Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Welcome to the Sheep of Tomorrow...Futurama Sheep

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the Sheep of Tomorrow...Futurama Sheep

Welcome to Futurama Sheep! (Bring out your torches and pitchforks; I wasn't able to find a suitable sheep picture.)

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. For this game, you may not play more than a single Slam Dunk on a question. If you do, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

Read the game-specific rules (especially related to how slam dunks can be used).

The Questions
1. R: “Are you three, by any chance, interested in becoming my new spaceship crew?” Name a character who temporarily worked at Planet Express.
2. S: “This toads the wet sprocket!” Name an episode with Leela's name in its title.
3. R: “Celebrity Ape Fight will return next week at its regular time.” Name a TV show seen on Futurama.
4. S: “Remember your manners, kids. Forks go in the left pocket, spoons in the right.” Name something other than stealing that Bender is known for.
5. S: “The one you can see a movie of in the popcorn stadium.” Who is your favorite recurring character?
6. S: “Sweet something of . . . someplace.” Name a place where the Planet Express crew made a delivery.
7. S: “I wanna be something useful like . . . a science-fiction cartoon writer.” Name a Futurama writer.
8. S: “Off you go, apparently.” Name one of Professor Farnsworth's inventions.
9. R: “Welcome to the Head Museum, I'm Leonard Nimoy.” Name an actor who made a guest appearance on Futurama – as a character, not as himself/herself.
10. S: “The rest of us aren't normal and that's what makes us so great.” Who is your favorite member of the Planet Express team?
11. S: “Cool, an alien! Has your race taken over the Earth?” A number of episodes have explored Fry and Leela's relationship. Which one is the best?
12. R: “Today the mad scientist can't get a doomsday device, tomorrow it's the mad grad student.” Name one of Futurama's villains.
13. R: “And now, thanks to being hurled backwards in time - ” Name a Futurama episode where time travel figures in the plot.
14. S: “As the candy hearts poured into the fiery quasar, a wondrous thing happened, why not.” Question 11 was about Fry and Leela; name another couple on Futurama.
15. S: “I see a lot of fancy robots here today, made of real shiny metal.” Who is your favorite Futurama robot, besides Bender?
16. S: “Friends! Help! A guinea pig tricked me!” Name an episode that prominently features Zoidberg.
17. S: “Guk! I hate subtitles. Alien films are so pretentious.” Name a movie parodied in a Futurama episode.
18. R: “No, wait! I'm the good Santa. I've got toys . . . at very reasonable prices.” Name a Futurama action figure released by Toynami.
19. S: “Jamaicans have other interests.” Futurama's main voice actors have taken part in other shows as well. Name another TV series, or movie, a leading cast member has been in (specifying the actor would be helpful here).
20. S: “You're watching Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery.” What is your favorite episode?
Old 08-15-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Welcome to the Sheep of Tomorrow...Futurama Sheep

What do you mean by "temporarily worked at Planet Express"? Like they only did it for one episode? Technically, any of the main characters "temporarily worked" at Planet Express.
Old 08-15-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Yeeesh. Do we have to know actual episode titles or can we give some kind of description?
Old 08-15-13, 03:15 PM

I'm as big as a Futurama fan as the next bottled head, but given that questions ask for episode titles, me thinks Googling will have to be used.
Old 08-15-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
I'm as big as a Futurama fan as the next bottled head, but given that questions ask for episode titles, me thinks Googling will have to be used.
Bah! big fans would own the DVDs, thus having all episode names memorized

There's a few episodes that have pretty famous names.
Old 08-15-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Bah! big fans would own the DVDs, thus having all episode names memorized
I think I have S1-4 on DVD but I have not watched them in years.
Old 08-15-13, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Good news everybody! It's Futurama Sheep!

I don't think I've watched a full episode since it was on Fox ... I'll probably sit this one out.
Old 08-15-13, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
What do you mean by "temporarily worked at Planet Express"? Like they only did it for one episode?
That's about what I had in mind; but if they did it for two or three episodes, that would count too.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yeeesh. Do we have to know actual episode titles or can we give some kind of description?
I won't be too strict on that; I'm sure I can figure out the title from a short description.
Old 08-15-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, my answers are submitted.

Let's see if I can win two of these sheep games in a row!
Old 08-15-13, 06:39 PM

Answers were cryogenicly frozen waiting for you to discover them in one thousand years.
Old 08-16-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

answers sent. This one will be tough
Old 08-16-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Answers sent. Tried my best!
Old 08-17-13, 04:01 PM

We have 7 players so far; still plenty of spots open.
Old 08-18-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My answers are submitted.nits my first time playing a sheep game.
Old 08-18-13, 04:02 PM

I'm going to hold this open through tomorrow, then start with the players I've got (would like 3-5 more, but will go with the current number otherwise).
Old 08-18-13, 09:18 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Answers sent. At first glance, I thought this looked really tough and I admit I had to really do some thinking on the answers while in other sheep games I've been able to use answers off the top of my head.
Old 08-19-13, 01:06 AM

I submitted - I suspect this one might be slow for players as some of the questions are too difficult but I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out and thank you for hosting! I was surprised at how many episode titles I remembered but there was still one that I had no idea the name of the episode and another where I had no idea if the place I described was specifically named in the episode. Hopefully descriptions count.
Old 08-20-13, 03:19 AM

I've got the game just about ready to go. I'm looking to start it either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning - whichever time the players think best.
Old 08-20-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I could probably follow along Tuesday afternoon, but have a job interview Wednesday morning (yay!).
Old 08-20-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

If you are ready to go, I say start Tuesday.
Old 08-20-13, 12:09 PM

The game will begin in about two hours.
Old 08-20-13, 01:43 PM

Let's meet the players:

AaronHernandez
Crocker Jarmen
DaveNinja
dhmac
TheKing
Lord Zarak
majorjoe23
Mhepburn20
mrcellophane
mortalplague
pushx
story
Old 08-20-13, 01:55 PM

And we're off!
Old 08-20-13, 01:57 PM

1. R: “Are you three, by any chance, interested in becoming my new spaceship crew?” Name a character who temporarily worked at Planet Express.
Old 08-20-13, 02:01 PM

Let's begin with:

Spoiler:

Cubert +2
TheKing
mrcellophane

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.