Hannibal -- "Roti" -- 6/06/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Hannibal -- "Roti" -- 6/06/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

When Dr. Gideon (Eddie Izzard) escapes from police custody, he seeks to kill psychiatrists who have profiled him. Will (Hugh Dancy) and the BAU team try to track him down by following Freddie Lounds' (Lara Jean Chorostecki) blog before Gideon can get to Alana (Caroline Dhavernas). Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) misleads the BAU team in order to put Will in the same room as Gideon, and Jack (Laurence Fishburne) questions Dr. Chilton (Raul Esparza) regarding Gideon's escape. Also starring Hettienne Park, Aaron Abrams, Scott Thompson.

Episode 11 of 13

Remember, NBC renewed this for a 2nd season last week.
Old 06-07-13, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Hannibal -- "Roti" -- 6/06/13

Once again, I was amazed at how graphic the gore was.
Old 06-07-13, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic episode. I'm really dreading Will's descend into madness; I've really grown to like his character and, let me just say, Fishburne too.

BTW, I'm a little confused. I've never read the books and I haven't watched the Hannibal movies in years but is the Hannibal in this series consistent with the portrayal in other mediums? I always had a sense that Hannibal only killed people that he deemed worthy. The hooker impaled on a bed of antlers in the first episode and his doctor friend seemed, IMHO, beneath him. Then we get Hannibal serving up Alana to Gideon. Not a complaint, I just wanna know others opinions.
Old 06-07-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I think Hannibal's code came about more the character got more popular and was trying to turn the character into more of an anti-hero.
Old 06-07-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic imagery in the episode. Will's fever dream was intense, and I loved how the digital clock just washed down the nightstand, taking the numbers with it.

Hannibal's psychic driving of Will is not cool, but so fun to watch.
Old 06-07-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I always had a sense that Hannibal only killed people that he deemed worthy. The hooker impaled on a bed of antlers in the first episode and his doctor friend seemed, IMHO, beneath him. Then we get Hannibal serving up Alana to Gideon. Not a complaint, I just wanna know others opinions.
I've been looking at it like Hannibal's just fucking with everyone. The antlers killing was to get the police to be even more confused as to what's going on, and the doctor friend was killed to make Will possibly think he killed him.

With Gideon, Will was right that the real Chesapeake Ripper would not like Gideon taking credit, so Hannibal manipulated the shit out them both by having them meet at Alana's knowing what would happen. I loved it when Hannibal came back into the dining room after Will left with the gun and keys, and casually took off his overcoat like, 'Well, that's taken care of.'
Old 06-07-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think Hannibal's code came about more the character got more popular and was trying to turn the character into more of an anti-hero.
Yes.

In Thomas Harris' two Lecter novels, "Read Dragon" and "Silence of the Lambs," Hannibal Lecter is portrayed as a vicious, cunning serial killer. With his third novel, "Hannibal," (which was written after the Silence of the Lambs film and Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Lecter became a phenomenon) Harris transformed Hannibal Lecter into more of a charming, roguish, anti-hero, even going so far as to retcon and minimize the crimes alluded to in the first two novels.
Old 06-08-13, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll preface this with "I haven't read the books nor seen the films other than Silence of the Lambs, a long time ago"...but seemed that the discussion of the source of Will's infection might be infected human flesh? Perfect set-up for Dr. Lechter to keep Will (and his FBI pals) guessing as to his sanity/propensity-to-murder if now that he's finally being treated its determined he got the brain infection from bad meat.
Old 06-11-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Finally watched this last night.

Holy fuck, that was one twisted mind fuck of an episode. Will is really starting to lose his mind and go into madness. This show is so amazing how it's shot. The scenes of Will's descent into madness are crazy awesome. I also like how Hannibal is also fucking with his mind as well.

and that surgery scene with Gideon and his doctor was one of the most graphic scenes on this series thus far.

As mentioned a few weeks ago, I'm starting to buy into the theory that Gillian Anderson's character isn't real and may be part of Hannibal's imagination.
Old 06-11-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by kaisha no saru
I'll preface this with "I haven't read the books nor seen the films other than Silence of the Lambs, a long time ago"...but seemed that the discussion of the source of Will's infection might be infected human flesh? Perfect set-up for Dr. Lechter to keep Will (and his FBI pals) guessing as to his sanity/propensity-to-murder if now that he's finally being treated its determined he got the brain infection from bad meat.
Like "Mad Cow" disease? Eating infected brain/spinal tissue can cause encephalopathy.

I can see that.