Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 blu-ray menu FUBAR

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-08-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

So, looking forward to Elysium, I decided to pop in District 9 for the first time in more than a year, and lo and behold, the menu won't load properly.

I keep trying, but it seemed to work once out of more than 10 attempts.

What I get when I go to either menu (you get to choose a "human" menu or an "alien" menu) is this below:

Now, what I'm supposed to get is a set of menu options in that space on the bottom. But as you can see in the picture, I get none. And the few times I do get options, when I chose one, weird shit happens, like a 2nd set of options (like chapter choices) blinking in and out, not letting me choose any of them.

Like I said, I did get it to work when the disc was new, and just once, recently, but I'm guessing some new firmware has messed with this disc's rather complicated menu structure.

I'm using a PS3, how is it for the rest of you?
Old 06-08-13, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: District 9 blu-ray menu FUBAR

saw my BD of the film about 2-3 weeks ago. Worked fine, I've a PS3 too. I don't think there was a new firmware release in that timeframe, right?
Old 06-08-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, no new firmware in a while - but there's definitely been a couple since the last time I ran the disc a couple years ago. But that's just a guess, it may not be firm ware at all. If your's plays fine, I have no idea what it could be - it's an issue with the menu not loading properly, so I doubt it's the disc. Maybe it's just specific to my PS3. I think I'll buy a new disc just in case and check that out - should be able to find one for around $5 at this point.
Old 06-08-13, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you chosen Human instead of Prawn?
Old 06-08-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I tried the human menu most often - a couple times, the disc freezes during the part where you choose from the two menus. FWIW, I have had ZERO problems with ANY other blu-ray or PS3 game.
Old 06-09-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ack. New disc, same problem.

Thankfully, all the trailers at the disc's start up are skippable, so I don't have to sit through them each time I re-load the disc - oh yeah, those play fine - it's the menus, and I did get it to work once, out of like 20 tries now. But the few times where the menu would load, when I'd pick something, like play or chapters, the menu for that selection wouldn't load properly and I can't advance.

Anyone else wanna try out their D9 blu on their PS3 and let me know how it turns out?
Old 06-09-13, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you try putting a flash drive in when booting up? Clearing the BD-Crap (various saved files)?
Old 06-09-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know what putting in a flash drive when booting up entails, but I did just delete all the BD-crap in the BD utility file - I had a lot of useless crap in there. But that didn't seem to help with the menus for the disc - still having the same issues.
Old 06-09-13, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sometimes a flash drive helps load the disc. No idea why.
Old 06-09-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the disc initially boots up fine; the "Sony Pictures" logo and all the trailers before the menu load and play just fine. And then after those, the menu actually loads too, it just doesn't seem to load all the way and I'm not able to select any options.
Old 06-09-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I'll try loading my copy in my PS3 here in a bit. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 06-10-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it one of those movies that is BD-Live that loads stuff that loads crap from the net to scroll on the menu? I had Ted have a menu mishap before and I figured it was related to that.
Old 06-10-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if it is or not, but after I deleted all the BD-Live stuff from my cache, I disabled blu-rays from connecting to the internet and I still got the same problem as I did when I was connected.
Old 06-10-13, 02:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

For what it's worth I have a Panasonic player and District 9 is the only disc that has ever given me problems. No problem loading but every time I watch a special feature, when that feature is over the disc completely shuts down and re-boots like I just loaded the disc. Makes it take forever to find and watch the special features.