TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Low Winter Sun -- "No Rounds" -- 8/25/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Low Winter Sun -- "No Rounds" -- 8/25/13

Synopsis:

Frank and Geddes work to cover up evidence in McCann's murder; Damon's crew prepares for the Blind Pig opening.

Episode 3 of 10
Old 08-26-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Low Winter Sun -- "No Rounds" -- 8/25/13

Another good episode. I liked the reference to the American-Lafayette debate. It was nice to see the flashback with Katia at the beginning. I also like the Agnew-Geddes relationship. They don't trust each other but they need to work together to get IA off of them.

The side story is interesting but I hope the writers aren't simply using Damon to be the scapegoat for the murders in the end. It seems like that may be the case which would be slightly disappointing. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-27-13, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Yeah I thought this episode was pretty good too. It's getting a little more into character development.

The flashback to what happened to Katya was nice and helped fill in some blanks.

Geddes and Agnew definitely don't trust each other, but have to work together and I think that brings such a different perspective to the "buddy cop/partner" relationships we're so used to seeing on TV.

The subplot with the drug dealers is actually working a lot better now.

This is a pretty solid, well acted and directed show, but it's sort of fallen off and has almost no online/media buzz at all. AMC marketing this is as the next great show like Breaking Bad probably wasn't the best idea, especially for a rookie show. Putting it after Breaking Bad is probably hurting it more than helping it. Cop dramas, especially dark and gritty ones, are probably a really tough sell to a lot of mainstream viewers and online posters.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013082...n-Breaking-Bad

This is an interesting read from The Detroit Free Press on possible ways to help the show. Some of the suggestions make sense.
Old 08-27-13, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still like the show but more for the main storyline with Strong and James. I know that all will be answered in this season long storyline, but it feels like you could fast forward through all of the nonsense with the drug dealers and not miss a thing. That storyline makes no sense right now and that is, IMO, hurting the show with viewers.
Old 08-27-13, 08:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ I agree. The sub-plot with the drug dealers just isn't clicking for me. No one has come off as terribly likeable in the show just yet, but I especially don't care what happens to that group. The Agnew/Geddes story is at least an intriguing one.

I like how the captain gave Agnew props for his handling of the witness and to pursue the lead when all he wanted to do was find a way to cut him loose. Also, I like IA's response to Agnew in their conversation, "I distrust you the least."
Old 08-27-13, 08:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.freep.com/article/2013082...n-Breaking-Bad

This is an interesting read from The Detroit Free Press on possible ways to help the show. Some of the suggestions make sense.
Good read. One thing I'm surprised I haven't heard complaints over is the title of the show. The title of a show, of course, being the initial opportunity to lure potential viewers to tune in.

Aside from airing in August, "Low Winter Sun" just doesn't scream excitement like several other popular shows of the day. Even if a show doesn't have a clever title (i.e., The Killing), they at least make no bones about what you're going to get. Low Winter Sun is just trivial and doesn't give a reason to pull viewers in, IMO.
Old 08-27-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the drug dealer guy sure does look like Christian Bale.

Anyway, I've recently caught up with all the episodes. Pretty engaging, liking it so far.
Old 08-27-13, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed this episode! It's getting there, slowly. There's so much evil going on amongst most of the characters, and Joe Geddes is just downright wicked, and I love him for it. LOL. I can't help but wonder how they'd expand this over several seasons because the premise doesn't seem to allow it. I understand that this show was created to be slow-moving, but I also think that's why it's probably not being talked about and received by too many people. I've said it before that today's viewers lack patience. They want that fast-paced drama that pushes a show straight into the stories that it's trying to tell.
Old 08-29-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
I still like the show but more for the main storyline with Strong and James. I know that all will be answered in this season long storyline, but it feels like you could fast forward through all of the nonsense with the drug dealers and not miss a thing. That storyline makes no sense right now and that is, IMO, hurting the show with viewers.
Agree 100%. I pretty much zone out when they go to the drug dealers. The witness interview scenes were great.
Old 08-29-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I think patience is the key to the drug dealer storyline. My gut feeling is that they will play an important role in the main storyline by the end of the season.
Old 08-29-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I think patience is the key to the drug dealer storyline. My gut feeling is that they will play an important role in the main storyline by the end of the season.
Obviously, but given that they are practically throw-in scenes at this point, it's a lot to expect of a viewer to think back to these scenes when that tie-in is ultimately made.
Old 08-29-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Obviously, but given that they are practically throw-in scenes at this point, it's a lot to expect of a viewer to think back to these scenes when that tie-in is ultimately made.
Agreed. I'm indifferent to the subplot. I think the main story is way more interesting and wouldn't mind just a straight procedural without it. Mark Strong is great in this show.