Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon DOTD: Stargate SG-1 Complete Series: $54.99/Atlantis: Complete Series: $34.99

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon DOTD: Stargate SG-1 Complete Series: $54.99/Atlantis: Complete Series: $34.99

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-13, 06:24 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis

Great prices!
Old 07-03-13, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon DOTD: Stargate SG-1 Complete Series: $54.99/Atlantis: Complete Series: $34

Originally Posted by kd5
Maybe great prices BUT too many complaints of problems with packaging and scratched and pitted discs especially on SG-1 set. Individual season sets are the way to go with these series IMO!
Old 07-04-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Amazon DOTD: Stargate SG-1 Complete Series: $54.99/Atlantis: Complete Series: $34

^This. I'd love to pick up the series at that price but the overwhelmingly bad reviews concerning the poor packaging and disc issues keep my away.
Old 07-06-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^This. I'd love to pick up the series at that price but the overwhelmingly bad reviews concerning the poor packaging and disc issues keep my away.
Re. SG-1, mixed in with the horrible packaging reviews are ones saying they got near-pristine discs provided they carefully removed all of them and put them into separate cases (which is what I'd do). Besides, if you get badly scratched discs won't Amazon allow you to do an exchange (and hopefully ship the new set first so you can keep the best of the 2 sets before returning one)?

To me the bigger worry is... the moment I buy this and pass the return period is the moment they finally decide to release it on BD or in better packaging after saying for so long they had no plans to do so (AFAIK).
Old 07-06-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I bit on the Atlantis set....I think the last time SG-1 was on sale I picked it up as well. None of my discs were scratched....I understand with the packaging being a bit shady.
Old 07-07-13, 05:41 AM
Banned

Quack..."So we buy DVD's...Hey, At least its not Drugs".....PLEASE convince my wife of that!!! Much Appreciated!
Old 07-07-13, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Re. SG-1, mixed in with the horrible packaging reviews are ones saying they got near-pristine discs provided they carefully removed all of them and put them into separate cases (which is what I'd do). Besides, if you get badly scratched discs won't Amazon allow you to do an exchange (and hopefully ship the new set first so you can keep the best of the 2 sets before returning one)?

To me the bigger worry is... the moment I buy this and pass the return period is the moment they finally decide to release it on BD or in better packaging after saying for so long they had no plans to do so (AFAIK).
SG-1 on blu-ray would require just as much if not more work than the TNG restoration at least for seasons 1-7.
Old 07-09-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Quack..."So we buy DVD's...Hey, At least its not Drugs".....PLEASE convince my wife of that!!! Much Appreciated!
Haha thanks I tell my fiancee that DVD's/Bluray's are better than buying a Dunkin Donuts coffee every day like she does.
Old 07-10-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Originally Posted by Quack
Haha thanks I tell my fiancee that DVD's/Bluray's are better than buying a Dunkin Donuts coffee every day like she does.
While purchasing DVDs *can* be somewhat of an addiction I keep these excuses around for when my wife complains:

It's *far* less expensive than either hunting or fishing. If she doesn't believe you take her to the sporting goods section at almost any store and point out a single lure can be more expensive than a DVD. Get a price on a box of shotgun shells. Show her that 14' long boat and motor plus the trailer needed to haul it around. If you *are* a hunter/fisherman then you'll not have a leg to stand on as you'll then be pointing out just how much you actually spent for that fish/fowl/animal you brought home from your last hunting/fishing trip.

It's less expensive than golfing (same exclusion applies as for the hunting/fishing excuse - if you are a golfer don't mention this).

It's less expensive to purchase several DVDs than go to the theater *once* to see the latest film. Of course this mainly applies if you purchase snacks at the theater otherwise it's only a couple of DVDs.

It's less expensive than HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/ETC. *and* the cable/satellite subscription. You *did* cut the cord didn't you? If not, mention that you only keep those for *her* and you'd just as soon spend that extra $$ on more DVDs.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-13, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
While purchasing DVDs *can* be somewhat of an addiction I keep these excuses around for when my wife complains:

It's *far* less expensive than either hunting or fishing. If she doesn't believe you take her to the sporting goods section at almost any store and point out a single lure can be more expensive than a DVD. Get a price on a box of shotgun shells. Show her that 14' long boat and motor plus the trailer needed to haul it around. If you *are* a hunter/fisherman then you'll not have a leg to stand on as you'll then be pointing out just how much you actually spent for that fish/fowl/animal you brought home from your last hunting/fishing trip.

It's less expensive than golfing (same exclusion applies as for the hunting/fishing excuse - if you are a golfer don't mention this).

It's less expensive to purchase several DVDs than go to the theater *once* to see the latest film. Of course this mainly applies if you purchase snacks at the theater otherwise it's only a couple of DVDs.

It's less expensive than HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/ETC. *and* the cable/satellite subscription. You *did* cut the cord didn't you? If not, mention that you only keep those for *her* and you'd just as soon spend that extra $$ on more DVDs.

Good luck!
Many, Many Thanks for the input!
Old 07-15-13, 07:30 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Being a Stargate SG-1/Atlantis fan, I thought the price on these was great and hoped more people might buy into it for the price. Unfortunately I was not aware the packaging of these was the subject of poor reviews (damn it!). I own the individual seasons in the thinpaks (not the repackaged keep cases), if the opportunity presented itself that's the packaging I would recommend although they do take up more space on the shelf. I personally think the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis series' were some of the best sci-fi television made. I hope that anyone who did buy into this and received defective discs were able to get Amazon to make it right for them.