Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Doug Pinick of Kings X gets hernia surgery via crowdsourcing

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

This is sad. A 30 year career and critical acclaim and he had to raise money from fans for surgery.

----------

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=192064

KING'S X frontman Doug "Dug" Pinnick udnerwent hernia surgery earlier today (Wednesday, July 3). He writes on Facebook: "Hernia surgery was a success; I'm waiting to be released."

Pinnick has been avoiding having a much-needed hernia surgery due to the fact that he didn't have health insurance. He had toured, recorded and rehearsed regardless of his painful condition.

A GiveForward campaign to help raise funds for Pinnick's surgery was launched this past spring and it raised more than $26,000 from 599 donations.

Said Pinnick: ""I am overwhelmed with the amount of love that people have shown by contributing to help me afford my hernia surgery. I have avoided this for way too long and I know that after my shows are lined up, I have to fix this immediately.

"I wish I could say that all the wonderful years of playing in KING'S X were financially rewarded, but it's not the reality. I'm not complaining. I am thankful that I get to make music for people who want to hear it. We will never stop working hard, though, and will continue making music in good times and bad.

"It's a tough business, but it's what we were born to do and our fans have stood by us through it all. Without them we would not be here making music or doing shows. This I am thankful for every day and it's because of our family, friends and fans that we were able to do it for this long.

"I can't thank you all enough for helping me when I needed it the most. Thanks to the people who have never heard of me or KING'S X and donated out of love. I hope I can repay you all someday with a huge hug and continue to make music that makes you think and groove...."

Pinnick released his new solo album, "Naked", on May 7 via RockArmy Records. The CD is described in a press release as "deeply personal and overflowing with [Pinnick's] unmistakable tone, groove, and heart-wrenching vocals. PEARL JAM's Jeff Ament said that 'heavy music didn't start in Seattle, it started in Katy, Texas with KING'S X' and 'Naked' is proof that Pinnick remains at the top of his game."