Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs and games ruined? =/

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDs and games ruined? =/

My husband accidentally sprayed some Lysol on a couple of DVDs and a couple of video games my kids left out of the cases. No one noticed for a day or so until I started to put them away. They look really cloudy. We wiped them with a dry microfiber with no results. We washed them off with water and a couple drops of dawn. A music cd played after that. Xbox game was unreadable. We haven't tried the movies yet but at least one looks worse than the game. =( Are these salvageable???
How can we repair them?
Old 08-13-13, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVDs and games ruined? =/

First, punch your kids in the faces for being disrespectul. But seriously, I don't know. I've never heard of something like this happening. You might try VERY lightly rubbing a bit with some brass polish like Brasso or something similar. That might work. It works with scratches, anyway. Another thing might be to soak the dvds that won't work in some slightly warm and soapy water for 10 or 15 minutes. Then, try rubbing with a soft cloth.

Hope it works out...
Old 08-13-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could trying boiling the discs. (This method has worked for me)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/56...tches-dvd.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-299763.html
Old 08-13-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Don't know. Sounds like something in the Lysol might have caused a chemical reaction with the plastic in the CDs/DVDs.

As a last resort, you might try to resurface the DVDs. This a method primarily used to buff out scratches, but if we're looking at a chemical reaction, then it's likely that the Lysol either bonded to the surface of the DVD or eroded it away, leaving the data layers intact but unable to be read by the laser. Some video stores have a machine that will do this for a small fee. If the data is still there, and the chemical damage isn't too deep, then there's a chance they're still salvageable. Be aware, though, that you can't sand away too much of the surface as it will actually remove part of the surface of the DVD, and if it's too think it will either cut into the data layers or be too brittle to withstand handling.