Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wind Rises (Miyazaki's LAST film) US wide release: 2/21/14

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="620" height="515" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PhHoCnRg1Yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The film is based on the manga of the same name, which is in turn based on a short story by Tatsuo Hori, a writer, poet and translator from mid-20th century (Showa period) Japan. Kaze Tachinu is a fictionalised biography of Jiro Horikoshi, designer of the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft which served in World War II. Miyazaki has claimed that this will be his final film, which was officially confirmed when he announced his retirement shortly after the film's release
Sad to see him go but glad that he put out one last film. This was released in Japan last month.

Oddly enought this film got a lot of controversy. I'll just quote what Wikipedia had.

On release in Japan, the film received criticism from both the political left and right, as well as from an anti-smoking group. Miyazaki himself added to the controversy by publishing an article in which he criticized Japan's conservative party's proposed changes to the constitution, which irritated nationalists. Leftists were unhappy that a war-plane designer was the film's protagonist. Some questioned why Miyazaki would make a film about a man who "built killing machines", and others pointed out that some of the laborers who built the planes were Koreans and Chinese who were forced into labor. The film has also received criticism from the South Korean public
Old 09-06-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The Wind Rises (Miyazaki's LAST film)

This piece includes a review round-up:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...the-wind-rises

I found this critical comment from the Guardian interesting:

Hayao Miyazaki, the master craftsman of hand-drawn animation, comes bumping into Venice with The Wind Rises, a gorgeous yet ultimately frustrating tribute to the Japanese airplane designer Jiro Horikoshi. Here is a film with a clean outline and a foggy centre. I wanted to love it, tried to love it and then went down in flames. It turns out that it is not always possible to view the beauty in isolation. Sometimes you need to take a long, hard look at the outside world and then perhaps connect the two.
Old 09-06-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miyazaki has "retired" after his last three or four films. Maybe it's for real this time, but we can't be sure.

I've heard mixed impressions about this one. I'm still excited to see it, but my expectations aren't really high. So hopefully, as a result, I come out impressed.

No word on a US release yet?
Old 09-06-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Miyazaki has "retired" after his last three or four films. Maybe it's for real this time, but we can't be sure.

I've heard mixed impressions about this one. I'm still excited to see it, but my expectations aren't really high. So hopefully, as a result, I come out impressed.

No word on a US release yet?
In the piece I linked to, it says this:

an awards season campaign is planned by Disney, who will distribute in North America
It will premiere in the U.S. at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 28.
Old 09-06-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
<iframe width="620" height="515" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PhHoCnRg1Yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Good lord, a 4 minute trailer? They usually give away too much in 2 minutes. Can't bring myself to watch this.
Old 11-16-13, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
'The Wind Rises' Hayao Miyazaki's final film (wide release Feb. 2014)

I must preface this by stating that the week long Los Angeles/New York City film screenings to qualify it for Oscar consideration was last week - sorry.

anyhow.

"The story centers on Jirō Horikoshi (played by Evangelion director Hideaki Anno), the designer of Japan's famed Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter plane of World War II. Disney will release the film in North America, and Studio Ghibli International announced that it will produce the English-language dub with producer Frank Marshall (From Up On Poppy Hill, The Secret World of Arrietty, Ponyo).

The film screened at the Venice International Film Festival on September 1-2. The Toronto International Film Festival will screen the film's North American premiere from September 11 to September 15, and the film will make its United States debut at the 51st New York Film Festival between September 27 and October 13."

The US commercial theatrical engagement begins February 21, 2014

Did anyone see this at any of the prior film festivals/ LA-NYC run?
Old 11-16-13, 03:29 PM
Banned

Re: 'The Wind Rises' Hayao Miyazaki's final film (wide release Feb. 2014)

forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/613233-wind-rises-miyazakis-last-film.html
Old 11-16-13, 03:32 PM

oops - and I had thought I had done an advance search of the film.
Old 11-16-13, 03:41 PM
Banned

Re: The Wind Rises (Miyazaki's LAST film) US wide release: 2/21/14

I dunno. I do wish the general search wasn't so broad.
Old 11-16-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are they still doing the usual Star Studded english dub or are they for once putting it out subtitled
Old 11-16-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Subtitled movies are still box office poison, they never get very broad releases.
Old 11-16-13, 07:46 PM
Banned

What was the last big one? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
Old 11-16-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles

I must preface this by stating that the week long Los Angeles/New York City film screenings to qualify it for Oscar consideration was last week - sorry.

anyhow.

"The story centers on Jirō Horikoshi (played by Evangelion director Hideaki Anno), the designer of Japan's famed Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter plane of World War II. Disney will release the film in North America, and Studio Ghibli International announced that it will produce the English-language dub with producer Frank Marshall (From Up On Poppy Hill, The Secret World of Arrietty, Ponyo).

The film screened at the Venice International Film Festival on September 1-2. The Toronto International Film Festival will screen the film's North American premiere from September 11 to September 15, and the film will make its United States debut at the 51st New York Film Festival between September 27 and October 13."

The US commercial theatrical engagement begins February 21, 2014

Did anyone see this at any of the prior film festivals/ LA-NYC run?
I tried to see it during its New York run: First time: the train ran late and I would have missed the beginning so I went to see THE COUNSELOR instead; Second time: the evening show was sold out when I got there.

I'm really pissed that Disney put it in such an out-of-the-way theater at such inconvenient times for a week only. I hate to have to see the English dub first. I may just get the Japanese DVD when it comes out and hope that it's before the U.S. release.
Old 11-16-13, 07:57 PM
Banned

Why DVD instead of BD?
Old 11-16-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What was the last big one? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
Hero. And only because it had Quentin Tarantino's name attached to it. Maybe Pan's Labyrinth. I was blown away that I got the chance to see The Orphanage at my local AMC. It was only there for three or four days, but even so, it was nice. I hardy get much of anything esoteric in my neck of the woods, and when I do, it's at art houses which are either out of the way or in parts of town I'd rather not go . Maybe it'll get a bit of a wider release if it gets any awards buzz. How have their dubbed versions done at the box office? Any business?
Old 11-17-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Subtitled movies are still box office poison, they never get very broad releases.
there was a spanish language movie that ended up making near 50 million bucks in Sept
Old 11-17-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which one?
Old 11-17-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which one?
Instructions Not Included
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=...otincluded.htm
fully subtitled
Old 11-17-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

And let's not forget a little something called The Passion of the Christ that pulled in a ton of money. But that's a different situation.
Old 11-18-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And let's not forget a little something called The Passion of the Christ that pulled in a ton of money. But that's a different situation.
It is, that had the religious audience and the controversy. It's very much an exception to the rule.
Old 11-19-13, 11:39 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The last several Miyazaki films that Disney has released starting with Spirited Away have been released in dubbed and subbed versions theatrically. Typically 3 screenings a day in English and one in the original Japanese.
Old 03-24-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Saw this over the weekend. A bit slow, and a lot more grounded than the usual Ghibli fare, but very lovely. I can see the controversy, though. It's a fictionalized biopic about
Spoiler:
a Japanese airplane engineer before and/or during World War II, and they flat-out say that they're building planes to bomb China, the U.S., etc., and our hero is designing the Zero. There's also one tobacco-related scene in which
Spoiler:
the hero is working at home next to his tuberculosis-stricken wife and says he needs a smoke. He admits it'll be bad for her, but she says "I don't care," so he says "OK" and starts puffing away.

Glad I saw it, and I enjoyed it, but not what I'll remember Miyazaki for.
Old 03-24-14, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Saw this over the weekend. A bit slow, and a lot more grounded than the usual Ghibli fare, but very lovely. I can see the controversy, though. It's a fictionalized biopic about
Spoiler:
a Japanese airplane engineer before and/or during World War II, and they flat-out say that they're building planes to bomb China, the U.S., etc., and our hero is designing the Zero. There's also one tobacco-related scene in which
Spoiler:
the hero is working at home next to his tuberculosis-stricken wife and says he needs a smoke. He admits it'll be bad for her, but she says "I don't care," so he says "OK" and starts puffing away.

Glad I saw it, and I enjoyed it, but not what I'll remember Miyazaki for.
while it's not directed by Miyazaki this film is more akin to 'Whisper of the Heart' - in 'The Wind Rises' the use of the dream sequences and all those clouds and flying sequences though scream out 'Miyazaki'
Old 03-24-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
while it's not directed by Miyazaki this film is more akin to 'Whisper of the Heart' - in 'The Wind Rises' the use of the dream sequences and all those clouds and flying sequences though scream out 'Miyazaki'
Yeah, that one definitely came to mind as another example of a more realistic Ghibli venture.
Old 03-24-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I saw this weekend before last. Enjoyed it very much. The animation looked gorgeous on the big screen. I would love to see a Miyazaki marathon at a theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.