Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Era of rubber-suited monsters in Tokyo is coming to an end

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There's a good article from Tokyo in today's New York Times on how traditional Japanese special effects--rubber-suited monsters and superheroes in miniature sets--are gradually being phased out. The correspondent reports from the set of the newest Ultraman movie. (The Japanese continue to do new Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Sentai/Power Rangers movies every year.) The reporter even interviews Shinji Higuchi, who directed the special effects sequences for the three 1990s Gamera movies. The interviewees lament the fact that younger workers aren't being trained in the time-honored techniques. When the current generation of craftsmen retire, that's it.

Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/wo...lla-roars.html
Old 09-02-13, 07:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Era of rubber-suited monsters in Tokyo is coming to an end

I don't buy it, someone will always produce hokey shit like this... because it's cheap.
Old 09-02-13, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always wondered when this would happen. It was getting closer to it and it is heavily aged to the point where it isn't as dynamic as it was.

I love that work they do but it doesn't look good anymore. At least to me and in this time. I'd love to see another Toho Godzilla film done in this method but even the millennium series had a clash of imagery with its effects. The problem with all this is that Japan isn't as amazing as it was in film. I do think if you gave a G film to a very good director you'd be able to bring a dynamicism of filmmaking to it. Unfortunately Toho has mostly done what was done to Bond. Thought of it as a product from a machine line. No unique level of authorship/creativity.
Old 09-02-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Good, it's about time Japan got its rubber monster problem under control. 60 years is too damn long to let an issue like this slide.
Old 09-02-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Interesting article. However, I too believe it is time for this stuff to move aside. I actually am kind of shocked it's lasted into the 21st century.
Old 09-02-13, 10:57 AM
Banned

I've never been amazed by the CGI work in their films. Do they not have great CGI studios over there or they just plop enough money for foregin studios to do what needs to be done and then just roll with it?

There is NOTHING wrong with a CGI G if it's done right. But there is also something entirely wrong with Japan not moving on with it's mythology in film and evolving with the filmmaking.
Old 09-02-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for posting. I am always interested in reading about practical vs CGI effects.
Old 09-02-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I do think if you gave a G film to a very good director you'd be able to bring a dynamicism of filmmaking to it.
Godzilla: Final Wars.

I rest my case.
Old 09-02-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, albeit brief, article. I've been a big fan of tokusatsu films for as long as I can remember. They're right, nothing can beat a tangible suit allowing for unexpected takes and a sense of realism. But, sadly, modern audiences rarely appreciate these things any longer, which leads to a rise in CGI characters and environments. Personally, I like to see a mix of the two in newer kaiju films. I'm not exactly a big fan of the millenium era of Godzilla films, but they did provide a good blend of rubber suit elements alongside CGI. I'd like to see future productions do the same, though it's unlikely to happen. Especially if they pull off Godzilla '14, there's no way audiences in U.S. or Japan would accept a regression back to man-in-suit when CGI had worked so well.
Old 09-02-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting article. However, I too believe it is time for this stuff to move aside. I actually am kind of shocked it's lasted into the 21st century.
I see it like stop-motion monster effects. It was part of some great movies, but it's a technique whose time has past.

They do need to get better CGI. Nothing quite tears me out of a monster/fantasy movie like bad CGI. And I've seen a number of recent Asian movies with jarringly bad CGI that spoiled otherwise good movies. It can be done well on a budget, but you don't want to go down the road of SyFy Channel original movies.
Old 09-02-13, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Godzilla: Final Wars.

I rest my case.
To what? It was a pretty fun film but it wasn't great. Issues even calling it a solid good. I enjoyed seeing all that shit happening with the Kaiju but was it the way you'd want the big G end for the way it did? No. Godzilla hasn't been great for years. He's always been awesome cuz he's...the big G. No. Godzilla has sucked for years.

As a combination of CGI and practical effects? It was at best ok. There is no creativity in that CGI. Even for that year it's not up to par.

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Nice, albeit brief, article. I've been a big fan of tokusatsu films for as long as I can remember. They're right, nothing can beat a tangible suit allowing for unexpected takes and a sense of realism. But, sadly, modern audiences rarely appreciate these things any longer, which leads to a rise in CGI characters and environments. Personally, I like to see a mix of the two in newer kaiju films. I'm not exactly a big fan of the millenium era of Godzilla films, but they did provide a good blend of rubber suit elements alongside CGI. I'd like to see future productions do the same, though it's unlikely to happen. Especially if they pull off Godzilla '14, there's no way audiences in U.S. or Japan would accept a regression back to man-in-suit when CGI had worked so well.
I thought the article was nice but severely short. That's to blame that I love that filmmaking type in Japan. In the modern era...I'm not sure the rubber suit Kaiju looks all that great. Mostly to blame on failure to color time Kaiju suit fight with everything else, undynamic use of the camera, failure to get a good CGI studio or put enough money into it, creative imagination, etc.

They've lived on the standard of merely good for a while. Blame it on Toho, blame it on whomever but it's true. They went for fresh and different but never pulled solid quality storytelling. I did really enjoy 2 or 3 of the millenium series.
Old 09-02-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of have mixed feelings about that. I LOVE the Japanese work from the mid 50's to the mid 70's. At its best, it was really creative, cool and fun, and really brought something unique to those movies and tv shows. While I still like a lot of Godzilla and Gamera movies from the 80's, 90's and 2000's, there really wasn't the same charm to them. The suitmation and miniature effects still looked pretty good, and still looked better than bad CGI, but yeah, maybe the time for those effects is past. I think with both stop-motion and suitmation, they didn't usually look real, but they looked cool and really added to the vibe of the movies--and movies aren't always about creating worlds that are realistic.

But yeah, it will probably go the route of stop-motion, where it may occasionally be used for effect (Terminator, Army of Darkness), but you won't really have films built around it.
Old 09-02-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Fukushima radiation leaks, they'll soon have real giant rubber monsters to worry about!
Old 09-02-13, 10:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh, give it five years and hipster will hit Japan. Then you'll have about 50 different directors throwing it in because it is retro and chic. I wouldn't count it out just yet, nor would I see it as a dying art, yet.
Old 09-03-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I think Super Sentai returned to miniatures a couple of seasons ago (Gobusters) and after a semi-drought it made a big difference. It seems like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are getting destroyed in the ratings to stuff like Pokemon, though the merchandise sales are still pretty good. But if there are still jobs around, isn't the economy in Japan such that some young people would come learn the craft to have a job?
Old 09-03-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzeo
Eh, give it five years and hipster will hit Japan. Then you'll have about 50 different directors throwing it in because it is retro and chic. I wouldn't count it out just yet, nor would I see it as a dying art, yet.
I thought hipster came from Japan. Based on the movies and photos I've seen they had it 10+ years ago.

Or is this one of those things where no one knows what that damn word means (I'm including myself in that)?
Old 09-03-13, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, without rubbers STD's will run rampant throughout Japan.