Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

Old 07-11-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q-oBEGF7uwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sony Pictures Classics announced today that it has acquired the North American distribution rights to director Frank Pavich's documentary Jodorowsky's Dune. The documentary was screened in the Director's Fortnight section of the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.

Jodorowsky's Dune chronicles the legendary Chilean director's mid-1970 incredibly ambitious attempt to adapt Frank Herbert's cult science fiction novel Dune. The project was to star Mick Jagger, Orson Welles, Salvador Dali, and David Carradine, and have an elaborate soundtrack by Pink Floyd.

Director Pavich said: "To have my first film distributed by Sony Pictures Classics is a dream come true. I'm incredibly excited to know that we will be working alongside the company that so fully supported such great documentaries like Crumb and Searching for Sugar Man. Sony Pictures Classics has seen that, even though this is a documentary about a never-completed film, it is not a story about failure. It's a story about ambition and how the power of art can effectively change the world".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/
Old 07-11-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE f

The project was to star Mick Jagger, Orson Welles, Salvador Dali, and David Carradine, and have an elaborate soundtrack by Pink Floyd.
Could only imagine ... hell throw Bowie in there !
Old 07-11-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE f

It breaks my heart that this film was never made. What an absolute shame.
Old 07-11-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I would have loved to have seen this, too.

Right along with Boorman's Lord of the Rings and Star Trek: Planet of the Titans.
Old 07-11-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Right along with Boorman's Lord of the Rings and Star Trek: Planet of the Titans.

Wow.

I just came here to essentially post the same thing.

Great minds and all that....
Old 07-12-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Can't wait for this documentary.
Old 07-12-13, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Been waiting too long for this documentary. Finally!
Old 07-12-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

And Cronenberg's Total Recall.

Interesting Articles

The Strange Creatures that Cronenberg's Total Recall Would Have Included
Concept Art By Ron Miller

http://io9.com/5909647/the-strange-c...-have-included

Never-Before-Seen Concept Art from David Cronenberg's Total Recall!
Concept Art By Ron Miller

http://io9.com/5907260/never+before+...-total-recall/

Last edited by inri222; 07-12-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-12-13, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Inri. my mind is now blown.
Old 07-12-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
thanks Inri. my mind is now blown.
What could have been...............
Old 02-22-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

According to my Flixter app, this film opens up in select cities on March 7. I can't wait to watch it!
Old 02-22-14, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a minor obsession with Jodorowsky's attempt to make Dune. I absolutely cannot wait to see this.
Old 02-22-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Cool. Can't wait to see what might have been.
Old 02-22-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

That trailer did not excite me at all ... here is a better one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wRWeh3EnSog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And now for something completely different ... I'm not sure what's up with the Monty Python-esque voices, but here's a different short documentary. Possibly a strange LSD trip on its own ...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vuvd5e6e2EY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-23-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I have a feeling that had this actually been made, it most likely would have been a flop. Sounds stranger than the Lynch version. It seems to have little in common with the book. There is also no way anyone had the amount of money necessary to make this look believable.
Old 02-23-14, 06:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It wouldn't have been recognizable as Dune, that's for sure. But it would have been amazing.
Old 02-23-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
It wouldn't have been recognizable as Dune, that's for sure. But it would have been amazing.
Or at the very least, interesting.
Old 02-23-14, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, for sure. I couldn't imagine this thing actually making good money but it'd sure be one for the history books.
Old 02-24-14, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would have been interesting fer shure (another Jodorowsky head trip) but the casting alone put me off. Never been a fan of Jagger's acting, Salvador Dali (seriously?), and D. Carradine in Frank2000 mode? Ugh.

And what would Orson Welles have played? Narrator...or a Sand Worm?

I'd still like to see Lynch's full version with remastered deleted scenes (the rough cut ones incorporated in the extended cut & shown on Sci-Fy) and with a new soundtrack getting rid of some of Toto's worst moments. Also wish something could be done about the silly prologue.

If I get a chance to watch the doc on EPIX or rent it cheaply, might do it just to hear what Alejandro had planned.
Old 02-24-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, and a wave of cynicism just creeped into this fucking thread for a flick that never got made. Man, you fucks have to complain about everything!

Seriously, Pink Floyd would have done the fucking score. Because fuck yeah.

I'm definitely seeing this documentary.

/rant

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-24-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
And what would Orson Welles have played? Narrator...or a Sand Worm?
Baron Harkonnen probably.
Old 02-24-14, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, and a wave of cynicism just creeped into this fucking thread for a flick that never got made. Man, you fucks have to complaint about everything!
Grok, but you'd probably acknowledge cynicism about a proposed flick about Queen Elizabeth featuring Miley Cyrus and David Hasselhoff even if Terrence Malick were directing.

I'd have watched it but still would be highly skeptical. Have to admit that the sketchbooks, storyboards, involvement of people such as Giger, etc. make it more plausible that Jod would have tried to be somewhat faithful to Herbert's vision. I'm afraid that it might have turned out more like Flash (Ah-aaa) Gordon with a Dino look & feel. But waltzing's for dreamers and losers in love.

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Baron Harkonnen probably.
That would be the logical role, but with Jodorowsky, he could have been playing Paul. Or Lady Jessica. Or the head witch. (posted just to annoy Blu)

Hey, the project could have been financed by Bob Guccione and would have resulted in a cinematic masterpiece!

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-24-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds interesing, but I think that the Jackson films and Wrath of Khan are worthwhile rewards. But it's up there with Vince Ward's original wooden planet idea for Alien 3 as a great "what if."

I'd still like to see Lynch's full version with remastered deleted scenes (the rough cut ones incorporated in the extended cut & shown on Sci-Fy) and with a new soundtrack getting rid of some of Toto's worst moments. Also wish something could be done about the silly prologue.
Wasn't the TV cut of Dune literally cut together without any rhyme or reason? That Lynch worked on that film is fascinating in and of itself, maybe with the right director, it could be done in a modern style like LOTR was or something.

I'd have watched it but still would be highly skeptical. Have to admit that the sketchbooks, storyboards, involvement of people such as Giger, etc. make it more plausible that Jod would have tried to be somewhat faithful to Herbert's vision. I'm afraid that it might have turned out more like Flash (Ah-aaa) Gordon with a Dino look & feel. But waltzing's for dreamers and losers in love.

That would be the logical role, but with Jodorowsky, he could have been playing Paul. Or Lady Jessica. Or the head witch. (posted just to annoy Blu)
It probably wouldn't have resembled Dune and may not have even been any good, but it'd have been a fascinating car accident of a film at the very least.

Hey, the project could have been financed by Bob Guccione and would have resulted in a cinematic masterpiece!
I've never seen Caligula, and I'm not entirely sure I want to, but the behind-the-scene stories about the power struggles on the set are kind of interesting in and of themselves. It's sort of like the Donner stuff on the Superman movies.
Old 02-24-14, 09:12 AM
Banned

Yeah, just to make it clear, I enjoy watching the behind-the-scenes things, too (like the Hearts of Darkness doc on making of Apocalypse Now) along with docs of aborted projects such as Terry Gilliam's Lost in La Mancha. So I'll be watching the doc, too...but are the crazy voices actually part of it or was that a joke?
Old 02-24-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Grok, but you'd probably acknowledge cynicism about a proposed flick about Queen Elizabeth featuring Miley Cyrus and David Hasselhoff even if Terrence Malick were directing.

Only for this project - no others.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.