TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Falling Skies -- "Journey to Xibalba" -- 7/28/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Falling Skies -- "Journey to Xibalba" -- 7/28/13

Synopsis:

Falling Skies - "Journey to Xibalba" - Sunday, July 28, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-PG-LV

Tom uncovers confidential intelligence about the heart of the alien operation. Meanwhile, Charleston prepares to mount an offensive against the Espheni, but a massive explosion brings the operation to a halt. And the identity of the mole is finally uncovered, but not before more blood has been shed. Robert Sean Leonard and Gloria Reuben guest star.

Directed by Jonathan Frakes

Written by Bradley Thompson & David Weddle

Episode 9 of 10

Next week is the season finale.
Old 07-28-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Falling Skies -- "Journey to Xibalba" -- 7/28/13

I didn't follow how Tom put 2 and 2 together... the black guy said something like "we ended up where we started," and then Tom realized that because he had recently heard Lourdes make the same comment she must be the mole. What am I missing?

I don't believe for a second that Anne and the baby are dead. Were we supposed to think they were really dead in last week's episode when Tom saw them lying there or was that just a dream or some sort of mind trick on Karen's part? I can't recall.

So if I understood correctly, Tom was in fact being held in Boston in last week's episode, which is how he was able to walk past his old house. We know this because in tonight's episode we see him return from Boston in a sail boat, and later he mentions that Karen's base of operations was in Boston. Is that right?

I hope the Volm are not in next season. They look so fake that they take me out of the story every time one of them is on screen.

It's amazing that the bombs Lourdes set off in tonight's episode did a lot of damage and killed a lot of nameless/faceless people, but not one of the regular characters died (not even a useless supporting character like Weaver's daughter).

Anyone know what the title of this episode means?
Old 07-29-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I hope the Volm are not in next season. They look so fake that they take me out of the story every time one of them is on screen.
They look 10x better than most characters of the same make-up in major motion pictures. This is a TV show, remember, not a $100million blockbuster.
Old 07-29-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk God

This was actually one of the better episodes in recent weeks.

Lots of domestic terrorism from Lourdes. Well, I'm glad the mole storyline is over. Took Tom long enough to figure out it was Lourdes.

at the end when Lourdes was antagonizing him and then he takes her laser and blasts the hole freeing them. How convenient.

Looks like a big battle is coming next week. Guess they had to save their special effects budget for the finale.

And again, I don't buy for a 2nd that Anne and the baby are dead. It's just a stall tactic for Moon Bloodgood's pregnancy.
Old 07-29-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Anyone know what the title of this episode means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xibalba

Apparently it's a Mayan word. It means Journey to a place of fear.
Old 07-29-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I think the costuming/makeup for the Volm are pretty good.
Old 07-29-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I didn't follow how Tom put 2 and 2 together... the black guy said something like "we ended up where we started," and then Tom realized that because he had recently heard Lourdes make the same comment she must be the mole. What am I missing?
Tom only told 2 people that he thought Anne and the baby were dead. Lourdes not only knew that private info, but that where we started comment is what prompted Tom to realize she was the mole. Nobody but those 2 people knew what happened or where he was.
Old 07-29-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xibalba

Apparently it's a Mayan word. It means Journey to a place of fear.

You're Bantha poodoo!
Old 07-30-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think the costuming/makeup for the Volm are pretty good.
For a television show the FX and make-up on the Volm look fine. It's a petty complaint when this series has major writing problems.

This was easily the best episode in weeks, we got resolution on the mole sub-plot and nothing felt like filler.
Old 07-30-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
For a television show the FX and make-up on the Volm look fine. It's a petty complaint when this series has major writing problems.

This was easily the best episode in weeks, we got resolution on the mole sub-plot and nothing felt like filler.
It's not a petty complaint if it destroys the illusion by taking the viewer out of the story, which it does for me every time. It just adds to the problems on this show. The other aliens and the f/x are fine.
Old 07-30-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

It's not a petty complaint if it destroys the illusion by taking the viewer out of the story, which it does for me every time. It just adds to the problems on this show. The other aliens and the f/x are fine.

I think they're pretty good and by far my favorite addition to the show.
Old 07-30-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
I think they're pretty good and by far my favorite addition to the show.
To each his own, I guess. I like the skitters and fish heads because they look the least like a guy in a costume. I also like that both species need interpreters; they didn't arrive on our planet conveniently knowing how to speak perfect English like the Volm do.