Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 5 + Series Box Set [Oct. 15]

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-26-13, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://starwars.com/news/swce-2013-s...this-fall.html

No mention of the unaired episodes (which sadly may mean they'll never be shown). Hopefully, they'll be released later.
Old 07-27-13, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 5 + Series Box Set [Oct. 15]

Would be nice if the complete series set includes the pilot movie.
Old 07-27-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, after seeing the SRP of just season 5 at $60 I was expecting the worst for the complete series. $150 isn't that bad by comparison.

Only saw the first season, but enjoyed it well enough I might grab the series.
Old 07-27-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Never watched this, but I'd pick up the complete series set for a decent price. I might wait and see if it drops to $75 before I bite.
Old 07-27-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I might eventually pick up the comets series box set as well. That box art is unbelievably ugly though.
Old 07-27-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy season 5. Stupid to call seasons 1-5 the complete series when it's not true.
Old 07-27-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

At least they didn't make the unaired episodes exclusive to the 'complete' series...
Old 07-27-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the deal with the "unaired episodes?" First I've heard about it.

Did a little poking around with google, and I'm not sure if they are episodes that were never produced or completed, or if they are full episodes that were completed but never shown.
Old 07-27-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd like an answer too. First I've heard of it.
Old 07-27-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're being released as "bonus content" and we don't know how they will be distributed, yet. Some of them may have unfinished animation.
Old 07-28-13, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Did a little poking around with google, and I'm not sure if they are episodes that were never produced or completed, or if they are full episodes that were completed but never shown.

There were episodes in-process when the show was discontinued by Lucasfilm. I've heard between 2 - 5 episodes. From what I understand, they were very near completion.

Even though it wasn't intended to be the end, it was decided that Asohka leaving the Jedi order would be the perfect ending to the series. All episodes that were after that (and intended for the next season) are in limbo. The producers of the series were hopeful those shows would eventually be aired as standalone specials later on (most likely on DisneyXD).

Lucasfilm has very quickly shifted to the new show "Rebels" (which will take place between Eps. III and IV), so the concern is that these episodes will never be aired - after all, why promote something you've discontinued when you're already working on the replacement.

Unfortunately, these sets would have been the best way to get the eps released without bringing too much attention to them.
Old 07-29-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently, my possibly erroneous understanding is that Disney cancelled the series when Lucafilm was going to run it for one more season. They also evidently cancelled the plans for II and III in 3-D, and canned all of Lucasarts. Clearly, Disney's designs for the future of the franchise are very different from those of Lucas. Whether they include the one thing I actually want remains to be seen, but I do feel sorry for all of the people working for Lucasarts, working on the 3-D conversion, and working on the show who were suddenly out of jobs.
Old 07-29-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure Warner and Turner have some sort of rights to all things Clone Wars for the next few years (this video release from Warner supports this) and Disney is just setting the same animation crew on a slightly-different project just to weasel out of paying a competing studio.
Old 07-29-13, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
...and canned all of Lucasarts. Clearly, Disney's designs for the future of the franchise are very different from those of Lucas. Whether they include the one thing I actually want remains to be seen, but I do feel sorry for all of the people working for Lucasarts, working on the 3-D conversion, and working on the show who were suddenly out of jobs.
Honestly, Lucasarts was going to be shut down, wether or not Lucas had kept Lucasfilm. They haven't released a successful game since Knights of the Republic, and Star Wars Kinect was a disaster.

Like you, I feel bad for all the people that lost jobs at Lucasarts.

Honestly, not so much for the the 3D conversions (the people yes, the job no.)... I find that a general waste of time an money anyhow, which was likely part of Disney's decision process at this point.

fitprod
Old 07-29-13, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I'm pretty sure Warner and Turner have some sort of rights to all things Clone Wars for the next few years (this video release from Warner supports this) and Disney is just setting the same animation crew on a slightly-different project just to weasel out of paying a competing studio.
Warner Brothers/Turner only had distribution for the show, they do not own it. As with all Star Wars content, excluding Star Wars: A New Hope, Lucasfilm has full control of the property.

I'm sure Warner still has some distribution deals in place for syndication, but as soon as Disney bought Lucasfilm, the end of The Clone Wars was inevitable. (Even if the show had continued, I'm sure subsequent seasons would have been distributed by Disney, and it would have aired on Disney XD or something like that.)

fitprod
Old 07-29-13, 11:13 PM

I think I'll get the complete series set.
Old 07-30-13, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Apparently, my possibly erroneous understanding is that Disney cancelled the series when Lucafilm was going to run it for one more season. They also evidently cancelled the plans for II and III in 3-D, and canned all of Lucasarts. Clearly, Disney's designs for the future of the franchise are very different from those of Lucas. Whether they include the one thing I actually want remains to be seen, but I do feel sorry for all of the people working for Lucasarts, working on the 3-D conversion, and working on the show who were suddenly out of jobs.

These decisions had nothing to do with Disney. They were made by Kathleen Kennedy, the new CEO of Lucasfilm. The only thing the Disney deal may have had an effect on was that George got out (as he wanted) and Kathleen took over complete control probably sooner than she would have if George still owned it.

Disney was planning on, and would have loved, for the series to have moved over to DisneyXD. The deal was up at the Cartoon Network, so the timing was perfect for the move. Unfortunately, the timing was also perfect for the show to end.

It would appear Kathleen is much more Original Trilogy than the prequels. Unlike George, who was driving the prequels down our throats, Kathleen seems to be happier to just forget them (which is fine for most of us). The halt of the theatrical releases of the prequels was probably due to this, as well as the bombing of Disney's re-release of The Little Mermaid. I just don't think she wanted people going to the theaters to see sub-par SW flicks while trying to sell them on a new one.

"Rebels" will setup the Original Trilogy, so that's much more her focus than The Clone Wars. My hope is that they'll bridge the two series by having Asohka (and maybe Rex) as a couple of the main characters in the rebellion.
Old 07-30-13, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
"Rebels" will setup the Original Trilogy, so that's much more her focus than The Clone Wars. My hope is that they'll bridge the two series by having Asohka (and maybe Rex) as a couple of the main characters in the rebellion.
That's my thinking as well; with nearly a 100% overlap in staff (?), it's hard to see where Rebels will drop every single plot thread and character developed for Clone Wars.

I picked up DVDs for the first few seasons, but I'd be happy to sell them all and update to blu for the whole series, easily my favorite prequel-related media (except maybe the two Tartakovsky microseries)
Old 08-06-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Speaking of, are they ever going to re-release the Tartakovsky miniseries? Or are we out of luck because it conflicts with Clone Wars?
Old 08-06-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Speaking of, are they ever going to re-release the Tartakovsky miniseries? Or are we out of luck because it conflicts with Clone Wars?
Yeah, I think we're out of luck. I read somewhere that it as de-canonized by Lucasfilm; don't know if that's true or just speculation, though. I haven't watched the CGI Clone Wars series, so I am unsure whether or not it conflicts with it or not. Or maybe George just didn't like it and tossed it in the bin with the Star Wars Holiday Special.