Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How to tell audio format of a Blu-Ray DVD

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-29-13, 07:52 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently, I rented a Blu-Ray copy of "The Call". To my dismay, my receiver would not decode the audio for the movie. I looked at the audio setting for the DVD only to discover it was 5.1 DTS only. My receiver only decodes AC-3. My question is how do you determine the if the audio format is AC-3 or DTS BEFORE you rent the movie? I did not see anything about the audio on the DVD description on Red Box or on the DVD itself and had to return the movie.

Thank You
Old 06-29-13, 08:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
Re: How to tell audio format of a Blu-Ray DVD

probably have to look at retail release review prior to renting.
Old 06-29-13, 09:22 AM
Cool New Member

I looked, but did not find anything to indicate the audio format. Worse case, I could just rent "regular" DVD's. The Sony Blu-Ray does an excellent upconvert. It would be nice if they would let you know.

Thanks
Old 06-29-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If your receiver can't decode dts audio, your blu-ray player should be able to.

If you have your blu-ray player set to bitstream audio output, the audio is directly sent to the receiver for decoding. So if it's dts audio being directly sent to your AC-3 receiver, it won't playback anything.

If you have your blu-ray player set to PCM audio output, the audio is decoded within the BD player, and sent to your receiver as PCM audio, which your AC-3 old school receiver will definitely be able to playback.
Old 06-29-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBandit
I looked, but did not find anything to indicate the audio format.
Most reviews should mention that if you check sites like this one (or High Def Digest, blu-ray.com, etc.).

You could also try searching for the movie at DVD Empire. They have a "see back cover" option that can come in really handy.

Your Blu-ray player might have a way to do that conversion for you. My receiver doesn't decode DTS-HD Master Audio, but my PS3 will, so I let it do the heavy lifting instead.
Old 06-29-13, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all the responses folks. I'll try the PCM audio output and see what happens. It just might work.

Thanks Again
Old 06-29-13, 10:59 AM
Cool New Member

I just looked at "The Call" on DVD Empire, and it did indicate DTS on the back cover.

Thanks once again ...
Old 06-29-13, 01:41 PM
Cool New Member

I tried the PCM setting on "Snitch" (7.1 DTS) and no luck. Still no sound ... guess I'll have to rent "regular" DVD's and let the player upconvert them. What a letdown!

Thanks for the advice anyway ...
Old 06-29-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

My parents had a Dolby-only receiver when they first got a Blu-Ray player, they had to set the player to PCM just to hear anything on DTS discs, but of course just got a 2-channel mixdown that way. Almost all new releases these days use DTS HD Master Audio. I personally prefer uncompressed multichannel PCM, but seems like discs that use that have to also include a Dolby 5.1 track as well for compatibility with receivers that don't decode multichannel PCM (but don't take non-DTS receivers into consideration in this case.)
Old 06-29-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's time to get a new receiver if it can't decode DTS. Most studios these days use DTS-HD MA on Blu-ray.
Old 06-29-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the PCM setting on "Snitch" (7.1 DTS) and no luck. Still no sound ... guess I'll have to rent "regular" DVD's and let the player upconvert them. What a letdown!

Thanks for the advice anyway ...
You can also search at Blu-ray.com. It has details on the audio track for "The Call."

I still think there's a setting somewhere in your Blu-ray player that you're missing. What is the model number of your player, and how do you have it connected to your receiver? I think we can help you sort this out.
Old 06-29-13, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

The Blu-Ray player is a Sony model BDP-1100 ... just your basic blu-ray. I have tried the "PCM" setting in the player setup, but still have no sound from 7.1 DTS DVD's. The player is connected to the receiver via a digital audio cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated ...
Old 06-29-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By "digital audio cable" do you mean HDMI?
Old 06-29-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

That really should work. I have a Sony as well & within the audio setup menu there are TWO options for this. The first available one is to set the HDMI output to PCM. I'm assuming if your receiver is old enough not to have DTS, it probably doesn't have HDMI either, so don't use that one.

A little further down is an option called 'Dolby Digital/DTS. This is the one that will set your optical output to PCM. I'll bet you set the HDMI to PCM & not the optical.

Anyway, give that a shot & good luck!
Old 06-30-13, 12:21 PM
Cool New Member

I tried it, but no luck. If renting "regular" DVD's (upconverting) gets to be a hassle, I may invest in a new receiver. My current one is a Yamaha 2090 ... about 18 years old! It's done well and has great sound ... in Dolby 5.1 of course. Thanks again for the help ...
Old 06-30-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
By "digital audio cable" do you mean HDMI?
Optical would be my first guess.
Old 06-30-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried it, but no luck. If renting "regular" DVD's (upconverting) gets to be a hassle, I may invest in a new receiver. My current one is a Yamaha 2090 ... about 18 years old! It's done well and has great sound ... in Dolby 5.1 of course. Thanks again for the help ...
That thing must be the size of a chest of drawers.
Old 06-30-13, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Optical would be my first guess.
or it could be coaxial with RCA on the ends.
Old 07-01-13, 07:39 AM
Cool New Member

The only audio out on the DVD player is digital audio. I was surprised it does not have optical, but it only has the digital, which is the older of the two. Guess I am relegated to upconverted video with digital 5.1 sound. I can deal with it for now. Thanks again ...
Old 07-01-13, 08:23 AM

The only audio out on the DVD player is digital audio. I was surprised it does not have optical, but it only has the digital, which is the older of the two. Guess I am relegated to upconverted video with digital 5.1 sound. I can deal with it for now. Thanks again ...
I was looking at the player specs, and obviously your BD player has a coax digital output. What are the inputs on your receiver... What is your receiver for that matter?

If you do not have a coax input on your receiver you're pretty much screwed until until you upgrade. That would seem odd to me though, I've never owned a Dolby Digital that didn't have at least one coax digital input... And I've literally had a Dolby Digital receiver since they were first released back in 1995 for laserdisc. Even that had a coax and optical inputs that could be used for DVD.

Make sure you have selected the following in your BD player's menu:
Digital Audio Output: PCM
BD Audio Mix Setting: Off (This shouldn't matter, but do this just in case.)

fitprod
Old 07-01-13, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

My receiver is a Yamaha 2090 with the DDP-1 AC-3 box. That allows the receiver to process AC-3 audio. The input is a digital coaxial and optical on the DDP box. That part is no problem. It's the decoding that apparently isn't happening. The blu-ray player is set to PCM. The blu-ray disk I tried had DTS 7.1 sound. I'm going to give up at this point and just upconvert "regular" DVD's ...

Thanks ...
Old 07-01-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

"AC-3...now that's a name I've not heard in a long time....a long time."
Old 07-01-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

My receiver is a Yamaha 2090 with the DDP-1 AC-3 box. That allows the receiver to process AC-3 audio. The input is a digital coaxial and optical on the DDP box. That part is no problem. It's the decoding that apparently isn't happening. The blu-ray player is set to PCM. The blu-ray disk I tried had DTS 7.1 sound. I'm going to give up at this point and just upconvert "regular" DVD's ...
I would assume that it's your AC-3 box that's not passing the PCM. Try connecting the player directly to the receiver and see what happens.

Going back to DVD doesn't seem like a rational solution. Don't you also have this problem with DTS DVDs?
Old 07-01-13, 06:36 PM

My receiver is a Yamaha 2090 with the DDP-1 AC-3 box. That allows the receiver to process AC-3 audio.
OK, that's why... The AC-3 converter box can not pass through DTS or PCM... It was designed specifically for AC-3 (The original name for DD) codecs.

You really need to spring for a new receiver when you can afford it.

My VSX 99 actually had a DD input, and at least one PCM or Optical input, so I could handle DD & PCM.

fitprod
Old 07-01-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
You really need to spring for a new receiver when you can afford it.
Yup, pretty much this. Even a bottom of the line receiver will outperform what you're using now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.