TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 624 Posts
Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy

Anyone watching this?

I've never done cosplay, but I like seeing what other people come up with. And even though a lot of the characters portrayed are unfamiliar to me, it's always cool when you do recognize something and it's done really well.

They're following a good mix of different people on the show so far. I'm glad the most recent (second episode) introduced a couple of new cosplayers. The 'drama' feels largely manufactured, but Yaya seems like she's naturally a pretty blunt person, so her commentary appears to be genuine.

Regarding the competitors:

- the two D&D chicks in the first episode were pretty good and had a kind of 'odd couple' chemistry. I hope we see more of them.

- the girl with the Asian boyfriend is annoying. She goes partying the night before the contest even though her costume needs a lot of work? And then the boyfriend does most of the work on the second one...

- the mustached dude seems all right, and he appears to really put a lot of effort into his costumes. I like him best so far.

- the young chick in the second ep was very annoying, and I agree completely with the judges' criticism. She comes out on stage in this sexy costume and then just stands there and kind of sulks. She really needed to play the part if she was going to dress like that. But, hey, camel toe!

- the 'Brave' girl from ep 1 had a good costume and she played the part well. That makes a big difference.

- the rookie in the second ep (I think she's dating Chris Hardwick?) was cute and had a good attitude. Her costume wasn't spectacular, but it was a good character choice

- Hellgirl was pretty cool, looks like she's got some skill.

Yaya's costumes are always great, but like she reminds us every 10 minutes, she's got to keep impressing people because she does this for a living. As long as she keeps showing off her ample cleavage every week, I endorse her career decision!

Old 08-22-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy

I dunno if the episode I saw was the second or third (it featured a blogger cosplaying as the girl from Beetlejuice) but what I saw was decent. Dunno if I'll stick it through for the whole season since they mostly gloss over the creation of the actual costumes. Also, about the only person I find interesting is the Steampunk Star Wars guy. A friend of mine (a huge Star Wars fan) had shown me some of his work before so I was really happy to see him on the show. The blogger chick is okay too but, given she's a novice, her costume wasn't all that interesting (although well made).
Old 08-22-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Holly and Jessica were in Comic-Con Episode IV - A Fan's Hope.

A little irritating to hear Yaya's comments about Monika about being too sexy and dressing sexy when most her costumes, she's busting out of. I think she is jealous that her little protege is going to others for advice rather than her. I understand she took her under her wing and all but c'mon ...

Victoria is annoying in that she tries to do stuff last minute and on top of that, goes out drinking the night before and usually has a hangover. Great party girl though!

Mustache dude keeps getting shafted for some reason. He puts in a lot of craftsmanship and the judges seem to overlook that.

Chloe had fun with her costume and that really mattered. Simple but most would know it was Lydia and 'snadworm' Beetlejuice.

So far I am enjoying this show more than Face/Off
Old 08-22-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
they mostly gloss over the creation of the actual costumes.
Yeah, that's my main criticism so far. I wish they'd show more of the design and fabrication of the costumes and less "OMG, I've only got 1 night to finish my costume! Wanna go dancing?"
Old 08-22-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think I'd care for this. I just watched for some t&a but got into the competition portion at the end. I thought the steampunk storm trooper guy should have been one of the top 3. Especially over that shogun warrior guy.
Old 08-22-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya Ya makes a lot of her money off her tits and ass. For her to come out to another girl and tell her not to do that is incredibly hypocritical. I mean all you have to do is go to her website and look at the photos she has for sale. They aren't her wearing full dresses like she had on this week. Hell, a couple of them are just her in a bikini. But as long as she's "not competing" anymore...

I did think the new girl who dressed up as the chick from Beetlejuice made a good point in that cosplay should be about having fun. But there's just too much money involved now for that. Though you really have to wonder with how much some of these people are spending if they're really making much of a living off of it.

The Steamtrooper looked pretty badass. I now want to see a Steam Vader. Oh wait, I found one:

Old 08-23-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I shoot a lot of cosplay at conventions over the years, so I have a lot of cosplay "friends" on facebook, so every Tuesday, it's a total moan-fest over how Syfy is editing for so much drama, and not showcasing the cosplay comraderie amongst cosplayers, and that the contest aren't really that big part of the cosplay subculture.
Old 08-23-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I had been waiting for someone to make this thread. So far I've been mightily entertained for a reality show.

Of course it has to focus on drama and conflict, showing cosplay as a bunch of friends hanging out would get boring very quickly. It's definitely one of the better-produced reality shows I've seen lately.

The best costume I've seen so far was Galactus. The guy even built a miniature Silver Surfer as his herald. I thought the Tron Legacy costume with lights should have won the second contest. I have no idea what the judges were thinking with their choices.

My takeaway from the show? Hot, nerdy girls like to dress up in exotic costumes.
Old 08-23-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's TV show so of course they will edit it for the 'entertainment' value.
I could see how it upsets them though seeing that there might be some who catch the show to wonder what it's all about and not know much if anything at all about Cosplay.
The contests are there for fun to showcase but for some, it's there to feel entitled and nothing more. They make it not fun.
Old 08-23-13, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
I shoot a lot of cosplay at conventions over the years, so I have a lot of cosplay "friends" on facebook, so every Tuesday, it's a total moan-fest over how Syfy is editing for so much drama, and not showcasing the cosplay comraderie amongst cosplayers, and that the contest aren't really that big part of the cosplay subculture.
Not to mention the statements on the last episode about Jessica Nigri, saying she's too sexual and essentially calling her a slut.

Here in Arizona, Jessica's hometown, the cosplayers are NOT happy. It's a very tight knit community here and Jessica is beloved by the cosplayers and the fans.

Yaya better not be planning on coming to any of the comic conventions here anytime soon.
Old 08-23-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I met Jessica at a con here in June, and she was very friendly and sweet. She even recorded a video for a friend of mine who is stationed in Afghanistan, and is huge fan of hers. Haters gonna hate.
Old 08-24-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy this show. It is super blatant in the fabricated drama, but I do enjoy seeing what the people come up with.

One thing that bothered me is why the one girl just didn't use her Lulu costume at the next show if she didn't get it finished in time? I would have liked to see how it would have looked when finished.
Old 08-24-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That bugged me too! I'm guessing for story purposes the TV show producers want to show different costumes every week, so maybe they told her to come up with something new, even though we didn't really get to see Lulu the first time.
Old 08-24-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe in colloquial terms they would describe Victoria as a hot mess. Jinyo must have the patience of a saint. She still makes a great Jean Grey in costume.
Old 08-27-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Episode 3 airs tonight.
Old 08-27-13, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by VHS?
Holly and Jessica were in Comic-Con Episode IV - A Fan's Hope.

A little irritating to hear Yaya's comments about Monika about being too sexy and dressing sexy when most her costumes, she's busting out of. I think she is jealous that her little protege is going to others for advice rather than her. I understand she took her under her wing and all but c'mon ...

Victoria is annoying in that she tries to do stuff last minute and on top of that, goes out drinking the night before and usually has a hangover. Great party girl though!

Mustache dude keeps getting shafted for some reason. He puts in a lot of craftsmanship and the judges seem to overlook that.

Chloe had fun with her costume and that really mattered. Simple but most would know it was Lydia and 'snadworm' Beetlejuice.

So far I am enjoying this show more than Face/Off

I'm enjoying the show! Gotta save my favorites are the two friends and Lydia. I have to agree about Victoria. She doesn't even do half of the costume herself and then whines like a little brat when her boyfriend can't achieve what she wants. Not a huge fan of Yaya either, but I can see where she was coming from with the kid. The girl she is going to now is only doing it for the money and so she can show off her fake boobs. Monica has potential and Yaya doesn't want her to stray off the path, but Yaya shouldn't have stated it in such a hypocritical manner.
Old 08-27-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did not really like tonight's episode. Most everyone was real boring and the group from last week were relegated to minor cameos, except for the girl who did the Hellgirl costume. I liked her Rocketeer costume. Sure it relied on cheesecake but it was also very well done, except for the shitty rocket pack. I had to laugh every time she'd gush over that since it was the single worst aspect of her costume and the only thing that looked incredibly cheap and rushed, despite the effort they apparently put on it.

I get that Yaya has a great rack and that's why she's on the show but I could do with less of her as she comes across as obnoxious. And on the subject of obnoxious, most everyone got on my nerves tonight. Particularly the husbands/boyfriends. I get that it's usual reality TV artificial drama BS but it was very irritating.

It was nice they focused more on the costume creation this time around but it still felt glossed over. I'd rather see more of the costumes and props being built and less of the cheesy whining.
Old 08-27-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I met Jessica at a con here in June, and she was very friendly and sweet. She even recorded a video for a friend of mine who is stationed in Afghanistan, and is huge fan of hers. Haters gonna hate.
That's pretty cool of her to have done that, I respect that. That's a cool story. I always have to respect when someone goes out of the way and does something charitable for another person. Obviously she isn't giving away money or something, but she took time out of her life to do something for someone else that she wasn't obligated to do. Props to her.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
My takeaway from the show? Hot, nerdy girls like to dress up in exotic costumes.
There didnt used to be any "hot nerd girls," all needs were overweight Star Trek fans who lived on their parents' basements and posted on the nascent Internet. My how the times have changed. What's I miss?

I don't know, there's a furry con that happens at the hotel right next to the retail store when I work, and I can't help but find it, and display in general a bit disconcerting. I respect that anyone is a big enough fan of anything to take the time to make costumes and such, I suppose, but I myself long ago decided I'd treat fiction as fiction and not become too obsessive about it. Barring the SE Star Wars mess, I usually just shrug, say a bad movie is a bad movie, and move on. TV shows and books and movies and such are fun while they last, but I've never felt the need to become immersed on a fictional world to such an obsessive degree. I hate reality and I'm not thrilled about my life sometimes, God knows, but still, real life is the only place I have to live. But to each his own, I suppose if that level of fandom makes people happy, go for it, I guess, I'm not in a position to judge anybody, it's pretty innocuous.
Old 08-28-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I did not really like tonight's episode.
I felt the opposite. I liked this episode much more than last week's. No Victoria helped a lot, and the return of Holly and Jessica (?, the two friends) as well as Becky helped, too. I liked all of the costumes of our Heroes, and several of the other ones shown in the competition were great.

And I don't mind Yaya (cuz of the boobs), but it also helped that there was less of her in this episode and more focus on the contestants and their costumes.

I felt bad for Becky's roommate/helper because of the whole car fiasco. I wonder if that missing piece just didn't get packed, or if it got lost along the way.

Tank Girl and Lady Rocketeer were both great costumes, but I liked the performance of the Galaxy Quest girl the most.
Old 08-28-13, 09:08 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Not a bad show.. I watched two episodes.. I did like the 2nd one I saw, Emerald City I believe, where Yaya called out the one girl on her costume asking her specifically what she did (since she told Yaya her bf helped) and she kind of ducked the question. I don't think she should be allowed to compete if she didn't do the majority of the work. I thought that was a big point in the competition in that the judges like to see the people making their own costumes.

Some of the winners boggled me.. The first episode I saw, WoW I think, had that big furry costume win. There were much better ones than that one. The steampunk guy I like as I like the look of most Steampunk things I've seen over the years.

And I agree it was kind of hypocritical of Yaya to come down on the one girl for wearing a sexy costume when that seems to be how she makes her name in the Cosplay world.. Though that girl in the sexy Poison Ivy costume didn't do anything but stand there hoping that the sexy outfit would do it all for her.
Old 08-28-13, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

I enjoyed last night's show. The two friends being back was nice because it is always cool to see some camaraderie, rather than cut throat (even though this week they were competing with one another. Less Yaya was nice, I agree. Don't like the rocket pack chick though. In fact, the three women who rely on their significant other to help out are all pretty whiny and seem spoiled.
Old 08-28-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually I thought the last episode focusing on the Tank Girl costume was horrible television. I had no interest in the artificial drama generated by having partners compete against each other. It was as phony as a three-dollar bill.

The female Rocketeer costume should have won that contest, it was easily the most polished costume presented on the show.

Warner/DC must have not given the producers permission to use their trademarks. Except when they absolutely have to show them like the Poison Ivy example, the show is purposely ignoring DC characters.
Old 08-29-13, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who knew Riki had that rack !

Somewhat simple this episode but still fun.
Less drama and more focus on the design process will keep this show around. It's irritating when shows start out about a subject, but then go far left and start showing 75% unrelated crap. I just hope we dont start seeing relationship issues, vacations ... just show the build process and the contest.
Old 08-30-13, 01:10 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

That female Rocketeer outfit was spectacular looking, from what they showed. I agree with the comment that someone made in that it looked like something you'd see on a film set. It seems that the winning costumes still seem to be video game related and/or overly showy pieces with lights thrown in there. I know we are not seeing everything, but from the 3 episodes I've seen, I haven't agreed with the winners, overall, that have been picked. The female rockateer and tank girl, from the recent episode, I was glad they placed at least. I don't think I agreed with any of the wins for the previous two episodes.
Old 08-31-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The costume (except for the cheap looking rocket pack) was awesome and this latest episode did put more episode into costume creation but still not enough. It still feels like they are glossing over the interesting part: the conceptualization and creation of the actual costumes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.