Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Futurama -- The Final Season Thread -- Summer 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Futurama -- The Final Season Thread -- Summer 2013

"Futurama" rockets into space for the (second) final time as the Emmy(R) Award-winning series will conclude its long history with this summer's all-new season. The thirteen-episode summer run will premiere on COMEDY CENTRAL with back-to-back episodes on Wednesday, June 19 at 10:00 p.m. with the emotional series finale scheduled for September 4. Special guest stars for the final season include Larry Bird, Dan Castellaneta, Sarah Silverman, George Takei, Adam West and Burt Ward. The show's entire original voice cast will be returning. Including the yet-to-air season, this will bring the total number of episodes in "Futurama's" storied history to 140. "I'm very proud of the upcoming season. If this is indeed the end of 'Futurama,' it's a fantastic finish to a good, long run," said creator and Executive Producer Matt Groening.

Figured that some here would probably want to talk about the show since it's the final season.

Premieres tonight.
Old 06-19-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Futurama -- The Final Season Thread -- Summer 2013

Sad it is coming to an end.
Old 06-20-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also am a sad banana...wish it would continue somewhere else.
Old 06-20-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

The 2D discussion was good.

at the monkey smoking a cigarette hosing down the entire room after Fry and Leela departed.
Old 06-20-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Those were both fun, but I liked the Fast and Furious episode best. Speed Buggy and the Mach Five - NOOOooooo!
Old 06-21-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost it at Speed Buggy, what a great reference. I also like how they've always been fair with the atheism vs. religion argument (this time taking a bit of a stab at atheism with "Four dimensions... I can't picture that... you're an IDIOT!), then a few moments later taking a stab at fundamentalists ("Three dimensions... I can't picture that. He's opening our minds to new ideas, kill him!)

As someone who refuses to watch the Fast & Furious movies, was the (verbal) abuse running joke something from that series?

And how glorious to see Gunter and Professor Banjo again. Lots of great callbacks to other episodes, including Sean and the various zoo animals.

Last edited by Numanoid; 06-22-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I liked how the people from the race club were exactly like the crew from Planet Express, only hardcore versions of them.
Old 06-22-13, 06:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It was the unspoken verbal abuse... LOL.
Old 06-28-13, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shady12
I also am a sad banana...wish it would continue somewhere else.
Sigh...yeah when theyh release this as Volume 8 on disc (how I watch cable tv) it'll be a sad day.

I heard Adult Swim was going to be getting this before Comedy Central outbid them...and now they cancel it...
Old 06-29-13, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wz42
I heard Adult Swim was going to be getting this before Comedy Central outbid them...and now they cancel it...
After making 52 episodes. That's not bad.
Old 06-29-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I can't complain too much. The show got a second life. And we got some great episodes.

Besides, the last episode was made to serve as a series finale if necessary. Just like they did with Fox. It may live again in some form.
Old 06-29-13, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Besides, the last episode was made to serve as a series finale if necessary. Just like they did with Fox. It may live again in some form.
I'm hoping Adult Swim is still interested...either that or a Kickstarter where fans can pay in advance for the DVDs/Blus or digital downloads.
Old 06-29-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

10 years ago Futurama was costing Fox $1 million an episode. I'm sure it's gone up since then, but using that figure you'd be looking at a $12-$13 million dollar Kickstarter.
Old 06-29-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
10 years ago Futurama was costing Fox $1 million an episode. I'm sure it's gone up since then, but using that figure you'd be looking at a $12-$13 million dollar Kickstarter.
A million bucks an episode? No wonder there's so much reality tv
Old 06-30-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

10 years ago Futurama was costing Fox $1 million an episode.
Cost in both hand-drawn and CGI animation have come down a lot since then.

Also, I remember reading how they had to slash their budget once CC picked them up, even though the show looked no different - probably better.
Old 06-30-13, 12:10 PM

It wouldn't have to be the full amount would it since if it lowered the production costs even by half then it may make either Comedy Central or another network (Adult Swim, WGN America etc) more interested?

As far as the costs you quote I've read they peared back the budget going over to ComCentral so lets say that negates inflation making the $1mil/ep current.

Then if they dropped the episodes down to 10 eps that'd be $10mil. If half was covered by a Kickstarter the other have may be more doable by a smaller net like WGN. Heck Prospect Park brough back soaps.

I've also wondered why they've never sold the brand more for Futurama like The Simpsons and Family Guy. I've never seen Futurama tshirts being pumped out at places like Sears or WalMart for example.
Old 07-21-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the scooby doo spoof was awesome. Loved how they mocked the laugh track
Old 07-21-13, 11:24 AM

Simpsons/Futurama crossover next year
Old 07-21-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt

George Takei: "No...I'm mentally ill." I lost it.
Old 07-22-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt

I loved all the spoofs. Fun episode.
Old 07-22-13, 08:26 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It was funny reading some reactions on line about the Saturday morning cartoon spoofs. It was torn apart and called one of the worst episodes.

I enjoyed it, though. It brought back that saturday morning feeling from my youth. The Scooby Doo spoof was great and had all the elements of the show, while still mocking it. Especially the laugh track which laughed at stuff for no reason. Didn't care as much for the Strawberry Shortcake spoof.. Though they did work in the product placement/breakfast cereal tie-in. The GI Joe one was pretty funny with trying to MST3K the dialogue to clean it up a bit.
Old 07-22-13, 09:21 AM

I thought the funniest part of the Scooby Doo parody was the hallway gag. You have an expectation when you see that hallway with multiple doors, but then they did the opposite.
Old 07-22-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
It was funny reading some reactions on line about the Saturday morning cartoon spoofs. It was torn apart and called one of the worst episodes.
What sort of humorless asshat would say that?
Old 07-22-13, 10:14 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
What sort of humorless asshat would say that?
One site that I can recall quickly, as I have their page followed on Facebook, was the A.V. Club.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/satur...fun-pit,99823/

Spoiler:
by Dennis Perkins July 18, 2013

(A disclaimer before the review proper begins from this week’s substitute reviewer: I have loved Futurama almost without reservation since the show began. It is one of my favorite animated shows, if not sitcoms of any kind, ever. That being said…)

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Let me explain.

One of the chief delights of Futurama’s anything-goes world is the freedom it affords the show’s writers to take the show and its characters in literally any direction from episode to episode. Want Bender to become a famous chef? Sure. The Harlem Globetrotters are the hoop-playing emissaries of the Globetrotter Homeworld, come to Earth to challenge us to a game of basketball? Why not? Fry ate a toilet sandwich, got impregnated with alien worm eggs, and became super-intelligent? Done and done. The fact that Futurama has drawn its characters so well over the years, and is generally written so smartly, has grounded each loopy concept in emotional and comic reality as well, imbuing all but the the rarest misfire (Bender as space pharaoh comes to mind) with both heart and laughs aplenty.

Even when the show follows The Simpsons’ lead into standalone stunt episodes (like “Anthology Of Interest,” home of the finglonger), the segments have enough snap and cleverness to the writing that the pastiches involved are a delight—a breezy goof sprung from a writers’ room overflowing with great, silly ideas.

And then there’s “Saturday Morning Fun Pit,” which seems less like the result of the Futurama writers having a surplus of weird concepts that just wouldn’t fit in with the ongoing storylines of the show’s final season and more like a strained and unsuccessful attempt to recapture what’s worked in the past. Unfortunately the episode, credited solely to the generally dependable Patrick Verrone (he wrote “The Problem With Popplers,” for Scruffy’s sake), is easily the most laugh-free half hour of Futurama I’ve ever seen.

Taking the form of three bygone-era cartoon parodies, each of which are being watched by a jammies-clad Nixon (the headless body of Agnew still wears a suit), “Saturday Morning Fun Pit” settles into an unimaginative groove and then stays there throughout, seemingly satisfied with making reference to, in turn, Scooby-Doo, Strawberry Shortcake, and G.I. Joe without, you know, adding any jokes other than the most obvious. It’s inconceivable to compare an episode of Futurama to the films of Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, please stop), but the three segments here succumb to that benighted genre’s misguided idea that simply making reference to something that’s come before constitutes a joke. Yes, it’s that disappointing.

Look at the Scooby-Doo parody Bendee Boo. Theoretically, there’s still satire to be wrung out of Scooby-Doo I suppose, but, from the groan-worthy name on, this segment brings precious little that hasn’t been done, repeatedly and better, elsewhere. Verrone’s script points out that: Scooby-Doo used repetitive backgrounds and animation, that Freddy improbably wore an ascot, that the gang was of creepily indeterminate age, that the obvious laugh track often reacted uproariously to lines which were in no way funny, that Scooby talks funny, that the show often incorporated poorly integrated celebrity guest stars (including the Globetrotters, who make a return appearance), and that Shaggy seems like a weed-head. Points to the animators for accurately approximating the show’s signature look, I suppose, but how about a few novel twists on the concept? I laughed exactly once, and it was at a conceptual, Futurama-type joke that had no relation to the whole Scooby thing, when an advertised cameo from cloned hoops legend Larry Bird consists of Bird’s voicemail message that he was not interested in being associated with the show. Even surefire guest voice George Takei is given nothing funny to do.

The second segment, “Purpleberry Pond” is of a piece, turning the crew into the denizens of a sickeningly sweet product-placement hellscape simulacrum of Starwberry Shortcake-land. And that’s it. There’s a running gag about how the show is a thinly veiled commercial for sugary cereal, but the target is obvious and well shot-up by now, and the only laughs (two this time) come from the Bender character, unable to remain as sickeningly sweet as the rest, blurting out “It’s funny how we never get tired of the word purple—NEVER!,” and the evil Professor’s repeated, identical threats to the villagers. Oh, and the little homunculus Zoidberg repeating what sounded suspiciously like “Bort,” while not especially funny, is a weird callback.

The G.I. Joe segment should be better, considering that turning Zapp Brannigan into a gung-ho cartoon action hero seems like a can’t-miss concept. It misses. It’s got a few more laughs than the others, mostly stemming from Nixon’s attempts to assuage a White House lawn full of angry protesters by redubbing the violent action with hastily ad-libbed inoffensive alternatives. (“We’re gonna blow them straight to He—CHURCH!,” It’s a surface-to-air TELEGRAM!,” “Ready, aim—NEGOTIATE!”), culminating with some MST3K-style explanations of the onscreen carnage. Here too, though, the gags are flat and the Nixon wraparound conceit careens back and forth throughout with no consistency—I love Billy West’s batshit-insane Nixon, but the character’s actions here have no comic logic. The episode starts out with Nixon just wanting to veg out and watch cartoons, and then he’s taking charge of programming in order to head off the ill-spelled protest signs of a bunch of “dirty hippies”? That doesn’t sound like the Nixon of the year 3000 that we’ve come to know.

As Futurama heads for the final frontier, it’s a shame to have such an ill-conceived episode among the remaining few. With this last season being generally so strong, let’s just call it an aberration and move on.
Old 07-22-13, 12:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Though I have a feeling that had this been aired in an earlier season it wouldn't have been as much of an issue. When its one of the final ten ( I think its ten) episodes of this final season, people are probably going to be critical of a one-off/throwaway episode.

I enjoyed it and laughed quite a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.