Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of the Ignore functionality

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

In the Man of Steel thread, I'm finding it difficult to engage in a discussion with a particular user because I know I am on their "ignore" list. They are posting points that I wish to respond to (in the interest of discussion) and if I do so, it's falling on deaf ears. No answers, no rebuttal, no discussion.

This seems silly to me. We are all adults, and if we have a problem with a particular poster, it's easy enough to simply ignore them yourself rather than make the forum software do it for you. It completely kills any momentum when only one side can hear the other. I don't have anyone on Ignore despite many posters who piss me right off.

I'm really curious what justification can be given to allow members to participate in a discussion forum where they can tailor-pick their audience.
Old 06-22-13, 03:39 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Getting rid of the Ignore functionality

We've found that it's one way to stop 2 posters from constantly fighting to the point where it either derails the thread or leads to one of both of them being suspended.

My advice would be to keep replying to the person who has you blocked. Even if they don't respond to you, someone else in the thread might because you made a useful point.

I'm always open to suggestions, but my first thought is that the ignore feature helps in keeping personal attacks at a minimum. Not sure how everyone else feels about this.
Old 06-22-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
In the Man of Steel thread, I'm finding it difficult to engage in a discussion with a particular user because I know I am on their "ignore" list. They are posting points that I wish to respond to (in the interest of discussion) and if I do so, it's falling on deaf ears. No answers, no rebuttal, no discussion.

This seems silly to me. We are all adults, and if we have a problem with a particular poster, it's easy enough to simply ignore them yourself rather than make the forum software do it for you. It completely kills any momentum when only one side can hear the other. I don't have anyone on Ignore despite many posters who piss me right off.

I'm really curious what justification can be given to allow members to participate in a discussion forum where they can tailor-pick their audience.
Short of one person who proudly boasts about their ignore list, how do you know that they aren't simply doing what you said and visually ignoring your posts? And, if it is that one person, who cares? (Plus, he reads the people he ignores anyway.)

Last edited by Pizza; 06-22-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
We've found that it's one way to stop 2 posters from constantly fighting to the point where it either derails the thread or leads to one of both of them being suspended.
I understand that but to me, that's what moderators are for. If two people can't get along, then action should be taken. Maybe they'll learn not to mess with each other. There are posters on this board who's very names upset me but I can still control myself.

My advice would be to keep replying to the person who has you blocked. Even if they don't respond to you, someone else in the thread might because you made a useful point.
But if I want to address their specific point, I'm talking to a vacuum. I've been choosing to not post at all instead.[/quote]

I'm always open to suggestions, but my first thought is that the ignore feature helps in keeping personal attacks at a minimum. Not sure how everyone else feels about this.
I would hope that general maturity could keep personal attacks at a minimum rather than virtually plugging your ears.
Old 06-22-13, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I agree that it can be useful, and I don't think removing features of the site is a good idea. However, perhaps we can put a limit to the amount of people a person can ignore. Maybe cap it at 5? That makes a person really think about who they're ignoring and why, and you can't just ignore with impunity. The ignore list should be for people whose posts make you burn with a white hot rage, not "Oh, someone made a snarky comment or I disagree with their stance on abortion".
Old 06-22-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I agree that it can be useful, and I don't think removing features of the site is a good idea. However, perhaps we can put a limit to the amount of people a person can ignore. Maybe cap it at 5? That makes a person really think about who they're ignoring and why, and you can't just ignore with impunity. The ignore list should be for people whose posts make you burn with a white hot rage, not "Oh, someone made a snarky comment or I disagree with their stance on abortion".
Perfection.
Old 06-22-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed - that would be more acceptable. If you can't handle dozens of people on the board...maybe you're on the wrong board.
Old 06-22-13, 04:12 PM

But I imagine that is how most people currently use the ignore list. Like I said, outside of one person who thrives on the ignore button why care how people use it? Most people come here to enjoy themselves and not do battle. If someone is overly sensitive then let them block away.
Old 06-22-13, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
But I imagine that is how most people currently use the ignore list. Like I said, outside of one person who thrives on the ignore button why care how people use it? Most people come here to enjoy themselves and not do battle. If someone is overly sensitive then let them block away.
The point is to impress upon people that the ignore function is a last resort, not a go to move.

To that end, I also think that if you ignore someone, you shouldn't have the option to read their posts at all. Right now, if you ignore someone, you can still choose to read what they write on a post by post basis. I think, if you're really going to the extreme of ignoring someone, you shouldn't have the option to read what they write unless you go to the trouble of taking them off your ignore list, and open yourself up to everything they write.
Old 06-22-13, 04:38 PM

The point is to impress upon people that the ignore function is a last resort, not a go to move.

To that end, I also think that if you ignore someone, you shouldn't have the option to read their posts at all. Right now, if you ignore someone, you can still choose to read what they write on a post by post basis. I think, if you're really going to the extreme of ignoring someone, you shouldn't have the option to read what they write unless you go to the trouble of taking them off your ignore list, and open yourself up to everything they write.
I think the option should be left in the hand of the user whether it's a last resort or a got to move. It's freedom of choice on how to use this site, why feel the need to force folks into it? Let them be bliss in their readings. I'd imagine it's only a few who block a bunch of folks. If it's stressing the system somehow then I could understand. Granted, I find bragging about using it is silly but whatever. It's their life and ultimately it really doesn't affect me. I'd rather have someone ignore me than constantly get in my face.
Old 06-22-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pizza
I think the option should be left in the hand of the user whether it's a last resort or a got to move. It's freedom of choice on how to use this site, why feel the need to force folks into it? Let them be bliss in their readings. I'd imagine it's only a few who block a bunch of folks. If it's stressing the system somehow then I could understand. Granted, I find bragging about using it is silly but whatever. It's their life and ultimately it really doesn't affect me. I'd rather have someone ignore me than constantly get in my face.
I'm saying it's ridiculous to have a discussion board where members aren't interested in discussing things with the other members. Just write a blog if you want to post in a vacuum.
Old 06-22-13, 05:03 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Me too, I hate the wife silent treatment to follow me to DVDTalk
Old 06-22-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Two problems we have here:

1) Ignore feature is getting abused.

2) Person abusing it is also bragging about it publicly.
Old 06-22-13, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignore lists shouldn't be capped. Seriously. I've run up obscene numbers in other forums, and it was good. It kept me from reading the crap from people who I felt posted nothing but crap. It kept me from mouthing off and insulting people. It kept them from being able to PM me, which became a go-to move if someone would solicit me on a sale and then disappear from the face of the Earth, or constantly lowball me. Bam, problem solved, they ain't getting shit.

OP, you got put on ignore list. Perhaps you should look into why someone would want to ignore you, rather than try to get the feature removed entirely because someone doesn't like you. Some of us have a valid reason to use the system, and it prevents us from getting warnings/infractions/suspensions/bans. You're (more than likely) an adult, so just accept it and move on, man. If someone doesn't want to talk to you, don't try to forum rape them and MAKE them. No means no, even in Spanish.
Old 06-22-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, if you are having to ignore a bunch of posters, you're on the wrong board.

I couldn't care less about being on someone's list. I do think it's a dumb feature for a discussion board since it limits discussion.
Old 06-22-13, 07:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I opened this thread and don't see a single post, except Mallet's. Hrm.
Old 06-22-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry, if you are having to ignore a bunch of posters, you're on the wrong board.

I couldn't care less about being on someone's list. I do think it's a dumb feature for a discussion board since it limits discussion.
Seconded. If you can't handle being on a forum without having to ignore numerous posters, you're doing something wrong.
Old 06-22-13, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this site wanted to fix the ignore feature, it could do so by making it so people do not see ignored users' posts when they are quoted by non-ignored members. I've seen extensions on browsers that do that nicely, though I've not seen it on any VBulletin site. Or, it could do like other VBulletin forums and add the ignore option to the dropdown options when you click on a user's name, instead of having to go into your control panel.

Ed, some people are on forums for information, and block people who habitually post bullshit that has nothing to do with the thread. Some users grow reputations, too, and I know people have Manzana on ignore. Personally, I love his rants, it's like he has the world's worst karma, it makes me feel better about my own experiences with stores, but I can see how others would block him.

If I could boil my point down to one sentence, I'd take the classic take of the needs of the many over the needs of a few. No one else is complaining about the feature.
Old 06-23-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran across someone a couple months ago I wanted to hit the ignore button on but then saw it doesn't exist. First time at any forum I've ever been to where I wanted to do that and I've been on the internet for 20 years.

I'd rather give people the option to ignore how they want instead of not giving them the ability, or capping it, since it'll just give them a reason to leave the forum. Based on how slow the activity has been getting over the last couple years, it makes sense to try and keep people.
Old 06-23-13, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would you want to force someone to read posts that they don't want to read? What if they can read it but still choose to ignore you, should they also be forced to respond to you? Should lurkers be forced to post or else be banned since are not contributing to this discussion forum? People use forums in their own ways and limiting these ways will certain drive them off to different forums without such restrictions.
Old 06-23-13, 02:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What important things are you posting that the other person must read? What's to stop them from skipping over your posts? The ignore list is a nice option if somebody chaffs your hide but isn't breaking any rules...and if you don't have the self-control to just ignore them manually.
Old 06-23-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The ignore function can also be useful to block posters who monopolize conversations. Sometimes you just get sick of these people who constantly post the same stuff back and forth or clutter up conversations.

Like the "Man of Steel" thread, for example. Or having Supermallet and Vibiana battling valiantly against the champions of traditional values. After a while, the signal to noise ratio falls off the cliff.
Old 06-23-13, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this is the "fuck Spottedfeather over thread" eh?
Old 06-23-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

1) why is it last resort? why should it matter how someone else chooses to read the forum? they could ignore your posts without the button, should they be forced to respond to your posts?

2) I have had people on ignore as a reminder to me, the extra step in clicking to view their posts reminds me not to take their bait.

I'm really at a loss as to why some of you feel so strongly about how other people should be allowed to read the forum. Are you going to tell them how to post, too? Should we limit the length of their posts, or force them to post replies to your posts?

I couldn't care less about being on someone's list.
the evidence says otherwise.
Old 06-23-13, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be that the ignore function is well a pussy move. And from the looks of it appears to be abused cuz people are bitches. Also it seems to be a pain when you're in a discussion and one side can't see the other.

Why the fuck would someone get so riled up over some anonymous fuck on the Internet? Suck it up and move on, motherfuckers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.