Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Captain Planet and the Planeteers' Movie in the Works From Sony

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 07:25 PM

Received 4,636 Likes on 3,138 Posts

Environmental cartoon Captain Planet and the Planeteers is getting the big-screen treatment.

Sony Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the rights to the early 1990s series for an adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy and Susan Montford.

The show was produced by Turner Broadcasting and DIC Entertainment, the latter known for Inspector Gadget and The Real Ghostbusters cartoon shows.

Captain Planet told the story of five teens from around the world -- North America, Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America (if this isn’t tailored for today’s international marketplace, I don’t know what is) -- that are given powers by Gaia, the earth spirit, in order to protect the planet from the devastation of polluters.

When their powers are not enough, the teens combine to summon a superhero named Captain Planet.

The Captain and the Planeteers fought villains such as Dr. Blight, Verminous Skumm, Duke Nukem and Looten Plunder. (The series initially attracted high-profile celebrities to play the baddies -- Sting , Meg Ryan and James Coburn among them.)

A movie adaptation attempted to take form in the 1990s but only reached the script stage. Murphy and Montford developed a live-action series with Cartoon Network in the late 2000s but it never took root.

Andrea Giannetti will oversee for the studio.

Gordon is a veteran producer whose credits range from Speed and Broken Arrow to Source Code. He is also the executive producer behind shows such as Grey’s Anatomy and Criminal Minds.

Murphy, one of the producers behind The Transformers mega-franchise, and Montford are in production on Vampire Academy, the adaptation of the YA novel by Richelle Mead being directed by Mark Waters.
Old 06-27-13, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 'Captain Planet and the Planeteers' Movie in the Works From Sony

Never thought I'd see a movie being optioned from this. Sounds horrible. Though I think it'd work better as a comedy.
Old 06-27-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Captain Planet would be perfect for today with all the Global Warming issues. ManBearPig could be the villain.
Old 06-27-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Never thought I'd see a movie being optioned from this. Sounds horrible. Though I think it'd work better as a comedy.
It was a politically polarizing show even back when. I can't imagine how you script it today without half the country sharpening their daggers.

Which half still being TBA, depending on the tone.
Old 06-27-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

No way that this would be a comedy given the heavy handed environmentalism of the show. Not on Ted Turner's watch. Wheeler will probably still be written as the douchebag American though. People will complain about a lack of Captain Planet due to the fact that he's only summoned like once per episode in an extreme scenario. So maybe that element will be tweaked.
Old 06-27-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only see certain pundits complaining "this is liberal hollywood pushing their global warming agendas", if this indeed comes out
Old 06-27-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Don Cheadle better star.

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/5876f2aced" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Don Cheadle is Captain Planet from Don Cheadle <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2F5876f2aced%2Fdon-cheadle-is-captain-planet&send=false&layout=button_count&width=150&show_faces=false&action=like&height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
Old 06-27-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
It was a politically polarizing show even back when. I can't imagine how you script it today without half the country sharpening their daggers.

Which half still being TBA, depending on the tone.
I didn't know there was any controversy regarding the show. I don't recall anything in the show that was as shocking as the final issue of the comic book where Captain Planet killed each of the villains. I was actually quite surprised by that.
Old 06-27-13, 11:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Don Cheadle better star.
OMG that was hilarious! That had me in stitches. I love those folks at FunnyorDie.
Old 06-27-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Brenda Song looked yummy as a Planeteer.

Oh and, hey, there's a sequel:

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/a2e4c126a8" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Captain Planet 2 from Don Cheadle <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2Fa2e4c126a8%2Fcaptain-planet-ii&send=false&layout=button_count&width=150&show_faces=false&action=like&height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
Old 06-27-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,162 Likes on 908 Posts

Seems like an odd choice to make a film out of. I can't imagine that Captain Planet has that many die hard fans and I don't really see it going over with the mainstream crowds that well.
Old 06-27-13, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I didn't know there was any controversy regarding the show. I don't recall anything in the show that was as shocking as the final issue of the comic book where Captain Planet killed each of the villains. I was actually quite surprised by that.
Wait, what?
Old 06-27-13, 11:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

These videos are gut-busting! Don Cheadle proves he's a great comedic actor.
Old 06-27-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Wait, what?
It was a while back. I think I was still in high school. My mom went to a Capri store (they sell fabric mainly and some other cheap crap) and I found an issue of the comic book at the store. I read it while my mom did her shopping. In the comic, Captain Planet actually murder all his antagonists in different ways (dropping one in chemical waste, blowing up a nuclear reactor with another villain inside, etc.). What was really messed up is that this wasn't a parody and was basically presented as the heroic conclusion to the saga. Really disturbing shit for what was normally such a wholesome character.
Old 06-28-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, RichC2 is right. Cheadle needs star in this movie.

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/fb4f7e685a" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Captain Planet 3 from Don Cheadle <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2Ffb4f7e685a%2Fcaptain-planet-3&send=false&layout=button_count&width=150&show_faces=false&action=like&height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/4f456e13f0" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Captain Planet 4 from Don Cheadle <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2F4f456e13f0%2Fcaptain-planet-4&send=false&layout=button_count&width=150&show_faces=false&action=like&height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
Old 06-28-13, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What was really messed up is that this wasn't a parody and was basically presented as the heroic conclusion to the saga. Really disturbing shit for what was normally such a wholesome character.
I had one of the comics and it ended on a cliffhanger involving Gaia being possessed/evil and she was about to like...seriously injure the Planeteers. I think these comics are in the internet ether somewhere. Marvel was the publisher if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-28-13, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having seen one of the early Robot Chicken episodes where they have Ted Turner go bat sh** crazy as Captain Planet, this movie will never be able to be taken seriously.

I don't think this ever sees the light of day. And millions are sunk into a wasted project.

fitprod
Old 06-28-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83
Captain Planet would be perfect for today with all the Global Warming issues. ManBearPig could be the villain.
Hype
Old 10-17-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

OCTOBER 17, 2016 4:07pm PT by Rebecca Ford, Borys Kit
Leonardo DiCaprio, 'Scream Queens' Star Glen Powell Teaming for 'Captain Planet' Movie (Exclusive)

Paramount and Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way are teaming up to recruit Captain Planet to bring pollution down to zero.

The studio has picked the rights to the early 1990s cartoon series, and is in negotiations with Jono Matt and Scream Queens star Glen Powell to write the script.

DiCaprio's Appian Way, which signed a first-look deal with Paramount in March, will produce the project along with Powell.

There's no word yet on if Powell, who is known for his acting work in projects like FX series Scream Queens and Richard Linklater's most recent film Everybody Wants Some, will also star in the project.

Captain Planet and the Planeteers was a TV show that aired September 1990 to December 1992. It centered on a five young people from around the world who were given magical rings that had the power to control natural elements. United, they can summon Captain Planet, a superhero who helps them fight against environmental evils.

The project was previously in development at Sony but the rights lapsed. One thing intriguing Paramount and Appian was the subversive take by Matt and Powell on the material: sources say the story takes place years after the adventures of the show, with the Captain now a washed up hasbeen who needs the kids more than they need him.

The project and its environmental themes are a natural fit for DiCaprio, an well-known environmentalist who often speaks out on issues such as global warming.

Powell starred on Ryan Murphy's hit Scream Queens opposite Emma Roberts. He was also most recently seen on the big screen in Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some. His upcoming projects as an actor include war drama Sand Castle and Fox's Hidden Figures with Taraji P. Henson and Octavia Spencer. He's repped by CAA, Untitled Entertainment and Bloom Hergott.

Matt wrote the action-adventure reboot of Doctor Dolittle, and penned the script for indie Above the Line. He’s repped by CAA, Bridge Media Partners and Bloom Hergott.
Old 10-18-16, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Checks to make sure it isn't an Onion article... well, Leo's got a lot of $$ and leeway, so if this is really what he wants to invest in, so be it. More interested in the making and release story behind this than anything else.