The White Queen (Starz) -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-10-13, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.starz.com/originals/thewhitequeen

About The Series
The White Queen is a riveting portrayal of one of the most dramatic and turbulent times in English history. A story of love and lust, seduction and deception, betrayal and murder, it is uniquely told through the perspective of three different, yet equally relentless women - Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville. In their quest for power, they will scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne.

The year is 1464, before the Tudor dynasty ruled the country, and war has been ravaging throughout England over who is the rightful King. It is a bitter dispute between two sides of the same family, The House of York and The House of Lancaster.

The House of York's young and handsome Edward IV is crowned King of England with the help of the master manipulator, Lord Warwick "The Kingmaker." But when Edward falls in love with a beautiful Lancastrian commoner, Elizabeth Woodville, Warwick's plan to control the throne comes crashing down.

A violent, high-stakes struggle ensues between Elizabeth, her most fierce adversary, Lancastrian Margaret Beaufort, and Anne Neville, the pawn in her father's power game - each woman vying for the crown.

Old 08-10-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
re: The White Queen (Starz) -- Series Thread

I did DVR this. Apparently this is not an original Starz production. It originally aired in the UK in the Spring. Starz is at the mercy of BBC One for this show.

However, they did shoot more explicit scenes for Starz with more sex and nudity. The UK version is censored.
Old 08-11-13, 11:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I liked it, but I can see it getting confusing since I think they are trying to cram all 3 books in the series into 10 episodes.

Rebecca Ferguson was good as Elizabeth.
Old 08-11-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Rebecca boobies... a plus. =)

Enjoyed episode one will watch more.
Old 08-11-13, 03:16 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I'll check it out though am not terribly excited by it. Another period piece on Starz is to be expected I guess.
Old 08-18-13, 02:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

They are really moving through time.

I thought episode 2 was Amanda Hale's, playing Margaret Beaufort, episode to shine.
Old 10-06-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm enjoying this mini-series It's no Game of Thrones (what is?) but it's still quite entertaining with all the plotting for the throne. All the power appears to be in the women's hands as they scheme against each other and manipulate their husbands, while trying to protect their children and the eventual heirs to the throne.

No one has posted since August. Is anyone besides me still watching???
Old 10-06-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still watching, but the show is starting to lose my interest. Not getting into all the magic stuff.

I will say the show is educational, as I find I have to open up Wikipedia while I am watching in order to sort out who many of the characters are and their relationships. Since I don't have a master's in medieval British history, I found myself having a hard time at first keeping all the Edwards, Henrys, and Margarets all straight.
Old 10-06-13, 05:22 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Good period piece with strong production values.
Old 10-07-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am still watching, but the show is starting to lose my interest. Not getting into all the magic stuff.

I will say the show is educational, as I find I have to open up Wikipedia while I am watching in order to sort out who many of the characters are and their relationships. Since I don't have a master's in medieval British history, I found myself having a hard time at first keeping all the Edwards, Henrys, and Margarets all straight.
I find it confusing also. I do the Wiki thing, too. I'm always peeking in Wiki when The Borgias are on.

I wish they would explore the magic a little further. I think they are going to touch on it, now that Elizabeth's daughter has started having visions.
Old 10-21-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The White Queen (Starz) -- Series Thread

This probably wasnt popular but I liked it and It has made want to look into the books.

Sad to see it end.
Old 02-09-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like the sequel series is finally a go.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/whit...ry-1201701413/
Old 02-09-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear they are finally doing a follow-up season. I enjoyed it and was disappointed when it became apparent there wasn't going to be another season. Hope it gets better ratings this go-round.
Old 02-10-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome news... I really liked season 1. I bet this finally got a go, because of how well Rebecca did in Mission Impossible.
Old 02-10-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
awesome news... I really liked season 1. I bet this finally got a go, because of how well Rebecca did in Mission Impossible.
I believe the White Princess would be more centered around Freya Mavor's character from the first series.
Old 02-10-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

sweet! blind watched this during my NETFLIX marathon of watching a lot of stuff (like really A lot of stuff) in November-December. I was sad that there wasn't a second season.