Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Duck Dynasty season 4 -- 8/14/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Duck Dynasty season 4 -- 8/14/13

Announced with a giant poster on the side of a building in LA. Love the tag line.

Old 06-27-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Duck Dynasty season 4 -- 8/14/13

Let me be the first ...

"Can't wait..."

Doug
Old 06-28-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And here comes the eldest brother.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...DKPTzZ8gYIMI/0

It's Sunday morning, and Alan Robertson, dressed in all black, steps up to the wooden pulpit at White’s Ferry Road Church of Christ in the small town of West Monroe, La. The crowd of nearly 1,500 erupts into applause.

His dad, Phil, mom, Kay, and Uncle Si sit in their usual spots in the back of the massive church, while his younger brother, Jase, and sister-in-law, Missy, sit up front in the third row.

His family is easy to spot, especially for fans of the mega-successful A&E reality show “Duck Dynasty.” Phil, Si and Jase are dressed in head-to-toe camouflage, with their long, scraggly beards resting on their chests. Si removes his baseball cap for the service, but Phil leaves his dark sunglasses on, as they both sing and bob their heads to the hymns.

The Robertsons gather together regularly for church, but for years they’ve been split over the show that’s made them famous to 9.6 million viewers. Alan has never appeared on “Duck Dynasty” — he’s the only brother of the four who’s avoided the spotlight.

Until now.

When the show returns for Season 4 on Aug. 14, Alan will join the cast. He’s hanging up his job as a full-time pastor to work for the family business (duck call manufacturing) as the company’s Beards and Beauty Wrangler — managing p.r. and speaking tours for the family.

The suited, clean-shaven Alan, 47, looks like an overly plucked duck next to his hirsute, hunting-clad kin.

“The beards are so iconic,” admits Alan, the eldest brother, who only lets his facial hair go wild during hunting season. “All this time I’ve been flying under the radar; I can go to Starbucks and get Mama coffee.”

“That is about to change,” Phil says in his deep, Southern drawl.

The Robertsons are a real-life “Beverly Hillbillies,” only set in the South — a backwoods family that struck it rich with their company Duck Commander. “Duck Dynasty” is a hit because the clan combines family values and fun, with night-time beaver huntin’, swamp muddin’ and crawfish suckin’ thrown in. Call them the country Kardashians.

Straight-shooting Phil, 67, is the patriarch who founded the company; crazy Uncle Si, 65, is the instigator, always getting into trouble. Mom Kay, 66, is the cook and caretaker of four sons including Willie, 41, the bandana-wearing CEO; Jase, 43, the outdoorsman; and Jep, 35, the quiet one. All have hot wives, especially Jep, whose spouse, Jessica, is a svelte blond beauty beloved by the tabloid press.

After seeing his relatives’ privacy shot to shreds, joining the family flock wasn’t an easy decision for Alan and his wife, Lisa, who’ve been married nearly 29 years. They fret about the effect the show will have on their two daughters, Anna and Alex, as well as their two granddaughters. Alan’s already worried about his 12 nieces and nephews.

“My children are grown, but all of my brothers’ children are teenagers now, so how is this crazy world going to impact them?” Alan says. “We think about John Luke and Sadie, who are such a big part of the show and they’re teenagers, you know? They need to be just normal teenagers. We pray about that.”

Alan is already traveling on speaking tours with his family — and experiencing the downside of fame. Last week at an event in New Orleans, an overeager fan followed him into the restroom. The man just wanted to ask him questions, but for a second Alan felt threatened. He now warns his security team when he goes off alone — even to the bathroom. And the family has hired armed guards for his teenaged nieces and nephews when they attend church camp and mission trips.

Even so, Alan is happy to join the reality show, so he can spread the word of God.

“What I do for our church — you see, it’s a pretty good-sized church — impacts a lot of people, but because of my association with the show, I’ll get to minister to a lot more people,” he says. “Any person that’s an evangelist, that’s what you want to do, so I had to give this up for something possibly bigger.”

And something possibly more lucrative. The Robertsons have made a ton out of the show through book deals and speaking engagements.

The family has two books currently on the New York Times best-seller list, including Phil’s memoir (co-written by Mark Schlabach), which has been No. 1 for six weeks.

(Phil, however, admits he hasn’t read it. “I dictated it, why should I read about it? I’m sick of hearing those stories,” he says.)

The clan has three more books coming out this year — Si’s memoir, “Si-cology,” in September, “Dynasty Devotional” in October and a cookbook by Kay in November. They’re also singing on a Christmas album coming out in October.

“I thought that was the last gasp of your career, when you’re making a Christmas album,” Phil laughs.

But things are just getting started. Phil says he’s been offered a lucrative deal for another book called “Phil-osophy,” and Alan and Lisa are already writing a book about marriage before they even make their TV debut. Lisa, 47, also says some of the family members have received offers for spinoff shows.

And yet she is still hesitant about stepping into the limelight.

“I’m just worried about coming in and not being able to perform on the spot,” the soft-spoken blonde says. “Everyone else has three years of experience filming.”

Si, sitting next to her, says he was camera-shy when they filmed the pilot. “In the beginning, when we went duck hunting, they would have to hide the camera because every time I’d see it, I’d just freeze up!” he says.

“I guess you’ve come out of your shell now, son!” Phil cracks back.

“When Si messes up it becomes a slogan on a T-shirt,” Alan adds, laughing. In fact, Bass Pro Shops makes a shirt with Si’s picture and his quote, “Hey, hey, all of my stories are 95 percent true, Jack.”

Alan says he thinks A&E will gradually introduce his own daughters into the show. Anna works at Duck Commander now, and Alex is starting a food truck with her husband, Vinny, which they plan to park in front of the Duck Commander store in West Monroe, where lines of fans wrap around the building, taking pictures in front of the wooden, carved sign.

“We’ll have burgers, etouffee and other Louisiana-style food,” Alex says. “It’ll be called Willie’s Duck Diner [after her Uncle Willie]. We want to make it a whole experience for fans that come from all over to the store.”

Family dinners are a big part of the show, and at the end of each episode, the Robertson family prays before the meal — a tradition they insisted on continuing when A&E began filming.

“From Day 1, Dad held up his Bible and said, ‘This is part of our lives, is this going to be in?’ ” Alan says. “And they were like, ‘That’s in, that’s part of who you are.’ ”

And he thinks viewers will see more of the family’s faith now that he’s signed on. During Sunday’s sermon, titled “The Family of Cultural Warriors,” he assures his congregation he will continue the work he started at White’s Ferry Road, the church his father has been attending since he was 28.

“All those years we preached sermons about ‘Grow where you’re planted,’ ” Alan says, as he steps behind the pulpit. “And God has planted us all over the place.”
Old 08-15-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE: 11.8 million viewers. #1 non-fiction series in cable history

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...istory/197848/

Zap2it did a great recap:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...o-us-part.html

Quick summary: Phil and Miss Kay never had a formal wedding, just a quick justice of the peace job. So the children conspired to give them a formal wedding. This meant keeping them out of the house for the day, which fell to Si. Of course, you know what happens when you give him responsibility.

Eldest brother Alan made his appearance as a minister, which he is. Willie had the line of the night. "That smooth-faced man of God has a black belt in purple nurples."

Here's an interesting article that says locals in Louisiana want Willie to run for office.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/re...ngress-102313/

I'd rather he not do it. No one else is suitable to run the company. Let Phil do it. He's not that busy.

Last edited by Traxan; 08-15-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ump-hotel.html.
If this is true, it's pretty funny. "Facial profiling" LOL!
Old 08-16-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ump-hotel.html.
If this is true, it's pretty funny. "Facial profiling" LOL!
It's true; he was on TV talking about it. Hell, he does look like a bum, but I'm surprised the hotel didn't have to apologize.
Old 08-16-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He didn't ask for one. he even said he hoped the employee wouldn't get into trouble.

Compare that to Oprah whining to the press every time she has trouble in a store.
Old 09-03-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GMA did a piece on Si's new book and finally his camera-shy wife made an appearance.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/duck...cenes-20142093
Old 12-11-13, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jessica fine as hell.
Old 12-19-13, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Wow

Is this man simply expressing his beliefs or spewing bigotry?

Either way, Phil Robertson, the patriarch in A&E's "Duck Dynasty," won't be duck calling on air anytime soon. The network suspended him after slamming gays in a magazine interview.

In the January issue of GQ, Robertson said homosexuality is a sin and puts it in the same category as bestiality and promiscuity.

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

When asked what he thought was sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

But homosexuals aren't alone, Robertson said. "Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/showbi...ty-suspension/

Old 12-19-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why is this show popular?

Most of the time I just think, we all like different things.
Old 12-19-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope to hell the family walks out on A&E for this.
Old 12-19-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Duck Dynasty is huge, A&E screwed the pooch on this one.
Old 12-19-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
Whereas I hope A&E stands by its principles and has nothing more to do with this ignorant swamp dweller or his inbred redneck family.
Old 12-19-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
?..this ignorant swamp dweller or his inbred redneck family.
Not even a close representation of the Robinson family.
Old 12-19-13, 12:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine A&E was well aware of his beliefs on the subject (especially considering all the footage that must end up on the cutting room floor) and had probably already warned him about talking about this stuff publicly.
Old 12-19-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whereas I hope A&E stands by its principles and has nothing more to do with this ignorant swamp dweller or his inbred redneck family.
doubtful, you see the ratings?
Old 12-19-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Terry Bradshaw said he was a good QB in college and Bradshaw sat behind in the bench at Louisiana State.

Old 12-19-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I hope people with half a brain stop buying all that duck commander branded bullshit in Wal-Mart
Old 12-19-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

People with half a brain weren't buying Duck Commander branded crap from Wal-Mart in the first place.
Old 12-19-13, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Why Wal-Mart in particular? Their stuff seems to be in a lot of stores (obviously doing the cash in while you can thing).
Old 12-19-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I got the Duck Commander doily and hand towels from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
Old 12-19-13, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason
I hope people with half a brain stop buying all that duck commander branded bullshit in Wal-Mart
You mean you shop at that enemy of progressives, Wal-Mart?

And check out the Duck Dynasty merch while you're there?

Old 12-19-13, 04:59 PM
Banned

Yes, let's hope that A&E stands by its principles of allowing hate-mongering, slandering groups such as GLAAD & HRC to intimidate them and coerce them into reprimanding a person for stating his beliefs.

Interesting that both Wilson Cruz and other critics kept referring to Robertson's alleged "lies" and "outlandish" statements without bothering to point out exactly where the man "lied". Evidently Cruz is the liar here (along with his non-breeding ilk) and can't handle the truth. Obviously, the 'ignorant' person here is Cruz, who seems totally unfamiliar with biblical Christianity yet pontificates.

GLAAD & HRC have nothing to lose since they can't be 'boycotted'. That gives them the advantage of spewing their hate-filled, offensive lies without fear of retaliation from the public marketplace.

Just thought you'd like to hear how the GLAAD & HRC tactics sound when they're turned back toward the source of the hatred.
Old 12-19-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Not even a close representation of the Robinson family.
You're right. They're phony-baloney "hillbillies" who made millions with a simple device that tricks ducks into thinking you want to fuck them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.