Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ben Stiller To Revive ‘Reality Bites’ As Comedy Series For NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-22-13, 06:54 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Reality Bites NBC TV SeriesReality Bites, the cult 1994 romantic comedy that examined the angst of Generation X college graduates, is heading to primetime. The film’s director Ben Stiller and writer Helen Childress have teamed for a TV series version of the movie that starred Winona Ryder, Stiller and Ethan Hawke. Childress will write the single-camera comedy project, which is set up at NBC. It centers on recent college graduate Lelaina Pierce, the character played in the movie by Ryder, as she struggles to make her way — romantically and professionally — in the recession-plagued, pre-Internet early 1990s. Set in Houston, the show, and Lelaina herself with her video camera, chronicles the lives of her “slacker” friends with whom she shares an apartment. The series is produced by Universal Television, sibling to the film’s producer Universal Pictures. Co-producing with Uni TV are Stiller’s Red Hour Television and Double Feature Films, the company run by Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, who were producers on the 1994 film. Red Hours’ Stiller, Debbie Liebling, and Stuart Cornfeld executive produce with Childress, Shamberg and Sher. WME-repped Red Hour has a pilot, Big Time In Hollywood, FL, and stand-up comedy series, The Meltdown With Jonah And Kumail, at Comedy Central and sketch comedy series The Birthday Boys at IFC. Childress, repped by Original Artists, has feature horror project The Mountain at Fox and Red Hour with Stiller attached to direct, she is penning a feature adaptation of kids book The Snowy Day, also for Fox and Red Hour, and recently re-wrote The Drowning for Fox.
Old 08-22-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ben Stiller To Revive ‘Reality Bites’ As Comedy Series For NBC

Reports are that they let Winona have a look at the script for the pilot, but she ran off with it. They're writing a new one now.

I always wanted to make a spoof movie called "Realty Bites", about three Century 21 agents.
Old 08-22-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Fucking terrible movie. Now it's That '90s Show. That actually makes sense, somehow.
Old 08-22-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 973 Likes on 606 Posts

^I agree--awful movie. My girlfriend back then loved it because she had lived in Montrose for a while.
Old 08-22-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I bet it Really Bites
Old 08-22-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure why, but this news makes me feel older than the fact that ABC has a show this fall based in the 80s.

I guess the 80s have been done before, so I can more easily accept that Back To The Future is 28 years old, then I can accept that I graduated high school almost 20 years ago.

The movie was weak, and it introduced us to Lisa Loeb and her 9 stories of hell known as "Stay."
Old 08-23-13, 07:48 AM
Suspended

It would be funnier if it took place when I graduated college the mid 2000s when the bubble burst and recession happened. What's not funny about being 23K in student loan debt thats constantly accumulating interest?
Old 08-23-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

This was very literally the only movie I've ever gotten up and walked out of...and I've sat through some stinkers.
Old 08-23-13, 10:40 PM
Suspended

How about "The Cable Guy" TV show, a Dexter like show about a schizophrenic Cable Guy stalking a cable company subscriber. I would be down for that, hell if Hannibal or Bates Motel could work why couldn't this? Someone call Bill Hader to be the cable guy too.
Old 08-24-13, 09:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No other movie represents the 1990s mentality that "it's better to laze about and be a slacker than to have a real job" than Reality Bites. It was a very disappointing follow-up to the superb Ben Stiller Show.
Old 08-24-13, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
No other movie represents the 1990s mentality that "it's better to laze about and be a slacker than to have a real job" than Reality Bites. It was a very disappointing follow-up to the superb Ben Stiller Show.
I was very young in the 90s but I never realized they were so lazy supposedly.
Old 08-25-13, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

I've always thought it should've been called "This Movie Bites."

My sis-in-law recommended it years ago. I quickly realized that her taste in movies sucks.
Old 08-25-13, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
How about "The Cable Guy" TV show, a Dexter like show about a schizophrenic Cable Guy stalking a cable company subscriber. I would be down for that, hell if Hannibal or Bates Motel could work why couldn't this? Someone call Bill Hader to be the cable guy too.
Wouldn't work. You'd have to set the DVR from 9AM-5PM and just hope the episode aired.