Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

White House Down (Emmerich, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: White House Down (Emmerich, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
8.33%
4.17%
16.67%
29.17%
16.67%
12.50%
8.33%
0%
4.17%
0%
0%
Another overlong fate of humanity lies in one person’s hands piece of expensive Emmerich crap!
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 11:12 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"White House Down" (Starring: Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jason Clarke, Richard Jenkins, Joey king, James Woods)

Release Date:
6/28/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for prolonged sequences of action and violence including intense gunfire and explosions, some language and a brief sexual image throughout)

Running Time:
131min. (2h. 11m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Capitol Policeman John Cale has just been denied his dream job with the Secret Service of protecting President James Sawyer. Not wanting to let down his little girl with the news, he takes her on a tour of the White House, when the complex is overtaken by a heavily armed paramilitary group. Now, with the nation's government falling into chaos and time running out, it's up to Cale to save the president, his daughter, and the country.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.1 (4,633 votes as of 7/3/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:61 Rotten:69 (47% as of 7/3/13)

Metacritic:
52 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 7/3/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/73758"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/73758" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="344"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 06-26-13, 11:40 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: White House Down (Emmerich, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Can't wait to actually read reviews on page 10 instead of posts of links from various media sites that I can do on my own. I'm just glad this one at least was created the week of the film's opening.
Old 06-26-13, 12:01 PM

^ who pissed in your cornflakes?
Old 06-26-13, 01:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ who pissed in your cornflakes?
Don't get me wrong. I find a thread like this refreshing when it took until page 9 for anyone to actually review Man of Steel.

People tend to post for the sake of posting on here a lot of the time, most notably review threads and by people who haven't seen the movie.

That was my point. Plus I despise cereal in general. :wink:
Old 06-26-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently 54% on Rotten Tomatoes
Old 06-26-13, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get what you'd expect out of this one. It's a bit crazy and over the top, but a fun ride if you try not to think too hard about it. There are plenty of implausibilities, but not so many that you don't want the antagonists to get their comeuppance.

Foxx and Tatum have a fantastic bromance in the film and I'd pay good money to seem them work together again.

As one might expect, the pacing is frantic throughout, but the wrap up portion at the tail end might be a bit rushed.

The film suffers from a bit too much humor (intentional, and not quite intentional) given the dire circumstances, but overall, is a fun adventure.
Old 06-26-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

No one should go to a Roland Emmerich movie expecting realism and/or plausibility. If their AREN'T huge plot holes/crazy leaps of logic in this thing, I'll feel let down.
Old 06-26-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Don't get me wrong. I find a thread like this refreshing when it took until page 9 for anyone to actually review Man of Steel.

People tend to post for the sake of posting on here a lot of the time, most notably review threads and by people who haven't seen the movie.

That was my point. Plus I despise cereal in general. :wink:
Agree. Don't need a million fucking links to reviews that chances are no one is going to read.

And yes, the Man of Steel thread has turned into garbage.

I was a fan of Olympus has Fallen, but I plan to check this out to see how different in tone it is.

Btw, the other day I was at Best Buy and saw The Mechanic had a $10 movie cash to see WHD on it. Does anyone know the other Sony titles that have it?
Old 06-26-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Decent enough actioner. It scratched my Die Hard itch.
Old 06-26-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The main problems with Roland Emmerich films are that:
  1. They take themselves too seriously
  2. They are overlong

White House Down nicely dispenses with both of these issues. While it's not a tongue-in-cheek film, it has much more (intentional) comedy than any of his films preceding it. And while the 131-minute runtime isn't exactly taut, it doesn't get too bogged down (mostly because it doesn't need to attend to #1).

Tatum and Fox do the best they can with the material, and the movie is almost refreshingly retro: There's nothing here that could not have been done in a mid-80's action film, and I mean that as an absolute compliment.

Still, I gave it three stars because of a poorly handled plot issue (pretty big spoiler here):

Spoiler:
Richard Jenkins is revealed as the ultimate mastermind in the final scene, but there's no emotional resonance to it. Did we care he was the bad guy? It would have been better if we had known he was the bad guy halfway through the movie; this would've stacked the deck further against the protagonists. Instead we have a really silly twist that we don't care about.

and that there is a very low level of rewatchability. (Although I might see it if I run across it on cable.)

Still, this is much superior to most of Emmerich's other movies and it doesn't lose the visual appeal of the predecessors (even if the stakes, visually, are lower).

Recommended, especially for Emmerich and Foxx fans.
Old 06-26-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone see both this and Olympus? Which one did you prefer?
Old 06-27-13, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=The Bus;11745287]
and that there is a very low level of rewatchability. (Although I might see it if I run across it on cable.)
/QUOTE]

A casual glance at my Bluray shelf reveals ID4, 2012, The Patriot, and Day After Tomorrow, all of which get watched at least once a year. Yeah, I think White House Down will be there.
Old 06-27-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
The main problems with Roland Emmerich films are that:
  1. They take themselves too seriously
  2. They are overlong
I think the first point you listed appears to be missing this time, given the subject matter. It seems like the new trailers are making it look like some kind of goofy buddy cop movie. It's a rare request, but this is one of the few times I wish Emmerich had focused on this just being a straight thriller.

I think the first trailer I saw made it look like that, but now I'm seeing Jamie Foxx kicking the bad guy with his Air Jordans.
Old 06-27-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think the first point you listed appears to be missing this time, given the subject matter. It seems like the new trailers are making it look like some kind of goofy buddy cop movie.
The movie isn't goofy. It just injects some humor. It worked for Die Hard and Bad Boys. (Not that I am saying this movie is that good, but the humor is not misplaced.)
Old 06-27-13, 11:36 AM
Banned

Down to 45%
Old 06-28-13, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When wm_lopez sees this movie, his head is going to fucking explode.
Old 06-28-13, 04:54 AM

Well for a "Die Hard in the White House" movie, it was a good knock off. But I was a little stunned how closely it followed Die Hard... From the alternate versions of the Computer Nerd and Argyle, and the "Quarterback is Toast" moment. (You'll understand when you see it.)

I understand that Emmerich obviously no longer know how to do anything original, and I do have to suspend belief for many action flicks, but the way the press and public was handled around the White House in this situation was just a tad beyond, un-realistic.

Not horrible, but a service-able action flick. You'll be fine if you wait for the home video release. (Still a much better Die Hard movie than A Good Day to Die Hard.)

fitprod
Old 06-28-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fitprod

I understand that Emmerich obviously no longer know how to do anything original, and I do have to suspend belief for many action flicks, but the way the press and public was handled around the White House in this situation was just a tad beyond, un-realistic.

fitprod
You just gotta keep telling yourself "Shut up, brain! It's Roland Emmerich, stop thinking for a couple of hours..."

I enjoyed it. It was cheesy escapism and pretty much exactly what I expected.
Old 06-28-13, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
You just gotta keep telling yourself "Shut up, brain! It's Roland Emmerich, stop thinking for a couple of hours..."

Don't get me wrong I got what I expected, but as much as I try, but there are certain things my brain can't shut off logic for... Trust me I knew it was Emmerich being stupid and un-realistic to hype his type of drama, but sometime it bugs me. (Especially since we all know how the government would actually respond to a situation like this... Complete utter lockdown in D.C.)

fitprod
Old 06-28-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X

I tried that with 10,000 BC and just couldn't do it.
Old 06-28-13, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
10k BC was horrible!
Old 06-28-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't remember what I told myself to convince myself to see 10,000 BC, but I've never told myself that again.
Old 06-28-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I would love to comment on the movie, but believe or not the fucking power went out with roughly 40 minutes left. I was at the part shortly after Air Force One crashed. It was citywide so the theater had to kick everyone out and issue re-admission tickets. Damnit that sucked!! I enjoyed what I saw.

Guess I will attempt to see it again, but show up late.
Old 06-28-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I don't remember what I told myself to convince myself to see 10,000 BC, but I've never told myself that again.
At least you didn't like it. Then, we'd have to take you to the old folk's home and leave you there.
Old 06-28-13, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

10,000 BC was a total misfire. Not sure what they were trying to do with that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.