Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate: The Reboot (Emmerich) - News, Rumors, Cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by L.A. Times
‘Stargate’ to get movie trilogy? Roland Emmerich plans a reboot
Sept. 06, 2013 | 4:06 p.m.

“Stargate” may be getting a reboot.

Director Roland Emmerich, who co-created “Stargate” with Dean Devlin, says he wants to remake “Stargate” as a film trilogy.

“We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot … and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts,” Emmerich told Digital Spy.
“Pretty soon we’ll have to look for a writer and start.”

But don’t expect James Spader, recently cast in Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” and Kurt Russell to reprise their roles from the 1994 sci-fi flick.

“The actors look totally different,” Emmerich told Digital Spy. “It would not work.”

The film, which Emmerich co-wrote with longtime collaborator Dean Devlin, spawned three spinoff TV series, as well as comics, video games and even a cartoon. “Stargate Universe,” the most recent TV series, was canceled during its second season and ended on a cliffhanger. A planned follow-up film never materialized.

“Stargate” isn’t Emmerich’s only visit to memory lane. The filmmaker is working on “Independence Day 2,” due in theaters July 3, 2015, nearly two decades after the original broke records at the box office.

“There are those people who make mainstream commercial films in order to further their career so that they can one day get to make the movie they’ve always dreamed of making,” Devlin told Hero Complex earlier this year. “And then there’s those people who really, really love mainstream movies, and Roland’s one of those people. He approaches these films with the same amount of love and passion as Scorsese does when he does an art picture.”
I guess there are no more natural disasters on a global scale for Emmerich to profit from?
Old 09-06-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Stargate: The Reboot (Emmerich) - News, Rumors, Cast

Roland Emmerich needs to be euthanized. It's our only hope.
Old 09-06-13, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stargate was a lot of fun in 1994. It's still fun now. This is pointless.
Old 09-06-13, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No. God no. Fuck no. Someone put that asshole down immediately. Please make it stop.
Old 09-06-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Stargate was a good premise, terrible execution. I'm all for a reboot. I'd prefer Emmerich wasn't involved though.

I never watched any of the TV shows so I don't know what's left to be mined from this series.
Old 09-06-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Stargate was a lot of fun in 1994. It's still fun now. This is pointless.
Yeah. I'd be down for a sequel instead but isn't that basically what all the different TV series were?
Old 09-06-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm always up for more Stargate. The premise has endless possibilities.
Old 09-06-13, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Roland Emmerich raped my childhood!
Old 09-06-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Hmmm. The TV show was good. It's a fun premise.

I hope they use a "new team" and "new story" and don't try to change the origins. No need to start back at the origin and ask us to take that leap in logic.

Emmerich always seems to follow through with his announcements. I remember doubting The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 - and then there they were. So I think we're going to get this trilogy.
Old 09-08-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I can't imagine MGM would want to throw away everything they accomplished with the TV series. If anything get the TV cast to reprise for new team launch.
Old 09-08-13, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you get it? Movies are the in thing, man.
Old 05-29-14, 07:17 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Stargate rebooted as a trilogy by Roland Emmerich

MGM and Warner Bros. are partnering with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin on a reimagining of their sci-fi hit “Stargate.”

Emmerich is set to direct, with Devlin to produce. The idea is to use the film to kick off a planned trilogy that reboots the 1994 pic.

“We couldn’t be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original ‘Stargate,’ to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations,” MGM chairman-CEO Gary Barber said. “’Stargate’ is one of the biggest titles in MGM’s vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate.”

MGM will be running production on the film, with Jonathan Glickman, president of the motion picture group, overseeing on behalf of MGM, and Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production, overseeing for Warner Bros. Pictures. Worldwide distribution will be handled by Warner Bros. Pictures, with select international territories to be handled by MGM.

The original film starred Kurt Russell and James Spader and grossed more than $200 million worldwide.
Old 05-29-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still the dumbest fucking thing.

SG1 is Stargate, the movie's mediocre at best.
Old 05-30-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were both MUCH better than the movie. The movie was fairly good, but SG-1 and Atlantis were excellent Science Fiction TV shows.

Attempting to erase 15 years worth of excellent TV show history is stupid. I know it's not going to be in the same conitinuity, but still - they had a great franchise and MGM screwed it up by cancelling Atlantis a year or two too early to go with the, "Edgier," show, Stargate Universe, which was poorly received by fans of SG-1 and Atlantis. Rather than going back to what worked so well, MGM decided to mothball the SG-1 universe. And now it looks like it's completely dead.

They had planned a moderately budgeted big screen SG-1 movie until Universe flopped. That would have been a much more exciting prospect.
Old 05-30-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Somewhere in all of the paperwork that is signed, should be a clause that states the movie can not be remade within a certain period of time. Like a 100 year agreement.
Old 05-30-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like it better if it was set in the TV series continuity. Have it focus on a new SG team & some adventure on some new planet. That way they don't have to use any TV characters and can do their own thing.
Old 06-25-14, 04:09 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich owned the 1990s when it came to big budget scifi with STARGATE and INDEPENDENCE DAY. Now, with both of those franchises getting sequels or reboots, Devlin is right back in every conversation as fans process the prospect of these new films. With STARGATE already having spawned a number of television series spin-offs, it seemed odd to do away with all of that established continuity for a new trilogy of films. But, according to Devlin, the TV series are the exact reason why STARGATE is being rebooted.

In an interview with the Portland Business Journal, Devlin explained exactly why the independently financed STARGATE was never completed the way he and Emmerich had originally intended.

“The Stargate thing is a different story. We did the original Stargate as an independent movie. It was a surprise success. Shortly before the movie came out, the financiers who were frightened the movie might not do well sold the film to MGM. When the film came out, it was a hit and spawned TV shows.

Of all the projects I’ve ever done, Stargate is the only one from the beginning intended to be a trilogy. We always wanted to do parts two and three, but the thinking was they didn’t want to do anything other than the TV series. So literally for 20 years I’ve been chasing this project. Twenty years later, we can’t really do part two. We have to start over from the beginning. So let's reboot the series, put in all the things we couldn’t the first time, and set it up properly.”
Old 06-25-14, 04:26 PM

As much as I enjoyed the movie way back when, nothing in that film - and nothing they could put in any sort of reboot - will ever measure up to the television scene of O'Neill and Teal'c hitting golf balls into an open stargate.
Old 06-25-14, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually really liked the TV show.
Old 06-25-14, 05:09 PM

It's not even arguable. SG 1 was way, way better than the movie.

So was Atlantis.
Old 06-25-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The movie brilliantly captured the awe there would be in stepping onto an alien world and seeing a truly alien life form. But then there had to be pyramids and ancient Egyptian androgyny and the film went to hell. I would love to see a non-horror movie where alien life is discovered but it does not look like a human with plastic parts stuck to its face and is not looking to destroy Earth. Just a planet with its own unique lifeforms and geopgraphy.
Old 06-25-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm pretty sure he just said a year or two ago he was saying trilogy and get the crew back together...
Old 06-25-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
The movie brilliantly captured the awe there would be in stepping onto an alien world and seeing a truly alien life form. But then there had to be pyramids and ancient Egyptian androgyny and the film went to hell. I would love to see a non-horror movie where alien life is discovered but it does not look like a human with plastic parts stuck to its face and is not looking to destroy Earth. Just a planet with its own unique lifeforms and geopgraphy.
Old 06-26-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I was never able to get into the show, but I loved the original movie. Wouldn't mind seeing another take on this.
Old 06-30-14, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they covered everything they could possibly think of in the various TV spinoffs. So a big no thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.