Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A. C. Crispin Passes Away

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
A. C. Crispin Passes Away

Wow. I grew up reading her novels. I loved Yesterday's Son and it's sequel. Her V novelization of the 2nd mini-series was better than what was televised.

Star Wars, Star Trek And V Author Ann Crispin Passes Away
Posted on September 6, 2013 by Dan Wickline

It was announced today that Science Fiction author Ann Crispin passed away this morning after a prolonged battle with cancer. Crispin wrote twenty-three published novels in thirty years, getting to play in some of the biggest sci-fi franchises and even creating her own. For Star Wars she wrote the Han Solo Trilogy that is set prior to A New Hope, a half-dozen Star Trek novels including Yesterday’s Son (her first published novel) and Sarek, and three books for the V series including the initial novelization. She also wrote a 230,000 word Pirates of the Caribbean novel called The Price of Freedom. She created her own series Starbridge that saw seven novels published.

She was founder and chair of the Science Fiction Writers of America’s committee against scams, also called Writer Beware. A volunteer group with the mission is to track, expose, and raise awareness of the prevalence of fraud and other questionable activities in and around the publishing industry.

Crispin was married to fellow science fiction author Michael Capobianco.

On September 3rd, Crispin took to facebook to say goodbye:

I’ve been hesitant to make this post, but it’s time. I want to thank you all for your good wishes and prayers. I fear my condition is deteriorating. I am doing the best I can to be positive but I probably don’t have an awful lot of time left. I want you all to know that I am receiving excellent care and am surrounded by family and friends.
I wish all aspiring writers the will to finish and a good contract. Please continue to monitor Writer Beware and be careful who you sign with. Victoria Strauss and Richard White are there to help.

I’ve asked Michael to collect and read me your messages. As I don’t know how things will proceed, I don’t know if I’ll have the strength to post on Facebook again.

RIP
Old 09-06-13, 01:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: A. C. Crispin Passes Away

That's a damned shame. She'll be missed...
Old 09-06-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: A. C. Crispin Passes Away

I met her once at a convention, and she was very open and friendly. Years before I had even wrote her some fan mail when I was a kid and read Yesterday's Son (and loved it), and she replied to me just as enthusiastically. I hadn't read much of her work since the early 90s, but I loved her novels. RIP