The Amazon console

Old 08-13-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Amazon console

a.k.a. The Amazonstation One (TAO)

http://www.geek.com/android/amazon-e...riday-1564940/

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/09/ama...y-end-of-year/

They have hired great people, from Valve, Microsoft, etc.

And of course besides playing android games (?), will include Amazon Prime Instant Video, Music, etc.

My opinion: This needs to be a $49 console if they want to have any success this holiday season.
Old 08-13-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Amazon console

So is Android really an amazing game platform that everyone needs to release a box for it? Or is it just easy?
Old 08-13-13, 01:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's open source, so anybody can put out an Android console. You could build one yourself with a Raspberry Pi if you're so inclined.
Old 08-13-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like a waste to me, but I didn't think much of the Ouya either and Android consoles. Even with Amazon backing I don't really see the demand for this.
Old 08-13-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

You're saying that this would play Amazon Prime music/video, not that buying the console would entitle you to a lifetime sub, right? Of course that makes sense for them, but that means they would severely tie down the system (or at least try to) so that everything is done through their android store, and you wouldn't be able to easily setup competing services like Netflix, or even XBMC. Given the seeming lack of success for the Ouya so far (at least in my eyes... my console is still in the box, and won't come out until XBMC is easily compatible), and the next gen systems coming out in that timeframe, I'm not sure why Amazon would be in a rush to get this out.

Now if this came free with Prime sub, as one of the articles speculates, that's something else entirely.
Old 08-13-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something they should give away to each new amazon prime subscriber.
Old 08-13-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

The biggest problem I have with these consoles is that I don't want to occupy my tv set playing android games. I have never heard any of my gaming friends clamor for one of these and now it seems like there are several companies trying to put one out there.
Old 08-13-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But I have a 360 (with the Amazon video app) and a Kindle HD Fire. Yeah, I have no need for this thing, at all.
Old 08-13-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

if they can figure a way to incorporate their services into the box (video/music), i can see people picking this up for cheap.
Old 08-13-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

If it can play some of the stellar SNES emulators available on my Galaxy, I'm in.
Old 08-13-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Something tells me it won't be that different from essentially just being the Kindle Fire in a box for your TV.
Old 08-13-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You could build one yourself with a Raspberry Pi if you're so inclined.
Awesome, I'm off to the bakery!
Old 08-13-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I don't think I'd be remotely interested in this, but it could spell certain death for the OUYA.
Old 08-13-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see this being just as successful as the Ouya (which is not very). Granted, the Kickstarter for the Ouya was great, but the actual product and all of the reviews have sucked, so it's bound to be dead 6 months from now.
Old 08-13-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I thought the Kindle Fire would bomb (especially after seeing the heavy, ugly, proprietary thing in person) and I was wrong about that. I've learned not to underestimate Amazon's ability to successfully market their own crap.
Old 08-13-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I thought the Kindle Fire would bomb (especially after seeing the heavy, ugly, proprietary thing in person) and I was wrong about that. I've learned not to underestimate Amazon's ability to successfully market their own crap.
Right, before the Kindle Fire came out, there was doubt that Android Tablets could catch on. Now, there's doubt that an Android console could catch on. Amazon could prove everyone wrong yet again.

Amazon could easily market this as their answer to the AppleTV, i.e. as primarily a media consumption device, priced under $100. The difference being that it's also capable of playing Android Games.
Old 08-13-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with the Ouya is the hardware sucks in order to make a profit off the hardware.

The advantage Amazon has, as seen with the Kindle line devices, they can take a hit on the hardware as they're the ones providing the services the end user will utilize. Amazon can use the same hardware that they use in the next-generation Kindle Fire devices (that we should see next month) and keep the unit under the $99 price point.

Just like Apple, Microsoft, and Sony; Amazon wants to dominate the living room.
Old 08-13-13, 06:11 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

They've been working on a KindleTV streaming box for a while. I wonder if this is a completely separate device or just an evolution of the original plans. Maybe they'll have different models like they do with the Kindle readers. A cheap basic version for streaming media and a higher priced console for gaming.

Hopefully they can get it to interact with the Kindle Fire. It would be cool to have Airplay-like features.
Old 08-13-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Right, before the Kindle Fire came out, there was doubt that Android Tablets could catch on. Now, there's doubt that an Android console could catch on. Amazon could prove everyone wrong yet again.

Amazon could easily market this as their answer to the AppleTV, i.e. as primarily a media consumption device, priced under $100. The difference being that it's also capable of playing Android Games.
Are there really people that buy digital content on Amazon, though? Even the Prime streaming is more of an add-in to Prime for me, not something I'd pay for separately.
Old 08-13-13, 06:42 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are there really people that buy digital content on Amazon, though? Even the Prime streaming is more of an add-in to Prime for me, not something I'd pay for separately.
I've bought some at Amazon. But these days I mostly buy at Vudu.

I don't use it for major releases. But I'll buy an HD streaming version over a DVD-only release. And you can sometimes get TV shows cheaper on streaming. Right now I'm looking a getting Inspector Lewis and Endeavour. The disc releases are around $20-$35. The streaming versions are only $8-$11. Also, there are times when I just want a single episode from a TV Show, so I'll buy that instead of the entire season on disc.
Old 08-13-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's really easy to compare prices. So if Amazon is the cheapest, I buy/rent the music/movie from them.
Old 08-14-13, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are there really people that buy digital content on Amazon, though?
I think the Kindle Fire has caused a lot of people to focus on the Amazon digtal content, just like the Kindle original helped Amazon's eBooks take off.