right direction to warrant other movies in the series.
Old 09-07-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self

I wonder if this is considered a disappointed opening. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it's a step in the right direction to warrant other movies in the series.
I don't see how it can be that disappointing. I thought I read it only cost $45 million to make, so it should easily be profitable.
Old 09-07-13, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It cost $38 million.