Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

To those who purchased a Wii U

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To those who purchased a Wii U

Are you happy with the purchase? Or do you regret buying it? If you had to do it all over again, would you? I seriously considered buying one at launch, because its always an exciting time for any new console, but I never pulled the trigger. I'm now looking to wait out a new PS4. Just wanted to hear some thoughts from those early adopters of Wii U. Do you play it often? How many games have you bought? What upcoming games are you excited about?
Old 07-16-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: To those who purchased a Wii U

My wife has put about 150 hours into new super mario and the luigi expansion. So yeah, more than happy. I rarely play it personally, but I know down the line it will have at least a dozen games I enjoy on it as well. If any system I purchase gets $1 per hour of use over the life of the console, I consider it a win.
Old 07-16-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Not at all, I've had it since November for what amounted to 1 game.
Old 07-16-13, 08:59 PM

There are some games I want to play on the system (mainly exclusives) and Zombi U, but everytime I try the controller it seems clunky and just unnatural. I don't know, I may pick one up eventually. I find it surprising that Nintendo has not announced any big time exclusives like Metroid/Zelda to counter the Sony/Microsoft new console announcements. I did own a Wii last gen but it was criminally neglected in favor of the 360 and PS3. Though to be fair the PS3 got about 90% of its use as a blu ray player, and still does
Old 07-16-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping for a "...Wii salute U" punch line.
Old 07-16-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Old 07-16-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by nasesco417
Are you happy with the purchase? Or do you regret buying it? If you had to do it all over again, would you?
I don't regret the purchase, and I'm very enthusiastic about the slate of games later this year / early next. I'm astonished by how comfortable the gamepad is, and if you're big into local multiplayer, I really think the Wii U will be borderline-essential. Playing something like Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed with one person racing on the TV and the other on the gamepad -- no split-screen! -- is a killer app for me. I've used the offscreen features a little. If it weren't generally just me alone in my house, I'd probably be using it a lot more, but since there's no competition for the TV... Nintendo Land teases at some pretty inventive ideas for local multiplayer with different views and different gameplay types, although Nintendo hasn't developed any of that into anything that's must-play quite yet.

We'll see if I stick with this statement, but I will never buy a Nintendo console at launch again. I love Nintendo, and I love, love, love their games, but I don't think they're capable of launching new hardware and supporting it with world-class software at the same time. I mean, I really like New Super Mario Bros. U, and Nintendo Land is pretty neat, but neither of them really knocked my socks off. I bought ZombiU but didn't really play it, and everything else I have for the Wii U are on other platforms too and don't count as selling points. I wouldn't really have missed anything if I'd waited a year.

I'd suggest anyone who's interested wait. There'll almost certainly be a price drop before the end of the year, there's very little to choose from right now, and hopefully there'll be a tweaked version with a gamepad that has worthwhile battery life.

There are a long list of other problems, of course, and I'm not under any illusions that this will be anything other than a console to play Nintendo games. I'm not optimistic that Nintendo will be able to salvage sales with as wholly and completely as they've bungled the launch (confusing name, zero marketing, essentially no software, lackluster online services, inability to convey the appeal of the gamepad, etc., etc., etc.), but I think it'll be successful enough for them to keep supporting it with amazing games (well, I guess they'd have to start that in order to continue it, but whatever). Sorry for overusing parentheticals. I'm tired.
Old 07-17-13, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Haha I walked right into that one

I agree with a lot of your points Adam. I think that Nintendo still has a shot to be a factor in this gen. Most people buy a Nintendo system to play Nintendo franchises games. So far the only one I've heard of coming down the pipe definitively is Pikmin. That's just not going to be a system seller. At least not in the U.S.
Old 07-17-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used it for a few times for ZombieU, but that game was a bit clunky and some of the pad implementation is forced. I do like the fact that Wii games are upscaled to 1080p though.
Old 07-17-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I regret buying the system at launch. If I could start over, I wouldn't buy the system until there was a price drop or enough first party games were released.

I own a couple of wii u games but the only ones that we actually played were New Super Mario and Scribblenauts. No one has used the Wii U to play any games for a few months. My daughter used to play Scribblenauts every day but I can't figure out how to get the damn game to stop freezing.
Old 07-17-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Up until last week it was my Super Mario machine(have Nintendoland, but that's a bust, IMO). Last week I rented Sonic Racing on 360(liked it) but decided to buy it on the WiiU for the tablet MP function. My first game since Mario at launch.

I bought at launch because I figured I would have already played through Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends by this point.

However, I don't regret the purchase. Just like most won't be buying a PS4 & X1 at the same time, I figured it would be better to get the WiiU purchase out of the way so I wouldn't be buying at the same time as one of those.
Old 07-17-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't regret the purchase but it's mostly a gaming system for my kids -- and they love it. Now if you are trying to decide between the Wii U, PS3 or Xbox 360 -- I wouldn't choose a Wii U at all. I do feel totally betrayed by the Wii though -- that system was never used in our household.
Old 07-17-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

It's been a total waste for me. I bought it for the remote play function but the few games I wanted to play didn't offer that feature. All I've played on it since I bought it is Black Ops 2 and Trine 2; both of which I could have played on any other system.
Old 07-17-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Lego City Undercover was a big hit in my house. The kids have also played a ton of Nintendoland. Its a good netflix viewer as well.
I wish they would release a Pictionary game for it. We still play Pictionary on the Wii using the uDraw pad, so a Wii U version that used the game pad would be great.
Old 07-17-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I wish they would release a Pictionary game for it.
It's not a standalone title, but Game & Wario has a Pictionary-style game in it.
Old 07-17-13, 11:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only have three games for it, but I'm sure it will fill out eventually. I don't regret it, but I don't use it very much.

Since I'm not planning on getting an Xbox One for a long time, if ever, the Wii U will be a good complement to my PS4.
Old 07-17-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Since I'm not planning on getting an Xbox One for a long time, if ever, the Wii U will be a good complement to my PS4.
If last gen's ideal combo was a Wii60, is this gen's ideal combo is the PS4U?
Old 07-18-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Doesn't sound like it...