5th Annual September Criterion Challenge - List Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-25-13, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LIST THREAD - 30 Days of Criterion
August 31st (dusk) - October 1 (dawn), 2013

This thread is for LISTS ONLY. Discussion of films, questions about the challenge, etc., should be directed to the Discussion Thread. You are; however, encouraged to provide reviews and comments within your list.

Many people put their checklists in spoiler tags, to allow easier browsing of the list thread by others.

Also, if you are planning to reveal key plots points/endings in your mini reviews, you should put them in spoiler tags. To apply spoiler tags, you can click the spoiler button on the toolbar or use the text below:

[ spoiler] Remove the spaces to really hide something, like this
Spoiler:
The Criterion Collection is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films on home video.
[ /spoiler]

The challenge officially begins August 31 at dusk in whatever location you are in at the time, and ends on October 1st at dawn in whatever location you are in at that time. Also, feel free to time your final Criterion film(s) to coincide with the start of the Horror Challenge.

Checklist:
Spoiler:
The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Feature Presentation
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920/1930 - (insert film title here)
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000/2010 -

Watch something from spine number range:
--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- 601-650 -
--- 650-700 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (Hint: Check DVD Spine# here for some eligible titles) -

Watch films in at least 5 languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section (Each title must be unique. For example, Pierrot Le Fou could NOT count for Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Luc Godard, and Anna Karina, just one)
--- First Person, (insert title)
--- Second Person, (insert title)
--- Third Person, (insert title)
--- Fourth Person, (insert title)
--- Fifth Person, (insert title)

Watch a film from 5 different “themes” on Criterion’s website
--- First Theme name, (insert title)
--- Second Theme name, (insert title)
--- Third Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fourth Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fifth Theme name, (insert title)

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here
--- First Essay title, (title of film)
--- Second Essay title, (title of film)
--- Third Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fourth Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fifth Essay title, (title of film)

Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews.
--- First Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Second Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Third Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fourth Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fifth Interview Name, (insert film title)

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers
--- First Trailer Title
--- Second Trailer Title
--- Third Trailer Title
--- Fourth Trailer Title
--- Fifth Trailer Title

--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Watch a supplemental short film –
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set/Top Ten List -
--- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack -

Last edited by CardiffGiant; 08-25-13 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 04:19 AM

Re: 5th Annual September Criterion Challenge - List Thread

*=First Time Viewing

1. Che (2008)*: I found Part 1 to be better than Part 2, which after reading a little about it, generally seems to be the consensus. I think any film on Guevara is going to be polarizing, but I don't understand how one could give this a 1 or a 5. It is not great and it is not terrible. Many have questioned the omitted controversial aspects of Che's life. I take issue not necessarily with that decision, but the decision to call it Che and make it 5 hours long. I expect a comprehensive look at the person with that type of title and length. I found myself wanting to know more that was never explained, instead, we simply get Che's organization of the battles in Cuba and Bolivia. For many, that may be enough, but I feel that there is a missed opportunity to talk about this immensely controversial figure. Soderbergh's Che strips away the controversy to a level which sterilizes any true examination of Che the person. Del Toro, as always, is amazing, and with a better script, he may have been given more praise for his role in the film. Rating: 3/5
2. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)*: I have gone back and watched some scenes trying to figure out what is so beloved about the film and I don't think I'm going to find it. I've read Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" review, looked at the 100% Rotten Tomatoes score, read other reviews, and I find nothing there to appreciate in the way others have. Yes, it's interesting that Alec Guinness is playing 8 different characters, but that fact alone doesn't carry the film. I don't always like black comedies, but I do like some. The film's final minutes did leave the audience with something to think about, but this is one whose idea I like much more than the final product.Rating: 2.5/5
3. Hopscotch (1980)*: A fun little caper film. At no point does the audience ever think anything major is at stake. Actually a refreshing type of film. In many ways, I wish I had seen this as a kid, I feel like I would have loved it even more.Rating: 3.5/5
4. Rome, Open City (1945)*: The entire time, I kept thinking of how much this film felt like Bicycle Thieves except that there is much more hopefulness in this Italian Neorealistic film. I've been reading up a bit on the film and it's incredible how quickly following WWII that Rosselini got a crew together to film.Rating: 4/5
5. Wings (1966)*: You'll read a lot of reviews that talk about this film as a hidden gem. It certainly is. Larisa Shepitko is a name I had never heard prior to this set. Not in a film text, documentary, etc. Such a strong female lead, directed by woman, but a story that has nothing to do with being female, but rather what it means to be human, to age, to feel disconnected to the younger generations, to feel unappreciated. A great film and I'm glad that someone on the forum talked me into a blind buy a number of years ago during the B&N sale.Rating: 4.5/5
6. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)*: Beautifully shot. A great story and having seen the remake, I was surprised at some of the scenes and plot lines (I'm avoiding spoilers here) that deviate radically from the original. I love the psychological westerns. How can you civilize a country without civility. This film digs at all of those questions. No character in the film is wholly good or wholly bad, they are not caricatures, rather they are products of their environments and the circumstances that they come across.Rating: 5/5
  • Interview: Elmore Leonard
  • Interview: Peter Ford
  • Elmore Leonard's Drawings (Criterion website)
  • Essay: Kent Jones
7. Autumn Sonata (1978)*: I can't believe it took me this long to get around to this Bergman film. *A haunting film regarding problems of misinterpretation through the generations.Rating: 5/5
8. Red Desert (1964)*: Isolation, modernity, technology, disconnect...but still some hope seeps through.Rating: 4/5
9. The Browning Version (1951)*: Great acting throughout. A quiet sort of film that never falls into the cliches I expected. Ultimately, the film ends with more questions than answers and there will be much to think about each of these characters.Rating: 3.5/5
10. Dazed and Confused (1993) Audio Commentary*: First time listening to the commentary track on one of my favorite Criterion films. Linklater expertly straddles the line between being fun and informative. It's shocking how much of the scenes are based on real life and he really grills the people that gave him a hard time throughout the process (McDonald's, Schlitz, Jimmy Page, the studio, etc.). I also watched a number of interviews, some of which are listed in my checklist. They were less interesting, but good to have nonetheless.Commentary Rating: 4.5/5
11. Vampyr (1932): A bit better on the rewatch. Still a disjointed film, but the images and sounds are haunting.
Checklist
Spoiler:

Feature Presentation
-X- 1920/1930 - Vampyr (1932)
-X- 1940 - Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
-X- 1950 - 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
-X- 1960 - Wings (1966)
-X- 1970 - Autumn Sonata (1978)
-X- 1980 - Hopscotch (1980)
-X- 1990 - Dazed and Confused (1993)
-X- 2000/2010 - Che (2008)

--- 001-050 -
-X- 051-100 - Autumn Sonata (#60)
--- 101-150 -
-X- 151-200 - Hopscotch (#163)
--- 201-250 -
-X- 251-300 - The Browning Version (#294)
-X- 301-350 - Kind Hearts and Coronets (#325)
--- 351-400 -
-X- 401-450 - Vampyr (#437)
-X- 451-500 - Che (#496)
-X- 501-550 – Red Desert (#522)
--- 551-600 -
--- 601-650 -
-X- 650-700 - 3:10 to Yuma (#657)
-X- an Eclipse title - Wings (1966)
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (Hint: Check DVD Spine# here for some eligible titles) -

-X- Spanish, Che.
-X- English, Kind Hearts and Coronets
-X- Italian, Rome, Open City
-X- Russian, Wings
-X- Swedish, Autumn Sonata

Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section (Each title must be unique. For example, Pierrot Le Fou could NOT count for Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Luc Godard, and Anna Karina, just one)
-X- Stephen Soderbergh, Che
-X- Roberto Rossellini, Rome, Open City
-X- Sven Nykvist/Ingmar Bergman, Autumn Sonata
-X- Michelangelo Antonioni, Red Desert
-X- Carl Th. Dreyer, Vampyr

-X- War Films, Che
-X- Comedies, Kind Hearts and Coronets
-X- Italian Neorealism, Rome, Open City
-X- Originals, 3:10 to Yuma
-X- Dysfunctional Families, Autumn Sonata

Special Edition Features
-X- Curious Distances by Kent Ford, 3:10 to Yuma
-X- Vampyr's Ghosts and Demons by Mark Le Fanu, Vampyr
-X- Autumn Sonata: Mothers, Daughters, and Monsters by Farran Smith Nehme, Autumn Sonata
-X- Red Desert: In This World by Mark Le Fanu, Red Desert
-X- Autumn Sonata by Peter Cowie, Autumn Sonata

-X- Elmore Leonard, 3:10 to Yuma (Rating: 4/5)
-X- Peter Ford, 3:10 Yuma (Rating: 3/5)
-X- Richard Linklater (Before Shooting), Dazed and Confused (Rating 3/5)
-X- Richard Linklater (Last Day of Shooting), Dazed and Confused (Rating 2.5/5)
-X- Richard Linklater, Matthew McConaughey, and Don Phillips (Rating 4/5)

-X- Autumn Sonata
-X- Dazed and Confused
-X- Chungking Express
-X- Easy Rider
-X- The Royal Tenenbaums

-X- Watch a film with commentary – Dazed and Confused (1993)
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - 3:10 to Yuma
-X- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack - The Third Man

Last edited by CardiffGiant; 10-01-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Sep. 1
1. Blow Out (1981)-#562 TV--Quentin Tarantino claims this to be one of his top 3 favorite films, and it's easy to see why: Blow Out shows how movie magic is created through clever editing of sound and image as John Travolta's character obsessively splices together evidence of a political assassination he accidentally witnessed.
2. To Be or Not to Be (1942)-#670 DVD--Ernst Lubitsch and Jack Benny are a match made in comedy heaven in this scathingly funny and dark film about a theater company struggling for survival in occupied Warsaw during WWII. Felix Bressart's performance of Shylock's soliloquy towards the end of the film never fails to get me verklempt.

Sep. 2
3. Genocide (1968)-Eclipse Box 37 Hulu--Incoherent doomsday film about insects destroying humanity that manages to incorporate Cold War paranoia, anti-American stereotypes, and a crazy hot villainness.

Sep. 4
4. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)-#357 DVD--Dennis Price is a picture of deliciously droll evil as he carries out the demises of the D'Ascoyne family who stand between him and and the title of Duke of Chalfont.

Sep. 6
5. Eating Raoul (1982)-#625 Hulu--Eating Raoul was a bit late in satirizing the do-anything 70s atmosphere of casual sex, but Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov are hilarious in this slightly-sitcommish black comedy.

Sep. 7
6. The Holy Man (1965)- Hulu--When you visit India, you can see that it is a country soaked in religion, so I really enjoyed Satyajit Ray's strike for skepticism, showing some enlightened friends exposing a con artist "god man" who has taken advantage of a grieving widower and his daughter.
7. This is Spinal Tap (1984)-#12 DVD--An amazing improv comedy fake documentary, and still a brilliant satire of heavy metal, although the music industry depicted has largely disappeared.

Sep. 8
8. Medium Cool (1969)-#658 Blu-Ray--Still digesting this one. I'm still marveling at Verna Bloom's audacity at filming scenes in the midst of the the chaos during the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago.
9. The Rock (1996)-#108 Blu-Ray--Say what you will about Michael Bay, this is one hell of a fun ride. No profundity, no depth, just sheer bravura movie thrills.

Sep. 10
10. The Life of Oharu (1952)-#664 Blu-Ray--One of Mizoguchi's best, poor Oharu's life is destroyed by betrayal and and the machinations of the Edo period aristocracy.
11. Safety Last (1923)-#662 Blu-Ray--When I was a kid, Charlie Chaplin was the undisputed comedy king of the silent era. Then Buster Keaton's films got their revival in the 80s, and now over the past decade Harold Lloyd's films have been rediscovered. Lloyd epitomized the modern young American of the post WWI era: reckless, optimistic, and determined to get ahead with pluck and daring. This film, in which he plays a hapless retail clerk trying to fool his girl that he's a bigshot, is magnificent.

Sep. 11
12. Ran (1985)-#316 DVD--Perhaps it's appropriate that I'm watching a film about warfare and chaos on this day. It's amazing how Tatsuya Nakadai aged so drastically, from portraying the sexy young gunslinger in Yojimbo to the elderly King Lear figure in Ran in a mere 24 years.

Sep. 12
13. Nanook of the North (1922)-#33 TV--Although Robert Flaherty staged the events in the film, urging his Inuit actors to use traditional tools that were already fading from use and wearing clothes that were being replaced with modern dress, there's a charm about this film as we see Nanook performing the daily routines of Inuit life a century ago. Even though none of the text is real (this isn't a family, the women are Flaherty's mistresses, the igloo is actually cut in half to allow the camera to film), we're still seeing real Inuit showing the real exigencies of life in the Arctic in 1920-21.

Sep. 13
14. La Cage aux Folles (1978)-#671 DVD--I first saw this in its original US theatrical release back in 1978 at the Vogue Theater in Louisville KY. As a young gay boy who was trying to deal with my identity in a time and place that was hostile to boys like me, seeing gay images on screen let me know I was not the only one in the world.
15. Winter Light (1963)-#210 Hulu--Bergman excels in showing individuals in existential crises. As an atheist, however, I found it difficult to empathize with a pastor who realizes that his faith is empty and that God does not exist. He ought to come join the rest of us at the bar.

Sep. 16
16. Nashville (1975)-#683 DVD--As soon as I saw that Nashville had been officially added to the Collection, I slapped my old DVD on. This is easily Altman's greatest film, with richly realized characters representing the fragmented America of the mid-70s. I lived near Nashville when the film came out, and the reaction was so negative because the country music community did not understand that Altman was capturing a snapshot of post-Vietnam America, not a puff piece for the Grand Ol' Opry. It's also surprising that the terrific soundtrack was largely composed by the actors, and not professional songwriters.

Sep. 17
17. Time Bandits (1981)-#37 Netflix-Terry Gilliam's films have a wholly original genius--who else could create a fantasy like Time Bandits? Co-written by Michael Palin and produced by George Harrison, it's a wildly imaginative ride through a Boy's Own compendium of myths and legends. Despite its chaotic birth, Time Bandits still works today.

Sep. 21
18. M (1931)-#30 DVD--Although Peter Lorre created memorable supporting roles in Hollywood classics like Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon, he never equaled his performance as a twisted child-murderer driven by his compulsions. Lorre is so brilliant, especially in the trial scene when he is being judged by the Berlin underworld. He makes the audience pity him even as they despise him.

Sep. 22
19. Rosemary's Baby (1968)-#630 Blu-Ray-One of my all-time favorite horror films.

Sep. 23
20. Breaker Morant (1980)-#N/A Hulu-I saw this when it came out 30-odd years ago, and it is still a terrific anti-war film, very similar in theme to Paths of Glory.
21. Quadrophenia (1979)-#624 Blu-Ray-Roddam's film captures fully the spirit of The Who's magnum opus, the pure distillation of what it feels like to be a teenager. My only problem is that Jimmy is such a pathetic mope that I was rooting for the Rockers to kick his whiny Mod backside.

Sep. 27
22. The 39 Steps (1935)-#56 Hulu-Although Hitchcock had made some sensational films between his debut The Lodger eight years earlier, this really is his first film that contains his trademark motifs: the wrong man, the ice-cold blonde, the mysterious object that starts the action.
23. The Blob (1958)-#91 Hulu-Who does not absolutely love this movie? It's a amazing that a cult classic this beloved was made by a shoestring outfit that previously had just made made Sunday school videos.

Sep. 30
24. Island of Lost Souls (1932)-#624 Blu-Ray-One of my favorite pre-Code shockers. Charles Laughton's performance as the effete vivisectionist is worth the price of admission alone.

Spoiler:

Feature Presentation
-X- 1920/1930 - Nanook of the North
-X- 1940 -To Be or Not to Be
-X- 1950 -The Life of Oharu
-X- 1960 -Medium Cool
-X- 1970 -La Cage Aux Folles
-X- 1980 -Blow Out
-X- 1990 -The Rock
--- 2000/2010 -

-X- 001-050 -This is Spinal Tap-#12
-X- 051-100 -The 39 Steps, #56
-X- 101-150 -The Rock, #108
--- 151-200 -
-X- 201-250 -Winter Light, #210
--- 251-300 -
-X- 301-350 -Ran-#316
-X- 351-400 -Kind Hearts and Coronets
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
-X- 551-600 -Blow Out, #562
-X- 601-650 -Rosemary's Baby, #630
-X- 650-700 -* 670-To Be or Not to Be
-X- an Eclipse title -Genocide
-X- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion -Breaker Morant

-X- Japanese, Genocide.
-X- Bengali, The Holy Man
-X- French,La Cage Aux Folles .
-X- Swedish, Winter Light.
-X- German, M.

-X- Ernst Lubitsch, To Be or Not to Be
-X- Akira Kurosawa, Ran
-X- Robert Altman, Nashville
-X- Ingmar Bergman, Winter Light
-X- John Cassavetes, Rosemary's Baby

-X- Classic Hollywood, To Be or Not to Be
-X- Cult Movies, Eating Raoul
-X- Documentaries, Nanook of the North
-X- America, America, Bow Out
-X- Great Soundtracks, Nashville

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets –
-X- The Mark of M, by Stanley Kauffman, M
-X- It Creeps and Leaps, by Kim Newman, The Blob

--- First Interview Name, (insert film title)

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers (all watched on YouTube)
-X- Quadrophenia
-X- La Cage Aux Folles
-X- The Ice Storm
-X- Ran
-X-Koyaanisqatsi

-X- Watch a film with commentary –Ran

Last edited by Gobear; 09-22-14 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

* = First Time View

FTV Total = 5

August 31

1. Stagecoach - Hulu *

Sept 1

2. The Tale of Zatoichi - Hulu

Sept 2

3. Equinox - Hulu *
4. Robocop - DVD

Sept 3

5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - DVD

Sept 10

6. Solaris - Hulu *

Sept 11

7. On the Waterfront - Amazon Prime *

Sept 12

8. Gojira - DVD

Sept 13

9. Cat People - DVD

Sept 14

10. Godzilla, King of the Monsters - DVD

Sept 17

11. The Seventh Seal - Hulu

Sept 18

12. Halloween - DVD

Sept 25

Not Counted Bonus Content
Halloween Unmasked 2000 - DVD

Sept 26

13. The Princess Bride - DVD

Sept 27

14. Monty Python's Life of Brian (Criterion Collection) - DVD

Sept 29

15. Vampyr - Youtube *

Sept 30

16. Jason and the Argonauts - DVD

Last edited by shadokitty; 09-30-13 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Colors: Blu-Ray | HDDVD | DVD | Theater | TV | Netflix | Crackle

Viewing Icons: - First Ever Viewing | * - First Home Viewing | * - First Time Using Owned Media

Watched With: μ - M | τ - T | δ - D

August 31:
0.5 (#002) Shichinin no samurai - part 1 (1954) δ *
a.k.a. Seven Samurai

September 01:
1.5 (#628) The Forgiveness of Blood (2011) - library
- Truth on the Ground
- Acting Close To Home
- Auditions and Rehearsals
- Trailer
- Essay: How Things Work
2.5 (#628) The Forgiveness of Blood (2011) - commentary

September 02:
3.5 (#157) The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
- With the Filmmaker: Portraits by Albert Maysles, featuring Anderson (27:02)
- Interviews with and behind-the-scenes footage of actors Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, and Danny Glover (26:53)
- Outtakes (2:00)
- The Peter Bradley Show, featuring interviews with additional cast members (14:30)
- Trailers
- Essay: Faded Glories

September 06:
4.5 (#600) Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - library
- Newsreel (5:00)
- Trailer (4:50)

September 07:
5.0 (#141) Les Enfants du Paradis: Part 1: Boulevard of Crime (1945) - library
a.k.a. Children Of Paradise
6.0 (#259) À ma sœur! (2001) - library
a.k.a. Fat Girl
- Behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Fat Girl (5:30)
- Trailers (American 1:20) (French 1:12)
- Interview: Catherine Breillat Talks about her film and alternate ending (9:58)
- Essay: Sisters, Sex, and Sitcom

September 08:
6.5 (#141) Les Enfants du Paradis: Part 2: Man in White (1945) - library
7.5 (#426) The Ice Storm (1997) - library
- Trailer (2:30)
- Essay: Baby, It’s Cold Outside

September 13:
8.5 (#276) The River (1951) ☼ *
- Essay: The River (Ian Christie) 2005
- Essay: The River (Alexander Sesonske) 1989

September 21:
9.5 (LD #160) Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Calgary International Film Festival
Essay - Jason and the Argonauts (Bruce Eder)

September 22:
10.5 (#612) Copie conforme (2010) - library
a.k.a. Certified Copy
- Interview: Abbas Kiarostami - Love Is An Illusion (16:02)
11.5 (#616) Shallow Grave (1994) - library
- trailer

September 23:
12.5 (LD #059) The Wizard of Oz (1939) - 3D IMAX

September 28:
13.0 (#002) Shichinin no samurai - part 2 (1954) *
a.k.a. Seven Samurai
14.0 (#321) Jungfrukällan (1960) *
a.k.a. The Virgin Spring
- Introduction by Ang Lee (7:04)

September 29:
15.0 (#230) 3 Women (1977)
- Theatrical Teaser Trailer (1:28)
- Theatrical Trailer (3:14)
- TV spot 1 (0:32)
- TV spot 2 (0:32)
- Essay - Dream Project (David Sterritt)
16.0 (#230) 3 Women (1977) - commentary

September 30:
17.0 (#636) Heaven's Gate (1980) δ - library
18.0 (#260) Eyes Without a Face (1960)
- Theatrical Trailer (3:24) - as The Horror Chamber of Dr. Faustus with Manster
- Theatrical Trailer (3:44)
- Short Film: Blood of the Beasts, Georges Franju’s 1949 documentary about the slaughterhouses of Paris
- director's explanation of short film

Spoiler:
Checklist

The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Feature Presentation
-X- 1920/1930 - The Wizard of Oz
-X- 1940 - Les Enfants du Paradis
-X- 1950 - Seven Samurai, Anatomy of a Murder, The River
-X- 1960 - Jason and the Argonauts, The Virgin Spring, Eyes Without a Face
-X- 1970 - 3 Women
-X- 1980 - Heaven's Gate
-X- 1990 - The Ice Storm, Shallow Grave
-X- 2000 - The Royal Tenenbaums, À ma sœur!
-X- 2010 - The Forgiveness of Blood, Certified Copy

-X- 001-050 - Seven Samurai (#002)
-X- 051-100 - The Wizard of Oz (LD #059)
-X- 101-150 - Les Enfants du Paradis (#141)
-X- 151-200 - The Royal Tenenbaums (#157), Jason and the Argonauts (LD #160)
-X- 201-250 - 3 Women (#230)
-X- 251-300 - À ma sœur! (#259), The River (#276), Eyes Without a Face (#260)
-X- 301-350 - The Virgin Spring (#321)
--- 351-400 -
-X- 401-450 - The Ice Storm (#426)
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
-X- 551-600 - Anatomy of a Murder (#600)
-X- 601-650 - The Forgiveness of Blood (#628), Certified Copy (#612), Shallow Grave (#616), Heaven's Gate (#636)
--- 650-700 -
--- an Eclipse title -
-X- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_laserdisc_releases) - Jason and the Argonauts, The Wizard of Oz

-X- First language, Albanian, The Forgiveness of Blood.
-X- Second language, Japanese, Seven Samurai.
-X- Third language, English, The Royal Tenenbaums.
-X- Fourth language, French, Les Enfants du Paradis, Eyes Without a Face.
-X- Fifth language, Swedish, The Virgin Spring.
French, English, Italian, Certified Copy.

-X- Akira Kurosawa, (Seven Samurai)
-X- Wes Anderson, (The Royal Tenenbaums)
-X- Jean Renoir, (The River)
-X- Jean-Claude Carrière, (Certified Copy)
-X- Ingmar Bergman, (The Virgin Spring)
Sven Nykvist, (The Virgin Spring)
Robert Altman, (3 Women)

-X- Samurai Cinema, (Seven Samurai)
-X- Growing Pains, (The Forgiveness of Blood), The River
-X- Great Soundtracks, (The Royal Tenenbaums)
-X- Classic Hollywood, (Anatomy of a Murder)
-X- Poetic Realism, (Les Enfants du Paradis)
Cut!, (The Ice Storm)
Faith on Film, (The River), The Virgin Spring
First Films, Shallow Grave
New American Cinema, 3 Women
America, America, Heaven's Gate
Cult Movies, Eyes Without a Face
Little Something Extra, Eyes Without a Face
Scary Movies, Eyes Without a Face
Suspense!, Eyes Without a Face

Special Edition Features
-X- How Things Work, (The Forgiveness of Blood)
-X- Faded Glories, (The Royal Tenenbaums)
-X- Sisters, Sex, and Sitcom, (À ma sœur!)
-X- Baby, It’s Cold Outside, (The Ice Storm)
-X- The River - Ian Christie 2005 (The River)
The River - Alexander Sesonske 1989 (The River)
Jason and the Argonauts - Bruce Eder (Jason and the Argonauts)
Dream Project - David Sterritt (3 Women

-X- First Interview Name, (The Forgiveness of Blood)
-X- Primary cast interviews, (The Royal Tenenbaums)
-X- Catherine Breillat, (À ma sœur!)
-X- Abbas Kiarostami - Love Is An Illusion, (Certified Copy)

-X- The Forgiveness of Blood
-X- The Royal Tenenbaums (x2)
-X- Anatomy of a Murder
-X- À ma sœur! (x2)
-X- The Ice Storm
Shallow Grave
3 Women (x4)
Eyes Without a Face (x2)

-X- Watch a film with commentary – The Forgiveness of Blood, 3 Women
-X- Watch a supplemental short film – Blood of the Beast (22:00) (Eyes Without a Face)
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - The Forgiveness of Blood, 3 Women

Criterion.com
Twitter - @Criterion
Flickchart - The Best Criterion Collection Films
Flickchart: The Blog - Criterion Commentaries
ICheckMovies.com - The Criterion Collection
iCheckMovies - Criterion's Eclipse Collection
Flickchart - Criterion Collection on Hulu
Flickchart - Criterion Eclipse Titles
Flickchart - Criterion Collection
Travis McClain's Criterion for Noobs

Last edited by pacaway; 09-04-16 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 08:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

2013 Criterion Collection Challenge

1. All These Women* - Hulu
2. Monsieur Verdoux* - Blu-Ray
3. Blow Out - Blu-Ray
4. The Devil's Backbone - Blu-Ray
5. Rosemary's Baby- Blu-Ray

Last edited by MrTerrific; 09-30-13 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Ash Ketchum's 4th Annual Criterion Challenge

* - first time viewing

Sept. 1, 2013
1. *SWORD OF THE BEAST (1965/Japan, 85 min., b&w, samurai adventure/Shochiku) Seen on Hulu (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Hideo Gosha. Cast: Mikijiro Hira, Go Kato, Shima Iwashita.
Intricately plotted tale of clan intra-fighting and a search for gold in 1857 Japan. Well acted and directed; suspenseful and beautifully shot.

Sept. 2, 2013
2. *BABO 73 (1964/U.S., 57 min., b&w, comedy) DVD (Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. / Eclipse Series 33)
Dir.: Robert Downey. Cast: Taylor Mead, Jim Antonio.
Counterculture comedy prefiguring the hippie era. Amusing in parts, tiresome in others.

September 4, 2013
3. *A MAN ESCAPED (1956/France, 100 min., b&w, drama) VHS (in French with English subs.)
Dir.: Robert Bresson. Star: Francois Leterrier.
In 1943, a French resistance fighter, imprisoned by the Nazis, plots an elaborate escape. My first Bresson. I’m not a convert yet; I need to see more.

4. CHAFED ELBOWS (1966/U.S., 58 min., b&w, comedy) DVD (Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. / Eclipse Series 33)
Dir.: Robert Downey. Cast: George Morgan, Elsie Downey, Lawrence Wolf.
Another underground counterculture comedy from the father of Robert Downey Jr. (who’s seen here as a baby). Amusing in parts, silly in others. Nice New York location footage, though.

September 5, 2013
5. *NO MORE EXCUSES (1968/U.S., 46 min., b&w, comedy) DVD (Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. / Eclipse Series 33)
Directors: Robert Downey, Robert Soukis. Cast: Robert Downey, Alan Abel, Lawrence Wolf.
Another underground counterculture comedy from the father of Robert Downey Jr. IMDB says this is 62 min. and lists a cast member who’s completely absent from this print (Aimee Eccles). Is that 16 min. of footage gone for good? There were 16 other minutes of this film I would gladly have traded for footage of Eccles.

September 6, 2013
6. PUTNEY SWOPE (1969/U.S., 85 min., b&w and color, comedy) DVD (Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. / Eclipse Series 33)
Dir.: Robert Downey. Cast: Arnold Johnson, Laura Greene, Antonio Fargas.
Quintessential counterculture comedy from 1969. A big hit at the time. Extremely dated, but still funny in parts. I wonder how young audiences today would find it.

September 7, 2013
7. *CRUEL STORY OF YOUTH (1960/Japan, 96 min., color, drama) VHS (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Nagisa Oshima. Cast: Miyuki Kuwano, Yusuke Kawazu.
Disaffected youth in Japan. Interesting characters, but gets too heavy-handed in its speechmaking and closes out with an unnecessarily melodramatic ending.

September 8, 2013
8. *ZATOICHI AND THE CHESS EXPERT (1965/Japan, 87 min., color, swordplay adventure/Daiei) VHS (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Kenji Misumi. Cast: Shintaro Katsu, Mikio Narita. One of those films which withholds key info about several major supporting characters until the end. I don't like when that's done. It's more suspenseful when we, the audience, know more than the characters. It also has a very abrupt editing style, which threw me off.

September 9, 2013
9. *PICKPOCKET (1959/France, 75 min., b&w, drama) DVD (in French with English subs.)
Dir.: Robert Bresson. Cast: Martin LaSalle, Marika Green.

September 11, 2013
10. *ZATOICHI’S CONSPIRACY (1973/Japan, 87 min., color, swordplay adventure/Daiei) DVD (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Kimiyoshi Yasuda. Cast: Shintaro Katsu, Eiji Okada, Takashi Shimura.
Zatoichi goes back to his hometown only to get caught up in a conflict between the farmers and a merchant, who'd been a childhood friend of Zatoichi's, who seeks to exploit them. A good and suspenseful entry in this long-running series.

11. *DIABOLIQUE (1955/France, 114 min., b&w, suspense drama) VHS (in French with English subs.)
Dir.: Henri-Georges Clouzot. Cast: Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot.

September 12, 2013
12. ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971/Japan, 94 min., color, swordplay adventure/Daiei) DVD (in Japanese and Mandarin with English subs.)
Dir.: Kimiyoshi Yasuda. Stars: Shintaro Katsu, Jimmy Wang Yu.
Jimmy Wang Yu brings his one-armed swordsman character from Hong Kong movie over to Japan for a memorable encounter with Zatoichi. Wang Yu's character speaks only Mandarin (with subtitles in both English and Japanese) and the miscommunication leads to some tragic misunderstandings. Wang Yu does those Hong Kong-style super-leaps in the air here.

September 13, 2013
13. F FOR FAKE (1975/France-Iran-Germany, 88 min., color, documentary) DVD
Dir.: Orson Welles.

September 14, 2013
14. OHAYO (aka GOOD MORNING, 1959/Japan, 94 min., color, drama) VHS (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Yasujiro Ozu. Cast: Chishu Ryu, Kuniko Miyake, Koji Shitara.

September 15, 2013
15. *F FOR FAKE extras DVD supplements (3)
“Almost True: The Noble Art of Forgery” (1997, 52 min., color, documentary) Unofficial sequel to F FOR FAKE which investigates Elmyr de Hory's claims of having sold his forged paintings to numerous museums.
“60 Minutes” Interview with Clifford Irving (2000) Mike Wallace interviews Clifford Irving (one of the subjects of F FOR FAKE) 28 years after interviewing him on "60 Minutes" about his Howard Hughes "autobiography."
Howard Hughes Press Conference (1972) Audio supplement with Hughes' own answers to questions asked him via conference call about Irving's book, which Hughes denies having anything to do with.

16. ORSON WELLES: THE ONE-MAN BAND (1995/Germany-France-Switzerland, 87 min., color and b&w, documentary) DVD (supplement on the F FOR FAKE DVD)
Directors: Vassili Silovic, Oja Kodar.

17. *THE LIFE OF OHARU (1952/Japan, 136 min., b&w, drama) DVD (in Japanese with English subs.)
Dir.: Kenji Mizoguchi. Star: Kinuyo Tanaka.

18. *THE LIFE OF OHARU extras DVD supplements (2)
“The Travels of Kinuyo Tanaka” (31 min.)
Document of the actress’ goodwill tour of the U.S. in 1949.
“Mizoguchi and the Art of the Demimonde” (19 min.)
Film theorist Dudley Andrew narrates an illustrated essay on Mizoguchi’s films with the emphasis on UTAMARO AND HIS FIVE WOMEN and THE LIFE OF OHARU.

September 21, 2013
19. *PALE FLOWER (1964/Japan, 96 min., b&w, crime drama/Shochiku) DVD (in Japanese with English subtitles)
Dir.: Masahiro Shinoda. Cast: Ryo Ikebe, Mariko Kaga.
An arthouse yakuza movie.

September 28, 2013
20. *GENOCIDE (1968/Japan, 84 min., color, sci-fi horror thriller/Shochiku) DVD (in Japanese with English subtitles) Part of the Eclipse 37 set: “When Horror Came to Shochiku”
Dir.: Kazui Nihonmatsu. Cast: Keisuke Sonoi, Yusuke Kawazu, Emi Shindo, Kathy Horan, Chico Roland.
Odd but imaginative eco-horror-insect thriller involving a remote island, a crashed H-bomb, an Auschwitz survivor conducting experiments on poisonous insects, American officers pushing their weight around, a black airman going mad, and all hell breaking loose. Gets pretty gruesome, insect-wise.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-28-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5th Annual September Criterion Challenge

September 1
Fellini: A Director's Notebook 8 1/2
8 1/2 - Theatrical Trailer

September 2
The Last Sequence 8 1/2

September 3
Nino Rota: Between Cinema and Concert 8 1/2

September 5
Interview with Sandra Milo 8 1/2

September 6
Interview with Lina Wertmüller 8 1/2

September 8
Introduction by Terry Gilliam 8 1/2
8 1/2

September 9
Anatomy of a Murder - Theatrical Trailer
Interview with Foster Hirsch Anatomy of a Murder
Interview with Gary Giddins Anatomy of a Murder
Excerpts from Firing LineAnatomy of a Murder

September 10
Interview with Pat Kirkham Anatomy of a Murder

September 11
Night and Fog

September 12
Newsreel footage Anatomy of a Murder
Behind-the scenes photographs Anatomy of a Murder

September 13
Lord of the Flies - Theatrical Trailer
Lord of the Flies

September 14
Exerpts from Anatomy of "Anatomy" Anatomy of a Murder
Interview with Vittorio Storaro 8 1/2

September 17
Interview with Gerd Gemünden World on a Wire

September 22
Anatomy of a Murder

September 29
Kagemusha Netflix Instant

September 30
The Devil's Backbone - Theatrical Trailer
Video introduction by Guillermo del Toro - The Devil's Backbone
The Devil's Backbone

Checklist:
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
--- 1920/1930 - (insert film title here)
--- 1940 -
XXX 1950 - Night and Fog 1955
XXX 1960 - 8 1/2 1963
--- 1970 -
XXX 1980 - Kagemusha 1980
--- 1990 -
XXX 2000/2010 - The Devil's Backbone 2001

XXX 001-050 - Lord of the Flies 43
--- 051-100 -
XXX 101-150 - 8 1/2 140
XXX 151-200 - Night and Fog 197
--- 201-250 -
XXX 251-300 - Kagemusha 267
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
XXX 551-600 - Anatomy of a Murder 600
--- 601-650 -
XXX 650-700 - The Devil's Backbone 666
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion -

XXX 8 1/2 Italian
XXX Night and Fog French
XXX Lord of the Flies English
XXX Kagemusha Japanese
XXX The Devil's Backbone Spanish

XXX 8 1/2 Federico Fellini
XXX Kagemusha Akira Kurosawa
--- Third Person, (insert title)

XXX 8 1/2 Oscar Winners
XXX Night and Fog Documentaries
XXX Lord of the Flies Growing Pains
XXX Anatomy of a Murder Classic Hollywood
XXX Kagemusha Cannes's Big Winners

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets –
XXX 8 1/2: A Film with Itself as Its Subject by Alexander Sesonske 8 1/2
XXX 8 1/2: When "He" Became "I" by Tullio Kezich 8 1/2
XXX Anatomy of a Murder: Atomization of a Murder by Nick Pinkerton Anatomy of a Murder

XXX Sandra Milo 8 1/2
XXX Lina Wertmüller 8 1/2
XXX Foster Hirsch Anatomy of a Murder
XXX Gary Giddins Anatomy of a Murder
XXX Pat Kirkham Anatomy of a Murder

XXX 8 1/2
XXX Anatomy of a Murder
XXX Lord of the Flies
XXX The Devil's Backbone
--- Fifth Trailer Title

XXX Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - Anatomy of a Murder
XXX Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack - Anatomy of a Murder

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 10-01-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

The Fifth Annual Criterion Collection Challenge

*= first time viewing
blue= personal BluRay
black= personal DVD
green= other

August 31st
1. Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957) - Spine #555
--- "You're an amusing boy, but you haven't got a drop of respect for anything in human life." ~ Mary, on Sidney Falco
  • Interview: James Mangold (filmmaker)
September 1st
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai, 2000)* - Spine #147
--- "Feelings can creep up just like that. I thought I was in control." ~ Mr. Chow, on his feelings for Mrs. Chan
  • Deleted scenes
  • Documentary: @ In the Mood for Love
  • Interview: Tony Rayns (critic), "On the Soundtrack"
  • Essay: "In the Mood for Love" / Li Cheuk-to
3. The Hidden Fortress (Akira Kurosawa, 1958)* - Spine #116
--- "I saw people as they really are. I saw their beauty and their ugliness with my own eyes." ~ Princess Yuki, on her escape and travels
  • Interview: George Lucas (filmmaker)
  • Essays: "The Hidden Fortress" / David Ehrenstein ; "The Hidden Fortress" / Armond White
September 2nd
4. Summer Hours (Olivier Assayas, 2008)* - Spine #513
--- "Grandma said I would bring my kids here - when I have kids. But Grandma is dead, and the house has been sold." ~ Sylvie
  • Essay: "A Time to Live and a Time to Die" / Kent Jones
September 3rd
5. Variety Lights (Federico Fellini & Alberto Lattuada, 1950)* - Spine #81 (watched Essential Art House DVD)
--- "I will be the performer. I don't need anyone. I will form the company. I promise you." ~ Checco, on his future plans
  • Essay: "Variety Lights" / Andrew Sarris
September 4th
6. The Milky Way (Luis Buñuel, 1969)* - Spine #402
--- "A religion without mystery is no religion at all." ~ The French Priest, on the uncertainty of knowing God
  • Inverviews: Jean-Claude Carrière (screenwriter) ; Ian Christie (film scholar)
  • Documentary: "Luis Buñuel: Atheist Thanks to God" (Julien Gaurichon, 2005)
  • Essays: "Easy Striders" / Mark Polizzotti ; "The Heretic's Progress" / Carlos Fuentes
  • Original theatrical trailer
7. This Happy Breed (David Lean, 1944)* - Spine #605
--- "There will always be wars as long as men are such fools as to want to go to them." ~ Ethel Gibbons, on the possibility of war
  • Interviews: Barry Day (film scholar) ; Ronald Neame (cinematographer)
  • Essay: "Home Truths" / Farran Smith Nehme
  • Trailers: Original ; Rerelease
September 5th
8. Burden of Dreams (Les Blank, 1982)* - Spine #287 (Netflix DVD)
--- "If I abandon this project, I would be a man without dreams and I don't want to live like that." ~ Werner Herzog, on Fitzcarraldo

9. The Makioka Sisters (Kon Ichikawa, 1983)* - Spine #567
--- "We will not be able to see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto." ~ Tsuruko, on the fragmentation of the Makioka family
  • Essay: "Of Love and Money" / Audie Bock
September 6th
10. Evita (Alan Parker, 1996) - Laserdisc #337 (watched non-Criterion DVD)
--- "Don't cry for me, Argentina." ~ Eva Perón, on her balcony

11. Pleasures of the Flesh (Nagisa Oshima, 1965)* - Eclipse Set #21
--- "It won’t even be a tragedy. It’ll be a farce." ~ Atsushi, on his probable future

September 8th
12. Remorques (Jean Grémillon, 1941)* - Eclipse Set #34
--- "Couples shouldn’t keep things. We should live, love, be together…" ~ Yvonne Laurent, on how married life should be

13. Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)* - Spine #339
--- "Why is the world so different from what we thought it was?" ~ Ting-Ting, on the different between reality and expectation
  • Interview: Tony Rayns (cinematographer)
  • Essay: "Time and Space" / Kent Jones
  • U.S. theatrical trailer
September 9th
14. The Bad Sleep Well (Akira Kurosawa, 1960)* - Spine #319
--- "I didn’t sleep at all last night and seem to have mistaken night for day." ~ Vice President Iwabuchi
  • Documentary: Excerpt of Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
15. The Mikado (Victor Schertzinger, 1939)* - Spine #559 (library DVD)
--- "I am right and you are right and all is right as right can be" ~ Pooh-Bah & the Chorus
  • Interview: Mike Leigh (filmmaker)
  • Essay: “Celluloid Savoy” / Geoffrey O’Brien
  • Deleted scene
September 10th
16. Topsy-Turvy (Mike Leigh, 1999)* - Spine #558
--- "There's something inherently disappointing about success." ~ W.S. Gilbert, on The Mikado
  • Interview: Mike Leigh (director) and Gary Yershon (musical director)
  • Short film: A Sense of History (Mike Leigh, 1992)*
  • Deleted scene
September 11th
17. F For Fake (Orson Welles, 1975)* - Spine #288
--- "I did promise that for one hour, I'd tell you only the truth. That hour, ladies and gentlemen, is over." ~ Orson Welles, on his intentions
  • Introduction by Peter Bogdanovich (filmmaker)
18. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Buñuel, 1972) - Spine #102
--- "Dinner is served." ~ Simone, on, well, dinner being served

September 12th
19. Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1954) - Spine #14

20. Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1955)* - Spine #15

September 13th
21. Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island (Hiroshi Inagaki, 1956)* - Spine #16

September 14th
22. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)* - Spine #216
--- "The awful thing about life is this: Everybody has their reasons." ~ Octave, on why life and the world sucks
  • Introduction by Jean Renoir (director)
  • Comparison of the film's two endings
  • Selected-scene analysis by Chris Faulkner (scholar/historian)
23. The Organizer (Mario Monicelli, 1963)* - Spine #610
--- "The voice of the majority is the voice of wisdom." ~ Professor Sinigaglia, on complacency

September 15th
24. Something Wild (Jonathan Demme, 1986)* - Spine #563
--- "Remember, no matter what, it's better to be a live dog than a dead lion." ~ Hotel Philosopher, on hangovers (among other stuff)
  • Interviews: Jonathan Demme (director) ; E. Max Frye (screenwriter)
  • Essay: "Wild Things" / David Thompson
September 16th
25. Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945) - Spine #76
--- "I've fallen in love. I'm an ordinary woman. I didn't think such violent things could happen to ordinary people." ~ Laura, on her situation

26. Blithe Spirit (David Lean, 1945) - Spine #606
--- "Down with your head, up with your heart, and you're over the top like a flash and skimming down the other side like a dragonfly." ~ Madame Arcati, on bicycling

September 21st
27. Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970)* - Spine #546
--- "Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules." ~ Bobby, on wanting a side of toast
  • Interview: Bob Rafelson
September 22nd
28. Nanook of the North (Robert Flaherty, 1922)* - Spine #33
  • Featurette: "Flaherty and Film"
29. Fires on the Plain (Kon Ichikawa, 1959)* - Spine #378
--- "What? You still here? Poor guy, when I'm dead, you can eat this." ~ Buddhist soldier, on his arm

September 29th
30. There Was a Father (Yasujiro Ozu, 1942)* - Spine #526

Checklist
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion: Complete
-X- 1920/1930 - Nanook of the North (1922)
-X- 1940 - This Happy Breed (1944)
-X- 1950 - The Hidden Fortress (1958)
-X- 1960 - Pleasures of the Flesh (1965)
-X- 1970 - Five Easy Pieces (1970)
-X- 1980 - The Makioka Sisters (1983)
-X- 1990 - Topsy-Turvy (1999)
-X- 2000/2010 - In the Mood for Love (2000)

-X- 001-050 - Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto, #14
-X- 051-100 - Brief Encounter, #76
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
-X- 201-250 - The Rules of the Game, #216
-X- 251-300 - F For Fake, #288
-X- 301-350 - The Bad Sleep Well, #319
-X- 351-400 - Fires on the Plain, #378
-X- 401-450 - The Milky Way, #402
--- 451-500 -
-X- 501-550 – Summer Hours, #513
-X- 551-600 - The Mikado, #559
-X- 601-650 - The Organizer, #610
--- 650-700 -
--- an Eclipse title -
-X- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion - Evita, released on Laserdisc

-X- Mandarin, Yi Yi
-X- French, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
-X- Italian, Variety Lights
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).

-X- Jean Gabin, Remorques
-X- Toshirô Mifune, Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island
-X- David Lean, Blithe Spirit
-X- Yasujiro Ozu, There Was a Father

-X- New York Stories, Sweet Smell of Success
-X- Documentaries, Burden of Dreams
-X- Samurai Cinema, Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
-X- Amour Fou, Something Wild

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here: Completed
-X- "In the Mood for Love" / Li Cheuk-to, In the Mood for Love
-X- "The Hidden Fortress" / David Ehrenstein, The Hidden Fortress
-X- "A Time to Live and a Time to Die" / Kent Jones, Summer Hours
-X- "Variety Lights" / Andrew Sarris, Variety Lights
-X- "Easy Striders" / Mark Polizzotti, The Milky Way

Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews: Completed
-X- James Mangold, Sweet Smell of Success
-X- Tony Rayns, In the Mood for Love
-X- George Lucas, The Hidden Fortress
-X- Ian Christie, The Milky Way
-X- Barry Day, This Happy Breed

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers: Completed
-X- The Milky Way
-X- Sweet Smell of Success
-X- This Happy Breed
-X- The Makioka Sisters
-X- Yi Yi

-X- Watch a supplemental short film – A Sense of History
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - The Milky Way
-X- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set/Top Ten List - The Samurai Trilogy

Last edited by mrcellophane; 09-29-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. A Story of Floating Weeds (Ozu, 1934)
2. The Long Good Friday (Mackenzie, 1980)
3. Schizopolis (Soderbergh, 1996)
4. Border Radio (Anders, 1987)
5. Koko: A Talking Gorilla (Schroeder, 1978)
6. Ikiru (Kurosawa, 1952)
7. Singin' in the Rain (Donen & Kelly, 1952)
8. Brazil (Gilliam, 1985)
9. Charade (Donen, 1963)
10. Naked City (Dassin, 1948)
11. Fanfan la Tulipe (Christine-Jaque, 1952)
12. Jigoku (Nakagawa, 1960)
13. Branded to Kill (Suzuki, 1967)
14. Blood of a Poet (Cocteau, 1932)
15. Orpheus (Cocteau, 1950)
16. Notorious (Hitchcock, 1946)
17. Tokyo Drifter (Suzuki, 1966)
18. Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1954)
19. General Idi Amin Dada (Schroeder, 1974)
20. The Ruling Class (Medak, 1972)
21. And Everything Is Going Fine (Soderbergh, 2010)
22. I Shot Jesse James (Fuller, 1949)
23. Richard III (Olivier, 1955)
24. Clean, Shaven (Kerrigan, 1993)
25. The Last Wave (Weir, 1977)

Last edited by Sondheim; 09-28-13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

1. Yi Yi* Blu-ray
2. Revanche* Blu-ray
3. Robinson Crusoe on Mars* Blu-ray
4. In the Realm of the Senses Blu-ray
5. Blow Out Blu-ray
6. The Last Wave* DVD
7. Black Narcissus* Blu-ray
8. The Magician* Blu-ray
9. The 400 Blows Blu-ray
10. Insomnia* DVD
11. The 39 Steps Blu-ray
12. Shallow Grave* Blu-ray
13. I Shot Jesse James* DVD
14. The Baron of Arizona* DVD
15. The Steel Helmet DVD
16. House* Blu-ray

*first-time viewing

Checklist:
Spoiler:

Feature Presentation

-X- 1920/1930 - The 39 Steps (1935)
-X- 1940 - Black Narcissus (1947)
-X- 1950 - The Magician (1958)
-X- 1960 - Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
-X- 1970 - In the Realm of the Senses (1976)
-X- 1980 - Blow Out (1981)
-X- 1990 - Insomnia (1997)
-X- 2000/2010 - Revanche (2008)

-X- 001-050 - The 400 Blows (#5)
-X- 051-100 - Black Narcissus (#93)
-X- 101-150 - The Last Wave (#142)
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
-X- 301-350 - Yi Yi (#339)
--- 351-400 -
-X- 401-450 - Robinson Crusoe on Mars (#404)
-X- 451-500 - In the Realm of the Senses (#466)
-X- 501-550 – Revanche (#502)
-X- 551-600 - Blow Out (#562)
-X- 601-650 - Shallow Grave (#616)
--- 650-700 -
-X- an Eclipse title - The Steel Helmet

-X- First language, (Mandarin Chinese), (Yi Yi).
-X- Second language, (German), (Revanche).
-X- Third language, (English), (Robinson Crusoe on Mars).
-X- Fourth language, (Japanese), (In the Realm of the Senses).
-X- Fifth language, (Swedish), (The Magician).

-X- Nagisa Oshima, (In the Realm of the Senses)
-X- Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, (Black Narcissus)
-X- Ingmar Bergman, (The Magician)
-X- Francois Truffaut, (The 400 Blows)
-X- Samuel Fuller, (I Shot Jesse James)

-X- Technicolor, (Robinson Crusoe on Mars)
-X- Amour Fou, (In the Realm of the Senses)
-X- Faith on Film, (Black Narcissus)
-X- French New Wave, (The 400 Blows)
-X- Suspense!, (Insomnia)

Special Edition Features

Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here –

-X- "Time and Space" by Kent Jones, (Yi Yi)
-X- "Life on Mars" by Michael Lennick, (Robinson Crusoe on Mars)
-X- "Some Notes on Oshima and Pornography" by Donald Richie, (In the Realm of the Senses)
-X- "American Scream" by Michael Sragow, (Blow Out)
-X- "Empire of the Senses" by Kent Jones, (Black Narcissus)

-X- "Everyday Realities: Tony Rayns on New Taiwan Cinema and Edward Yang", (Yi Yi)
-X- "Recalling the Film", (In the Realm of the Senses)
-X- "Interview with Nancy Allen", (Blow Out)
-X- "Peter Weir on The Last Wave", (The Last Wave)
-X- "Brief 1967 Swedish Television Interview with Ingmar Bergman", (The Magician)

-X- Yi Yi
-X- Revanche
-X- Robinson Crusoe on Mars
-X- In the Realm of the Senses
-X- Blow Out

-X- Watch a film with commentary – Shallow Grave
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - Shallow Grave
-X- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set/Top Ten List - Eclipse Series 5: The First Films of Samuel Fuller
-X- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack - Shallow Grave

Final Stats

16 films watched: 11 first-time viewings, 5 repeat viewings
2 formats watched: 11 Blu-rays, 5 DVDs

Last edited by rbrown498; 09-30-13 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

2012: 1 item
2011: 5 items

Last edited by davidh777; 12-01-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

2012 List

Watched List:
*first time watch

Aug. 31
1. Gimme Shelter*

Sept. 2
2. M*

Sept. 3
3. The Hidden Fortress*

Sept. 4
4. The Rock
5. The Black Orpheus*

Sept. 6
6. Godzilla*
Godzilla, King of the Monsters*

Sept. 7
7. Evita

Sept. 8
8. Last Holiday*
9. Häxan*

Sept. 9
10. Seven Samurai*
11. La Cage aux Folles

Sept. 10
12. On the Waterfront*

Sept. 12
13. Jungle Book*
14. Elephant Boy*
15. The Drum*

Sept. 13
16. The Lady Vanishes*

Sept. 15
17. The Third Man*
18. Fishing with John*

Sept. 19
19. The Phantom Carriage*
20. The Beales of Grey Gardens*
21. Monterey Pop*
22. The Princess Bride

Sept. 21
23. Mystery Train*

Sept. 23
24. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
25. The Devil & Daniel Webster*
26. Robinson Crusoe On Mars*

Sept. 26
27. Monsoon Wedding*

Check List:
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
-x- 1920/1930 - (M (1931)) (Häxan (1922)
-x- 1940 - Jungle Book
-x- 1950 - The Hidden Fortress (1958)
-x- 1960 - Monterey Pop (1967)
-x- 1970 - Gimme Shelter (1970)
-x- 1980 - Mystery Train
-x- 1990 - The Rock (1996)
-x- 2000/2010 - The Beales of Grey Gardens (2006)

-x- 001-050 - M (30)
-x- 051-100 - Gimme Shelter (99)
-x- 101-150 - The Hidden Fortress (116)
-x- 151-200 - Monterey Pop (168)
-x- 201-250 - The Devil & Daniel Webster (214)
-x- 251-300 - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (300)
-x- 301-350 - Evita (337)
-x- 351-400 - The Beales of Grey Gardens (361)
-x- 401-450 - Robinson Crusoe On Mars (404)
-x- 451-500 - Monsoon Wedding (489)
-x- 501-550 – Mystery Train (521)
-x- 551-600 - Godzilla (594)
-x- 601-650 - On the Waterfront (647)
-x- 650-700 - La Cage aux Folles (671)
-x- an Eclipse title - Jungle Book
-x- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (Hint: Check DVD Spine# here for some eligible titles) - Evita

-x- First language, (English), (Gimme Shelter).
-x- Second language, (German), (M).
-x- Third language, (Japanese), (The Hidden Fortress).
-x- Fourth language, (Portuguese), ( The Black Orpheus).
-x- Fifth language, (French), (La Cage aux Folles).

-x- Akira Kurosawa, (The Hidden Fortress)
-x- Toshiro Mifune, (Seven Samurai)
-x- Ennio Morricone, (La Cage aux Folles)
-x- The Kordas, (Jungle Book)
-x- Wes Anderson, (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

-x- Great Soundtracks, (Gimme Shelter)
-x- Suspense, (M)
-x- Originals, (The Hidden Fortress)
-x- Cut!, (The Rock)
-x- Cannes's Big Winners, ( The Black Orpheus)

Special Edition Features
-x- Rock and Roll Zapruder by Amy Taubin, (Gimme Shelter)
-x- The Mark of M by Stanley Kauffmann, (M)
-x- The Hidden Fortress by Armond White, (The Hidden Fortress)
-x- The Rock by Roger Ebert, (The Rock)
-x- Black Orpheus: Dancing in the Streets By Michael Atkinson, (Black Orpheus)

-x- Harold Nebenzal, (M)
-x- Tadao Sato, (Godzilla)
-x- James T. Fisher, (On the Waterfront)
-x- Alfred Hitchcock and Francois Truffaut, (The Lady Vanishes)
-x- Adler & Penneaker, (Monterey Pop)

-x- Gimme Shelter-Theatrical Trailer 1
-x- Black Orpheus-French Theatrical Trailer
-x- Godzilla-Trailer
-x- The hidden Fortress
-x- Seven Samurai Trailer No. 1, 2 and 3

-x- Watch a film with commentary – Gimme Shelter
-x- Watch a supplemental short film – M. le maudit (on M)
-x- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - Gimme Shelter
-x- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set/Top Ten List - Sabu!: Eclipse Series #30: Jungle Book, The Drum and The Elephant Boy
-x- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack - The Princess Bride soundtrack

ljg765's iCheckMovies.com Eclipse Collection widgetljg765's iCheckMovies.com Criterion Collection widget

Last edited by LJG765; 08-31-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Challenge '09 list
Challenge '10 list
Challenge '11 list
Challenge '12 list

1TV=First-time viewing

1st:
(1TV)1. #523-Night Train to Munich__Carol Reed__1940
Good concept, it just seemed to come up a little short. Worth checking out just for Rex Harrison's performance.
-------------------
2nd
(1TV)2. #607-A Hollis Frampton Odyssey (The Birth of Magellan: Cadenza I__Hollis Frampton__1977)
Well, it's a bit more watchable than the last Frampton thing I watched...
-
(1TV)3. #679-Zatoichi Challenged__Kenji Misumi__1967
The first of many Zatoichi films I expect to watch for this challenge. I was pleased to see that Misumi directed this installment (Who also made my most favorite of the Lone Wolf/Cub movies) A solid entry here, despite only loving the opening & closing acts the most.
-------------------
3rd
4. #533-Crumb__Terry Zwigoff__1995
+Stills Galleries
+Unused Footage

Watched this with Zwigoff's solo commentary. Not too much of the commentary dwells on a lot scene-specifics. Instead there's a lot of focus on the participants that Zwigoff wasn't able to get on film. As well as some background on the genesis of the project. My favorite moments involved an incident when Maxon Crumb visited the Zwigoff household and when Zwigoff mentioned that he gave recommendations from the Criterion Collection to Robert!
-------------------
4th
(1TV)5. #598-World on a Wire__Rainer Werner Fassbinder__1973
This was like Alphaville done Fassbinder style. Though I admit getting restless during part 2 (This is over 200 minutes long) I never did feel that this was dull. Would've liked to have checked out the documentary afterwards, but this was an exhausting viewing.
-------------------
5th
(1TV)6. #488-Howards End__James Ivory__1992
See discussion thread
-
(1TV)7. #403-Cría cuervos__Carlos Saura__1976
Weak and inconclusive ending, but this managed to be the biggest stand-out for me thus far in this challenge. Hauntingly compelling stuff.
-------------------
6th
(1TV)8. #679-Zatoichi the Fugitive__Tokuzô Tanaka__1963
A little identical to the last-viewed Ichi film I saw (Heck, so many of them are identical) but what sets this apart is that we see more different characteristics from Ichi (Such as wrestling,smoking and dancing!) Another thing I liked was that the obligatory Ichi vs Ronin/Samurai battle at the end was nicely drawn out by a bit (A lot of the duels in this series just end way too fast)
-------------------
8th
(1TV)9. #628-The Forgiveness of Blood__Joshua Marston__2011
There seems to not be a whole lot of acclaim for this, but I didn't mind it. Though It's no surprise that I was a bit confused to what "Mediate" and "Besa" meant.
-
(1TV)10. #482-2 or 3 Things I Know About Her__Jean-Luc Godard__1967
+
Antoine Bourseiller
Visual Essay

As one youtuber famously states, "It's a movie about nothing". I tended to agree with him after this viewing wrapped up. Though the visual essay did explain a number of things, this still managed to be the least-liked of the last 3 or 4 Godard films that I've recently seen.
-------------------
9th
(1TV)11. #212-Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie__Vilgot Sjöman__1962
Somewhat of a "Making-of" regarding Winter Light, which is one of my most favorite Bergman films. A bit overlong (4 half-hour TV episodes put together) and often dry (We only see two scenes being filmed. The rest is compiled of interviews), Yet this contains the most in-depth discussion of Bergman's craft as a filmmaker. Most other interviews I've seen with him focus on his private life & religious upbringing. In other words, this was a massive breath of fresh air and a must-see for Bergman fanatics.
-------------------
10th
(1TV)12. #369-Borderline__Kenneth Macpherson__1930
Made in 1930, but it's a silent film. At times, this was difficult to follow since there wasn't a lot of title-cards to give us more info (And what cards there were, they were usually filled with bigotry) Worth checking out though for it's (Often) offbeat filmmaking style. I was especially surprised at how fast certain sequences were cut together. Didn't know they cut edit that fast back then!
-------------------
11th
(1TV)13. #402-The Milky Way__Luis Buñuel__1969
+
Luis Bunuel: Atheist Thanks to God

It's no surprise that a lot of the stabs at dogma went completely over my head (I had never even heard of a Jansenist before) at least there were a few great moments that made this viewing worthwhile. Such as the audible imagination, the priest's story about a miracle, and the "Worker from below" at work.
-------------------
12th
(1TV)14. #158-The Importance of Being Earnest__Anthony Asquith__1953
*Sigh* Well, at least I can admit that I've now seen this. A big snoozer as expected.
-
(1TV)15. #679-Zatoichi and the Chess Expert__Kenji Misumi__1965
The weakest Zatoichi movie I've seen yet for this challenge. Even though the title should have been some kind of indication, the "Chess playing" is mostly minimal while everything else is just uneventful. Even Katsu's swordplay looked sloppy here. I'm sure I'll rebound with my next Ichi flick.
-------------------
13th
(1TV)15. #255-Opening Night__John Cassavetes__1977
+
New conversation between actors Gena Rowlands and Ben Gazzara

Finely acted, as to always be expected whenever Cassavetes is behind the camera, but I just really wasn't able to get into this one. It felt like the same scene was being replayed over and over. Such a shame since I GREATLY enjoyed the last Cassavetes film I saw,
Minnie and Moskowitz. The one rewarding thing about tonight though was the (Supplement) interview with Gena & Ben. Really great stuff. And thank you, Gena, for explaining what John was always going for whenever the camera-lens seemed too close to an actor's face in his films.
-------------------
15th
(1TV)16. #633-The Canterbury Tales__Pier Paolo Pasolini__1972
Possibly the most dumbest thing I've seen from Pasolini, but hardly a dull moment. Thanks to all the nudity.
-
(1TV)17. #614-Summer with Monika__Ingmar Bergman__1953
Whoa. I think that was the most un-Bergman-like movie I've ever seen. But in a great way! It felt much more like early Fellini or early Truffaut than I what I'm accustomed to seeing from Ingmar. And boy, did I like it. As far as this challenge goes, this just took the top spot away from Cría cuervos. Will I run into something better?
-------------------
16th
(1TV)18. (Eclipse) Street of Shame__Kenji Mizoguchi__1956
I was expecting this to be a slow, moody and highly dramatic piece. Instead it's a rather lively (Mostly) and light-hearted affair...At least untill the last 15 minutes.
-------------------
17th
(1TV)19. #406-A Dancer’s World__1957
The subject matter made this feel like it was much longer than 30 minutes. I did appreciate Martha Graham's seductive voice though!
+
(1TV)20 #679-Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival__Kenji Misumi__1970
I knew things would get back on track with this installment of my Ichi-fest. But I wasn't prepared for how much I would really like this one! Very refreshing to see such diverse characters for once. Such as the blind villain, a gay pimp(!), a cute heroine and a borderline-psychotic samurai-opponent. And since this was the start of the 70s (When things began to get risque and ultraviolent) this allowed a much-needed shot of adrenaline for the series.
-------------------
18th
(1TV)21. #406-Appalachian Spring__1959
-------------------
19th
(1TV)22. #622-Weekend__Andrew Haigh__2011
Good, but I was more moved by "Brokeback".
-
(1TV)23. #441-The Small Back Room__Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger__1949
I dunno. Maybe I'm going through marathon fatigue at the moment, but I just really couldn't get into this (Despite always having a near-perfect score with watching Powell/Pressburger films for these challenges) At least it was a joy to see the lovely Kathleen Byron again. I don't think I've seen a film with her since Black Narcisuss.
-
(1TV)24. #534-L’enfance nue__Maurice Pialat__1968
+
L’amour existe
"Maurice Pialat (Interview)"

Alriight! The french arthouse version of Problem Child! Despite the extremely abrupt ending, I still found this to be one of the more better films I've seen this challenge.
-------------------
20th
(1TV)25. #679-Zatoichi's Flashing Sword__Kazuo Ikehiro__1964
I'm still on a roll with these Ichi films. Another quite pleasing entry here. Loved the underwater fight!
-------------------
21st
(1TV)26. (Eclipse) Caesar and Cleopatra__Gabriel Pascal__1945
One of the more insulting costume dramas I've seen to deal with the subject. On the plus side, it was nice seeing Flora Robson enter this marathon (I've suddenly become a fan of hers during the last year or so)
-
(1TV)27. #371-Body and Soul__Oscar Micheaux__1925
While this was much more coherent than the last-viewed Paul Robeson film I saw, it was still tough trying to decipher what was often being said on the title-cards. Crap like: "Deeus hear fo' tryndah make fo' lawd is ya"(???) And I guess that cop-out ending explained why Robeson played two roles in this.
-------------------
22nd
(1TV)28. #612-Certified Copy__Abbas Kiarostami__2010
Very refreshing to finally run into a film, for this challenge, that takes place in one day....Even real-time, I think. Then again, it's from a director who's a master at this (Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry is also a BIG favorite of mine) I may not have loved this film as much as TOC, but this is still going in my best/favorites list by the time this marathon ends.
-
(1TV)29. #669-Charulata__Satyajit Ray__1964
Even though this dragged in the middle, this was still a major step-up from the last Ray film I saw, Music Room. Contains (Without question) the best ending I've seen in this challenge.
-------------------
23rd
(1TV)30. #195-I fidanzati__Ermanno Olmi__1962
Couldn't really get into this. To be fair, I watched this with a lot of distractions going on around me. At least I was able to like the opening montage.
-
(1TV)31. #618-Gray’s Anatomy__Steven Soderbergh__1997
Well, I'm glad I saw And Everything Is Going Fine (One of my favorites on last year's challenge) before I saw this. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had much interest in checking that *Better* film out. Though it was nice to run into something that was completely different in this marathon, most of the movie was just plain annoying to me. I do admit that things began to pick up once we go to the "Sweat lodge".
-
(1TV)32. #350-Seduced and Abandoned__Pietro Germi__1964
+
Commedia all’italiana, Germi Style

Went on longer than it should have. Even though I wasn't a big fan of this, I still seemed to end up liking this more than Germi's Divorce Italian Style.
-------------------
24th
(1TV)33. #205-Veronika Voss__Rainer Werner Fassbinder__1982
+
Dance with Death (Tanz mit dem Tod)

By far, the most gorgeous-looking film I've ever seen from Fassbinder. But what really stole the show for me was the the Dance with Death documentary. I've always known about Sybille Schmitz since Vampyr, but I never knew what a (Tragic) superstar she was. BTW, since I've yet to complete the BRD trilogy with Lola, does a black U.S. soldier appear in that one too?
-------------------
25th
(1TV)34. #646-The Kid with a Bike__Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne__2011
Another piece of amazing work by the Dardennes. At the moment, I think this just might be my favorite film by them. What helped seal the deal was that, just when the story was looking predictable down the stretch, the "Twist" ending occured and allowed more of a beautifully ambiguous touch.
-
(1TV)35. #679-Samaritan Zatoichi__Kenji Misumi__1968
Aside from all the unecessary humorous moments (Which mostly involve a certain comic-relief character), this was one of the most solid Ichi sequels. Contains the best (Obligatory) climactic fight between Ichi and a samurai that I've seen all month.
-------------------
26th
(1TV)36. #361-The Beales of Grey Gardens__Albert Maysles and David Maysles__2006
+
"Introduction"

Granted, it's been a long time since I last saw the original Grey Gardens, but I actually seemed to like this "Sequel" more. I only wish I could've seen an extended piece on Albert's revisit with Jerry (Presented ever-so-briefly in the introduction) and it was quite freaky to hear the mention of Ethel Barrymore playing Big Edie in a movie....Whereas a Barrymore actually did play a Beale in the TV-Movie! (Drew ended up playing Little Edie!)
-------------------
27th
(1TV)37. #570-Zazie dans le métro__Louis Malle__1960
See discussion thread
-------------------
29th
(1TV)38. #372-Sanders of the River__Zoltán Korda__1935
The (Unintentionally) silliest movie I've seen all month, but I was still entertained by this. Thanks mostly to those highly out-of-place musical moments.
-
39. #679-Zatoichi and The Doomed Man__Kazuo Mori__1965
I remember running into this one back when IFC had "Samurai Saturdays", but I had missed the first half-hour. This installment probably had the least amount of action in all the Ichi movies I watched this month, but it had some great highlights. Such as the comic (And tender) bits with the Zatoichi imposter. And, most of all, Ichi's first experience with the ocean. Which is, undoubtedly, one of the greatest moments of the entire series.
-
(1TV)40. #439-Trafic__Jacques Tati__1971
+
Trailer
"Le journal de cinéma"
"Morceaux de bravoure"
In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot Pt. 1

See discussion thread
-------------------
30th
(1TV)41. #599-Vanya on 42nd Street__Louis Malle__1994
My last movie of the challenge. Sadly, I don't go out on a very high note here. This kinda felt like an Altman film but without that magic touch. On the plus side, I don't think I've ever seen Julianne Moore look so beautiful.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-30-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 03:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

* First Time Viewing

September 2
1. The Bicycle Thief (1948) * - 3.5/5

Last edited by Bladz; 09-02-13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

TravisSMcClain's iCheckMovies.com Criterion Collection widget TravisSMcClain's iCheckMovies.com Eclipse Collection widget

Goals
Antichrist
Being John Malkovich
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The English Patient
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold

My List also available on Criterion | Letterboxd
  1. 9/01 Gomorrah
  2. 9/02 The Killing
  3. 9/03 The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  4. 9/04 Copie conforme [Certified Copy]
  5. 9/05 My Man Godfrey
  6. 9/05 The Harder They Come
  7. 9/06 Crumb
  8. 9/07 In Which We Serve
  9. 9/07 Rushmore
    9/08 Rushmore Audio commentary by Wes Anderson, co-writer Owen Wilson, and actor Jason Schwartzman
  10. 9/11 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  11. 9/13 Koyaanisqatsi
  12. 9/16 Being John Malkovich
  13. 9/17 Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman]
  14. 9/17 Charlotte et Véronique, ou Tous les garçons s’appellent Patrick [All the Boys Are Called Patrick] SF
  15. 9/18 Hets [Torment]
  16. 9/21 Les Diaboliques
  17. 9/21 12 Angry Men
  18. 9/24 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    9/25 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Audio commentary featuring Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher
  19. 9/26 Do the Right Thing
  20. 9/28 Two-Lane Blacktop
  21. 9/28 Harlan County U.S.A.
  22. 9/29 Mon oncle Antoine
  23. 9/29 Der Fangschuß [Coup de grâce]
  24. 9/29 Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
  25. 9/30 City Lights
  26. 9/30 Secret Honor
  27. 9/30 Jag är nyfiken - en film i gult [I Am Curious (Yellow)]

56/59 Checklist
Spoiler:

Feature Presentation
8/8 Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
-X- 1920/1930 - My Man Godfrey (1936)
-X- 1940 - In Which We Serve (1942)
-X- 1950 - The Killing (1956)
-X- 1960 - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)
-X- 1970 - The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
-X- 1980 - Koyaanisqatsi (1983)
-X- 1990 - Crumb (1995)
-X- 2000/2010 - Gomorrah (2008)

15/16 Watch something from spine number range:
-X- 001-050 - Les Diaboliques (#35)
-X- 051-100 - The Harder They Come (#83)
-X- 101-150 - My Man Godfrey (#114)
-X- 151-200 - Der Fangschuß [Coup de grâce] (#192)
-X- 201-250 - Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman] (#238)
-X- 251-300 - Secret Honor (#257)
-X- 301-350 - Harlan County U.S.A (#334)
-X- 351-400 - Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood] (#397)
-X- 401-450 - Two-Lane Blacktop (#414)
-X- 451-500 - Gomorrah (#493)
-X- 501-550 – Crumb (#533)
-X- 551-600 - The Killing (#575)
-X- 601-650 - Copie conforme [Certified Copy] (#612)
-X- 650-700 - City Lights (#680)
-X- an Eclipse title - Hets [Torment]

5/5 Watch films in at least 5 languages.
-X- Italian, Gomorrah
-X- English, The Killing
-X- French, Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman]
-X- Swedish, Hets [Torment]
-X- German, Der Fangschuß [Coup de grâce]
-X- Russian, Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]

5/5 Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section
-X- Jean-Claude Carrière, Copie conforme [Certified Copy]
-X- David Lean, In Which We Serve
-X- Wes Anderson - Rushmore
-X- Anna Karina - Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman]
-X- Ingmar Bergman - Hets [Torment]

5/5 Watch a film from 5 different Themes on Criterion’s website
  1. America, America - Two-Lane Blacktop, Harlan County U.S.A.
  2. Blue Christmases - Mon oncle Antoine
  3. Classic Hollywood - My Man Godfrey
  4. Comedies - My Man Godfrey, Rushmore, Being John Malkovich, City Lights
  5. Cult Movies - Crumb, Koyaanisqatsi, Two-Lane Blacktop, I Am Curious (Yellow)
  6. Documentaries - Crumb, Koyaanisqatsi, Harlan County U.S.A.
  7. Dysfunctional Families - Crumb
  8. First Films - In Which We Serve, Koyaanisqatsi, Being John Malkovich, Harlan County U.S.A., Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
  9. French New Wave - Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman]
  10. Great Soundtracks - The Harder They Come, Rushmore, Koyaanisqatsi, Do the Right Thing
  11. Growing Pains - Rushmore, Mon oncle Antoine, Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
  12. Heist Movies - The Killing, The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  13. Independent American Cinema - Crumb, Harlan County U.S.A.
  14. Made During World War II - In Which We Serve
  15. New American Cinema - The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Two-Lane Blacktop
  16. New German Cinema - Der Fangschuß [Coup de grâce]
  17. New York Stories - My Man Godfrey, Do the Right Thing
  18. Noir and Neonoir - The Killing, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Les Diaboliques
  19. Novels on the Big Screen - The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  20. Oscar Winners - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Harlan County U.S.A.
  21. Originals - Les Diaboliques
  22. Road Trips - Two-Lane Blacktop
  23. Scary Movies - Les Diaboliques
  24. Silent Cinema - City Lights
  25. Suspense! - Les Diaboliques
  26. Tearjerkers - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, City Lights
  27. War Films - In Which We Serve, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]

Special Edition Features
5/5 Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here
  1. Gomorrah: Terminal Beach by Chuck Stephens
  2. The Killing by David Ehrenstein
  3. The Friends of Eddie Coyle: They Were Expendable by Kent Jones
  4. The Friends of Eddie Coyle: Excerpt from "The Last Celluloid Desperado" by Grover Lewis
  5. Certified Copy: At Home and Abroad by Godfrey Cheshire
  6. My Man Godfrey by Diane Jacobs
  7. The Harder They Come by Michael Dare
  8. Crumb Reconsidered by Jonathan Rosenbaum
  9. In Which We Serve by Bruce Eder
  10. When Noël Met David . . . by Ian Christie
  11. In Which We Serve: Battle Stations by Terrence Rafferty
  12. Rushmore by David Kehr
  13. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: True Ritt by Michael Sragow
  14. Being John Malkovich: "The Original Piece of Wood I Left in Your Head" Perkus Tooth and Spike Jonze
  15. A Woman Is a Woman by J. Hoberman
  16. Diabolique by Danny Peary
  17. 12 Angry Men by Peter Heath Becker
  18. 12 Angry Men: Lumet's Faces by Thane Rosenbaum
  19. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: The Man Who Watched the Hours Go By by Kent Jones
  20. Do the Right Thing by Roger Ebert
  21. Two-Lane Blacktop: Slow Ride by Kent Jones
  22. Harlan County U.S.A: No Neutrals There by Paul Arthur
  23. The Sound of Harlan County U.S.A. by Jon Weisberger
    Mon oncle Antoine: Of Asbestos Mines and Christmas Candy by André Loiselle
  24. Coup de grâce: Excerpted from Volker Schlöndorff’s Cinema: Adaptation, Politics, and the "Movie-Appropriate" by Hans-Bernhard Moeller and George Lellis
  25. Ivan’s Childhood: Dream Come True by Dina Iordanova
  26. Secret Honor by Michael Wilmington
  27. I Am Curious (Yellow) - Still Curious by Gary Giddins

5/5 Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews.
-X- Rushmore - The Charlie Rose Show, featuring Wes Anderson and Bill Murray (54:16)
-X- Les Diaboliques - New video introduction by Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s "Inferno" (14:50)
-X- Les Diaboliques - New video interview with novelist and film critic Kim Newman (15:47)
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop "Somewhere Near Salinas: A Conversation with Kris Kristofferson" (27:38)
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop "Make It Three Yards: A Conversation with James Taylor" (38:31)

5/5 Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers
-X- Rushmore Theatrical Trailer
-X- Gomorrah Trailer [on Criterion.com]
-X- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold Trailer [on Criterion.com]
-X- Les Diaboliques - Original theatrical trailer [on Criterion.com]
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop Trailer (2:29)

3/5 Miscellaneous
-X- Watch a film with commentary – Rushmore Audio commentary by Wes Anderson, co-writer Owen Wilson, and actor Jason Schwartzman
-X- Watch a supplemental short film – Charlotte et Véronique, ou Tous les garçons s’appellent Patrick [All the Boys Are Called Patrick]
-X- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. - Rushmore

Box Sets/Top 10 Lists Started
Spoiler:

David Lean Directs Noël Coward
--- Brief Encounter
-X- In Which We Serve
--- This Happy Breed
--- Blithe Spirit

Eclipse Series 1: Early Bergman
-X- Torment
--- Crisis
--- Port of Call
--- Thirst
--- To Joy

Mike Allred's Top 10
--- Charade
--- The Man Who Fell to Earth
--- Seven Samurai
--- Le Samouraï
---
--- Hard Boiled
--- The Killer
--- Black Narcissus
--- The Red Shoes
--- Brazil
--- Time Bandits
--- Gimme Shelter
-X- Rushmore

Allison Anders's Top 10
-X- A Woman Is a Woman
--- Charade
--- 3 Women
--- Carnival of Souls
--- Young Mr. Lincoln
-X- My Man Godfrey
--- Gimme Shelter
--- Monterey Pop
--- Dazed and Confused
--- The Red Shoes

Wes Anderson's Top 10
--- The Earrings of Madame de...
--- Au hasard Balthazar
--- Pigs and Battleships
--- The Insect Woman
--- Intentions of Murder
--- The Taking of Power by Louis XIV
-X- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
-X- The Friends of Eddie Coyle
--- Classe tous risques
--- L’enfance nue
--- Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
--- The Exterminating Angel

Miguel Arteta's Top 10
--- Juliet of the Spirits
--- The Docks of New York
--- French Cancan
--- Something Wild
--- Shock Corridor
--- Dodes’ka-den
--- Magnificent Obsession
--- Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
--- Breathless
-X- Do the Right Thing
--- Trouble in Paradise

Michael Atkinson's Top 10
--- The Passion of Joan of Arc
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop
--- Pierrot le fou
--- Late Spring
--- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
--- Dead Ringers
--- My Own Private Idaho
--- Taste of Cherry
--- The Rules of the Game
--- À nous la liberté

Alec Baldwin's Top 10
--- Z
--- Sweet Smell of Success
--- Sid & Nancy
--- The Royal Tenenbaums
--- Paths of Glory
--- High and Low
--- Gimme Shelter
--- Oliver Twist
-X- Do the Right Thing
--- Hunger

Anthony Bourdain's Top 10
--- Eyes Without a Face
--- The Battle of Algiers
--- Chungking Express
--- Kiss Me Deadly
--- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
--- Withnail and I
--- Army of Shadows
--- House of Games
--- Sullivan's Travels

Susie Bright's Top 10
-X- 12 Angry Men
--- Beauty and the Beast
--- Je tu il elle
-X- Harlan County USA
-X- The Harder They Come
-X- Mon oncle Antoine
--- Pickup on South Street
--- Scenes from a Marriage
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop

Diablo Cody's Top 10
-X- Do the Right Thing
--- Written on the Wind
--- Schizopolis
--- Sid & Nancy
--- Gimme Shelter
--- Grey Gardens
--- The Blob
--- Pandora's Box
--- Dazed and Confused
--- The Royal Tenenbaums

Matt Dentler's Top 10
-X- Do the Right Thing
--- Grey Gardens
--- High and Low
--- Hoop and Dreams
-X- Rushmore
--- Shadows
--- Tokyo Story
--- Wild Strawberries
--- Slacker

Donald Fagen's Top 10
---
-X- My Man Godfrey
--- Billy Liar
--- Fanny and Alexander — The Theatrical Version
--- Day of Wrath
--- On the Waterfront
--- The Third Man
--- Topsy-Turvy
--- Withnail and I

Paul Feig's Top 10
---
--- Harold and Maude
--- Loves of a Blonde
--- Mafioso
--- Naked
--- Nights of Cabiria
--- Ran
-X- Koyaanisqatsi
--- Stranger Than Paradise
--- This Is Spinal Tap

Dave Filipi's Top 10
--- Army of Shadows
--- Au hasard Balthazar
--- Dazed and Confused
--- Fiend Without a Face
--- The Flowers of St. Francis
-X- Ivan's Childhood
--- La Jetée
--- Mon oncle
--- Robinson Crusoe on Mars
--- The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Flying Lotus's Top 10
-X- Being John Malkovich
--- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
-X- Do the Right Thing
--- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
---
--- The Seventh Seal
--- Man Bites Dog
--- Brazil
--- By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume One
--- Beastie Boys Video Anthology

James Franco's Top 10
--- The Spirit of the Beehive
--- Murmur of the Heart
--- Lacombe, Lucien
--- My Own Private Idaho
--- Mala Noche
--- A Woman Under the Influence
--- Opening Night
--- Salesman
--- Gimme Shelter
--- L'eclisse
--- L'avventura
--- Il Posto
--- 3 Women
-X- Secret Honor

William Friedkin's Top 10
--- The Night of the Hunter
--- Night and Fog
--- Last Year at Marienbad
-X- Diabolique
--- Ordet
--- The Red Shoes
--- Paths of Glory
--- Le Samouraï
--- Vengeance Is Mine
--- Belle de jour

Robert Ben Garant and Tom Lennon's Top 10
--- My Life as a Dog
--- Brazil
--- The Ice Storm
--- Bicycle Thieves
--- This Is Spinal Tap
--- Hard Boiled
--- Hopscotch
-X- Crumb
--- Stagecoach
--- Sullivan's Travels

Georgia Hubley's Top 10
--- Peeping Tom
--- The Wages of Fear
--- Pickup on South Street
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop
--- Au hasard Balthazar
--- The Silence of the Lambs
--- Billy Liar
--- White Dog

Ricky Jay's Top 10
--- The 39 Steps
--- Children of Paradise
--- F for Fake
--- Seven Samurai
--- The Lady Eve
-X- Secret Honor
--- Oliver Twist
--- Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto
--- I Know Where I'm Going!
--- Night and City

Chuck Klosterman's Top 10
--- Slacker
--- This Is Spinal Tap
--- F for Fake
--- Hoop Dreams
--- Kicking and Screaming
--- House of Games
--- Gimme Shelter
-X- Being John Malkovich
--- The Last Days of Disco
-X- Rushmore

Brie Larson's Top 10
-X- A Woman Is a Woman
--- The Game
--- Opening Night
--- Metropolitan
-X- I Am Curious - Yellow
--- Naked
--- Red Desert
--- The Third Man

Dennis LeHane's Top 10
--- Mona Lisa
--- Picnic at Hanging Rock
--- The Lady Eve
--- Insomnia
--- Night and the City
--- M
--- The Wages of Fear
--- Do the Right Thing
-X- Rushmore
--- The Royal Tenenbaums

Joe Mantegna's Top 10
--- Brute Force
--- The Naked Prey
--- The Golden Age of Television
--- The Ruling Class
--- Spartacus
--- Rififi
--- The Last Emperor
--- House of Games

Dominic Monaghan's Top 10
--- Hoop Dreams
--- Sid & Nancy
--- La haine
--- Kes
-X- Crumb
--- Amarcord
--- Billy Liar
--- Night on Earth
--- Withnail and I
--- Monty Python's Life of Brian

Christopher Nolan's Top 10
--- The Hit
-X- 12 Angry Men
--- The Thin Red Line
--- The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
--- Bad Timing
--- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
--- For All Mankind
-X- Koyaanisqatsi
--- The Complete Mr. Arkadin
--- Greed

Frank Roddam's Top 10
--- The 400 Blows
--- Bicycle Thieves
-X- The Killing
--- Seduced and Abandoned
--- Seven Samurai
--- Sweet Smell of Success
--- The Third Man
--- The Wages of Fear
--- Wings of Desire

Whit Stillman's Top 10
--- The 400 Blows
--- The Lady Vanishes
-X- The Harder They Come
--- The Seventh Seal
--- The Lady Eve
--- Big Deal on Madonna Street
-X- My Man Godfrey
--- Black Orpheus
--- Notorious
--- Children of Paradise

Nicholas Stoller's Top 10
--- Alphaville
-X- Rushmore
--- Broadcast News
--- Time Bandits
--- Monty Python's Life of Brian
--- The Ice Storm
--- Amarcord
--- Paths of Glory
-X- Being John Malkovich
--- This Is Spinal Tap

Joe Swanberg's Top 10
--- Hoop Dreams
--- By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volume One
--- The Red Shoes
--- Gimme Shelter
-X- The Harder They Come
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop
--- Straw Dogs
--- À nos amours
--- The Double Life of Véronique
--- Fishing with John

John Taylor's Top 10
--- Gimme Shelter
--- Monterey Pop
--- The 39 Steps
--- Brazil
--- The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
--- Smiles of a Summer Night
-X- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
--- Wings of Desires
--- The Silence of the Lambs
--- Short Cuts

Andrew Weil's Top 10
--- Beauty and the Beast
--- Brazil
-X- Crumb
--- House of Games
--- Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
--- Nights of Cabiria
--- Paths of Glory
--- Rashomon
--- This Is Spinal Tap
--- The Wages of Fear

Edgar Wright's Top 10
--- Blow Out
--- Brazil
--- Eyes Without a Face
--- Head
--- Peeping Tom
-X- Rushmore
--- Le Samouraï
--- This Is Spinal Tap
--- Walkabout
-X- Two-Lane Blacktop

Adam Yauch's Top 10
--- Seven Samurai
--- Walkabout
--- Nights of Cabiria
--- Yojimbo
--- Sanjuro
-X- Rushmore
--- And God Created Woman
-X- The Harder They Come
--- Rashomon
--- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Looking Back
Spoiler:
Looking Back

I set out with a few objectives. One was to watch the five discs in my library that were eligible for this challenge but that I had not yet logged in my DVD Profiler. On that score, I went 3-2. Another goal was to make use of a free trial of Amazon Prime to stream the movies they had that aren't in The Criterion Collection on HuluPlus. I was successful there, watching all eight that I found in my audit. I intended to write several pieces for Flickchart. I turned in two, though what held up writing a third is that I didn't get to the supplemental content on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. My last goal was to complete the checklist. I ended the challenge at 56/59 checkmarks.

Revisitations
I went back to four films during this year's challenge that I had previously seen, three of them because they were discs in my library I hadn't logged in DVD Profiler. Of those three, two were films I had seen during their original theatrical runs but not since: Being John Malkovich and Rushmore. Now, as then, I enjoyed the former and wasn't in love with the latter. The others were the adaptation of John le Carré's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and 12 Angry Men, which my friend hadn't seen. It's a masterpiece that wows me every time.

The 70s
For whatever reason, I've done very little exploration of film of the 1970's over the years. I didn't consciously set out to focus on that decade during this challenge, but I watched more films from that decade (six) than any other. Each decade feels distinct, but it wasn't until this challenge that I finally got a sense of the 70's. Commentary on social issues is more muted than films of the 60's, or even of the 90's. There are more shades of gray, and it's more apparent to me now that filmmakers hadn't abandoned the civil rights movements of the 60's; they were, in their own way, trying to portray a more sophisticated look at the world in hopes of engaging cynical audiences.

I look at the casual criminals of The Friends of Eddie Coyle, for instance, or the business-as-usual corruption in The Harder They Come. Mon oncle Antoine was very much a "zeitgeist" film for Quebecoise audiences in 1971, tapping into themes of identity that were meant to be read in a specific context, but which are accessible even without it. There is an unasked, and unanswered, question at the end of that film that I think exists in all the 70's movies I watched: "Where do we take it from here?"

Class
In previous years, my selections have skewed more toward intimate, personal relationship stories but this year, the most dominant theme was easily one of class. It started with my first movie, Gomorrah, and ran all the way through the last, I Am Curious (Yellow), the latter film explicitly discussing the nature of class in Sweden. The contexts and objectives were as different as their settings, but the universal theme was that people are divided by class. I didn't deliberately set out to watch any of these films for the purpose of exploring that theme, but it emerged all the same.

In some films, class differences were played for laughs (City Lights, My Man Godfrey). In others, it was intrinsically linked to race (12 Angry Men, Do the Right Thing). There were films about class in different countries (The Harder They Come, Mon oncle Antoine, I Am Curious (Yellow). I saw class at war (In Which We Serve), in school (Rushmore), and in real life (Crumb, Harlan County U.S.A.).

What was most striking was how identifiable most of those films still are. Even something as benign and privileged as My Man Godfrey still plays as something of a poor man's daydream. Not just because Godfrey winds up showing up the pompous rich family, but because he gets the satisfaction of telling them off. Finding out in the end that he had been born with a silver spoon and had just walked away from it all in a fit of self-pity detracts from our identification with him, but even if he's not *really* one of us, we feel like he understands us.

My List, Ranked by End-of-Challenge Position on My Flickchart
(Rank is out of 1584 movies.)

0015 12 Angry Men
0019 Copie conforme [Certified Copy]
0087 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
0236 Do the Right Thing
0237 Harlan County U.S.A.
0247 Une femme est une femme [A Woman Is a Woman]
0257 In Which We Serve
0290 Two-Lane Blacktop
0293 Les diaboliques [Diabolique]
0314 Being John Malkovich
0347 The Friends of Eddie Coyle
0402 Gomorrah
0414 Mon oncle Antoine [My Uncle Antoine]
0480 Jag är nyfiken - en film i gult [I Am Curious (Yellow)]
0504 The Killing
0612 Crumb
0621 Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
0633 Der Fangschuß [Coup de grâce]
0648 Hets [Torment]
0678 City Lights
0701 The Harder They Come
0794 Secret Honor
0834 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
0955 Rushmore
1140 Charlotte et Véronique, ou Tous les garçons s’appellent Patrick [All the Boys Are Called Patrick]
1338 Koyaanisqatsi
1463 My Man Godfrey

Previous Years| 2010 | 2010 on Letterboxd | 2010 on Criterion | 2011 | 2011 on Letterboxd | 2011 on Criterion | 2012 | 2012 on Criterion | 2012 on Letterboxd
Criterion.com | My Criterion | @Criterion on Twitter | Criterion on Facebook | Criterion on Tumblr | Travis McClain's Criterion for Noobs
Flickchart | The Best Criterion Collection Movies | The Best Criterion Collection on Hulu Movies | The Best Criterion Eclipse Movies | Criterion Commentaries
iCheckMovies The Criterion Collection | Criterion's Eclipse Collection
Wikipedia - List of Criterion Collection Laserdisc Releases | The Criterion Collection on LaserDisc, on Letterboxd | Box Sets and Top 10 Lists
Discussion Thread

DVD: 8 films, 1 commentary, 5 essays | Blu-ray Disc: 1 film, 1 commentary | Netflix Watch Instantly: 1 film | Theatrical Exhibition: 0 | TV Broadcast: 0 | iTunes Digital Download: 0 | Podcast/Streaming: 8 films | HuluPlus: 6 films, 1 short film, 23 essays
SF = short film

Total: 22 films, 2 commentaries, 1 short film, 28 essays

Last edited by Travis McClain; 10-03-13 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added Looking Back
Old 08-25-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Reserved...
Old 08-25-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

* = First time viewing
August 31
  1. 12 Angry Men - The Criterion Collection (1957) - Spine #591 - Unwrapped it just for the challenge. Shared it with my 14 year old daughter who enjoyed it immensely. It goes to show you don't need elaborate sets and locations to make a great film. OWNED
  2. * I Married a Witch (1942) HULU

September 1
  3. * Picnic At Hanging Rock - The Criterion Collection (1975) - Spine #29 - Recommended by my film professor/mentor, who is teaching a course on Australian film. It focuses mostly on Peter Weir, who he wrote a book about and met last year. When he found out I never saw this Weir classic, he started to show me pics he took at Hanging Rock and said I HAD TO watch it. LIBRARY
  4. * The War Room - The Criterion Collection (1993) - Spine #602 LIBRARY
  5. * Pina - The Criterion Collection (2011) - Spine #644 - A bit too abstract for me. LIBRARY

September 2
  6. * Tokyo Chorus - Eclipse Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies (1931) LIBRARY
  7. * Slacker - The Criterion Collection (1991) - Spine #247 - I've been wanting to see this movie that inspired Kevin Smith to start making movies. LIBRARY
  8. The Lady Vanishes - The Criterion Collection (1938) - Spine #4 LIBRARY
  9. * The Man Who Knew Too Much - The Criterion Collection (1934) - Spine #643 LIBRARY
  10. Do the Right Thing - The Criterion Collection (1989) - Spine #97 - Introduced my 16 year old son to this modern classic. More importantly, we discussed it afterwards. OWNED
  11. * Foreign Correspondent (1940) HULU

September 3
  12. M - The Criterion Collection (1931) FILM CLASS

September 4
  13. * Revanche - The Criterion Collection (2008) - Spine #502 LIBRARY

September 7
  14. * Dazed and Confused - The Criterion Collection (2008) - Spine #336 LIBRARY
  15. Lord of the Flies - The Criterion Collection (1963) - Spine #43 LIBRARY
  16. * Badlands - The Criterion Collection (1973) - Spine #651 LIBRARY
  17. * The Thin Red Line - The Criterion Collection (1998) - Spine #536 LIBRARY

September 10
  18. Annie Hall (1977) FILM CLASS

September 11
  19. * Charulata - The Criterion Collection (1964) - Spine #669 LIBRARY

September 12
  20. * Vivre sa vie - The Criterion Collection (1962) - Spine #512 LIBRARY

September 13
  21. * Ministry of Fear - The Criterion Collection (1944) - Spine #649 LIBRARY

September 14
  22. M - The Criterion Collection (1931) - Spine #591 Audio commentary LIBRARY
  23. * Easy Rider - America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (1969) - Spine #545 LIBRARY
  24. * Chungking Express - The Criterion Collection (1994) - Spine #453 LIBRARY
  25. * Vanya on 42nd Street - The Criterion Collection (1994) - Spine #599 LIBRARY

September 16
  26. * La Jetée//Sans Soleil - The Criterion Collection - Spine #387 LIBRARY

September 18
  27. * Vampyr - The Criterion Collection (1932) - Spine #437 LIBRARY
  28. * The Milky Way - The Criterion Collection (1969) - Spine #402 LIBRARY

September 19
  29. Hoop Dreams (1994) - Spine #289 HULU

September 20
  30. * The 400 Blows - The Criterion Collection - Spine #5 LIBRARY

September 21
  31. The Royal Tenenbaums - The Criterion Collection (2001) - Spine #157 OWNED
  32. * Wild Strawberries - The Criterion Collection (1957) - Spine #139 LIBRARY
  33. * Shadows (1959) HULU

September 22
  34. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - The Criterion Collection (2008) - Spine #476 - Unwrapped for Family Movie Night. Looks kind of soft but worth the $5 I paid for it. OWNED

September 26
  35. * Grey Gardens - The Criterion Collection (1976) - Spine #123 LIBRARY

September 27
  36. * Sanshiro Sugata - Eclipse Series 23: The First Films of Akira Kurosawa (1943) LIBRARY

September 28
  37. * The Rules of the Game - The Criterion Collection (1939) - Spine #216 - I really enjoyed Renoir's intro to the film. It explained so much. LIBRARY
  38. * High and Low - The Criterion Collection (1963) - Spine #24 LIBRARY

September 30
  39. * Tokyo Story - The Criterion Collection (1953) - Spine #217 LIBRARY

Optional Checklist
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
-x- 1920/1930 - The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
-x- 1940 - I Married a Witch (1942)
-x- 1950 - Shadows (1959)
-x- 1960 - Easy Rider (1969)
-x- 1970 - Annie Hall (1977)
-x- 1980 - Do the Right Thing (1989)
-x- 1990 - The Thin Red Line (1998)
-x- 2000/2010 - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

-x- 001-050 - The Lady Vanishes [Spine# 4]
-x- 051-100 - Picnic at Hanging Rock [Spine# 92]
-x- 101-150 - Grey Gardens [Spine# 123]
-x- 151-200 - The Royal Tenenbaums [Spine# 157]
-x- 201-250 - Slacker [Spine# 247]
-x- 251-300 - Hoop Dreams [Spine# 289]
-x- 301-350 - Dazed and Confused [Spine# 336]
-x- 351-400 - La Jetée/Sans Soleil [Spine# 387]
-x- 401-450 - Vampyr [Spine# 437]
-X- 451-500 - Chungking Express [Spine# 453]
-x- 501-550 – Revanche [Spine# 502]
-x- 551-600 - 12 Angry Men [Spine# 591]
-x- 601-650 - The Man Who Knew Too Much [Spine# 643]
-x- 650-700 - Badlands [Spine# 651]
-x- an Eclipse title - Sanshiro Sugata
-x- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion - Foreign Correspondent

-x- First language, German, Pina
-x- Second language, Bengali, Charulata
-x- Third language, French, Vivre sa vie
-x- Fourth language, Cantonese, Chungking Express
-x- Fifth language, Swedish, Wild Strawberries

-x- Anna Karina, Vivre sa vie
-x- Louis Malle, Vanya on 42nd Street
-x- Luis Buñuel, The Milky Way
-x- François Truffaut, The 400 Blows
-x- Jean Renoir, The Rules of the Game

-x- New York Stories, 12 Angry Men
-x- Documentaries, The War Room
-x- Growing Pains, Lord of the Flies
-x- Novels on the Big Screen, The Thin Red Line
-x- Noir and Neonoir, Ministry of Fear

Special Edition Features
-x- Tough Love, Belle de jour
-x- From the Current, And God Created Woman
-x- From the Current, Peeping Tom
-x- Eternal Times Square, Shadows
-x- Between Heaven and Hell, High and Low

-x- The Illustrated Hitchcock, The Man Who Knew Too Much
-x- Ian Christie, The Milky Way
-x- Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, and Danny Glover, The Royal Tenenbaums
-x- Ingmar Bergman on Life and Work, Wild Strawberries
-x- Tsutomu Yamazaki, High and Low

-x- Revanche
-x- Dazed and Confused
-x- Charalata
-x- And God Created Woman
-x- L'Avventura

-x- Watch a film with commentary – M
-x- Watch a supplemental short film – The Peter Bradley Show, The Royal Tenenbaums
Matt Dentler's Top 10
-x- Do the Right Thing
-x- Grey Gardens
-x- High and Low
-x- Hoop Dreams
--- Rushmore
-x- Shadows
-x- Tokyo Story
-x- Wild Strawberries
-x- Slacker
-x- The Rules of the Game
-x- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack - The Royal Tenenbaums

Last edited by popcorn; 10-01-13 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Murder à la Mod (1968) * 80 min.
2. Naughty Nurse (1969) * 9 min.
3. Forbidden Planet (1956) 98 min.
4. Wild 90 (1968) * 81 min.
5. Beyond the Law (1968) * 98 min.
6. Rupture (1961) * 11 min.
7. Happy Anniversary (1962) * 12 min.
8. The Suitor (1962) * 83 min.
9. Rock'y VI (1986) * 9 min.
10. Doodlebug (1997) * 3 min.
11. Shadows in Paradise (1986) 74 min.
12. The Philco Television Playhouse: Marty (1953) 51 min.
13. Medium Cool (1969) * 110 min.
14. Thru the Wire (1987) * 6 min.
15. L.A. Woman (1988) * 5 min.
16. Five-Minute Films: Probation (1975) * 5 min.
17. Five-Minute Films: The Birth of the Goalie of the 2001 F.A. Cup Final (1975) * 6 min.
18. Five-Minute Films: Old Chums (1975) * 6 min.
19. Five-Minute Films: A Light Snack (1975) * 5 min.
20. Five-Minute Films: Afternoon (1975) * 6 min.
21. Pressure (2006) * 4 min.
22. Open the Door (2007) * 5 min.
23. The Short & Curlies (1988) * 17 min.
24. Life Is Sweet (1990) * 103 min.
25. Hooker on Campus (2007) * 4 min.
26. The Fountain (2007) * 6 min.
27. Creative Nonfiction (2009) * 58 min.
28. Naked (1993) * 131 min.
29. Yoyo (1965) * 96 min.
30. Tiny Furniture (2010) * 99 min.
31. Small Deaths (1996) * 11 min.
32. Kill the Day (1996) * 19 min.
33. Gasman (1998) * 15 min.
34. Ratcatcher (1999) * 93 min.
35. A Sense of History (1992) * 26 min.
36. Blood Wedding (1981) * 71 min.
37. Medium Cool Revisited (2013) * 33 min.
38. M. le Maudit (1982) * 11 min.
39. Ariel (1988) 72 min.
40. Maidstone (1970) * 105 min.

*First time viewing.

Stats:

Spoiler:
1950s 2 1960s 9 1970s 6 1980s 8 1990s 8 2000s 5 2010s 2

US 15 France 5 Finland 5 UK 14 Spain 1

First time viewings 36/40

Last edited by ororama; 09-30-13 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Undeadcow Subjects Himself to Actually Watching The Pretentious Crap He Bought Challenge 2013
...even though some of it is Netflix Streaming...

September 2
1. Pina [Netflix Streaming] - people artistically dancing everywhere.

September 9
2. Bottle Rocket [Netflix Streaming] - people gloriously botching crime.

September 13
3. 12 Angry Room [Blu-Ray] - people arguing in a room.

September 20
4. Black Orpheus [Blu-Ray] - more people dancing to parade music

September 28
5. Dead Ringers [DVD] - I don't know what is going on anymore.

September 30
6. Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell [DVD]

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-30-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-28-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot (1953) - I thought it appropriate to start a Criterion challenge that begins on Labor Day weekend with M. Hulot's Holiday. A leisurely paced physical comedy that relies more on awkwardness than outrageousness. There's no real overall story; it's more like a collection of quirky vignettes.

2. M (1931)

3. Mon Oncle (1958)

4. The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Last edited by RKillgore; 09-14-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 05:01 PM

*First Time Viewing

August 31: Rashomon*-7/10
September 1: Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou*-7.5/10
September 2: Safety Last*-9.5/10
Salo*-7/10
September 3: The Killer*-9.5/10
September 4: Blow Out*_7/10
September 8: To Be Or Not To Be*-9/10

Checklist:
Spoiler:

Feature Presentation
--- 1920/1930 - Safety Last
--- 1940 - To Be Or Not To Be
--- 1950 - Rashomon
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 - Salo
--- 1980 - The Killer
--- 1990 -
--- 2000/2010 -

--- 001-050 - Salo
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 - Rashomon
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
--- 551-600 -Blow Out
--- 601-650 -
--- 650-700 -Safety Last
--- an Eclipse title -

--- Japanese, Rashomon
--- English, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
--- Italian, Salo
--- Cantonese, The Killer

--- Akira Kurosawa, Rashomon
--- Wes Anderson, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
--- Pier Paolo Pasolini, Salo

--- Comedy-Safety Last!
--- Cut!-Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
--- Cult Movies-Salo
--- Suspense-Blow Out

Special Edition Features
--- First Essay title, (title of film)
--- Second Essay title, (title of film)

--- Noah Baumbach, Kicking and Screaming

--- Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
--- Second Trailer Title
--- Third Trailer Title
--- Fourth Trailer Title
--- Fifth Trailer Title

--- Watch a film with commentary – Safety Last

Last edited by tschneck; 09-08-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

September 1st
1. I Am Waiting (1957)

September 2nd
2. Weekend (1967)

September 3rd
3. Ministry of Fear (1944)*

September 4th
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)*

September 5th
5. Monsieur Verdoux (1947)*

September 6th
6. Branded to Kill (1967)

September 7th
7. The Rules of the Game (1939)
8. Tokyo Drifter (1966)

September 8th
9. Gate of Hell (1953)*

September 9th
10. A Man Escaped (1956)*

September 10th
11. The Seventh Seal (1957)
a. Peter Cowie commentary
b. Ingmar Bergman introduction
c. Bergman Island
d. Audio interview with Max von Sydow
e. Tribute by Woody Allen
f. Bergman 101
g. Theatrical trailer

September 11th
12. Richard III (1955)*
a. Commentary with Russell Lees and John Wilders

September 12th
13. Pandora's Box (1929)

September 13th
14. Army of Shadows (1969)
a. Commentary with Ginette Vincendeau

September 14th
15. Day of Wrath (1943)*
16. The Most Dangerous Game (1932)
a. Commentary with Bruce Eder

September 15th
17. Beauty and the Beast (1946)

September 16th
18. Seven Samurai (1954)

September 17th
19. Rashomon (1950)

September 18th
20. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)*

September 19th
21. Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)*

September 20th
22. Akira (1988)

September 21st
23. Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)*
a. Video interviews with Pierre Billard and Candice Bergen
b. Joseph: A Character Study
c. The Immigrant
d. Audio excerpts from 1988 AFI interview with Louis Malle

September 22nd
24. The Third Man (1949)
a. Commentary with Dana Polan
b. Shadowing "The Third Man"
c. "Graham Greene: The Hunted Man"
d. Who Was the Third Man?

September 23rd
25. The Baron of Arizona (1950)*

September 24th
26. Safety Last (1923)*

September 25th
27. The Cranes Are Flying (1957)*
28. Ballad of a Soldier (1959)*

September 26th
29. Boudu Saved from Drowning (1932)*
30. The Lower Depths (1936)*

September 27th
31. Sanshiro Sugata (1943)*
32. The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail (1945)*

September 28th
33. Crisis (1946)*
34. Black Lizard (1962)*

September 29th
35. Intimidation (1960)*

Last edited by Cronenbergfan71; 09-29-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-30-13, 06:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Set

Edit to add: Shame on indiephantom for not taking the bait!

House - In a horror mood, but forgot how bizarre this was. It's like a Scooby-Doo episode on acid.

Bigger Than Life - Nice film, sappy ending though. Sadly, some parallels in my life right now.

Emotion

Cronos

Rosemary's Baby

The Living Skeleton

Last edited by Trevor; 10-01-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

'09 list
'10 list
'11 list
'12 list

9/22/13

Osaka Elegy (1936)

9/30/13

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - Spine #300
Carrie (1976)
Sisters (1973) - Spine #89

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-30-13 at 11:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.