TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Low Winter Sun -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 8/11/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Low Winter Sun -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 8/11/13

Synopsis:

Detectives Frank Agnew (Mark Strong) and Joe Geddes (Lennie James, "The Walking Dead") murder a fellow Detroit police officer in the opener of this crime drama based on a British miniseries. As internal affairs investigates the case, crime lord Damon Callis and his wife Maya discuss future plans.

Written by Chris Mundy
Directed by Ernest Dickerson

10 episode 1st season

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QdWAYnkuF8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty high profile new AMC show. Thought I would go ahead and post this now.

This show is actually filmed on location in Detroit.
Old 08-10-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Low Winter Sun -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 8/11/13

I've been looking forward to this and not just because it was filmed here in Motown.
Old 08-10-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Set up a series recording for this on my DVR. Hopefully it's good. The premise sounds a bit more interesting than a typical procedural show and the previews have looked good thus far.
Old 08-10-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I read a few reviews and they weren't exactly positive, which surprises me. The cast is stellar. Maybe it is one of those slow burn shows.
Old 08-10-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
I read a few reviews and they weren't exactly positive, which surprises me. The cast is stellar. Maybe it is one of those slow burn shows.
I read the LA Times and their TV critic liked it.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1378363.story

Here's an interesting excerpt:

One condition of basic cable in the age of "Breaking Bad," which airs directly before "Low Winter Sun," is a sense of heightened expectation. New series are under some pressure (exacerbated by critics, of course, who want to be astonished) to deliver not just entertainment, fun or intelligent diversion but potentially to be the greatest thing ever, to make a splash, take it to the edge, blow your head off, change the course of television as we know it.

"Low Winter Sun" has clearly got that memo. Directed by Ernest Dickerson — who shot several Spike Lee movies and has directed multiple episodes of "The Wire," "Treme" and "Dexter" — it comes on strong and stays there, in a state of almost constantly heightened tension supported by the restless camera work, which spends a lot of time in close like a fighter in a clinch, and a much-present moody soundtrack.

Its sometimes distracting and oppressive aspirations aside, "Low Winter Sun" does nevertheless strike me as promising, solid at its core, powered by plausible cross-purposes. Strong and James are excellent. It's nice to see Ruben Santiago-Hudson, formerly the captain on "Castle," back running a police station. And Detroit, when the camera pulls back to let you see it, also has a lot to tell you, just standing there.
Old 08-10-13, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this only because of Strong and James. AMC hasn't created a good original series since Mad Men and Breaking Bad...and what's worse is that those were their first two.

Is that fucking Gale in the trailer? I can't take that dude seriously after Breaking Bad.
Old 08-10-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1422702

This writer thinks it's a good show that has the potential to be a great show.

He says it's not the kind of show that will be loved immediately by millions. So the slow burn thing might be true here.
Old 08-10-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

One condition of basic cable in the age of "Breaking Bad," which airs directly before "Low Winter Sun," is a sense of heightened expectation. New series are under some pressure (exacerbated by critics, of course, who want to be astonished) to deliver not just entertainment, fun or intelligent diversion but potentially to be the greatest thing ever, to make a splash, take it to the edge, blow your head off, change the course of television as we know it.
Honestly thinking like that makes new shows destined to fail. Not every show is going to be the next Breaking Bad or any of the great drama series to come about. Those types of shows are once in a great while type of happenings where everything lines up and lightning is captured in a bottle. You can't just easily replicate them. I just am hoping the show is good (same as any show I anticipate) and if it becomes great then that's awesome but you can't make constant comparisons.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Looking forward to this only because of Strong and James. AMC hasn't created a good original series since Mad Men and Breaking Bad...and what's worse is that those were their first two.
Rubicon had potential to be great until they cancelled it. Damn shame that show didn't get more of a chance if you ask me. It was a slow burner but I found it interesting. Aside from that though I agree. I wanted to like The Killing but it wound up being a massive disappointment. Hell on Wheels from what I've seen doesn't do much for me. Also The Walking Dead is overrated as crap. I like Comic Book Men but it's a reality show so doesn't count on the same level.
Old 08-10-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I met Lennie James about 5 years ago at a convention in LA when he was promoting Jericho. Really cool guy. He signed my DVD as well. He was the best part of Jericho.
Old 08-12-13, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

So did anyone watch this after Breaking Bad?

How was it?

If it's a slow burn, I'm probably out.
Old 08-12-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
If it's a slow burn, I'm probably out.
A very slow burn.

I dunno about this one. Some of the acting came off as borderline cheesy and over-the-top dramatic. Mark Strong was pretty grounded, and although I do like Lonnie James I wasn't feeling him in the pilot.

I think I'll stick with it for the Strong factor, but there was nothing that really differentiated this show from a run-of-the-mill network cop drama. It felt like something I've seen before. Hopefully the writing improves and the story goes somewhere interesting.
Old 08-12-13, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk God

I watched it and liked it.

Lennie James and Mark Strong were great. I also thought Dave Costabile was solid as the IA investigator.

The center point of the plot is murder and corruption. Agnew and Geddes murder a cop in the beginning, who is allegedly dirty. They cover it up and dump his body. They didn't say specifically, but it appears that the dirty cop was involved with the death of Agnew's girlfriend, which was the motivating factor for Agnew. There is a big reveal at the end that makes the plot a little more complex. Another body is discovered.

James character Geddes also may be dirty as well. James just ate up the scenes he was in. Liked seeing Ruben Santiago-Hudson from Castle back running a squad room.

The B plot with the guys who ripped off the drug dealer didn't really gel with the main arc. It was weird seeing Sprague Grayden as a blonde.

James and Strong are good enough to keep me watching an entire season. Hell, it's only 10 episodes.

I agree with the NY Daily News writer that this is a show that will need a little time to gain an audience. Not everyone is going to love it right away.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-12-13 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk God

I noticed that Michael McGrady, who played the dirty cop, was also on Ray Donovan tonight as well.

BTW, it was nice to see Athena Karkanis here.

She isn't really well known in the States except maybe her role in the Saw movies. I've always found her quite hot.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-12-13 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 09:34 AM
Banned

Another terrible AMC series.

What a surprise.
Old 08-12-13, 09:50 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Slow burn...so another Rubicon (which AMC didn't have the patience for)? I didn't watch last night, but plan to get to it this week at some point.
Old 08-12-13, 10:09 AM

Creating TV shows with a "slow burn" formula seems almost like a mistake nowadays. Most viewers no longer have the attention span to sit through shows that unravel at a slow pace. They used to for the most part, but not anymore. My thoughts on the show? It was just OK! I would have liked to have seen a little more action maybe? It just felt like a slow and gloomy soap opera. I hope to see the gangsters' story better intertwined with the main plot soon, because so far it didn't seem like there was a purpose other than to have a subplot behind the main plot. I'll stick with it because despite a few flaws, I see some degree of potential somewhere.

Last edited by Frederic; 08-13-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 10:19 AM

Good to see James Ransone (Ziggy Sobotka from the 2nd season of The Wire) getting some more roles!
Old 08-12-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried to watch this last night, but it was the last thing on my list, it was late and I couldn't pay much attention to it. I'll give it another shot later this week.
Old 08-12-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was trying awfully hard to remain interested. Not sure if slow-burn is the phrase I would use. I will try a few more, but was not overly impressed.
The characters were very unlikeable, not someone who I feel that I would follow week after week.

Doug
Old 08-12-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Just thought of something. The Cop who was murdered by Geddes and Agnew was drowned in a restaurant sink (in probably treated tap water) His body was discovered in a river.

I don't know if this show is that detailed oriented, but if they did a really thorough autopsy, the coroner would see the water in his lungs isn't river water.
Old 08-12-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just thought of something. The Cop who was murdered by Geddes and Agnew was drowned in a restaurant sink (in probably treated tap water) His body was discovered in a river.

I don't know if this show is that detailed oriented, but if they did a really thorough autopsy, the coroner would see the water in his lungs isn't river water.
At the beginning, Geddes pulled the top off of the lobster tank and Agnew mentioned the salt water. So I'm guessing that your point may come into play. The only part I was confused about was the whole security camera thing. It seemed, right before the commercial break, that McCann's security camera was some sort of revelation to Geddes and Agnew, but then Agnew goes over the events and we see that they staged it. I'm assuming they knew about the camera from the beginning but I didn't like the pre-commercial tease.

I think this show has potential and I'm in for now.
Old 08-12-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Ratings were actually not bad. It retained a lot of Breaking Bad's audience. It will be interesting to see what the DVR numbers look like. 2.5M viewers for a new show not called The Walking Dead is actually not bad for AMC.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-18-49/196919/

Key Nielsen Highlights for the series premiere of Low Winter Sun:

•10pm airing – 1.8 HH rating with 2.5 million viewers
•10pm airing – 1.4 million Adults 18-49
•10pm airing – 1.3 million Adults 25-54

Was really surprised they went almost 26 minutes with no commercials.
Old 08-12-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Another terrible AMC series.

What a surprise.
Keep coming back every week to tell us how horrible it is.

Originally Posted by boss429
Good to see James Ransone (Ziggy Sobotka from the 2nd season of The Wire) getting some more roles!
Everytime I see that guy, I think he's a poor man's version of Christian Bale.

As for the show, I liked it. Strong and James are always great in whatever they do. Liked all the twists and turns.
Old 08-12-13, 07:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Was really surprised they went almost 26 minutes with no commercials.
They did what they could to keep the Breaking Bad audience. "Stay tuned for scenes from the next Breaking Bad during the first commercial break..."....yeah, 26 minutes in!!
Old 08-12-13, 09:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I liked it. The side-story needs to be fleshed out some more, but that's the only problem I had with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.