Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That All Entertainment Will Be In 3D

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

James Cameron Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That All Entertainment Will Be In 3D

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 07:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

by Kevin Jagernauth

August 22, 2013 9:19 AM

To 3D or not to 3D, that is the question, and lately, the answer from moviegoers has been: pass. As was reported earlier this month, the format has been taking some blows at the box office, with North American crowds favoring regular old 2D for the majority of their viewing experience. This summer, only 25% of total domestic ticket sales of Dreamworks' animated film “Turbo” came from those uncomfortable glasses, with 31% of sales for “Monsters University” in 3D, and only 34% for Brad Pitt's biggest grossing movie ever, “World War Z." But don't tell that to James Cameron, who sees only a bright, three-dimensional future for the format.

Chatting recently with the BBC, the director made it clear that 3D is here to stay. "For me it's absolutely inevitable that entertainment will be 3D, it'll all be 3D eventually, because that's how we see the world," he said, adding: "When it's correct and convenient for us, we pre-select for that as the premium experience."

From an industry perspective, he points to the fact that three out of the last four Cinematography Oscars went to 3D movies ("Avatar," "Hugo" and "Life Of Pi"). And though he acknowledges that "bad conversion" has "polluted" the experience for man—not to mention a handful of cable networks dropping channels broadcasting in 3D recently—Cameron ultimately believes the technology, product and consumer desire for 3D will all dovetail eventually into a perfectly synchronized harmony of success.

And while Cameron's comments might seem wildly out of touch with what audiences are clearly voting for at the box office, it should be noted that overseas 3D is still huge, with 80-90% of tickets moviegoers in Russia and China choosing to put on the glasses. And as long as that's the case, 3D isn't going anywhere.

But what do you think? Are we forever doomed to experience movies this way? Will even the news be in 3D in the future as Cameron suggests? Tell us below.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...in-3d-20130822
Old 08-22-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: James Cameron Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That All Entertainment Will Be In

Yes, just like all comic books and movies are in color.
Old 08-22-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: James Cameron Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That All Entertainment Will Be In

Sorry, Jim. We decide.

And we say "no".
Old 08-22-13, 07:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do we really decide?
Old 08-22-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The consumer? Absolutely. 3D market share has been steadily dwindling and studios know this. It will never be all 3D all the time. Ever.
Old 08-22-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

He's invested a lot of money in 3D. Of course he's going to say that.
Old 08-22-13, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

if it is Avatar 3D then yes, i am on board, if it is My Bloody Valentine remake and all the other shitty 3D conversions or whatever then suck my big cock Jim!!
Old 08-22-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Gah I hope not. For the most part, my eyes just don't find 3D pleasant.
Old 08-22-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
It will never be all 3D all the time. Ever.
Oh it will.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484469/ul...ming-this-year

3D is here to stay whether people like it or not.
Old 08-22-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

A friend of mine, that manages a decent sized theater here, had to cut back on the amount of 3D screenings as the audiences are always very small.
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
if it is Avatar 3D then yes, i am on board, if it is My Bloody Valentine remake and all the other shitty 3D conversions or whatever then suck my big black cock Jim!!
MBV was shot in 3D, and it actually looked pretty good.
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Musick Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That James Cameron Will Always Say Something Stupid
Old 08-22-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
Musick Says It's "Absolutely Inevitable" That James Cameron Will Always Say Something Stupid
Like saying that there will be four Avatar films when he hasn't even made the second one?
Old 08-22-13, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Oh it will.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484469/ul...ming-this-year

3D is here to stay whether people like it or not.
That sounds awesome!
Old 08-22-13, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't Cameron the guy who also said video games would never be able to tell an emotional story or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 08-22-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For "tentpole" pictures, he may be correct. But for independent/lower budget films? I don't see the likes of Woody Allen or the Coen Bros. doing 3D.

On the other hand, a few years ago I probably would have said that Martin Scorsese or Ang Lee wouldn't do it either. But even their 3D films lended themselves to it.
Old 08-22-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah, no need for dramas or comedies in 3D.
Old 08-22-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I really enjoy 3D but Cameron is being ridiculous. Not everything need be in 3D.
Old 08-23-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
And though he acknowledges that "bad conversion" has "polluted" the experience for man
Were his exact words actually that pretentious?
Old 08-23-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

If that is the case, I hope they're planning to improve the current 3d technology about 500%. Every 3D movie I've seen is such a chore to look it. Most of the 3D effects just looks like a blurry mess to me. And as someone who wears glasses, it got real uncomfortable having to plop an extra set over my normal specs. I don't get used to wearing these glasses. It creates a claustrophobic feeling, always reminding me that I'm sitting in a theater. When I watch a normal movie I get lost in the picture, 3D reminds me of the limitations of the screen. It makes the movies feel "smaller" not more immersive.
Old 08-23-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim just let it go man, let it go

just because your 3D Avatar made a billion dollars does not mean people care that much about 3D
Old 08-23-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

James Cameron can be wrong, guys.

At any rate, I do think we're headed to where all video will have the capability of 3D. Not with the glasses or anything - it'll require a new development in the way movies are recorded and played, and won't require any effort or additional equipment on the part of the user. And just like we still have stereo songs and black and white photography, we'll still have 2D flicks.
Old 08-23-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

James Cameron can be wrong, guys.

At any rate, I do think we're headed to where all video will have the capability of 3D. Not with the glasses or anything - it'll require a new development in the way movies are recorded and played, and won't require any effort or additional equipment on the part of the user. And just like we still have stereo songs and black and white photography, we'll still have 2D flicks.
Old 08-23-13, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Did you just double-post DonnachaOne or will your post appear in 3-D if I read it with special polarizing glasses?
Old 08-23-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just turn the monitor on its side, cross your eyes slightly, and the two posts merge into one! Not quite 3D, but you do get a rotten headache, just like most 3D movies!

Yes, I double posted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.