Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

should I watch Fringe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
should I watch Fringe?

Just saw that the entire series is on Netflix. Is it worth the time investment to watch the whole thing? I've never seen any eps, so I'm wondering if it's good.
Old 08-25-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: should I watch Fringe?

One of the most underrated science fiction shows that aired on network TV. Absolutely watch it.
Old 08-25-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% yes. Make sure to stick through the first half of season one, which can be a little rocky at times. But even in the end, the payoff of is there for every element of the show. Easily one of the best shows of all time.
Old 08-25-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Highly recommended! It starts off like an updated version of X-Files, but by the end of season 2 it definitely strikes out on its own path. And unlike X-Files, there is much better resolution to the long story arcs.
Old 08-25-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'd say its only the first 6 or so episodes that are rocky(Peter is written as an insufferable douchebag but that eases up as the season progresses), but the entire first season comes off as X-Files 2.0. That's not a bad thing though. Once you hit the first season finale you'll know it's going to forge an entire different path.
Old 08-25-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it in the last couple of weeks after going through it on DVDs & Netflix. Great series, but the last season was a huge disappointment. I know that they didn't know if they would be back for a 5th season, but that season was a big drop in terms of quality, IMO. But the series deserves a watch.
Old 08-25-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was watching the series on Netflix and got kind of burned out about half way through season 4. I intend to pick it up again but was going to wait until Netflix gets season 5 so I can finish it up. I don't want to be left hanging.
Old 08-25-13, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no
no
no
Old 08-25-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I say start at ep 10, it's great after that
Old 08-25-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I blew through it pretty quickly this summer. I still think X-Files did monster of the week better but Fringe was better with mythology. I was disappointed with certain aspects of seasons 4 and 5 but enjoyed the show thoroughly.
Old 08-25-13, 07:49 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Yup. Worth it!
Old 08-25-13, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
I say start at ep 10, it's great after that
You could do this...but there is some payoff in the last season for a lot of the season one episodes.

I didn't start watching the show live until season three was almost over, but I don't see the drop in quality in season four or five that some are saying. I felt like my jaw dropped almost every episode when connections were made or the plot advanced.

To me, Fringe was successful at everything Lost failed miserably at.
Old 08-25-13, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first half of the first season wasn't very good, but once they started serializing the show it got really good.
Old 08-26-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I'd almost recommend skipping season one if you're impatient. The network obviously had a very different show in mind before they let the writers completely retool it in season two.
Old 08-26-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd almost recommend skipping season one if you're impatient. The network obviously had a very different show in mind before they let the writers completely retool it in season two.
Even though the 1st half of season 1 was more procedural cases of the week, you see how the show progresses and then towards the end of season 1 it develops it's serialized mythology. The cliffhanger ending with:

Spoiler:
Leonard Nimoy's character William Bell being introduced along with the Red Universe

is very important to the mythology.
Old 08-26-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Dropping any season or even multiple episodes of a show is simple a silly advice. Let him form his own opinion.
Old 08-26-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing, rock solid and the best sci fi show of the last two decades. The first half of season one is slow, but good and has a HUGE pay off to the mythology. I was a big X-Files fan, but I think Fringe outdid it every way.
Old 08-26-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Does a bear shit in the woods?
Old 08-26-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh. When it's not trying to be a more convoluted Lost, it's a more convoluted X-Files.
Old 08-26-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hmmm, I didn't think it was convoluted at all. I guess if you didn't watch every episode or came in late or whatever it would be hard but as someone that watched since day one everything made sense to me. Sure if I tried to draw a graph of timelines and universes it would look like a mess but it all made sense in the context of the show IMO.
Old 08-26-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
Hmmm, I didn't think it was convoluted at all. I guess if you didn't watch every episode or came in late or whatever it would be hard but as someone that watched since day one everything made sense to me. Sure if I tried to draw a graph of timelines and universes it would look like a mess but it all made sense in the context of the show IMO.
I watched Fringe from episode 1 straight through. When I say it's convoluted, I don't mean hard to follow--I mean it's convoluted. Plot twists for no real reason, things stretched out, character motivations change all the time... it's a perfect example of style over substance.
Old 08-26-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Fringe's narrative does become overly convoluted in its third and fourth seasons, though for many that is part of the charm. Fringe attempted very ambitious story arcs and pulled them off, for the most part.
Old 08-26-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Watched the first season on DVD and the rest on broadcast. I'd say it was convoluted and confusing but at times awesome. I myself always start from the beginning of a series, which is partly why I still haven't finished Babylon 5.
Old 08-26-13, 12:53 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I know that they didn't know if they would be back for a 5th season, but that season was a big drop in terms of quality, IMO. But the series deserves a watch.
I have to disagree with this. I thought that the fifth season was a case where the writers knew it was the last season, and so they just ran wild with a lot of the wilder ideas and theories that the show had. The huge leap from where the show started (as an X-Files clone) and where it ended was amazing, especially since most shows are afraid to make the slightest changes to their status quo. And while there are episodes that aren't that great during the last season (like The Recordist), episodes like Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There are incredible and tell stories that couldn't be told by other shows.
Old 08-26-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, one of the best shows of the last decade.

The good and bad thing is that they changed writers almost every season! But they had some the best writers that are now in TV, and movies, so sometimes feels like an anthology.

I need to revisit this show in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.