Burn Notice -- "Brothers in Arms" -- 6/27/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-27-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Synopsis:

Michael must help a prisoner escape from a Russian black site in Cuba, and Fiona and Madeline are tasked with framing a corrupt bureaucrat as part of the plot.

Episode 4 of 13
Old 06-27-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- "Brothers in Arms" -- 6/27/13

They really telegraphed that death. Otherwise, another solid episode and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this is going.
Old 06-28-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked that guy, and I like the way they really seem to be going all out of this final season. It has a darker edge to it, which I'm fine with.
Old 06-28-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeah, this season has a different edge to it, and I like it. Still wish they'd abandon the "guy behind the guy behind the girl" crap. Absolutely worse than a mole in CTU headquarters.

Oh, and Maddie did something stupid again. What the hell are they doing with her character? She's acting like season a season 1 character instead of the character who's been involved in two dozen operations over the years.
Old 06-28-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Damn, this show got dark. Threatening to kill a kid? Crazy.
Old 06-29-13, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, this season has a different edge to it, and I like it. Still wish they'd abandon the "guy behind the guy behind the girl" crap. Absolutely worse than a mole in CTU headquarters.

Oh, and Maddie did something stupid again. What the hell are they doing with her character? She's acting like season a season 1 character instead of the character who's been involved in two dozen operations over the years.
I totally agree. She even mentioned it while they were sitting in the van!

She can get a van across busy traffic and time it perfectly to take the guy out but can't figure out how to not have a gun kicked out of her hand by someone bound and gagged!

I love the direction of the season but we've seen the team go to great lengths not to point guns at children to con the baddies! They are way more clever than that.

A bit to much "What are we gonna do", "That's a terrible idea", "It's the only idea we have" in this episode. They did it at least 4 times.

Last edited by skacore; 06-29-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-29-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah this was another really strong episode. Can't lie though, I'm gonna be sad to see Burke go because I thought Adrian Pasdar did a good job in that role.
Honestly so far this has more like a mini series feel than past episodes. And while I thought that the "guy behind another guy" thing should not of been used, there playing the mystery around what's going on well and I'm actually invested in the storyline.
Old 06-30-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I hope it doesn't follow too closely the whole Simon storyline. Sorry to see Burke go, unfortunately, his sacrifice was needed to show how valuable the Russian girl is. The way Burke made it seem that she was somehow related to him was weird yet interesting.
Old 07-01-13, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Caught up with the last 2 episodes tonight.

That was quite surprising that Burke became a suicide bomber and offed himself. I really thought he was going to be the season villain.

I am a little surprised how Maddie has been shoehorned into the plots this season more.

Why doesn't Michael just tell Fi the truth about his deal with the CIA? She's pissed at him because she thinks he broke a promise to her to leave that life behind, but he has no choice.

I agree with a comment in a previous thread that I can't see the show ending with Mike and Fi not being together.

Overall, a much darker tone to this season as a lot of you have said.
Old 07-01-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
If this wasn't the last season, I'd tune out.
Old 07-01-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Honestly so far this has more like a mini series feel than past episodes...
One thing to note that so far this season, the focus has been on the main story arc much more than any past season. So far, there has been no "help a stranger" subplots, which is what usually drove each episode, with the main season arc largely told in the margins of each episodes. So far this season, the closest has been Maddie having to deal with the Bookie, and even that could be seen as tied to Michael having to leave Miami.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I am a little surprised how Maddie has been shoehorned into the plots this season more.
It makes sense. Michael and the boys have been off doing things in other countries, so besides Fi, Maddie is the only main character left in Miami.

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think this show is getting as dark as the creators originally intended. Looking back at the pilot, it's pretty dark. They lightened it up considerably in the rest of season 1, with the show only occasionally dipping into the darkness the pilot hinted at.

That said, it's interesting to see Michael threaten the kid. The voice-over seemed to indicate that Michael wasn't going to shoot the kid, even if given the order to. But then what? Would Michael have simply aborted the mission and walked away?
Old 07-01-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I gotta admit I figured Michael hijacked the feed somehow to make it look like he was pointing at the kid but was really in another location. I was bummed when that wasn't the case.
Old 07-01-13, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I gotta admit I figured Michael hijacked the feed somehow to make it look like he was pointing at the kid but was really in another location. I was bummed when that wasn't the case.
So was I! Very out of character for him. Fi better never find out he did that. The voice over explanation was a bullshit justification!