The Newsroom -- "One Step Too Many" -- 8/18/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-18-13, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Synopsis:

Mac and Charlie score a key witness, a retired Marine general, in their attempt to corroborate Jerry's Operation Genoa story. Will follows Nina's (Hope Davis) lead to soften his image by making an impromptu appearance on a morning talk show. Jim gets unexpected company during his reunion with Hallie, who's in town to cover a Romney rally.

Written by Aaron Sorkin; directed by Julian Farino

Episode 6 of 9
Old 08-18-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "One Step Too Many" -- 8/18/13

Stephen Root!!!
Old 08-19-13, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

The dinner with Jim, Neal, and the girls was awesomely uncomfortable. Then top it off with that scene with Maggie in the bar.

Well, now we know why the shit hit the fan. That guy Jerry's career would be over, right?

I really liked the scenes with Sloan and Will.
Old 08-19-13, 08:51 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Stephen Root!!!
He really gets around. I feel like I've seen in him 3 different things, just in this week. Such a great actor and can bounce from one end of the spectrum to another so easily.
Old 08-19-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So now we know HOW the shit hit the fan. I guess my question is, why would Jerry file a wrongful termination lawsuit when it's shown in the preview for next week
Spoiler:
that he pretty much admits to doing it.

Loved the scenes of him and Jim clashing. You could really see why Jim was so much better at his job than Jerry.

I rewatched the deposition scenes of the past episodes on HBO Go last night after this and a lot of what was said in those now makes more sense. So Jerry's basically trying to discredit Maggie's testimony because of what happened to her in Africa. But she wasn't even in the room when the interview happened. Why doesn't she just say "I didn't hear what was said, I wasn't in the room".

Last edited by Kal-El; 08-19-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Please spoilerize preview discussions in the future.
Old 08-19-13, 11:20 PM
Banned

just a quick question

Spoiler:
Was jerry setting them up to fail? especially with the editing he did?
Old 08-19-13, 11:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ I don't think so. I think he did it because he truly felt like he HAD to do it.
Spoiler:
How no one caught the cut in the video (the TV footage in the background clearly jumping in an obvious way), was surprising to me.
Old 08-20-13, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
^ I don't think so. I think he did it because he truly felt like he HAD to do it.
Spoiler:
How no one caught the cut in the video (the TV footage in the background clearly jumping in an obvious way), was surprising to me.

Spoiler:
Don gave the guy a funny look during the part where he said "used sarin gas, we used sarin gas" I thought he would have said something then
Old 08-20-13, 09:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I re-watched it last night. I thought Don's look was toward Mack.

I also re-watched part of the episode where Maggie is getting questioned by the lawyer. I don't know why I'm spoilering stuff, but anyway:
Spoiler:
She's very adamant in that episode that Stephen Root's character (who we didn't know was played by Stephen Root at the time) did NOT say "It happened." She said she was in the room, and that's not what he said. She was clear on that. But in this week's episode (which, as I said, I re-watched), right as she's leaving the room, he does clearly say "It happened" right after Jerry asks, "It happened?"
Old 08-20-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't really liked this season, especially the previous two weeks, but I really did like this episode so I hope it finished strong.
Old 08-20-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

This season finally feels like it's going somewhere and it's almost over. 9 episodes is way too short for this show.
Old 08-20-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was the best epiosde of the season. That's not saying much since I think this episode has been pretty crappy so far. I liked the first season consistantly much more.

Being a conservative myself the left lean of the show doesn't bother me (I'm used to it) but when Will is supposed to be at least a little conservative (or at least impartial) and everything he says or does is only against the GOP it annoys me. I understand this takes place during the GOP primaries but there was plenty more going on in the world that they could have at least mentioned.

Maybe someone should tell Sorkin that having a main character call himself a Republican is not enough. Anyone with any real right leaning is always shown to be crazy (the Paul follower), criminally evil (Jerry), or stupid (anyone Will has ever interviewed on his show).
Old 08-20-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
This was the best epiosde of the season. That's not saying much since I think this episode has been pretty crappy so far. I liked the first season consistantly much more.

Being a conservative myself the left lean of the show doesn't bother me (I'm used to it) but when Will is supposed to be at least a little conservative (or at least impartial) and everything he says or does is only against the GOP it annoys me. I understand this takes place during the GOP primaries but there was plenty more going on in the world that they could have at least mentioned.

Maybe someone should tell Sorkin that having a main character call himself a Republican is not enough. Anyone with any real right leaning is always shown to be crazy (the Paul follower), criminally evil (Jerry), or stupid (anyone Will has ever interviewed on his show).
I agree about Will. Like when he was talking about how many laws had been passed by that Congress..just assuming that everyone believes that more laws being passed equals better. Some would say that less laws is better, or at least that the quality of laws passed would be a better way to judge(granted he did mention that some of the few that were passed were stupid or redundant).
Old 08-20-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only reason Will is supposed to be a conservative is so Sorkin can attempt to draw a distinction between maybe Reaganism and the Tea Party. It's a bit of cheapness I'd prefer we didn't have.

I don't think this season was too short. If anything, it seems to me they are telling a 6 episode story over 9 episodes. Sure, if they had actual story to tell it could be a longer season. It seems they don't. I have a feeling this will be 2 seasons and done, and it's sort of a pity.
Old 08-21-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a feeling this will be 2 seasons and done, and it's sort of a pity.
HBO has already basically confirmed there will be a third season: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...-hbo-news.html

Agreed that Will doesn't seem conservative at all when all he does is bash conservatives, LOL, but that's Sorkin for you.

This was by far the best episode of the series. He's just now getting into a flow. It's too bad he had to reshoot the first three episodes--if this flow continues I'll have wished we had 12 again.
Old 08-21-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Yep, this episode had everything the previous ones this year were missing - the playful banter over how many reindeer Santa has, Sloan talking about 'John Carter' to Will, Charlie and Mac having trouble finding the General's house.

Will STILL seems like a secondary character this season, but I agree this week was Season 2's best show.
Old 08-21-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
This was by far the best episode of the series. He's just now getting into a flow. It's too bad he had to reshoot the first three episodes--if this flow continues I'll have wished we had 12 again.
Season 1 was only 10 episodes, so we're only missing out on an hour this Season.
Old 08-21-13, 06:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Agreed that Will doesn't seem conservative at all when all he does is bash conservatives, LOL, but that's Sorkin for you.
I don't remember Will ever saying that he is a conservative, just that he is a Republican.
Old 08-21-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toonview
I don't remember Will ever saying that he is a conservative, just that he is a Republican.
Unless his party choice dates to before Nixon and just hasn't changed, it's difficult to suggest he isn't a conservative at least generically if he is a Republican. That goes double when you consider he's from the midwest, not the northeast (the last bastion of the liberal Republican).
Old 08-21-13, 08:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless his party choice dates to before Nixon and just hasn't changed, it's difficult to suggest he isn't a conservative at least generically if he is a Republican. That goes double when you consider he's from the midwest, not the northeast (the last bastion of the liberal Republican).
I'm not a Republican or a conservative, so I can't speak to the nuances being either or both. That said, I imagine there are shades and levels like everything and Will skews more towards the types of those people that are less vocal or get less airtime these days. And I'd wager t just seeing him nod in agreement with like minded individuals really doesn't make for good drama.
Old 08-21-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's pretty clearly Sorkin trying to point out how far the Republican Party/conservative movement have moved since Reagan. It's a lot too transparent if you ask me, though.
Old 08-21-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty clearly Sorkin trying to point out how far the Republican Party/conservative movement have moved since Reagan. It's a lot too transparent if you ask me, though.
I'm all for the religious right and idiots that have risen to the top of the party being skewered but to never have anything negative to say about the liberals seems completely false to me. Even in his famous rant on the college campus that started the series (which I loved) was remarkably softball when it came to the Democrat on stage.

I'm OK with him being a liberal, just don't fake that he isn't one in order to seem more impartial.
Old 08-21-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to say "me too" but I was going to post exactly what DeputyDave said. There are troubling things that occur on both sides. Going in, I so hoped the show (and Will) would take no prisoners. Maybe in S3 when they cover the NSA and PRISM.

I still like the show, but I like the news part of it less and less.
Old 08-23-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Stephen Root!!!
Every time I see him in movies or tv.....

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Hw71HxAiBTE?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Hw71HxAiBTE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.