Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you care about Metacritic scores enough to let it influence a game purchase?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Metacritic? Does it influence you?
Yes
43.75%
No
28.13%
Maybe
28.13%
So
0%
twikoff
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I didn't want to boggle down the other threads with this, so I just wanted to see where people stand on such things. If there's another thread, feel free to remove/merge this one... but I'm curious about our "current" readers here, not so much what people said X number of years ago.

Personally, I never ever look at Metacritic, much like I don't really care what Rotten Tomatoes displays most of the time for movies.
Old 08-21-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Do you care about Metacritic scores enough to let it influence a game purchase?

Yes
Old 08-21-13, 10:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do you care about Metacritic scores enough to let it influence a game purchase?

The poll took 59 seconds to do! Damn you!
Old 08-21-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Music
Old 08-21-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup. I don't play THAT many games, so often times I wait for reviews and only play games that seem like they will be worth my while. Reviews aren't perfect, but Metacritic is a quick and easy way to at least see what the general consensus is.
Old 08-21-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Voted Yes.

Especially if I'm on the fence about a game.
Old 08-21-13, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont pay attention at all. If I can play a demo or rent first then I will go off my "rating". If thats no available and I still think it looks then I will buy
Old 08-21-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I reference it a lot when trying to figure out if a game I'm eyeing as a gift for a friend/relative is up-to-par.

For myself, not really. I'll use Metacritic as a quick gateway to a bunch of opinions, and I'll try to skim through a few on different sides of the spectrum. Posts on forums like DVD Talk and LCVG push me more towards/against games than reviews in general. If I'm on the fence, a high Metacritic score could push me over.
Old 08-21-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I don't think I've ever been to Metacritic. I listen to the fine folks on this forum.
Old 08-21-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I reference meta sites like gamerankings.com, but not metacritic in specific. Does that count?
Old 08-21-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy what I want. Ratings have never influenced me. Opinions of people I know and trust? Sure. Random internet people? Nope.
Old 08-21-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Absolutely. It's not my only resource, but I think it's important : I find that the Metacritic video game scores tend to be artificially high, at least in comparison to movie or music scores (see Last of Us, The). If a game has an aggregate score of less than 70, in my experience there's probably a significant reason for that score (Unlike movies, where there are many enjoyable films with scores in the 60s).
Old 08-21-13, 12:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes. If I'm interested in a game, and it's bombing in all the reviews, I'll balk. And if a game wasn't on my radar, and is suddenly getting universal praise, I'll give it a second look.
Old 08-21-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not metacritic specifically, but I definitely look at reviews before investing my time or money into a game.

Voted maybe.
Old 08-21-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I didn't want to boggle down the other threads with this, so I just wanted to see where people stand on such things. If there's another thread, feel free to remove/merge this one... but I'm curious about our "current" readers here, not so much what people said X number of years ago.

Personally, I never ever look at Metacritic, much like I don't really care what Rotten Tomatoes displays most of the time for movies.
If I am 50/50 on a game purchase, I will take a peak to make sure this isn't getting 20 percent.

But if I want a game, I'm going to get that game.
Old 08-21-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I care more about RT than MC.

Some games I will get no matter what. There are a few that I will only consider if they have good MC rating.
Old 08-21-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted maybe. If it's a game based on something I have an interest in (like that horrible LOST game), i'll at least rent it and try it. But if it sucks, I'm OK with not finishing it.
Old 08-21-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost never buy games at release, but I keep a list of what I am intersted in getting cheap. I add games to that list based off of recomendations here and on the couple of gaming podcasts I listen to. I'll read reviews for games if they go on sale for crazy prices on XBLA or PSN and I haven't heard of them before.
Old 08-21-13, 01:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

sometimes...
Old 08-21-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Don't know that I have ever even been to Metacritic, so no.
Old 08-21-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actual critical reviews - yes
User reviews - no
Old 08-21-13, 03:54 PM

I'll look if I'm on the fence about a game or see an older game that I don't remember reading about.
Old 08-21-13, 05:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. Otherwise I would have spent $60 on Resident Evil 6 on release day. Metacritic made me wait till it was $10.
Old 08-21-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it's a good starting point, but you have to be careful. Sometimes, especially with indie/less popular games, there won't be many reviews and one bad score can bring down the average considerably. I also get a bit disappointed when they list reviews in English that are actually in foreign languages when you visit the site, and when some reviews aren't available to read online at all. It's especially handy for checking out a batch of games in a new bundle.

However, as always I don't put a ton of stock in the numerical score and try to actually read the reviews. I think it's important to know WHY a game got the score it did, and Metacritic isn't perfect; some sites' grades don't lend themselves as well to being converted to a 0-100 scale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.