Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ray Donovan -- Series Premiere -- "The Bag Or The Bat" -- On Demand, Online, 6/30/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ray Donovan -- Series Premiere -- "The Bag Or The Bat" -- On Demand, Online, 6/30/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts

Synopsis:

Set in the sprawling mecca of the rich and famous, RAY DONOVAN stars Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R) Award nominee Liev Schreiber in his first lead television role as LA's best professional fixer. Ray is the man called in to make the city's celebrities,' superstar athletes,' and business moguls' most complicated and combustible situations go away. This powerful drama unfolds when his father, Mickey Donovan, played by Oscar(R) winner Jon Voight, is unexpectedly released from prison, setting off a chain of events that shakes the Donovan family to its core. RAY DONOVAN is created and executive-produced by Ann Biderman (Southland), who also wrote the pilot episode. The series is also executive produced by Mark Gordon and Bryan Zuriff. RAY DONOVAN is a SHOWTIME(R) production and the pilot was directed by Allen Coulter (The Sopranos, Sons Of Anarchy), who also serves as producer on both the pilot and the second episode of the series.

12 episodes ordered. Will officially premiere next Sunday after Dexter.

However, Showtime has already released an early preview of the 1st episode.

You can watch it here from Showtime's website:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2477158046001&playerID=34762744001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAB_0P_tk~,Ddi_5nC928wPX81oHc0KeP785lIzxMa6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2477158046001&playerID=34762744001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAB_0P_tk~,Ddi_5nC928wPX81oHc0KeP785lIzxMa6&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Youtube, On Demand, or on Directv's Audience Network.

One catch though, the free preview is the edited version. It's TV-14, the series is actually TV-MA.

Here's the Trailer:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2350556031001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2350556031001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 06-24-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ray Donovan -- Series Premiere -- "The Bag Or The Bat" -- On Demand, Online, 6/30

^ I'm curious if the "free preview" version would cut out the violence
Old 06-24-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: Ray Donovan -- Series Premiere -- "The Bag Or The Bat" -- On Demand, Online, 6/30

I watched it on Audience. at the editing, particularly in the weirdo stalker's apartment.
Old 06-24-13, 08:40 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I had always planned on watching this just from Liev's involvement. I never even watched a trailer until now. I had no idea Jon Voight was in it. And man...Paula Malcolmson looks goooood with the red hair.
Old 06-24-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
And man...Paula Malcolmson looks goooood with the red hair.
She really lays the Boston accent on thick.
Old 06-24-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Might check this out but so far the previews don't do much for me. I'll probably watch a few at least though since it airs the same night as Dexter and right now I don't watch much on Sunday's.
Old 06-24-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't watch the edited version. That trailer was pretty hilarious how all the F bombs were dropped out.

I'll wait until next Sunday.
Old 06-25-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if you have Showtime On Demand the TV-MA version is on there
Old 06-25-13, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. Same ol' same ol' (conflicted home life, damaged family members, estrangement with dad, yada yada).

Yeah, shows need conflict, but could we see something different? Seen this with Homeland, Lights Out, The Amerikans, etc....just to name a recent few. And those were shows with better plots and likeable main characters.

And it's early, but do we really need another show about despicable characters? Ray obviously has skills to get a decent job...so, if he's such a good family guy, why does he go around cleaning up messes for a-holes? And if he loves his family so much, why can't he keep his junk in his pants? Absolutely no respect for this character. Schreiber deserves better material.

Like all of the cast (actors)...just not the characters. Showtime seems fixated on really rotten characters (Californication, House of Lies, Weeds, Ray Donovan, even Nurse Jackie with her cheating and addictions). At least Tara & Dexter have mental illnesses which made them sympathetic...these other idiots really own their problems and embrace them. The Borgias and the Shameless gang are a lot more sympathetic than some of these jerks.

Didn't know what to expect but was hoping for more. It's regrettable that shows with more potential (HBO's Luck) got canceled due to unfortunate circumstances.
Old 06-27-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ a show on pay cable tv where the main character doesn't try to fuck anything that moves? good luck w that
Old 06-27-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 859 Likes on 601 Posts

I kind of had the same impression as creek... there's really nothing fresh here. In fact, it seems like it's combining a few shows together... Entourage for the hollywood/agent thing, the violent family thing we've seen, main character who's damaged, and an estranged father.

It just feels like it's trying to hard to draw fans of a bunch of other shows.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not holding out much hope.
Old 06-28-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a mixed bag to be sure, but LS underplays it and is excellent as the lead.
Old 06-30-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

The Official premiere is tonight at 10pm after Dexter
Old 06-30-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

I didn't like this very much at all.
Old 06-30-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Love the premiere and looking forward for more episodes.

Ray: He is the best thing to happen to me
Ray's Wife: Thanks alot, Ray!
Ray: Shut the fuck up
They both start to make out....

I love the boston accents.
Old 06-30-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

DJariya calls "Ray Donovan" one of the 50 best new TV shows of the year.

Thought it was pretty good. I'll stick with it for a while.
Old 06-30-13, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boring.
Old 06-30-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts

I didn't like it either. Not going to bother adding it to my DVR list, and doubt I'll bother watching any more episodes.

Seemed like "House of Lies" done as a drama. It's about a guy who helps rich assholes get out of trouble. I'm not sure why Showtime thinks people want to be shows like this. Next week, the Koch Brothers kill a prostitute, and Ray Donovan gets rid of the body! Yeah, people are going to line up to watch this.
Old 06-30-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Enjoyed it. In for the season.
Old 06-30-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I also got the feeling of 'same old, same old' while watching this. I didn't hate it. Liev Schrieber and Jon Voigt were great. I really liked the understated portrayal of Ray Donovan.

I'll stick with it for a few more episodes to see where it goes but it certainly didn't grab me.
Old 07-01-13, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it a lot.

Liev Schreiber was fantastic. I like shows that chronicle dark and shady characters and I thought this 1st episode did a good job setting everything up. This is obviously a show that you will either resonate with right away or not.

at Paula Malcomson's really over the top Bostonian accent. I'm not really a fan of hers, but she did look good with the red hair.

at Ray pulling over to get he BJ from the blonde hottie.

and what the hell was up with the green paint with that stalker?

Liked the introduction to Voight's character. Should make for an interesting dynamic. Here's a question, how is Mickey able to travel to Los Angeles while on Parole? I thought you couldn't travel or leave the state while on parole. I could be mistaken.

Anyways, I'm in for the season. I also noticed this show was created by Ann Biderman, who created Southland.
Old 07-01-13, 05:58 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

This was just all over the place... As people are saying...it's like multiple shows combined in to one. I'd like to see a show just about a fixer. I don't need this crazy daddy storyline.

Also... soooo... his entire family moved with him from Boston?
Old 07-01-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...iewers/189861/

2.22M viewers watched last night (including the re-airs)

Highest ratings for a Showtime series premiere.
Old 07-01-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
and what the hell was up with the green paint with that stalker?

Liked the introduction to Voight's character. Should make for an interesting dynamic. Here's a question, how is Mickey able to travel to Los Angeles while on Parole? I thought you couldn't travel or leave the state while on parole. I could be mistaken.

Anyways, I'm in for the season. I also noticed this show was created by Ann Biderman, who created Southland.
The guy could either take a beating or suffer walking around for a few weeks looking like a scrawny hulk (it was dye, not paint).

And it's not like airlines check parole records, it's up to the parolee to follow the terms of his release.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-05-23)