Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone heard of Sager gaming laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard of Sager gaming laptops?

I never heard of this company before, but I just found them after a bit of googling for gaming laptops. They seem to be decent with better prices than a lot of other gaming laptop companies like the overpriced Alienware. Has anyone heard of Sager though? I am always a bit leery about buying something from a company I have never heard of before.

I know that for gaming that PCs are much better than laptops, but I want something that is portable. I don't really play many games anyway. The only games I really play are strategy type games like XCom, Civilization, and Total War. So I'm not really concerned about playing the latest and greatest first person shooter at maximum settings.
Old 07-22-13, 09:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Anyone heard of Sager gaming laptops?

My brother got burnt HARD from them. I don't have all the details but the laptop was dead on arrival and he ended up having to reverse charges to get his money back. I think he posted a review here

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sager
Old 07-22-13, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxdvd
My brother got burnt HARD from them. I don't have all the details but the laptop was dead on arrival and he ended up having to reverse charges to get his money back. I think he posted a review here

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sager
Yikes. The average review on that site is 3.67 out of 10. So maybe I should look elsewhere. Are there any good laptops for gaming that aren't overpriced like Alienware? I really don't want to spend tons of money when there's really only a handful of games that I even play.
Old 07-22-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've heard of Sager for a couple of years now. I haven't heard of a lot of negativity around them like the Reseller Ratings link, but I believe Sager takes parts from the company Clevo which sells to a lot of other companies.

If you're not concerned about ultimate performance, I imagine most laptops with a Nvidia or ATI graphics card will be able to play the games you mentioned at a lower resolution and medium settings though, so you don't have to look for a "gaming" laptop necessarily.

You could look at the MSI GE40 which has some flaws but has the most recent Intel Haswell CPU. Or maybe a Lenovo Y500. Or screw it and splurge on a Razer Blade 14
Old 07-22-13, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've heard of Sager for a couple of years now. I haven't heard of a lot of negativity around them like the Reseller Ratings link, but I believe Sager takes parts from the company Clevo which sells to a lot of other companies.

If you're not concerned about ultimate performance, I imagine most laptops with a Nvidia or ATI graphics card will be able to play the games you mentioned at a lower resolution and medium settings though, so you don't have to look for a "gaming" laptop necessarily.

You could look at the MSI GE40 which has some flaws but has the most recent Intel Haswell CPU. Or maybe a Lenovo Y500. Or screw it and splurge on a Razer Blade 14
The reason I am looking specifically at "gaming" laptops is because I would think they that they are likely built with better cooling systems than most other laptops would be. I know that with gaming, heat becomes a major concern, which is one of the biggest disadvantages of a laptop over a PC tower since the laptop is so much more compact. Heat was one of the biggest causes of the huge failure rates (RROD) during the early years of the Xbox 360 until they redesigned it with better cooling.
Old 07-22-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

What's your budget?

Here's a recent article on the top 10 gaming notebooks, with prices ranging from
$1,250 - $4,405:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

Then there's this article on 5 budget gaming notebooks, with prices ranging from $549.99 - $869.99:
http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/...ptops-of-2013/

You might want to check individual reviews for the laptop models and see if there's any benchmarks for the types of games you play for the laptop.
Old 07-22-13, 10:31 PM
Banned

I really don't want to spend more than $1,000. Maybe $1,250 as the absolute maximum limit if the laptop is just something super duper great.

A $4,400 laptop? Geez. Who would spend 4 grand on something that will be outdated in just a few years. It must be nice to be rich enough to wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills.
Old 07-22-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
A $4,400 laptop? Geez. Who would spend 4 grand on something that will be outdated in just a few years. It must be nice to be rich enough to wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills.
That's not even the most expensive laptop out there. I just customized the top of the line Alienware laptop to about $5,000.

Panasonic Toughbooks can be pretty expensive, around $4,500 for the fully rugged ones, but then they are for a particular type of user:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403754,00.asp

This list has expensive laptops going up to $10,000
http://www.clicktop10.com/2013/05/to...-in-the-world/
Old 07-22-13, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This list has expensive laptops going up to $10,000
That's more than I have ever spent on any car I have ever owned.
Old 07-22-13, 11:10 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you might try http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ I bought a gaming system from them and have had no problems..I noticed their reseller rating is solid. I have never heard anything about their laptops, but I see a bunch on their site.
Old 07-22-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
The reason I am looking specifically at "gaming" laptops is because I would think they that they are likely built with better cooling systems than most other laptops would be. I know that with gaming, heat becomes a major concern, which is one of the biggest disadvantages of a laptop over a PC tower since the laptop is so much more compact. Heat was one of the biggest causes of the huge failure rates (RROD) during the early years of the Xbox 360 until they redesigned it with better cooling.
Laptops will get hot, but I don't think its as bad as you're worried about.
Old 07-23-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This seems decent for $849 - http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/9930...750m-windows-8

Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 Memory
1TB HDD + 24GB SSD
14" 1600x900 HD+ Anti-Glare LED Backlit
2GB GeForce GT750M
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
6-cell Battery
Windows 8
Old 07-23-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
you might try http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ I bought a gaming system from them and have had no problems..I noticed their reseller rating is solid. I have never heard anything about their laptops, but I see a bunch on their site.
While I can't speak for their laptops, I've got a desktop from them about 4 years ago and that thing has been nothing but awesome.
Old 07-23-13, 09:33 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

instead of getting a new console, i plan to get a new laptop next year as all of my gaming has shifted to pc. i will definitely be posting here for help. i am a tech moron. I currently have an Asus which I have been very happy with. I will probably be looking at them once again or lenovo.