Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts

A Great article here. I know I've been saying this for YEARS. That said, I've seen most here say that the reason is "Black Films/Actors just aren't that good". I think many use Tyler Perry films as the benchmark. But there may be some deeper reasons for it.

The article is not short, but it's a good read.

Some Highlights...

Why White people don’t like Black movies.

A vast majority of White people don’t like Black movies because they lack the empathy necessary to identify with Black characters which in turn affects their ability to “suspend disbelief” and surrender to the narrative of a Black film. What has been called the Racial Empathy Gap in various sociological studies conducted by researchers at the University of Milano-Bicocca and the University of Toronto Scarborough have revealed that,” The human brain fires differently when dealing with people outside of one’s own race.”(1) This study found that the degree of mental activity when White participants watched non-White men performing a task was significantly lower than when they watched people of their own race performing the same task. “In other words people were less likely to mentally simulate the actions of other-race than same-race people.” (2)

When we watch a film we are watching images of people doing tasks in the pursuit of a goal to change a circumstance and it stands to reason that if the threshold of empathy in Whites is higher when watching non-Whites perform certain tasks because of the Racial Empathy Gap, then if the Whites are watching a Black film such a high empathy threshold would make the suspension of disbelief difficult and attenuate the pleasure of their viewing experience.
Why do Black people like White movies?

The short answer here is that we don’t have much of a choice.

Many of the big budgeted, summer and holiday tent-pole blockbusters often have a majority White cast and/or feature Blacks and other minorities in supporting or non-influential roles. These blockbusters have massive screen ratios from 2500 to 3500 screens and equally massive marketing campaigns designed to tickle the fancy of even the most discriminating viewers and/or their children. Long running franchises that often begin as White films start to add more color to their casts over time as a way of sustaining and extending their audiences as was proven recently with the Latino upgrades in the blockbuster, Fast and Furious 6. Moreover there is a vast catalog of decades and decades of films where Whites (and ethnicities who feign Whiteness) make up the majority of the cast, often with no Blacks at all or Blacks in menial roles that are still pleasurable to view by Blacks and Whites alike.
Old 08-05-13, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

So...blacks/other minorities have enough empathy to identify with someone outside their race enough to enjoy movies starring these people, but whites don't?

Eh, sounds about right to me.
Old 08-05-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Because in most cases they are preachy movies and black people are willing to put up with it just to see people that look like themselves on screen?
Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think the article has a valid point. However, I think that if we got more stuff like "Fruitvale Station" and less stuff like "Madea's something something" I would be more prone to see these movies. Problem is, the Madea type stuff seems to be what gets a wide release. I feel lucky that I actually got to see Fruitvale in my area.
Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure what this article is talking about. I loved Jurassic Park and that had Denzel Washington in a very memorable role: "Hold onto your butts!"
Old 08-05-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Tyler Perry? Spike Lee?? White guy on the Internet????

Old 08-05-13, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Because in most cases they are preachy movies and black people are willing to put up with it just to see people that look like themselves on screen?
Old 08-05-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I know plenty of crackers that LOVE film noir.
myself included.
Old 08-05-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No, it's because a majority of US made black-based movies are mediocre to poor.
Old 08-05-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
No, it's because a majority of US made movies are mediocre to poor.
Fixed.
Old 08-05-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this Armond White?
Old 08-05-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Latinos have this with Machete. Machete Kills will be interesting. Granted, the whites seeing the film will only pick up on the Grindhouse factor as opposed to all of the subtext and jokes. I remember when the first film came out and whites were pissed at the inclusion of "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us." They called it "preachy" and "politically slanted."
Old 08-05-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think the article has a valid point. However, I think that if we got more stuff like "Fruitvale Station" and less stuff like "Madea's something something" I would be more prone to see these movies. Problem is, the Madea type stuff seems to be what gets a wide release. I feel lucky that I actually got to see Fruitvale in my area.
Like I said, it seems many Whites have this narrow view of Blacks films where they are ALL "Tyler Perry/Madea" clones. The other view is that they are all films with a Church vibe.
Old 08-05-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not sure what this article is talking about. I loved Jurassic Park and that had Denzel Washington in a very memorable role: "Hold onto your butts!"
Old 08-05-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
No, it's because a majority of US made black-based movies are mediocre to poor.

Hey, we still see your(The Royal "your" ) shitty White Movies soooo me thinks the article is on point.
Old 08-05-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Uhhmmm....it was Kevin Hart.
Old 08-05-13, 04:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think if a film is a straightforward genre picture (sci-fi, action, rom-com) then white audiences (and audiences of every race) tend to be more color blind. Witness the popularity of genre fare staring Will Smith and Denzel Washington. Washington has even made films that are nearly all black that while perhaps not being blockbusters, have met with considerable acclaim and/or became cult films (Devil in a Blue Dress, Mississippi Masala, Out of Time).

It's when the "black film" is a comedy or drama that white audiences fail to connect. I think this comes down to fundamental differences between blacks and whites in America. Comedy is a VERY subjective thing and what different cultures find funny differs a lot. The same goes for drama where the conflict in a black film may be resolved in a drastically different way than it would in a "white film".
Old 08-05-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I think if a film is a straightforward genre picture (sci-fi, action, rom-com) then white audiences (and audiences of every race) tend to be more color blind. Witness the popularity of genre fare staring Will Smith and Denzel Washington. Washington has even made films that are nearly all black that while perhaps not being blockbusters, have met with considerable acclaim and/or became cult films (Devil in a Blue Dress, Mississippi Masala, Out of Time).

It's when the "black film" is a comedy or drama that white audiences fail to connect. I think this comes down to fundamental differences between blacks and whites in America. Comedy is a VERY subjective thing and what different cultures find funny differs a lot. The same goes for drama where the conflict in a black film may be resolved in a drastically different way than it would in a "white film".

True, true.
Old 08-05-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The human brain fires differently when dealing with people outside of one’s own race.”(1) This study found that the degree of mental activity when White participants watched non-White men performing a task was significantly lower than when they watched people of their own race performing the same task. “In other words people were less likely to mentally simulate the actions of other-race than same-race people.” (2)"

Wait....then why is over half of my movie collection Chinese and Japanese martial arts movies?

Hmmm....maybe I really don't enjoy them as much as I thought I did. Come to think of it, there are a lot of dumb training scenes with a bunch of Chinese guys, and then they get revenge against some other Chinese guys....I can't even tell who's on whose side...
Old 08-05-13, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I remember when the first film came out and whites were pissed at the inclusion of "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us." They called it "preachy" and "politically slanted."
Well... I wouldn't lump all whites in with Fox News and the Tea Party.

fitprod
Old 08-05-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Interesting article, but I wish it had more examples than people walked out of an old movie at the end of some lecture and some random comment an Irishman made in an interview once.

The Racial Empathy Gap is interesting, and made me think about The Help, which was a huge hit, but not a "black" film under the definitions outlined in the article. I remember a lot of crying in the screening I went to (I'd say nealy 100% old white folk), but I'm curious now what they were really crying about. Was it out of empathy for the black characters, or empathy for the white writer who was trying to help them? If her character had been removed, would the mass white audience still have gone to this movie?
Old 08-05-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Latinos have this with Machete. Machete Kills will be interesting. Granted, the whites seeing the film will only pick up on the Grindhouse factor as opposed to all of the subtext and jokes. I remember when the first film came out and whites were pissed at the inclusion of "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us." They called it "preachy" and "politically slanted."
Wasn't that just one crazy ass white dude who also happens to be a conspiracy theorist nutjob anyway? I think someone here even posted some of his videos in one of the Machete threads. White people can be assholes but not all white people as screwed up as that wackjob.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Hey, we still see your(The Royal "your" ) shitty White Movies soooo me thinks the article is on point.
Black people liking shitty white movies doesn't make them more empathetic. It just means they like shit.
Old 08-05-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Like I said, it seems many Whites have this narrow view of Blacks films where they are ALL "Tyler Perry/Madea" clones. The other view is that they are all films with a Church vibe.
Or they're a remake of a white film.
Old 08-05-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.blackyouthproject.com/201...s-of-all-time/

The 10 Highest-Grossing Black Films of All Time

In the history of American cinema, the great Black films tell a story that challenges perceptions of race and class,
unearthing truths America finds it extraordinarily difficult to accept.

This is not a list of those films.

The most successful Black films of all time tell a very different story.
In spite of predominantly Black casts, these films found success with largely non-black audiences worldwide.

Think you know who made the cut? We seriously doubt it.

10. Are We There Yet (2005) - $97,918,663
Though Ice Cube's wholly forgettable family comedy "Are We There Yet?" was savaged by critics upon its release, it made a hell of a lot of money at the box office. It even sparked a television series on TBS.

9. Little Man (2006) - $101,636,047
Arguably the lowest point in the entire Wayans family film catalog (yes, lower that White Chicks), "Little Man" was a big success at the box office. It also received a whopping seven Razzie nominations, winning a respectable three (Worst Actor, Worst Screen Couple, and Worst Remake/Rip-Off). Congrats, guys!

8. Ray (2004) - $125,305,995
"Ray" conveyed the heart-wrenching journey of Soul legend Ray Charles with originality and style. And Jamie Foxx was a revelation, snagging an Academy Award for Best Actor, and even a Grammy for his hit single with Kanye West (2005's "Gold Digger").

7. Boomerang (1992) - $131,052,444
Released in 1992, "Boomerang" stars Eddie Murphy as a womanizing ad executive who gets a taste of his own medicine when his new female boss turns out to be EXACTLY like him. Great laughs, great performances, and an amazing soundtrack. Can't ask for more than that...

6. Big Momma's House 2 (2006) - $137,047,376
"Big Momma's House 2" is probably one of the worst films ever made. But as with so many other "black" films, it fared phenomenally at the box office. BMH 2 is so bad that its ranked 80th on a Rotten Tomatoes list of the 100 worst reviewed films of the first decade of the 21st century.

5. Bad Boys (1995) - $141,247,413
"Bad Boys" is a pretty solid action film. But it loses points for being Michael Bay's first film; thereby being responsible for some of the most mindless, brainless, loudest, noisiest, most chauvinistic film moments ever. Thanks, Will....

4. Dreamgirls (2006) - $154,965,956
Featuring an all-star cast, fantastic costume design and art direction, and a knockout soundtrack, the 2006 film adaption of "Dreamgirls" was a box office juggernaut and a critical smash. Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy's performances are particularly stunning, with Hudson's now-legendary rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" blowing up the airwaves and securing her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

3. Big Momma's House (2000) - $173,559,438
Released at the very beginning of the busy 2000 summer movie season, "Big Momma's House" was a surprise hit, opening at number two, and nearly toppling the much hyped "Mission Impossible: II" for the top spot.

In other words, blame this for Madea...

2. Bad Boys II (2003) - $272,940,870
"Bad Boys II" grossed nearly twice as much as it predecessor. It's also twice as loud and twice as ridiculous. Roger Ebert named it "the worst film of 2003" upon its release (beating out Jennifer Lopez' legendary flop "Gigli"), and I doubt that anyone who's seen it even remembers the plot.

Did I mention they're making a Bad Boys III?

1. Coming To America (1988) - $288,800,000
Fortunately, we end this list on a good note.

"Coming To America" is a comedy classic; beloved ( and quoted verbatim) all over the world. Eddie Murphy stars as an African prince who comes to New York in search of his bride. It's absurd, culturally insensitive, and absolutely hilarious.

Much like the majority of this list.
Old 08-05-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm really happy Coming To America topped the list. It's a movie everyone can love and it has a great cast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.